IGNORED

Harley wins C.H.P. bid.

OldMotor

Please God, will this thread EVER END or DIE?

Not until this debacle is resolved. wink.gif

How long until the Governator is termed out? That might be a good date to start looking at.

How long until the Governator is termed out? That might be a good date to start looking at.

That's right. We need to return to a governor who awards contracts to the highest bidder. (And then declares those contracts a "state secret".)

Who Can you chase down on a Hardly.. grin.gif And you surely cant sneak up on anyone with nuts, bolts and mufflers fallen off and that smell of burning oil wink.gif

That's the great thing about harleys: there are always spare parts laying on the side of the road for when you break down.

That's right. We need to return to a governor who awards contracts to the highest bidder. (And then declares those contracts a "state secret".)

Not to turn this into a political debate, but did you miss the previous pages that spell out exactly how we got to this point? I hated his predecessor and voted to recall him. I never said his predecessor was better or that we should go back to anyone. I answered a specific question about this specific problem, which is clearly based upon the Governators preference or political favor for HD. So when he goes, this specific problem should as well since he created it. Nothing more, nothing less. I'm not advocating any specific candidate or political party and as far as I'm concerned they're all dirty and I'm sure his replacement will pull some other type of shenanigans that may or may not be worse. But thanks for making an assumption about me before asking.
skinny_tom (aka boney)
is there a limit to how many pages a topic can have? I have a bet saying this hits a 100 pages lurker.gif

The way I've got the forum preferences set up, we've only hit 11.

What is your bet?

The bet is with my wife, if I lose I have to see the musical show "wicked" with her, and forego one of my sat ride. I'll lose if no responses are posted for at least week. bncry.gif

IF I win I get a new ZUMO GPS thumbsup.gif

The last time I was in CA they were picking up school kids

in thirty-year old buses. Better take care of the bike you

have now, it may last your whole career.

mXa

Sadly this whole mess is characteristic of what goes on government. Too many micro-managers disecting non-issues on behalf of product liability.

bobanddianne

Not So...

At least not according to the CHP Motor Patrolman that spoke at our clb luncheon today.

The Harley that was being considered could not meet the performance requirements... eek.gif

And the 2008 BMW has been accepted. 500 bikes in total over the next few years.

I'm sorry they have to ride harleys! That sucks, we need to take better care of our LEO's. They deserve much better for what they and their families have to go through. The least we can do as citizens is demand they get to have BMW's!! thumbsup.gif

I am confirming what Bob said because I was at the same meeting here in SoCal yesterday. BMW of Long Beach, Ca. has been awarded the C.H.P. m/c contract for 500 BMW R1200RT-P. BMW of Long Beach will initially build/outfit 10 bikes with the gear the C.H.P. requires and will be able to outfit 2 bikes per day until the contract has been completed. The LEO speaking to our group yesterday also mentioned that once the bikes are outfitted with all of the gear they require the bike cost, GET THIS, $500 more than a C.H.P. police car!!

Now that we ALL know the outcome of the BMW/Harley C.H.P. bid/non bid can we PLEASE KILL THIS THREAD ONCE AND FOR ALL?

skinny_tom (aka boney)
I'm sorry they have to ride harleys! That sucks, we need to take better care of our LEO's. They deserve much better for what they and their families have to go through. The least we can do as citizens is demand they get to have BMW's!! thumbsup.gif

With short sighted, inflammatory comments like this coming so late in the game, how can we possibly kill this thread? The above quote is good for at least 10 more pages!

...The LEO speaking to our group yesterday also mentioned that once the bikes are outfitted with all of the gear they require the bike cost, GET THIS, $500 more than a C.H.P. police car!!

Of course, C.H.P. generally drives the equivalent of a H.D. in the car world...

The LEO speaking to our group yesterday also mentioned that once the bikes are outfitted with all of the gear they require the bike cost, GET THIS, $500 more than a C.H.P. police car!!

Based on which manufacturers were exempted from the state's "greenhouse gas" lawsuit, look for California to change that situation soon.

Some motor cops "want" to ride HDs. Not this guy. wink.gif

skinny_tom (aka boney)
Kill the thread lurker.gifKill the thread lurker.gifKill the thread lurker.gif

Just pointing out that posts like the above keep it going...

Based on this current round of decision making, I see no need for this thread to end. The process for selection of the R1200_RTP's replacement should be starting by now. I hear H-D has the edge.....

It is funny you should say that Michael. A comment also mentioned by the LEO was that Harley has submitted a new bike and apparently they have addressed the mechanical and performance issues. NOW IT IS REALLY TIME TO KILL THIS THREAD!!

Well, I am making a commitment to stop reading this thread. As of right now!!! But, you'll never know if I just peak once in a while to see if it is still going....

500 bikes, huh? How high is the number now? (oh oh, now I have to come back to see if there is an answer).

Steve (lol)

I still see CHP color scheme on Harley official site for police.

Do they still trying to sell them to CHP?

Or any division of CHP use Harley?

http://www.harley-davidson.com/PR/MOT/PO...;section=police

Wishful thinking on their part? Still, looking at that site it's interesting to see that the competition with BMW influenced Harley to develop a police bike with ABS brakes and use Brembo as a supplier.

What's the deal with "100th anniversary emblem on front fender" being still available? That was in 2003, right?

What's the deal with "100th anniversary emblem on front fender" being still available? That was in 2003, right?

You could have clicked on the history link, but I guess that would have required a little effort.

Following the link to 883 police?

I just don't understand this listed in the police issue category. What is the point other than selling a regular 883 sporty in 2 shades of white and 1 black. How is this duty worthy? dopeslap.gif

Well, I guess if some cities (Washington D.C.) can do city police riding with with Honda Rebels, a Harley Sportster would do too. grin.gif I'm sure the officers would like it a lot more.

Well, I guess if some cities (Washington D.C.) can do city police riding with with Honda Rebels, a Harley Sportster would do too. grin.gif I'm sure the officers would like it a lot more.

Plus the Sporty is half the price of a real Harley. Very important if the LEO agency has an image of unwisely spending the taxpayer "contributions".

Plus the Sporty is half the price of a real Harley. Very important if the LEO agency has an image of unwisely spending the taxpayer "contributions".

"Real Harley"? Some would say that after 50 years of continuous production; rubber mount engine, and new internals, that the Sporty IS the real Harley. At least the most road/curve worthy, anyway.

Sorry to stir the pot but I just found out an interesting tidbit today.

The grip warmers and seat warmers equipped on the 1200RTP are not spec'd in the CHP contract, therefore not really required. In order to satisfy the FAIR BID part of the contract, if and when the 1200RTP are delivered to the CHP, the grip and seat warmers will be disconnected before sending them out to the road.

Since my last post, I have heard two stories. 1) The bid is done and the CHP will get approx 130 new motors in March. 2) Ten bikes are going out to the field for "further" testing before the decision is made to purchase the 1200RTP.

For now, I give up. No one really knows what's going on. The CHP will probably end up with the BMW but we wont see it till the end of 2008. Thats my guess.

All right boys. Have at it. Lets see 100 pages. thumbsup.gif

Archived