IGNORED

Yammy Super Tenere....

AZKomet

Been some chat about it already. I was close to plunking down my five hundred until I saw the new K1600. (I know, makes no sense) Now, Triumph has my attention this week. :dopeslap:

Pat

Been some chat about it already. I was close to plunking down my five hundred until I saw the new K1600. (I know, makes no sense) Now, Triumph has my attention this week. :dopeslap:

Pat

That was back in Feb....Before the decision to bring it to the USA.......I know, that tri 800 d/s is my idea of a bike.

Yep, 465 lbs 95 HP 800 Tiger or wait for the 575 lbs 110 HP S10.

My old Tiger 1050 with panniers and full tank was 575ish and it went and stopped fine plane jane no TC no ABS. Plus the chain.

S10 is shaft drive proven with the FJR, 60" wheelbase, 2 levels of TC and linked ABS like the 07 GT, just pull the front brake and it applys right amount rear brake.

7.5" travel at each end. I am headed to IMS in Dallas, dare Yamaha to have a demo there!!!

Wide ratio 6 speed, 2 power modes (sport and touring) 45ish mpg with 6 gallon tank. 19" 17" wheels F R. Comfortable seats.

Must wait till after May for delivery, for me that is like a 3 year hitch in the Army. Course I have other rides, so nothing to lose.

Yep, 465 lbs 95 HP 800 Tiger or wait for the 575 lbs 110 HP S10.

My old Tiger 1050 with panniers and full tank was 575ish and it went and stopped fine plane jane no TC no ABS. Plus the chain.

S10 is shaft drive proven with the FJR, 60" wheelbase, 2 levels of TC and linked ABS like the 07 GT, just pull the front brake and it applys right amount rear brake.

7.5" travel at each end. I am headed to IMS in Dallas, dare Yamaha to have a demo there!!!

That about sums up your life with the Duc then, huh?

Na, I have not given up, but the low rpm surging is pretty aggravating plus having to watch the afterburner is a time bomb waiting for a ticket. I don't do tickets and having to worry about them, is aggravating. Can you say personality clash, me and the duc?

P.S. It does help somewhat, the faster you go the more the speedo is off and the GPS is slow to keep up on accel. LOL

s10.jpg

Uh, it's a YAMAHA. That being said, I'd buy one in a minute. My Dads FJR has had zero trouble and thats speaks to me after having owned a fleet of BMW's that spent numerous hours on the garage lift. I really like the looks and the maintenance should be easy if Yamahopper sticks to their usual set-up.

Uh, it's a YAMAHA. That being said, I'd buy one in a minute. My Dads FJR has had zero trouble and thats speaks to me after having owned a fleet of BMW's that spent numerous hours on the garage lift. I really like the looks and the maintenance should be easy if Yamahopper sticks to their usual set-up.

The oil looks like it will be very difficult to change, you may have to move the handle bars three inches to get to the filter.

:grin:

Whip, you are correct after a close observation. Total oil change time appears to top the 8 minute mark now! I remember taking off my entire GS skid plate to change the oil....arrggg.

Whip, you are correct after a close observation. Total oil change time appears to top the 8 minute mark now! I remember taking off my entire GS skid plate to change the oil....arrggg.

That was about how long it took on the FJR.

The GS skid plate and valves every 6K get old.

Seein Steve's FD/tranny/whatever($3K) failure makes ya wonder?

That was about how long it took on the FJR.

The GS skid plate and valves every 6K get old.

Seein Steve's FD/tranny/whatever($3K) failure makes ya wonder?

Yep, the FJR was a 10 min deal. My 1300 GT is a PITA b/c that oil filter is hidden behind the shifter...takes me 20 min just to get the damn thing off!!!!!!!

I needs a beak or something. Looks bare up front.

Something like this...

03-yamaha-super-tenere.jpg

or maybe

05-yamaha-super-tenere.jpg

I'd love to see the black (Raven) all decked out in a real world pic.

Pat

According to the european press the Super-Tenere' is a dud.

40 lbs heavier than a regular GS,the engine no power,4 seconds off 0-125! and 20% less fuel mileage...

The engine is not as simple as the aircooled GS with watercooling and the silencer is made out of mild steel that will turn into a brown mess in no time...

I would buy one if Yamaha sold it for $7990...;-)

For $13990 I would pay the additional fees for the "origional"/(GS).

Yamaha should have raised the bar but obviously did not...

If an aircooled motor with the same cc is faster and more fuel efficient you have to ask yourself what is the point of that new 1200cc Yamaha twin?

Also 40 lbs heavier than the already not excactly lightweight GS?

At least the new "Super-Tenere'" will look good at the local Starbucks.

Poser factor probably better than the way too common GS-Adventure...;-)

Can Honda be too far off with the even bigger and heavier rumoured new 1200 V-four Africa-Twin ?

I would expect the yamaha will be longer lasting than the FD failure prone BMW.

The ABS actually works also instead of extending the stopping distance!

Guess it just depends how long you have been on the koolaid, LOL.

I would expect the yamaha will be longer lasting than the FD failure prone BMW.

The ABS actually works also instead of extending the stopping distance!

Guess it just depends how long you have been on the koolaid, LOL.

:rofl:

Near as I can tell the price has been lowered by about $7K compared to the Euro ST. That was the biggest gripe in Euroville.

Actually in european motomags were they actually test braking distance of bikes from 62mph-o the ABS R1200R had the shortest stopping distance of all motorcycles period!

Next was the K1300S...

No koolaid,just facts!

For comparison when the R1200RT was stopped the FJR1300 ABS was still doing 20mph and needed an additional 8 meters to come to a total stop...ABS systems in addition to the no dive telelever/duolever front ends give an unfair advantage over conventional forks that will dive.

Had nothing to do with the new Tenere,though...

Took one of these for a test ride (back-to-back with an FJR1300).

I wasn't impressed. After trying a 1200GS and GSA, the Tenere had the same riding position, but a rougher, less fun engine and poorer handling. Felt much less refined than the GSs.

Of course, this was just a 45min test ride and directly after the FJR, so I could be way off...

Russ

Took one of these for a test ride (back-to-back with an FJR1300).

I wasn't impressed. After trying a 1200GS and GSA, the Tenere had the same riding position, but a rougher, less fun engine and poorer handling. Felt much less refined than the GSs.

Of course, this was just a 45min test ride and directly after the FJR, so I could be way off...

Russ

Thanks

Your the only person I have heard from that has ridden one.

:wave:

scott r1200rt

Not that this is in defense of the FD failures, the single sided swing arm is part of the problem, put a single sided swing arm on the yamaha, and lets see how long it will last. The differnce is, they are smart enough not to do that.

what is it like to take off a rim on a bike with shaft drive and a 2 sided swing arm? im sure harder than a bmw style single sided SA

Not hard at all. Here is how to do it on the FJR, which has the same rear setup. Wheel Removal There are a few threads in the "Beasts" forum on ADVrider. A few guys in S Africa and Australia as well as the EU are already riding them around and really like them. Most of the less BMW slanted Euro rags put the S10 out ahead of the GS in almost everything. Lots say that the engine is "mellow". That doesn't mean slow or weak, but so smooth it doesn't have a sudden pull when it gets into the power band. I actually kinda like that. I'd LOVE to get a ride on one of these, but Yamaha is back to its old tricks with the pre order BS.

what is it like to take off a rim on a bike with shaft drive and a 2 sided swing arm? im sure harder than a bmw style single sided SA

BMW airheads with a conventional double swing arm were almost as easy as with the single side swing arm.

Want me to ride one for ya ? I am sure they'll lend me one for half an hour when they see my old RT :)

Go for it and give us a ride report!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Want me to ride one for ya ? I am sure they'll lend me one for half an hour when they see my old RT :)

Yeah, you would be a good test rider and would give a good report.

I did get to test ride it saturday in Dallas, but only for 15 minutes and in a 10 bike group ride mixed with all types, plus up and on freeway then off again, lots of traffic, bottom line, I stayed in Touring mode as I was busy and having a ball, forgot to change to Sport. Handled nice, long travel suspension worked great over the potholes (I could have missed them).

Wind protection was better than my MTS, think it is because of the broad shoulders of the bike. Another tester was 2up on the S10 and I followed him closely to watch the suspension, it seemed to work great also.

That black one is growing on me, but I am NOT selling my MTS (did I say that about the Tiger)!!

P.S. Reading that RR above, I agree on the weight shift on the pegs, I did some of that when leaving the parking lot for the ride, felt just like my WR only heavier, but it responded to the pegs, only slower.

No, 3 identical blue and black ones. One had panniers. 5 in total as 2 more were inside at the IMS (all blue and black).

I like this youtube video, about the worst I would expect to put it in. I like the road, the little WR is for the tough stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

You are reading my mind, LOL. I looked at those bags at the IMS Dallas, very nice. If I didn't already have the panniers on the MTS12, might try them on it also, tho there is no rack.

These bags open small door at top for quick access or the whole door. 33L.

I have the palmerproducts adjustable screen on the MTS12, huge difference in OEM. I believe Greg (waspworks) has done a nice job on the S10 with his adjustable. Not sure it needs that much adjustment, as I usually leave it alone once I find the optimum setting. Had the Madstad on the Tiger, so I am a believer in the adjustable screens.

Typiclly, Givi bags seem to stick way way out resulting in a too wide rear profile. These seem to be tucked in nicely but I don't see a real "rear" profile.

Dave, did you order the Raven? Been looking for a picture of one without the white background. Not sure what it will tell me. :dopeslap:

Larry, ya I didn't even think of other applications. Givi makes good stuff! :thumbsup:

John, Ya hopfully this Truck-Load-Signs-&-Banners-59262-001-ba.gif sign won't be needed! :grin:

I'm kinda all over the place with a future bike purchase. The tenere has tubeless tires, a big deal IMO. The Tiger 800 has what sounds to be a silky smooth sweet sounding engine. The New K1600 just seems to be the bike i've been asking for.

My RT & I still like each other a lot so that complicates things a little.

Thanks Doc, BTW nice couch! :D

Pat

I really liked the black, but it goes against my personal see and be seen beliefs, so went with the BLUE. I don't believe the RAVEN exists yet, as it is a USA color for 2012.

Everyone should have at least one K bike at some point just to experience the MACH 1 feeling, but if you have a weak will, you may be sorry with lots of tickets and I am not going to mention the maintenance. LOL

I'm just trying to wrap my head around this thing. I spent some time with it at the IMS and came away less than impressed. No ride, of course, but the bike just didn't seem to evoke anything in me whatsoever.

???????

It is an anti bmw movement, plus an age thing, you just do not fit the profile. :grin:

The ride would have just confused you farther, it has linked brakes sorta like the GT, when you apply the front it applies some rear, very controlled and transparent. Plush ride very comfortable, course I just stepped off the precision cutting of the Duc, not that it is harsh.

I probably should just delete this as I am making no sense. LOL.

Oh, Jean was less than thrilled when I asked her to jump up here and try it out, she did make an appearance at the demo ride, but didn't hang around. :S

No, it is supposed to be here in May, but I am hoping for earlier shipments.

Jean wants to go to the UN on the MTS12 also, so, already the conflicts start.

I was sorta hoping to go to Alaska this coming year also, but the time will be close for that also.

Good rider.

He can do the same on many other bikes. Pisses me off when in a promotional film they do wheelies on the highway. Then we are surprised that the squids do it in traffic.

2012 rAVEN bLACK S-10 ordered today

Traded my '09 Kawa KLR on a smoking deal locally...

??? What happened to the 800XC ??? Seriously, what turned you from that bike to the S10? I am seriously thinking of going either Tiger 800 (street one) or S10 in the next year or 2 to replace my RT.

Archived