IGNORED

Harley wins C.H.P. bid.

OldMotor

I was told in the last few days that there would be 10 test bikes put out after March 1st. The officers who received these bikes would be required to submit evaluations about them and that if they passed muster 100+ would be ordered after July 1st. And the saga continues....

Sorry to stir the pot but I just found out an interesting tidbit today.

The grip warmers and seat warmers equipped on the 1200RTP are not spec'd in the CHP contract, therefore not really required. In order to satisfy the FAIR BID part of the contract, if and when the 1200RTP are delivered to the CHP, the grip and seat warmers will be disconnected before sending them out to the road.

That's just stupid.

The grip warmers and seat warmers equipped on the 1200RTP are not spec'd in the CHP contract, therefore not really required. In order to satisfy the FAIR BID part of the contract, if and when the 1200RTP are delivered to the CHP, the grip and seat warmers will be disconnected before sending them out to the road.

That's just stupid.

No, that's just governmental bureaucracy. dopeslap.gif

On second thought, is there much if any difference? I guess we can stay with stupid. eek.gifdopeslap.gif

Since my last post, I have heard two stories. 1) The bid is done and the CHP will get approx 130 new motors in March. 2) Ten bikes are going out to the field for "further" testing before the decision is made to purchase the 1200RTP.

For now, I give up. No one really knows what's going on. The CHP will probably end up with the BMW but we wont see it till the end of 2008. Thats my guess.

All right boys. Have at it. Lets see 100 pages. thumbsup.gif

On yours, the heatedseat is not standard, only the heated hand grips. Try to make 100. lmao.gif

Hey... I just heard that the CHP might be switching to Harley-Davidsons. Is this true? grin.gif

Yesterday, I saw two Long Beach PD officers having a little fun on the Terminal Island freeway out behind the schoolyard where I teach. This highway is a heavy trucking route into the Port of Long Beach. It begins at a traffic light near my school and stretches dead straight for about two miles. At work I have observed lots of squids doing wide-open top speed runs on this stretch of road, but never two cops - one on an RTP and one on a new Harley.

Guess which one was winning?

Since my last post, I have heard two stories. 1) The bid is done and the CHP will get approx 130 new motors in March. 2) Ten bikes are going out to the field for "further" testing before the decision is made to purchase the 1200RTP.

For now, I give up. No one really knows what's going on. The CHP will probably end up with the BMW but we wont see it till the end of 2008. Thats my guess.

All right boys. Have at it. Lets see 100 pages. thumbsup.gif

On yours, the heatedseat is not standard, only the heated hand grips. Try to make 100. lmao.gif

I meant, on ours. Sorry.

That's just stupid.

No, that's just governmental bureaucracy. dopeslap.gif

On second thought, is there much if any difference? I guess we can stay with stupid. eek.gifdopeslap.gif

Absolutely. The features should be removed and the price of the options refunded to the state.

• 3 weeks later...
Dennis Andress

I heard over the weekend that one of the requirements is that the bike has to be able to run flat out for 5 minutes. The CHP tried this with one of their two test bikes and it shelled a piston.

So they tried the other bike...

... and it shelled too.

I heard over the weekend that one of the requirements is that the bike has to be able to run flat out for 5 minutes. The CHP tried this with one of their two test bikes and it shelled a piston.

... and it shelled too.

What do they do, pin the throttle in neutral and let it bounce off the rev limiter?

skinny_tom (aka boney)
They're only testing the BMW's

Sounds to me like they're looking for excuses to not buy them.

If they need a place to run them flat out for 5 minutes on the road, they should ask us as I'm sure the collective membership here could point to a few (hundred.) thumbsup.gif

Dennis Andress

I'm pretty sure the CHP wants the RTP, most of their bikes are getting rather long in tooth. I might be able to find out more in a couple of days....

Dennis

... and it shelled too.

What do they do, pin the throttle in neutral and let it bounce off the rev limiter?

It's 100 mph+ for 5 minutes.

On a dynometer or on the centerstand?

Your telling me these bikes could not last 5 minutes at 100 mph? Flat out in neutral? That's what a rev limiter is for. Somethings not right about that information.

skinny_tom (aka boney)

On a dynometer or on the centerstand?

Your telling me these bikes could not last 5 minutes at 100 mph? Flat out in neutral? That's what a rev limiter is for. Somethings not right about that information.

I don't know... If they're bouncing off the rev limiter are they being starved for fuel, ignition, or both? I could see how counting on the rev limiter for 5 minutes could create all kinds of bad mixture situations in the cylinders.

... and it shelled too.

When this test was done, BMW had installed a batch of defective cylinder heads. Both bikes had those cylinders. The heads were replaced by BMW and the test was run again. Both bikes passed with no problems.

I heard they were using "fleet gas" 87 octane. These motors were not designed to run on that cr*p.

This was just a rumor to explain the cylinder detonation. Who knows what fuel they used. Just a RUMOR.

I can't believe that CHP allows for substandard fuel. My old agency of 600 allowed for motors to use commercial stations and 93 octane. I know it's different everywhere, for instance over across town, the city PD uses the "fleet" junk.

I can't believe that CHP allows for substandard fuel. My old agency of 600 allowed for motors to use commercial stations and 93 octane. I know it's different everywhere, for instance over across town, the city PD uses the "fleet" junk.

The patrol vehicles use the junk 89 octane fuel at the office pumps. Motors are allowed to use our State credit cards to purchase 91 octane at commercial pumps. We only put in the 89 in the BMW when its absolutely necessary. And then its only for one tank full.

We only put in the 89 in the BMW when its absolutely necessary. And then its only for one tank full.

That's what I thought. I wouldn't put a whole tank of the junk in, just enough to get me to the nearest commercial station! thumbsup.gif

I heard they were using "fleet gas" 87 octane. These motors were not designed to run on that cr*p.

This was just a rumor to explain the cylinder detonation. Who knows what fuel they used. Just a RUMOR.

So it was a rumor spread to fend off a panic of concerned R1200RT owners?

lurker.gif

The hexheads have knock sensors, and should be OK with that. Maybe not the same power output, but shouldn't blow up.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived