IGNORED

Yammy Super Tenere....

AZKomet

I wanted the GSA, wife said she wouldn't ride on it. Said the bags looked like organ donor boxes. Funny thing is was more expensive than the RT I bought by a couple grand. It does fit me better than the RT though. Oh well.

I have ridden YZ250s. Very light. In fact I could off load it from a pick up by myself, without ramps.

I don't like riding motorcycles that weigh the same as I do or less. It's like the tail wagging the dog.

the above statement is true for street ride, in the dirt you want as light as possible, also smaller cc = less rotating mass= less gyroscopic forces.

I think this Tenere is a godsend for people who always wanted GS but could not afford one (including my self).

But before I boldly jump in and preorder there is a few things I am carefully considering.

* Will the US bikes be the same as the other elsewhere/earlier released bikes?

*I don't want to be a beta tester.

*How much does the accessories will add on and will they hold up well?

Has it been run through some torture test like Baja1000 or Dakar?

It would be be nicer to buy one once the hype dies done and you can find a nicely loadedup from a disgruntled gentlemen :)

* Last but not least- Do i need 1200cc on an on-off road bike?

Does any of you Tenere buying gents want to off load a nice 800GS?

I bought a 650 V-Strom recently and realized it's not the bike I'm going to end up with due to not enough suspension travel. If you happen to hit a hole it bangs pretty hard. I'm sure an RT, GT or LT would too. I believe the V-strom has only maybe 4" of travel and it's definately where Suzuki saved money on this bike.

I wondered what you were thinking when you did that, although I'm sure it's more comfortable on a long ride than the Dakar.

I picked up a used XR last week and plan on turning it into a long distance D/S, and need to reach the ground (so far I really like it and am impressed at how good it is in the sand). Did you go one or two inches on the link on yours, I couldn't remember?

The V-Strom is much better for Flat Florida roads and great on mountain roads too. The Dakar is only good for around town and mountain roads and since I had to sell my RT it wasn't good for only being able to have one bike any more. I can't remember how much I lowered my XR.

Any one who buys this bike for any off road other than easy dirt forest roads is fooling themselves. Any GS, RT, GT , LT can go down a dirt road. The difference is the amount of travel the suspension has. 7.5" is only half my KTM 450 has but it's plenty for dirt roads especially if it's plush like my Dakar 650 was. I bought a 650 V-Strom recently and realized it's not the bike I'm going to end up with due to not enough suspension travel. If you happen to hit a hole it bangs pretty hard. I'm sure an RT, GT or LT would too. I believe the V-strom has only maybe 4" of travel and it's definately where Suzuki saved money on this bike. If the new Tenere has good plush suspension, the reliability and price are the next most important contributing factors for me. Bottom line is don't worry about this bike on dirt because you shouldn't be taking it on anything but easy dirt roads to begin with .

You lemme know, I'll take it off your hands

I like the V-Strom Matt. The Dakar wasn't good for only having one bike. I will sell the V-Strom if I can ever afford something new like maybe the Tiger 800.

Hijacking? no SIR...I see none of that stuff...it is all LOVE.

The Tenere is being admired; over 6700 view and over 200 replys.

Folks are jelous and dumbfounded(=amazed), it takes a lot of balls to preorder a new machine.

The other stuff is just comparing other/less worthy machines to this new magnificent two wheeled marvel. As I said , it is all LOVE, all good.

PS: I like to apologize if my post have offended anyone, AND also apologize in advance for other future posts as well. :)

You guys, this is a Super Tenere Thread, not just an anti bmw thread, take your hijack junk elsewhere please. See ya.

Say what?

How can comments about that bike from one of their forums be a hijack?

It's OK to bash BMW in the thread but comments about the 1200 bag issues, from a forum (that has a whole section devoted to Hard Bags) be a hijack?

The valve adjustments are 24k vs 12k but much more time consuming and complicated.

That is merely a restatement of fact about the bike from a Yamaha forum.

Best wishes, enjoy your new ride.

I bought a 650 V-Strom recently and realized it's not the bike I'm going to end up with due to not enough suspension travel. If you happen to hit a hole it bangs pretty hard. I'm sure an RT, GT or LT would too. I believe the V-strom has only maybe 4" of travel and it's definately where Suzuki saved money on this bike.

I wondered what you were thinking when you did that, although I'm sure it's more comfortable on a long ride than the Dakar.

I picked up a used XR last week and plan on turning it into a long distance D/S, and need to reach the ground (so far I really like it and am impressed at how good it is in the sand). Did you go one or two inches on the link on yours, I couldn't remember?

Tim, I think this is what Dave's referring to, this post has no Tenere content whatsoever and diverges off the mark considerably. Sorry Dave, guilty as charged. Just checking if you were paying attention... :wave:

The valve adjustments are 24k vs 12k but much more time consuming and complicated.

Only against the RT......after you get the tupperware off! Against the GT, I will save 1-1/2 hours EVERY oil change alone. GT valves? Egads!

Thanks Bill, you know I watch you like a hawk.

Tim, I was not referring to your post, but you can leave if you want. LOL.

Oh, "love" is all good, bring it!

You guys, this is a Super Tenere Thread, not just an anti bmw thread, take your hijack junk elsewhere please. See ya.

Say what?

How can comments about that bike from one of their forums be a hijack?

It's OK to bash BMW in the thread but comments about the 1200 bag issues, from a forum (that has a whole section devoted to Hard Bags) be a hijack?

That is merely a restatement of fact about the bike from a Yamaha forum.

Best wishes, enjoy your new ride.

Hey Tim, welcome to followthelemmings.com

Firefight911

Step one complete!

Dealer intro and relationship started. So far so good.

If I can ever get you know who to pay me for you know what I could move forward.

From the report sounds like they are going to get one long term and put some TKC80s on it to thrash. Should be a good report, but I already have a good dirt bike for the rough stuff. :-)

Isn't Jimmy Lewis the BMW GS Dakar winner?

...teaches a weekend class on GS offroading?

No..Yes

He was our top American finisher for many years, third I think, never won.

His classes, that he and his wife Heather teach, are a lot of fun. He did a three day one for a group of us Advriders a few years ago.

Here is a shot (Jean-Luc took the pic) of the class where we dared Jimmy to try and ride over this huge log...He did!

1146646363_KmBe4-M.jpg

The problem with Jimmy Lewis testing a bike and posting pics of how it did isn't realistic for us mortals. He could make riding a goldwing or LT in the dirt look easy.

Jimmy is an awesome rider. I have ridden on a MX track with him before and he is just plain fast and make things look easy that everyone else is struggling with.

I would love to see a head to head to head ride comparison of the ktm 990 adv S and the F800GS and the Super Tenere and throw in the R1200GSA just as a wrench in there.

I would love to get in on that test. Riding them back to back in the same varying conditions would really put each one in perspective.

Why do I find my self wanting an HP2 all of a sudden.

I love that last guy, he stacks it up at top of a huge hill, hitting a past verticle shelf ledge at the thickest point, loops the bike up and over his head, almost back on top of himeself....and never lets go of the bike, rolls back up on starts heading down in one smooth motion....that is confidence.

Hey, I like Yamahas and go way back wwith them, a 1970 RT 360 (nobody had heard of adventure bikes then but it may have been the first), a '72 MX 250 (before there was a YZ), a TDM 850, couple FJ13's, and currently an FJ1200, an XJ900, and WR250. The Tenere will be a great bike, they'll sell a bucketload of them, and I'm looking forward to a ride (sort of a big brother to the TDM).

I just like to mess with the anti-Koolaid crowd. :grin:

Hey, I like Yamahas and go way back wwith them, a 1970 RT 360 (nobody had heard of adventure bikes then but it may have been the first), a '72 MX 250 (before there was a YZ), a TDM 850, couple FJ13's, and currently an FJ1200, an XJ900, and WR250. The Tenere will be a great bike, they'll sell a bucketload of them, and I'm looking forward to a ride (sort of a big brother to the TDM).

I just like to mess with the anti-Koolaid crowd. :grin:

I know...we have talked about your Yammie days.

:wave:

I have had a lot of bikes but the little WR250R was my first Yamaha. Put the most miles on the K12GT, then beat that with the Tiger 1050.

Golf is where I put the miles in.

Hijacked again...David I guess it is my fault this.

:rofl:

:rofl:

Well, it is Jimmy Lewis, and it is about the dirt.

How about we add in a BMW.

Jimmy on a big GS at Dumont

Heads for the base of the first dune

132742081_zD4qv-M.jpg

Getting up in the gears, soon to be over the ton

132742085_uVYmh-M.jpg

Near the top

132742088_rH4zf-M.jpg

We all stand around at the base, looking oh so cool :grin:

38174323_EzMZ8-M.jpg

Found a bit of interesting info on the braking system.

It seems that it has a linked and a semi servo break system.

When the front brake activated a pump under the seat activates the rear brake.

"Other rider aids lie in the braking system. In addition to standard antilock control, the Ténéré is equipped with Yamaha’s Unified Brake System that links the rear brake to the front lever, helping limit chassis pitching during hard braking that is typical of bikes with long-travel front suspension.

A pull of the brake lever actuates a pump under the seat to apply rear-brake pressure, and the system is smart enough to automatically apply more rear brake when the bike is loaded with the extra weight of a passenger (based on lever pressure) and when the deceleration rate is high"

-------------------

"However, we think it’s an enduro-bike faux pas to not have the ability to turn off the ABS system in off-road conditions, especially during hill descents in slippery conditions, when a locked back wheel offers greater deceleration than the on-and-off effect of ABS intervention.

Although it’s a nice feature to have ABS as standard equipment, experienced dirt riders will wish Yamaha would have included a way to switch it off for off-road work.

BMW’s ABS system can be disabled, and so can the Multistrada’s, so we’ll have to give Yamaha a demerit point for not giving its riders that option. Yamaha’s ABS isn’t bad in the dirt and much better than earlier antilock systems, but hardcore dirt riders will wish for an off switch."

From what I hear, you better turn your ABS off on the BMW. LOL.

Hardcore dirt riders will not be on a 570 lb dirt bike. LOL.

The Super Tenere's ABS can be disabled, but those in the know say it is not necessary. The unified ABS actually works very well even in downhill dirt/gravel. Think most people are used to it not working on other bikes, so they opt to turn it off.

Firefight911

ABS on BMW in dirt = HANG on, you're going for a ride. This ride will progressively increase in speed as you approach that which you were attempting to use the brakes to avoid.

ABS on S10 from almost all reports is not noticed in the dirt and is fully capable of stopping the bike.....unlike above. Also, it is easily defeatable by adding a simple switch (available already) or running the bike briefly in gear and allowing the wheel to turn. Again, those who have this bike overseas already have posted pics showing steep descents with ABS active and were in full control.

As for the brakes, no problem with the UBS as it is defeatable as well by simply using the rear brake first. Again, through the many ride reports from those who have the bike overseas this is not an issue.

I believe if the S10 works as well as they say, then others will be catching up and we will have better systems.

Someone posted that ABS will be required in Europe soon and it must be undefeatable, so maybe Yamaha is gearing up for that rule.

Greg is the leader in Super Tenere ownership and testing. Greg (Wasp works) buys farkles that seem to be popular then tries them out and if they do not fit the bill, he may design his own. He brings some of his designs to market here:

MotorRad Garage (Australia)

This thread was in the beasts section, but has since been moved to vendors, which is where it should be, tho less traffic there.

I have not read all the posts, so no arrows please

i sat on the yamaha 1200 super at the calgary bike show, id say it has a good chance of making a dent in the r1200gs market, if the yamaha reliability of old, is still the norm.

also sat of the triumph 800gs, a real stretch for my short legs, i could see the street version more likely fitting me, be again price wise bmw better be careful the f800gs has competition..

I'd like to thank Yamaha for not allowing me to make this decision. I'm not very good at it! :dopeslap:

Europe gets white.

2011-Yamaha-XTZ1200-EU-Competition-White-Studio-007_gal_full.jpg

Neeeeeeed Tooooo Committtt! :)

2011-Yamaha-XTZ1200-EU-Midnight-Black-Studio-007_gal_full.jpg

Pat

I'd never get a black bike again. I had a black KZ1000 many years ago and I was making a right turn at night when a car came out of a parking lot across the street and didn't see me. I cut hard right and his bumper just touched my left foot, no damage though. He didn't see me. Black bike, black jacket and black helmet.

I'd never get a black bike again. I had a black KZ1000 many years ago and I was making a right turn at night when a car came out of a parking lot across the street and didn't see me. I cut hard right and his bumper just touched my left foot, no damage though. He didn't see me. Black bike, black jacket and black helmet.

dATS why they make reflective tape!!!

I doubt it would have made much of a difference as tape usually wasn't put ont he side of a bike (remember this was 25 years ago and the bike was a naked bike) and the guy was coming from a bar.

Archived