IGNORED

Yammy Super Tenere....

AZKomet

Obviously some people have done it (witness this thread), but I'm less inclined to buy one of these if I have to order it without seeing it, rather than look around at some of the other bikes that are in this category. With Triumph also now in the game, this segment of on-road/off-road bikes has quite a few contenders now.

Even if you can't take it on a test ride, a floor model would be helpful. Am I crazy for thinking this?

Wayne

Obviously some people have done it (witness this thread), but I'm less inclined to buy one of these if I have to order it without seeing it, rather than look around at some of the other bikes that are in this category. With Triumph also now in the game, this segment of on-road/off-road bikes has quite a few contenders now.

Even if you can't take it on a test ride, a floor model would be helpful. Am I crazy for thinking this?

Wayne

I am with you on this one... I actually am in the same boat with the new K1600GT. I have seen and ridden the GTL, but want to get my hands on the GT before I order one. As to the Tenere, I actually saw one at the International Motorcycle Show in February, so I got to see what the all the fuss was about (didn't do a thing for me... like the GS a whole lot better). My local dealer for Yamaha has a few in (I guess for customers) and one of the service guys there has picked up a black one. What a friend told me was that a loaded one with everything imaginable runs over $17,000 (I would guess that would be bags and such).

Wayne

There were many opportunities to see and test ride the S10 throughout the country.

Many of the folks on this board that purchased the bike did get to ride it.

Also the deposit was/is refundable if you are not happy with the bike when it arrives.

I rode one and it seemed like it would be much more comfortable than the 800 Tiger for any distance riding. The 1050 or new 1200 Tiger coming out would be a good bike to compare it to. After owning BMW's for 10 years now, I really like owning my V-Strom. I was starting to worry at the 40,000 mile mark on my RT with the shaft problems. I also love the Suzuki dealership near me . Hopefully there will be more chances to test ride them.

grizzlyoomb
...Long story short......they didn't have a Tenere.....and what a bunch of dicks. Considering the way I was talked to, I can't believe they do any business at all.

Keith,

Would that dealer happen to be in Manheim/Landisville/Mt. Joy? If so, I thought the same when I stopped in a year ago while back in the area. If not the one, I still thought the same thing :/

roadscholar

Many of the folks on this board that purchased the bike...

What, a grand total of 3 so far?

It is a rambunctious crowd though, I'll give ya that. :grin:

It does seem like more...

:rofl:

I had just finished reading all the ADVrider threads on the SUPRA T.....sooooooo.

Seem to be a bunch of em sold...at least 5 or 6.

:dopeslap:

:P

:cry:

The first 5 bikes that I know of went to WhiteHorse, Yukon. Now, that is a rowdy bunch! One had a HD, another ST1300, another R1. They are weeks from putting them on blocks tho.

Firefight911

Back home after just shy of 350 miles today. Oh, how I love thee!!!!

The wind management is in need of work. I had to stop and take my ear plugs out as the buffeting was bad at speed. New windscreen going on and I am ordering the adjustable bracket for it.

A lot of engine braking when stuffing it in to corners and downshifting. Slipper clutch would be nice if it were only going to be a corner carver. Not a complaint by any measure though.

Super smooth and the brakes are great. Need to adjust the rear pedal as it is too high for my liking. Gonna wait til I install my PivotPegz.

I love this bike!!!

...Long story short......they didn't have a Tenere.....and what a bunch of dicks. Considering the way I was talked to, I can't believe they do any business at all.

Keith,

Would that dealer happen to be in Manheim/Landisville/Mt. Joy? If so, I thought the same when I stopped in a year ago while back in the area. If not the one, I still thought the same thing :/

That would be the one

markgoodrich
Back home after just shy of 350 miles today. Oh, how I love thee!!!!

The wind management is in need of work. I had to stop and take my ear plugs out as the buffeting was bad at speed. New windscreen going on and I am ordering the adjustable bracket for it.

A lot of engine braking when stuffing it in to corners and downshifting. Slipper clutch would be nice if it were only going to be a corner carver. Not a complaint by any measure though.

Super smooth and the brakes are great. Need to adjust the rear pedal as it is too high for my liking. Gonna wait til I install my PivotPegz.

I love this bike!!!

Uh. Oh. 350 miles and three things already need changing. I smell buyback....

Firefight911
Has Jamie been on back yet? I rode on back yesterday to our local club meet. :thumbsup:

Does having her on the bike in the garage while I made vroooom, vroooom sounds count?

Not yet. Hopefully, this week!!!!

Hehehe no that doesn't count. Date night should be long ride to the country with a picnic and blanket and the one you love! :Cool:

Hehehe no that doesn't count. Date night should be long ride to the country with a picnic and blanket and the one you love! :Cool:

So, THAT'S how those crop circles get made!

Firefight911

You just wasted a perfectly good mouth full of Pinot Grigio!!! :rofl::rofl: Almost my keyboard too!!

Nah!!!

(Shameless plug for my cousin right across the way from Corbin.)

I just drove from Philly to Indianapolis and back for GenCon. Along the way out I saw one Tenere, and I saw another on the way back. They have a pretty distinctive look, I'll give 'em that.

Firefight911

Just put another 300+ miles on the bike today.

Added some dirt so I could check out the traction control and abs off road. Holy cow!! Amazing!!

Ripped up some sweepers as practice for Torrey. BWWAAAHHHAAAHHHAAAAAAA!!! Winner winner chicken dinner.

The large screen has fixed 85-90% of my buffeting issue. The adjustable mount should resolve the last of it.

Definitely gonna add the bar risers as I feel too bent over at the hips and too wrist heavy with the stock set up when standing. Easy fix.

Gonna make some overtime turn in to farkles this week. I won't be able to ride at all for the next week and a half due to a rescue class so I might as well get some boxes delivered.

Whip, the keys are in it! She's all yours. I think you might like her! Jamie actually likes it on back as well. Curious to see how Louise likes it.

Just put another 300+ miles on the bike today.

Added some dirt so I could check out the traction control and abs off road. Holy cow!! Amazing!!

Ripped up some sweepers as practice for Torrey. BWWAAAHHHAAAHHHAAAAAAA!!! Winner winner chicken dinner.

The large screen has fixed 85-90% of my buffeting issue. The adjustable mount should resolve the last of it.

Definitely gonna add the bar risers as I feel too bent over at the hips and too wrist heavy with the stock set up when standing. Easy fix.

Gonna make some overtime turn in to farkles this week. I won't be able to ride at all for the next week and a half due to a rescue class so I might as well get some boxes delivered.

Whip, the keys are in it! She's all yours. I think you might like her! Jamie actually likes it on back as well. Curious to see how Louise likes it.

Thank you!

I will take you up on the offer.

I will be bringing, the back from the dead, Katoom.

With a few new pieces.

Pyndn.gif

4 now

not me

:rofl:
Witch_Doctor

I finally got an oppurtunity to ride one last Saturday, the owner of the local Yammy Dealership ordered one for himself and was letting it out as a demo. I was quite impressed with it, may be on the horizon next year.

"Someone" I know has put about 680 miles on their Tenere since Saturday. Time to change the oil. I will time the procedure. :Cool:

The most time consuming part will be waiting for the oil to drain.

:wave:

"Someone" I know has put about 680 miles on their Tenere since Saturday. Time to change the oil. I will time the procedure. :Cool:

I am waiting for a Ride Report?

Firefight911

I am waiting for a Ride Report?

Yea, what he said.....huh, uh, errr, what? You mean there is another? Hee Hee Hee!!

Come on, spill it JAN!!!!!

He was busy today putting new Heidenau K60's on my F650GS. Tomorrow the Madstad shield and Altrider engine guards.. . there is surely no way that will take all day. :dopeslap:

He can't find the farkles he wants for the Super T and is acting like he thinks he taking my bike on a trip up North. He says the altrider bars he wants are out of stock and he needs a skid plate. Guess we'll see what's gonna happen when it happens... :lurk::lurk::lurk:

edit: He needs to change the engine oil and final drive oil and probably inspect some stuff on the bike. I betcha he gets that done tomorrow as well. :Cool:

Firefight911

Ha!!!

OK, he gets a break when it comes to the Heidenau. Those are easily the stiffest carcass tire known to man!!!

Farkles are in short supply right now for the S10. Many people, me included, ordered nothing for it until they were in our hands. My skid plate and engine bars are back ordered along with my windshield/GPS bracket.

Some things are/have trickled in. It's getting there.

Yea, what he said.....huh, uh, errr, what? You mean there is another? Hee Hee Hee!!

Come on, spill it JAN!!!!!

Did he get the GREEN one? Or is it carbon footprint black? :rofl:

Jean's Duc is lonely on the road.

My wife gave me the man purse. :-)

I guess she marked her territory well :rofl:

I hear they are big in Europe though...

markgoodrich
Can we talk about something else now. Yamaha Super Tenere indeed! :wave:

Okay, let's talk about the Victory Vision!!!! One of our number has migrated from the current-version GS to a red Vision. I ain't seen it yet (no idiots here; I left Texas for cooler climes late in July). On vacation from retirement.

markgoodrich

I've looked and looked at the photo; where is it?

I've looked and looked at the photo; where is it?

It ducked behind the wall.

It's a satchel.

"Indiana Jones has one!" - The Hangover (movie)

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I am continuing to get a lot of, shall we say, "underground" requests for Super Tenere input. Soooooo..........

For feedback I offer this;

Ergonomics -

A very open and comfortable cockpit with every control being intuitively where I expect it. A seat to peg relationship that neither cramps the knees or feels as though you are on a lounge chair. For me, I have found it to be very versatile for an easy laid back ride, a sporting sprint past many sportier type bikes, or the off road fire trail excursion. Compared to my F800GS it is a mental game for me to get over the 'it's a big bike, I wonder if I can do this off road' because, quite frankly, the bike is mere adept and competent in the same terrain I rode in Colorado last year over the 12,000 foot plus dirt passes we rode. Excepting Corkscrew!!! Not again!

Two position height adjustable seat. Low seat available. I like it and will not be changing it. For my butt, no worries even with my, to date, longest saddle day of 400 miles.

Niggles? Yes. That open cockpit has the windscreen a fair distance in front of you. Because of this, the stock windscreen is incapable of providing the desired protection for the long rides. It tends to create a buffeting thrum to the helmet. The screen is a two position one and the upper position did not help any. I went with the tall touring Yamaha windscreen and this, in the high position, worked to reduce the buffeting but did not eliminate it. There are quite a few fixes. Cal-Sci windscreens have received very high marks in resolving this matter with their offerings. I went a different way and added a Touratech fully adjustable windscreen mount. This, for me, provided increased range of adjustment by adding angle as well as height adjustment to provide a nearly infinite possibility solution that is easy to change based on desire and weather condition. The added element for me was that it also incorporated a GPS mount bar for my Zumo. This put my Zumo in a 'heads up display' position and is easy to see and control from its perch above the instrument cluster.

So far, I have made a couple tweaks to this bracket and have all but completely eliminated that buffeting I was experiencing. At 6'1" with a 34" inseam, this worked for me.

The other niggle I have is the bar height. It is fine on 85% of my riding but the other 15% finds me off road and in an attack stance while standing. When here, I find a bit too much forward lean for my frame and liking. Easy fix! I have bar risers coming that will raise the bars approximately 1 inch. They require no control or wire modification so are truly bolt on. I had to do this with my R1200GS Adventure and F800GS as well.

Handling -

A dream! 7.48 inches of travel, front and rear. It comes with a fully adjustable suspension that makes a noticeable handling change when adjusting. At 215 lbs, I am up there a bit in the preload but not to the point that I feel a need to re spring for my weight. I will probably do this after 25,000 miles when it is time to rebuild the suspension anyway. Oh, and the suspension is fully rebuildable and tunable! No need to buy aftermarket. Remember, Yamaha owned Ohlins at one point in their history so they have quality suspension underneath!

The bike has very wide bars so leverage is no concern. One thing the bike does not like is to be forced to change direction. It likes to be bent in to one, if that makes sense. Forcing your wants on her will get you through the turn but the bike will let it be known that if you ask nicely, she'll gladly respond with a beautiful arc or a knee dragging lean. You choose, just ask nice next time.

Electronics -

Learning curve time! What do you want to do today? Cruise, strafe, dirt, rutted old paved road? You choose the electronics mode that suits your tastes based on the type of ride and terrain you are on.

Three position traction control - you ain't sliding, you can slide some, or it's all you. It defaults at start up to you ain't sliding.

Linked braking - Non- electronically controlled but you get - front adds rear automatically, front doesn't add rear as it is a gradual light stop, unlinked and you control everything. All determined by the pressure applied at the front and/or the order of braking - front first or back first.

Drive mode - This is a fly by wire bike. Don't be fooled by the throttle cables. You get direct one to one throttle control or a more gradual feed in of the throttle. You choose while on the fly. There is no power output change, just a delivery change. Real nice for the dirt stuff or the around town cruise. Remains in position last selected at next start up.

ABS - Here is where the bulk of people can just not grasp the genius of what Yamaha have done. It does not provide a disable switch. Yes, it is defeatable by free spinning the rear wheel for a couple seconds but you don't need to disable it! Ever! Even on technical dirt downhill stuff. It really is that good!!! You will have some challenge to decipher when it is actually intervening too. But, HANG ON!!!! Those brakes can stop you and detach your retina all at one two finger squeeze. These are top shelf Galfer components yet they remain quite good off road where feedback and control are paramount. As a reminder, I have always been a proponent of the rider being in control. With this ABS system, I know I am in control yet ABS is truly only going to intervene when it needs to. I have never been able to say that before! Ever!

Dash - A blind man can read it! Oh, and you can adjust back and forth with a simple button press between KPH and MPH. The backlighting is fully adjustable. You can check the clock without ever turning on the key, just momentarily press one of the dash buttons.

You can toggle between air temp, water temp, trip meters, instant MPG, avg. MPG, very easily. Digital MPH and analog tach. Both a piece of cake to read and see.

Switch placement - All the normal stuff is right at your finger tips. The traction control can only be adjusted from a stationary, engine running position so it is on the dash. The drive mode can be adjusted on the fly so it is right there at your right thumb. Just close the throttle and switch modes.

Did I mention the solar flares for headlights. Oh, I just did.

Factory heated grips do not come with it. They are a $400 plug and play kit. It took me just over an hour to install them. The kit is unbelievable! New throttle grip with tube, new left grip, infinite temp adjustment knob that ends up at left thumb reach to adjust and truly plug and play as the bike already has the plug it needs to control them and the kit comes with the entire harness and complete instructions to do the install yourself.

These brings up maintenance and access -

Oil change every 4000 miles and oil filter every 8000 miles. Dry sump system so two drain bolts. Fully accessible and easy to do both plugs with one pan. Sight glass and easy pour fill port. Takes 20 minutes maybe....including the easy access filter!

Valves every 26,000 miles. Not a typo!!!!!

Need to get to the air filter? No problem, just tilt the tank back on its hinge and voila, you're in! That'll take ya 30 minutes the first time and 20 thereafter. No need to pull the tank off to do a throttle body sync or change the air filter.

Final drive is every 8000 miles IIRC. I need to double check on this from the manual. It has both a fill and drain plug. Drain it, put bolt back in, fill until it dribbles out fill hole, put fill bolt back in, ride. Takes 15 minutes maybe.

Right side panel is held on with 4 dzus fasteners. Under this are all the electronics. All of them in full view and easy access. Plenty of room to add a fuse block as I have already done.

Left side panel comes off with five screws. Under this is the side mounted radiator.

Engine -

1200 cc of big bang, 270 degree crank unbridled fun in an engine. You will notice changes in the motor when adjusting the above electronics modes. This motor is so flexible! I love it. No buzz to raise an eyebrow, power on tap, good input control.

Niggles here in the engine? Yes, there is a bit of an off idle stammer. Boards have already found the fix for it which also shows how user friendly the bike is and how much do it yourself capability there is.

The air screws are set at zero so the bike is about as lean as you can get it. Back the right reference air screw out 270 degrees from its seated position and sync the left one to it. This helps immensely! Next level of refinement involves accessing the Carbon Monoxide (CO) refeerence setting at the ECU through the dash. Once here you can adjust the settings to enrichen the reference fuel metering. Base is set at CO of zero for each cylinder. Majority who have accessed this and made the change have moved the CO reference number to 6. Welcome to your new bike that runs at idle and off idle as it should. Completely reversible easy to adjust based on your desires or not.

Cons? The press hasn't figured this bike out yet so the reviews are a bit tepid sometimes. I truly believe they can't wrap their head around the fact that this bike only stickers for $13,900. An equally outfitted BMW R1200GS will cost you more than $9,000 more!!!! It will then still not have traction control or dual drive mode as the Tenere does.

I guess I have quickly grown to love this bike. I've not had any issues and there have been next to no reports of any out there. Certainly no EWS, FD, blown headlight, can't fix it concerns, let's buy two back in a year issues that other brands have and are facing.

Two up? Limited so far but Jamie has indicated that she loves it back there. She hated the R1200GS Adventure, liked the K13300GT, loved the R1200ST, not a chance in hell on the F800GS. You get the idea. I would defer to other pillions for a comprehensive review here as Jamie has just not done mileage to be able to offer a good feedback to date. Something about a baby at home, I think?

Hopefully, this gives you good insight to what this bike has to offer. Ask more questions and I or the other three of us on BMWST with Super Tenere can probably answer.

Glad you are liking it. But, speaking of Corkscrew...

I did not realize it was humanly possible to pick up a F800GS that quickly. shock.gif

The perceived fear of being photographed next to your dropped moto must be a remarkable motivator. And for the record, I would never even considered using my camera. :wave:

Absolutely great report Phil. I can add, that it takes 6 screws to remove the left side panel.

I have done all those mods, and for the screen I went with the Wasp.com version adjustable mount and stock screen.

On 2up, Jean and I ran the Serpent (hwy 341 on Push Mountain) Mountain View, AR. last weekend with panniers and topcase plus tankbag, she compared it to the K1200GT in comfort which she really liked.

I am getting an honest 46 mpg loaded with panniers, and around 50 stripped. Very happy with the bike to say the least.

On the turning comment, I agree totally. At first I thought, (coming off the Multi12 and 24 degrees rake) we are going to have to make some adjustments here, little slow but not horsey like the K12GT was. But after getting used to it, you just need to zoom the GPS in a little and get some notice on the curve coming up and it will rail into it. Love it now!

Archived