IGNORED

Yammy Super Tenere....

AZKomet

Phil,

You sure you want to be the test subject for this bike? I would let others get this one for a few months then make the call. Just saying, the last one was no fun when it was in the shop.

The Yammie has been out for some time, just not in the states, and the Yammie folks stand by there stuff pretty good.

They are still replacing motors at no charge for FJR owners that got the dreaded tick no matter how many miles they have or how many owners.

I just don't see the Beemer brain trust doing the same thing.

They are still replacing motors at no charge for FJR owners that got the dreaded tick no matter how many miles they have or how many owners.

Whip,

Not in all cases, a friend of mine John Ryan, Iron Butt enthusiast to the tenth level, speaking to an auditorium full motorcyclists about his recent IB record. Prudoe Bay, Alaska to Key West, FL. in some 88 1/2 hrs. A question from the audience of BMW riders ask what bike was he riding? Proudly he proclaimed on his FJR with 150.000 miles and still under warrantty. Fast forward a couple months motor trouble I find out Yamaha does not live up to there warranty.

RR

Phil,

You sure you want to be the test subject for this bike? I would let others get this one for a few months then make the call. Just saying, the last one was no fun when it was in the shop.

As Larry said, this is a VERY proven bike/platform. I've owned Yamaha before. It's a completely different, (read - no issues), animal.

I'm looking forward to riding where I want to go instead of to the shop!

Whip,

Not in all cases, a friend of mine John Ryan, Iron Butt enthusiast to the tenth level, speaking to an auditorium full motorcyclists about his recent IB record. Prudoe Bay, Alaska to Key West, FL. in some 88 1/2 hrs. A question from the audience of BMW riders ask what bike was he riding? Proudly he proclaimed on his FJR with 150.000 miles and still under warrantty. Fast forward a couple months motor trouble I find out Yamaha does not live up to there warranty.

RR

The dreaded tick or somethin else?

I can't find any info on the FJR forums please supply a link.

L

Can't say for sure. Motor problem is all I know. Maybe company has problem with his extended range tank, for sure the ugliest FJR on the planet.

JohnRyan.jpg

In any case I think the good folks at Yamaha made bad business discision for not honoring warranty motor tick or whatever.

RR

This bike is so interesting. I did not know until further research illuminated that the super tenere was mostly designed not by Yamaha in Japan but by Yamaha/Europe. This is interesting because in many of the 10 or more articles I've read, they all bring up one comparison, and that is, you guessed it, the GS1200 BMW.

Yamaha Europe Had a lot to do with some of the similarities and of course with many of the improvements that I think are pretty amazing. Three levels of traction. A larger gas tank than the GS adventurer. Height of the tenere is between the GS and the GS adventurer, perfect. The throttle is one of my favorite things about the Tenere and is explained to be progressively aggressive

and works really well on and off road as opposed to a rapid hair trigger throttle. Ive read that it hugs the road like riding a rail on the highway. One interesting thing I read was that Yamaha seized the moment in bringing this bike to The USA and other countries at a time when BMW was loosing ground as somewhat unreliable in various areas. There were some references to the Vstrom as well, but almost every article concluded with The Tenere being the winner on and off road. One article mentioned that with the new 2 cylinder 1200 super tenere, you can travel on the long highway for a long long time and not get tired. Very few negatives seemed to be mentioned. One for instance was that it's a pain to adjust the windshield and the other was that its a pain to open the side cases. For the first USA introduction, buyer get some nice add

on features. I think you get the Aluminum side cases, headlight protector, and I think??? a skid plate. When i looked at buying that stuff as separate accessories, it added up to some money.

Another great thing is that the wheels are spoked which they said in one review to be an advantage in fixing, repairing. And the frame is Steel and can handle more impact, offer a smoother ride, but a bit heavier. What a great piece of machinery this bike is.

This is all new to me, yep and I'm learning slow and steady.

We get the bike here without panniers, headlight protector and bash plate as it is not the first year model (only for states).

The gas tank is not larger than the GSA. (6.2 gallons)

I did the demo in Dallas right after riding in on the Multi, I still was impressed with the feel and handling of the bike, much fun and I could have set out for states beyond immediately.

The only recall (happened almost immediately after reports) I am aware of is the tail piece was reinforced after some topcases broke the mount on offroading.

P.S. Phil I have not actually settled down on an aftermarket set of heated grips. The OEM is covered under warranty by Yamaha, if added later.

Whip,

RR

I can't find any info on the FJR forums please supply a link.

L

After more research, I can't find any Yamaha Warranty that goes to 150,000 miles. Could it have been an aftermarket warranty???

L

Yamaha lists the capacity at 6 gallons. The GSA is 8.7. That's a lot. I would also mention the Yamaha comes with a 1 year warranty, BMW 3 years.

We get the bike here without panniers, headlight protector and bash plate as it is not the first year model (only for states).

The gas tank is not larger than the GSA. (6.2 gallons)

I did the demo in Dallas right after riding in on the Multi, I still was impressed with the feel and handling of the bike, much fun and I could have set out for states beyond immediately.

The only recall (happened almost immediately after reports) I am aware of is the tail piece was reinforced after some topcases broke the mount on offroading.

P.S. Phil I have not actually settled down on an aftermarket set of heated grips. The OEM is covered under warranty by Yamaha, if added later.

If you want dealer support, by a HD. If you want durability, by a Japanese bike. That said I just bought my R1200RT. I hope it's as reliable as the kawasakis I have owned. If not I'll be back to team green.

You pay big for that support tho, BMW or HD, doesn't matter. I'm old school, buy it ride it, if it breaks fix it. Getting a bit difficult with all the computer stuff now a days.

Triumph has several options for the owner to have access/change the computer stuff, Ducati and BMW not so much. Buell had the tuneboy, which I liked.

Yamaha has Y.E.S. plan for extended warranty for those interested.

I bought the extended plan on my Nomad. $355 from Fremont Motorsports in CO. They sell on eBay and it was an extra 4 years. I never used it, but the new owner got it.

Does BMW offer an extended warranty?

Too bad motorcycles weren't OBDC II.

You pay big for that support tho, BMW or HD, doesn't matter. I'm old school, buy it ride it, if it breaks fix it. Getting a bit difficult with all the computer stuff now a days.

Triumph has several options for the owner to have access/change the computer stuff, Ducati and BMW not so much. Buell had the tuneboy, which I liked.

Yamaha has Y.E.S. plan for extended warranty for those interested.

This is a great looking bike on paper but more amazing is the speed of this fast moving band-wagon, still gaining momentum (11 pages of posts). All based on a single 15 minute test ride by one board member. Everything else seems to be secondary and tertiary information. Sometimes I think the positive internet info digresses from the mean just as much as the negative internet info, just in the opposite direction. I like it but I think I'll just wait and see when we have more ground truth.

There's no substitute for experience.

This is a great looking bike on paper but more amazing is the speed of this fast moving band-wagon, still gaining momentum (11 pages of posts). All based on a single 15 minute test ride by one board member. Everything else seems to be secondary and tertiary information. Sometimes I think the positive internet info digresses from the mean just as much as the negative internet info, just in the opposite direction. I like it but I think I'll just wait and see when we have more ground truth.

3 years should be good, by 2 you should have a feeling if you are going to keep or trade, at least I do. Seems from history, I last about 2 years max then it is on to another ride.

Duc has 2 yr, I bought extended 2 more, LOL, bet I don't get the benefit of that. Would love to keep it, but it makes me do things I shouldn't!

When I bought the RT, the wife said this better be it for awhile...She reminded me I said I would have the Nomad for awhile too...Only 3 years. I am not sure I want to tempt fate. :)

3 years should be good, by 2 you should have a feeling if you are going to keep or trade, at least I do. Seems from history, I last about 2 years max then it is on to another ride.

Duc has 2 yr, I bought extended 2 more, LOL, bet I don't get the benefit of that. Would love to keep it, but it makes me do things I shouldn't!

Yup, I like to keep them too. '86 K75 7 years, '92 K75RT 5 years totaled into a deer, well used '94 K1100LT 2 years, '99 R1100RT 6 years, '02 R1150R 2 years death by fire, current '05 R1200GS 4 years and going. Good that I don't put a lot of miles on them... :grin:

If you want dealer support, by a HD. If you want durability, by a Japanese bike. That said I just bought my R1200RT. I hope it's as reliable as the kawasakis I have owned. If not I'll be back to team green.

Which Kawasaki you buying? :) (sarcasm! You're new so you don't know my BMW experience of late!!)

If I went back to Mama Kaw, probably a C14. If I am really decrepit, a Vaquero.

Which Kawasaki you buying? :) (sarcasm! You're new so you don't know my BMW experience of late!!)

My first bike was a 1978 KZ1000A. I'd love to have one as a second bike.

If I went back to Mama Kaw, probably a C14. If I am really decrepit, a Vaquero.

You mean you won't go back to your old CHP bike?

Ponch+Kaw.jpg

Aw Momma, weak in the knees I tell ya! :grin:

sized_P1020028.jpg

Source...same dude over at ADVR

Pat

I guess they have the plastic on the seat so no one makes a mess when they sit on it :thumbsup:

So why did they plastic the turn signals then?

In case you lay it down on showroom floor the signals won't scratch? :rofl:

I am diggin' this bike, but I don't know if I could give up the comfort and protection of my RT. Once you are spoiled it is hard to go back to wind noise, buffeting, legs cold , no cruise cont, heated grips and so on.

jOHN mY mAN that's not true at all. 11 pages here maybe...but do a google search you'll come up with many MANY forums...some I am still to this very minute learning about.

Remember this bike has been out in Europe & OZ for months. Many miles have been logged and our friends across the pond are the real beta-testers.

I have gleaned my info from them and picked them apart for info on this and that.

I was ready to do a deal on the Trumpy 800XC sight unseen via blogging and various forums...but when the costs and eqpt were unveiled I - umm...bailed.

This S10 is gonna be a world beater with a company that listens to it's rider customers. I have no fear going into a purchase from a not ridden / not tested stance.

It has been ridden and ridden hard.

It has been gone over by many an owner.

It has the pedigree and the build quality.

What's not to like. ?

YMMV

I have bought a couple bikes without test riding them. I don't think it's a good idea. For me, ergonomics are real important and I want to know more than just sitting on it in a dealer's showroom. In one instance my choice may have been different.

jOHN mY mAN that's not true at all. 11 pages here maybe...but do a google search you'll come up with many MANY forums...some I am still to this very minute learning about.

Remember this bike has been out in Europe & OZ for months. Many miles have been logged and our friends across the pond are the real beta-testers.

I have gleaned my info from them and picked them apart for info on this and that.

I was ready to do a deal on the Trumpy 800XC sight unseen via blogging and various forums...but when the costs and eqpt were unveiled I - umm...bailed.

This S10 is gonna be a world beater with a company that listens to it's rider customers. I have no fear going into a purchase from a not ridden / not tested stance.

It has been ridden and ridden hard.

It has been gone over by many an owner.

It has the pedigree and the build quality.

What's not to like. ?

YMMV

I have a history of buying without sitting or demo. 99 FXDX used from MI, shipped to Bossier City, La.

07 K1200GT used N.C. classifieds on BMW board. Rented car to N.O., train ride to N.C. then Bus last 60 miles to pickup for 2up trip home in 100+ heat and first real ATGATT ride.

08 Versys None here to sit on. Bus trip to Kansas (28 hours) ride home in Nov 38F.

07 Tiger 1050, no dealer never sat on one. PIckup truck to Nashville, Tn, rode deals gap, loaded in truck, home.

I must be getting old, should have ordered the S10 in Alabama and made another train trip or plane. LOL.

Johnlt, I noticed the same thing in the past on some threads, only takes 1 or 2 people posting to keep it running for a while, be it negative or positive. To be fair I have access to a bunch of videos and stuff I could be linking to this thread, but I have been exercising extreme will power not to over do it. LOL.

It may have been tested in Europe and Oz but not on the scale of the GS. The GS is the second highest seller in the UK this year and it has been there or there abouts since its introduction. Neither the Duati Multistrada nor the Tenere get on the radar screen, buried beneath endless sports bikes, touring BMW models and of course the GS/GSA!

It may have been tested in Europe and Oz but not on the scale of the GS. The GS is the second highest seller in the UK this year and it has been there or there abouts since its introduction. Neither the Duati Multistrada nor the Tenere get on the radar screen, buried beneath endless sports bikes, touring BMW models and of course the GS/GSA!

aLL yA gotta do is ask KDeline or 1BMWfan...they'll be happy to tell their tales, I'm sure.

I don't believe it is fair to keep using 1BMWfan's scenario to demonize BMW overall.

All makes have issues, Ferraries , Corvettes Ducaties and so on all end up in shops for warranty repairs.

Any motorcycle forums I followed in the past(when I owned that particular brand) had issues and complaints from owners. I quit reading the KTM forum a while back and just ride & enjoy my dirt bike. Most likely do the same with BMW.

You only hear the bad stuff on the internet forums. I or many others never make a post saying a year has past and nothing broke/bike runs fine.

Check out concurs the forum, about the hyped up C-14, they have their issues just like any other make.

Off the soap box.....

I do like the Tenere ( like it a lot) but like my RT as well. I know I can't have both.

If I keep reading this tread I may have to just buy one. :(

I don't believe it is fair to keep using 1BMWfan's scenario to demonize BMW overall.

All makes have issues, Ferraries , Corvettes Ducaties and so on all end up in shops for warranty repairs.

Any motorcycle forums I followed in the past(when I owned that particular brand) had issues and complaints from owners. I quit reading the KTM forum a while back and just ride & enjoy my dirt bike. Most likely do the same with BMW.

You only hear the bad stuff on the internet forums. I or many others never make a post saying a year has past and nothing broke/bike runs fine.

Check out concurs the forum, about the hyped up C-14, they have their issues just like any other make.

Off the soap box.....

I do like the Tenere ( like it a lot) but like my RT as well. I know I can't have both.

If I keep reading this tread I may have to just buy one. :(

Very much agree. I've owned and ridden Honda, Ducati, MZ, Yamaha and of course BMW over a course of 40 years riding and I've had issues with all of them at some stage of ownership.

Nowadays my riding is very much for pleasure rather than necessity and I find that the balance of function, practicality and character that my 2009 GS offers matches my needs just about perfectly. I am accutely aware though that riding in Europe/UK is rather different to the USA.

My experience on this side of the pond has been that BMW bend over backwards to help when things don't quite go according to plan and I certainly have no qualms about riding to any point in the EU. My wife and I have spent the last 5 or 6 years putting that to the test travelling to Norway, Czech and Slovac Republics, Slovenia and Croatia whilst not forgetting France, Germany, Austria, Italy, Switzerland, Belgium and Holland. And we have every intension of doing more in 2011.

Having said all of that I can see the appeal of the Tenere and if I had grave doubts about BMW's support I would certainly consider one.

3 things.

1. The BMW anything is not even close to the price range of the Tenere, at least in the States. So for me, there is NO comparison between the GS and Tenere.

2. Service, I had no luck getting warranty work without a big fight with local dealer. They do not deal on prices, the parts and anything with the BMW name is twice as expensive.

My little WR has been bullet proof and I wring it's little neck a lot! Hoping the big brother will be just as well engineered and no warranty work required.

3. Yamaha has hired Ben Spies to run the wheels off their factory MotoGP bike. I really like Ben!

The Tenere is MORE expensive than the GSA in the UK and my fully loaded GS is way cheaper. Why buy a copy when the original is cheaper?

For some reason the Tenere in the US is very reasonable.

Most are being sold for around 8120 GPB.

Yee Gods! They want £13,500 for a Tenere original. A fully loaded GSA is about the same (OK £14,250) whilst a fully loaded GS is listed at £12750 (for the same spec as my 2009 model).

As I said earlier the GSs are still flying out of the show rooms whilst the Ducati Multistrada and Tenere are reletively small beer here: not failures but not chart topping either.

In the European motorcycle market, do manufacturers of EU bikes such as Ducati, BMW, etc generally outsell Japanese Bikes in Europe.

Looking at the price difference you have quoted, Doesn't Europe have a planned tax or duty attached to imported Japanese bikes that in itself is designed to offer a greater savings on bikes from European Manufacturers, which I understand but at the same time might (??) explain the sales volume differences.

In the European motorcycle market, do manufacturers of EU bikes such as Ducati, BMW, etc generally outsell Japanese Bikes in Europe.

Looking at the price difference you have quoted, Doesn't Europe have a planned tax or duty attached to imported Japanese bikes that in itself is designed to offer a greater savings on bikes from European Manufacturers, which I understand but at the same time might (??) explain the sales volume differences.

Not at all. In the late 70s/early 80s the Japanese car manufactures agreed to limit sales in the UK. It was a gentlemens agreement and is long gone now.

I believe that the Spanish and Italian motorycle markets had similar restrictions at that time but to the best of my knowledge the whole of the EU is an open market, the UK definitely is.

In terms of total two wheel sales the Japenese are top dogs with Honda and Yamaha fighting over first place. Suzuki and Kawasaki are well back on them but still ahead of BMW, Triumph and Ducati.

MCN, with typical tabloid journalism, published their list of the top 20 selling bikes in the UK. I suspect it's had all the little Japanese/Chinese sub 125cc models edited out. Even so top dog is the Fireblade followed by the GS, S1000RR, GSA Adventurer and the R1200RT! If you weren't trying to maintain the myth that the only bikes that matter are sports bikes you might reasonably club the GS and GSA together and say that it is the top selling bike in the UK. (MCN carefully didn't include any numerical data in their feature).

What all of the European manufacturers appear to have done is say "OK we can't compete with the Japanese on a wide sales front but we can identify niche parts of the market where we can supply tailor made products". In many cases those products are proving more popular than the mass market alternatives and with the strength of the yen against the euru at no cost penalty either.

Dave, that's a great testimonial from someone who has ridden several of the "adventure" bikes. He seems to put it in a different category than the big KTM and GSA because he says ".....for those who don't feel comfortable on the big adventure bikes...." I'd love to see a similar comparison with the big KTM and GSA. Just looking at the specs, it does not seem to be any smaller or lighter but he did say it "rides like a 200 lb dirt bike". Well, I can't believe a 200 lb dirt bike but if it rides like a 400 lb dirt bike, it would be wonderful.

I think it may ride like a 400 lb dirt bike maybe, but it will fall like a 570 lb dirt bike. LOL. It is lower than my WR so I would be able to touch the ground sooner, but it will never see Imogene pass nor Black Bear pass. LOL

The suspension is what saves you on the knarly offroad stuff, WR has about 10.5" and only 300 lbs. S10 is like 7.5" with 570 lbs, which one would you rather be on for dodging the baby heads and ruts plus drop offs?

It has a very responsive throttle and suspension is very good, so it does inspire confidence.

I don't like riding motorcycles that weigh the same as I do or less. It's like the tail wagging the dog.

I think it may ride like a 400 lb dirt bike maybe, but it will fall like a 570 lb dirt bike. LOL. It is lower than my WR so I would be able to touch the ground sooner, but it will never see Imogene pass nor Black Bear pass. LOL

The suspension is what saves you on the knarly offroad stuff, WR has about 10.5" and only 300 lbs. S10 is like 7.5" with 570 lbs, which one would you rather be on for dodging the baby heads and ruts plus drop offs?

It has a very responsive throttle and suspension is very good, so it does inspire confidence.

10 minutes on Tenere forums was interesting.

More complicated valve adjustments (at 24k vs 12k new GS) which will take more time overall and cost more $$.

Hard bags seem to be an issue, stock ones a poor choice.

Windscreen seems to be an issue.

Exhaust mods seem popular.

Over a life of 48,000 miles the overall cost to own the GS vs the Yamatenere may be a lot closer than many imagine.

We'll see, a lot of owners seem to enjoy the bike, just like many GS owners.

I don't like riding motorcycles that weigh the same as I do or less. It's like the tail wagging the dog.

the above statement is true for street ride, in the dirt you want as light as possible, also smaller cc = less rotating mass= less gyroscopic forces.

I think this Tenere is a godsend for people who always wanted GS but could not afford one (including my self).

But before I boldly jump in and preorder there is a few things I am carefully considering.

* Will the US bikes be the same as the other elsewhere/earlier released bikes?

*I don't want to be a beta tester.

*How much does the accessories will add on and will they hold up well?

Has it been run through some torture test like Baja1000 or Dakar?

It would be be nicer to buy one once the hype dies done and you can find a nicely loadedup from a disgruntled gentlemen :)

* Last but not least- Do i need 1200cc on an on-off road bike?

Does any of you Tenere buying gents want to off load a nice 800GS?

Dave, that's a great testimonial from someone who has ridden several of the "adventure" bikes. He seems to put it in a different category than the big KTM and GSA because he says ".....for those who don't feel comfortable on the big adventure bikes...." I'd love to see a similar comparison with the big KTM and GSA. Just looking at the specs, it does not seem to be any smaller or lighter but he did say it "rides like a 200 lb dirt bike". Well, I can't believe a 200 lb dirt bike but if it rides like a 400 lb dirt bike, it would be wonderful.

That guy was full of baloney, just another nerdy dude off the street with an opinion. :grin:

At least these guys have some experience to back their opinions.

Tim, your link is for the old 750 Tenere, not this new one.

Any one who buys this bike for any off road other than easy dirt forest roads is fooling themselves. Any GS, RT, GT , LT can go down a dirt road. The difference is the amount of travel the suspension has. 7.5" is only half my KTM 450 has but it's plenty for dirt roads especially if it's plush like my Dakar 650 was. I bought a 650 V-Strom recently and realized it's not the bike I'm going to end up with due to not enough suspension travel. If you happen to hit a hole it bangs pretty hard. I'm sure an RT, GT or LT would too. I believe the V-strom has only maybe 4" of travel and it's definately where Suzuki saved money on this bike. If the new Tenere has good plush suspension, the reliability and price are the next most important contributing factors for me. Bottom line is don't worry about this bike on dirt because you shouldn't be taking it on anything but easy dirt roads to begin with .

Archived