IGNORED

Yammy Super Tenere....

AZKomet

Phil,

When you are off-roading the the new Ten, how does if feel "nimble-wise" to the 800GS. Is there a noticeable weight difference, or the feeling of added weight? Which bike feels like it has a lower CG?

Thanks

I am sure the Super Tenere is a superb bike. This comment I don't get: "zoom the GPS in a little and get some notice on the curve coming up". You look at your GPS to see which way the next curve goes?

I am sure the Super Tenere is a superb bike. This comment I don't get: "zoom the GPS in a little and get some notice on the curve coming up". You look at your GPS to see which way the next curve goes?

It's a Cajun geek thing.

:rofl:

Don't try it.

:dopeslap:

Yes sir, thought everyone did that on blind hills, AR 341 has a bunch of blind ones. Very good flowing no sudden surprise stuff, but nice to know what is coming up.

Helps with being smoother and cuts down on the sudden surprises.

After a while you can get a feel for the turn when in correct zoom, I like to see the next curve when I am setting up for this one.

P.S. Not so much a cajun thing as an old HD thing.

Phil,

When you are off-roading the the new Ten, how does if feel "nimble-wise" to the 800GS. Is there a noticeable weight difference, or the feeling of added weight? Which bike feels like it has a lower CG?

Thanks

To me, it feels bigger until I pick my foot up off the ground. After that I truly feel the S10 to be more nimble. I am certainly more comfortable on it and I feel my confidence is rapidly gaining where I was on the F8. Also, I am running Tourance tires not the Heidenaus I had on the F8. I don't know as I need the Heidienau based on the riding I have done. Granted, it has all been dry with some light silty sand, ruts and hard pack with several water crossings thrown in but it says something that I feel confident enough with the Tourance to do things I thought twice of with the Heidenau.

The bike feels lighter than the F8 did. I deliberately filled teh tank full before I left today and you would never have guessed I had 6 gallons with me.

• 2 weeks later...

I got all excited about this bike in January. Now, here we are at the end of the season and the local dealers have yet to get even one in the showroom. No demo rides either this year. I think that I caught a glimpse of one on the road all summer.

The local multi-brand dealer (not Yam) pronounced the Super-T a "failure" the other day. Not sure whether it was sour grapes, but I sure don't understand Yam N/A's marketing plan.

Chysler made a similar mistake with the PT Cruiser when they introduced it. Chrysler Canada was making people sign a lease for a year to prevent them from reselling them states-side and making a tidy profit. The initial buzz wore off after a while because no one could get one. When the did become available, people had moved on.

It still sounds like a great bike. But I might just pick up a clearance 2011 Wee-Strom this fall and save $9K.

Yamaha used the same preorder system on the FJR and they have been selling plenty of them for years.

I have not read anything negative from the owners of the Supa T so far.

If I was in the market I would not hesitate.

L

Come to Torrey next week and I bet I can get you a ride on one.

:wave:

....or three!!!! Come find me and you are welcome to the keys to go find out for yourself what all the noise is about.

Go over to YST Forum and it will prolly take you about ten minutes to find some available.

The pre-order program that Yamaha uses has been around for some time and is very successful. As for whether they will be around next year or not, I think that has been answered at the dealer meeting this week and with the fact that the price was updated on the Yamaha website. It went up $600 from last year. Well worth the increase in cost. An equally outfitted BMW R1200GS is over $9000 more expensive.

See ya on Torrey.

There was one left on the showroom floor that sold yesterday in Texas. The guy went on the yamahasupertenere.com forum and asked if anyone knew of a bike left. Got several replies.

Test rides were offered at most of the IMS locations, some did not because was rained out. Daytona had several bikes for demo.

If you wanted one or wanted to ride one, they could be had. Dealers meeting ended today, we will know more about the future sales soon.

It is not that big of a deal, just another new bike, not much in bells and whistles, but what is there really works nice. Course I am extremely biased.

P.S. Another Canadian found one in Montana in the past week or so, saved a bunch from the sound of it.

I envy you guys in the Con US. Unfortunately, north of the 49th, it's a different situation. Vendors are terrified that they will get stuck with bikes that they can't sell. So more often then not, they don't even try.

Example: the 'new' 2011 MG Stelvio that was announced for Canada last fall turned out to be the 2010 model that was sold in the US (and not in Canada in 2010). Neither country got the European 2011 models, but the Stelvio NTX (GSA) is now being talked about as a 2012 model for the US. There is another model with cast wheels (the GS to the GSA) that may not make it to either country. It took a fair bit of legwork to figure out exactly what they were selling in Canada.

Anyway, I sat on a Super T at the bike show in Vancouver in January. Liked it a lot. Hope to try one out one day.

P.S. My e-mails to bordering Yam dealers in WA inquiring about purchasing a Super T for export to CA were not returned. The base MSRP is $16,500 for the Super T in Can and as I write this, the Can dollar is worth more than the US dollar (has been all summer).

Went to my dealer today and they have one sitting on the floor for sale at MSRP of $13,900. They have a ton of accessories on it as well - bars, cases, levers, etc., etc.

They confirmed they will be around next year but have not confirmed method - PDP or on the floor.

Someone at Yam Can told me that they may be in Can dealerships sometime this month. They must have supply problems. Otherwise, why would a manufacturer go through the importation homologation process and expense and then not put any of them on the floor of the dealerships. Particularly when they are trying to compete against a well represented segment.

Manufacturers seem to be struggling with marketing concepts. Like Honda with their Powerhouse dealers. Certain models (such as Varadero and VFR1200) are supposed to be only available from Powerhouse dealers. But several of those dealers folded in Can this year, and there are currently none in major markets like Toronto and Vancouver. So the joke is that I can go to my local multi-brand dealer here and buy these 'exclusive' models off their floor at discounted prices, which were probably bought from failed Powerhouse dealers. Go figure.

They must have supply problems. Otherwise, why would a manufacturer go through the importation homologation process and expense and then not put any of them on the floor of the dealerships. Particularly when they are trying to compete against a well represented segment.

I think the tsunami had an adverse effect on supply.

I guess in the end, if you haven't grasped that this model was introduced to North America through the well known Yamaha PDP program you won't grasp it, period.

As for supply issues as a result of the tsunami, yes, initially that was a potential issue. However, mine ended up arriving via the PDP program exactly on time, as promised.

Expect more info within the next week or so regarding the next availability of the model as the dealer meeting was two days ago.

Went to my dealer today and they have one sitting on the floor for sale at MSRP of $13,900. They have a ton of accessories on it as well - bars, cases, levers, etc., etc.

They confirmed they will be around next year but have not confirmed method - PDP or on the floor.

I was in a Yam shop yesterday looking to buy gloves and the bike salesman came over to help out. He told me the out the door price was 14,4**. Not too shabby.

Oh! none on the floor either.

I was out the door at $14,800.00 even. I got a $200 off Yamaha coupon that brought the price down from $15,000.00 OTD. OTD means everything us Californikistani's have to pay - tax, title, everything. This price included a 4 year YES Warranty and a pair of Alpinestar Scout water proof dual sport boots.

Archived