IGNORED

Yammy Super Tenere....

AZKomet

Some of us did not order sight unseen or without a demo! Plus, Europe and Australia has the S10 already and reports plus videos are abundant.

Now, having said that, I did buy the Tiger 1050 sight unseen and never even sat on one.

As for the OTHER thread, I'm not old enough for a GW.

yOU "were" or "weren't" supposed to tell.?

hunt 'n peck -- hunt 'n peck

I'm assuming "weren't", but I've been wrong before.

Sorry, my fingers and my mind some times communicate at different speeds.

Weren't is correct and

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

Yes, Merry Christmas to All...rather you want it or not.

I'm sure the wife will have my Christmas socking brimming with motorcycle "stuff", including a copy of the completed and fax'ed K1600GT Pre-Sale Program form (told her to be sure to order the Red one).

I love Christmas!

Phil, I have the Owners Manual, Service Manual and Parts Manual on DVD (xt660.com). The Wasp thread is building slowly, he has a day job.

Still have not found the service manual for the Duc, and took me 4 months to get one for the F650GS.

These guys (Ducati) making it hard to DIY is gonna lose me, but then I reckon they will gain when I sell, so doesn't make much difference to them.

This bike has rapidly risen to the top of the heap for replacing my GT.

Two up is not paramount but vitally important...if that makes ANY sense whatsoever. I have my own "Mrs. Whip" when it comes to pillion accommodations so if it works for her, it would work for me. Jamie hated my 12GS Adventure so that is probably my only trepidation on jumping in right now.

Did Jean get on with you David? Thoughts, perceptions, etc.

This bike looks to really have the whole package. And how nice that I will be able to ride more than spend down time for issues. :)

Another 13GT, R12RT, and this Tenere are the top three with the Tenere on top. Odd bedfellows but it is what it is.

Jean got on the static display (admitted it was comfortable), was first trip 2up on the Duc and she did not want to start thinking about another bike, LOL!

Service needs on the Duc are the writing on the wall for me, dealers too far away and TOO expensive, I'm out. Great bike and very comfy for 2up. Also I expect the S10 to beat it on MPG and miles per tank.

On my demo ride, (3 demo bikes) I purposely followed the S10 2up and watched him while I shadowed him. He was a good rider and aggressive and the 2up did not seem to bother the bike at all. No squatting on the rear on bumps and takeoffs.

P.S. Keep in mind Jean and I had just rode the Duc some 200 miles the day before the demo ride of the S10. I got right off a premier handling powerful bike onto the S10 in "Touring mode". The ride over from the hotel was chilly (40ish and 25 knots of wind with gusts). S10 was much better wind protection, handled like a GT sorta (long and heavy) think the wheelbase is only 60" or so. Low RPM narrow range power band, pulled like a locomotive, and was fun. I could have left town and never looked back for a couple of states.

Another 13GT, R12RT, and this Tenere are the top three with the Tenere on top. Odd bedfellows but it is what it is.

I would have figured you for a Ducati Mulistrada.... :thumbsup:

I was drewling at the new 1200RT.....If I only had the money...

Looks like it's going to be pretty easy to maintain from the manual. 24000 valve checks, coolant every 3 years, oil filter every 12000mi. Brake and clutch fluid every 2yrs, but it mentions replacing the master cylinder parts. Not sure what that's all about. TBS every 6000, but body panels shed quickly and I think it has the hinged tank that folds out of the way like on the FJR. Wonder if there is any special treatment for the ABS module like on the BMW's? Can't wait to see this bike in person!

From the pics my only concern about these bikes is the rads and fan on the left, and all of the electronics on the right just look a bit vulnerable in a dirt dump. I know the bike has a crash bar tube around the side but they just look kind of exposed.

I realize a 11-12GS/GSA are very vulnerable on the valve train as well so i am not saying one is better than the other, just wondering if the Tenere has seen any issues with this in Europe.

I have torn up radiators and fuel tanks on dirt/DS bike before, even ripped off the fuel petcock on my KTM before, so I am aware that all bikes are vulnerable, just seems like the Tenere has some expensive bits in the vulnerable zone. ?

From the pics my only concern about these bikes is the rads and fan on the left, and all of the electronics on the right just look a bit vulnerable in a dirt dump. seems like the Tenere has some expensive bits in the vulnerable zone. ?

From this

it seemed to take a hit pretty well, dirt & rocks may do a bit more damage as pointed out. A joke from the other site about it being the SUPER Tenere had me chuckling a bit, super or not it's still a big heavy street bike more or less & smashing it to the ground is probably gonna cost ya.

Pat

Looks like it crashes well on tarmac, but I saw a thread where a SA guy crashed it in the bush and wrecked the fan. He had the stock Yamaha crash bars which don't really protect the rad that well. Most of the aftermarket bars are taking care of that issue though.

Yeah, the plush suspension (7.48" front and rear) will lull you into doing things you might not otherwise do with a 575 lb bike.

Even the little WR250R is almost 300 lbs, but it drops pretty well. :-)

On each side there is a hard plastic/rubber guard that mounts with two bolts. You can see it in the pic at bottom of fan mount. (several of the after market crashbars mount at these points) On some of the drops the little arms that hold the fan off the radiator bent.

WASPWORKS%20Super%20Tenere%20040710_06.jpg

Another nice

from Down Under! This guy may just sell a few bikes for Yamaha, heck he already sold me some music! :thumbsup:

Source ADVR

Pat

That is pretty good for a slide on wet ground but i was thinging more of a high side in the dirt. You know low side it but catches an edge and flop over to the other side smacking it on the ground or worse a rock.

I do know that every bigger adv type bike is substantially more vulnerable than say a dirt, but that just seems like there are alot of expensive bits out in the dangerzones rather than under the seat or in between the frame rails.

On a dirt bike the radiators are out in the wind and sort of vulnerable, but they are right under the handle bars so in a crash the bars take much more of the hit than the rads do, and everything else is under the prtected zones of the seat and frame. The battery and all of the electronics on one side and then the rad on the other. On an F800GS it seems like less is out in the danger zone. And on a R11/12GS-GSA the biggest vulnerability is the valve covers and with a good set of crash bars that can be minimized. A replacement set of VC is not super expensive compared to an ECM/ECU/ABS/Trac Control units.

Just something that makes me curious if that is a concern or if it has been an issue in EU or Aus.

Yeah, but the F800GS and R1200GS are both BMWs! You know the saying, fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

The Yamaha is what 12,500. If you want to run up a single track, that is fine, but I will not follow you.

Yeah, but the F800GS and R1200GS are both BMWs! You know the saying, fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

The Yamaha is what 12,500. If you want to run up a single track, that is fine, but I will not follow you.

Bingo!!!! Final checks on going before deciding. Hmmmm, two local and willing dealers to go see.

bONE, I think you're gonna be happy with your color choice! :thumbsup: Also bet, once peeps start seeing it in Raven the numbers may even out as far as the two options go. I love it in Raven!

sized_P1020034.jpg

Source ADVR

Pat

It would be all BLUE for me TEWKs.

DH and 1fan {who is obviously NOT a FAN lol} I was not saying the BMWs are better or not on performance or reliability. Just compairing 3 bikes in the same catagory as relating to vulnerable bits placement.

Did I say two dealers? Silly me!!!! There are five within a short distance from me. :)

I had a self inflicted problem with my FJR while in Ouray a few years ago.

There were four Yammie dealers within 90 miles and two within 30 miles.

I was amazed.

Ive read every post about this tenere. I read all the articles I could find. I called several Yamaha dealers. Now. I know about 1% as much about motorcycles as most of you guys. But I gotta speak from the 1% that I do know. The Yamaha Tenere is a diamond of a bike. My favorite so far!

After seeing the picture of the fastest color today (Raven) ;) I broke open the piggy bank & stopped by the shop that I got a price from a couple months ago. Sales person moved on so I had to start from scratch. New guy wanted a grand to order it & list. smiley-rolleyes008.gif

Maybe a sign to wait for at least a peek at the K16?

Pat

The black is pretty.

Tewks, the Alabama store is 11,900 and he will order for $500. A plane ride and trip home on the bike. The PDP only requires $500, not sure what that dealer was trying to pull.

The black is pretty.

Tewks, the Alabama store is 11,900

The PDP only requires $500, not sure what that dealer was trying to pull.

Yup, that's why I walked. Fly & ride could be an option! :thumbsup:

Pat

fOR aNY of you midwestern/northerners - the Super Tenere' will be @ the HitchingPost in Hopkins, MN this Monday and at other shops they own thru Thursday...27th-30th.

http://www.hponline.com/eventslist.htm?groupId=27168&itemId=82964

Bever & I are heading to Hopkins dealership this Monday to drool on the new S10 in the morning. Come & meet us there if you are near to the TwinCities southwest corner...would dig seeing any of the forum members.

Lunch anyone..?

Tommy Roe??

Bart Anderson??

Black?

Blue?

Black, blue?

Black, blue, black, blue, black, blue........

Damn, tough choice!

I don't think you can go wrong for $12K. I bet you can mount your bags off the 800 too.

BLUE...Black is so generic and it gets so hot....But i have raced Yamaha's for a long time and I am partial to the MX bikes in Blue....JMHO

If you were a real man, you'd get it in this color. The first REAL Yamaha ridden by Hakan Andersson. :D:grin:yamaha.jpg

I also owned and raced the first Blue yz...the 1996 Yz250. I had alot of success on that scooter and it is still one of my favorite bikes i ever raced. Since late 95 i have loved the blue of the yamahas. I had a 78 yz 125, the yellow and black, I had the 72 Dt125 which was a maroon, a 71 360 which was black with the red strip on the tank, a 74 360 which was a horrible darker green metalic :P...i have Yamahas in about every color they have ever come in.

Its Blue for me now....except of course my candy apple red 65 yanmaha 305... :thumbsup: still being restored. Slowly.

In the early 70s, I was on the competition and did pretty well, the Honda Elsinore was trouble for us!

This is not my bike, but sounds and looks the same, just no headlight on the MX. LOL. I rode the TM250cc first and last, after I sold the 400cc. Can't tell you how many times I scared myself silly on that 400, if there were not a class full of them things all around me, I would have had more fun with it! LOL.

TM400 Suzy

OK, I'm drawing on the collective for this. I've done a bunch of research and am very close to pulling the trigger on a blue S10. VERY close.

I'm pulling the Amelia card on this one and need to know what have been the drawbacks, issues, concerns around this fine ride. This may sound odd and I certainly don't expect to hear anything that would remotely kill the deal but I'm sure there is something. Be it bike related, suspension, motor, ergos, weather protection, or accessory related either Yamaha or aftermarket.

I figure I won't go with the stock bags and am leaning toward the new Givi Trekker series......or should I stay with the stockers?

Yes, I know I can figure out most, if not all, by myself but I'm busy with the hospital and am looking for a bit of a short cut right now.

By all means, bring the sarcasm but if there is something to be aware of, please, let me (us) know.

Once I've made the decision (this week most likely) I want to turn my focus to the accessories I will want so any input here would also be helpful. Guards, windshields, etc. You get the picture. And, NO, this is not going to be a project like my Adventure was! It's going to be my long distance, short distance, corner carver, fire road, commuter, 2up, fun, serious bike. It will be a work horse that will get all my riding, hopefully, for a very long time to come!

Dave (Dhanson) is your man.

I have not heard of a single problem with the Yammie.

It sounds like the perfect bike for what you are looking for.

L

I'm a buy the bike then feel it out, then mod what I don't like kind of guy.

But I am leaning towards the Trekkers, no crashbar to start (it has some protection for my purposes). The stock boxes are square and leg breakers in my book, plus the locks are fiddly but work. Twistedthrottle also have some pelican (Imstorms??) type cases to fit the Sw-Motech Monokey mounts. Water proof and crash proof.

The adjustable screen mount from Wasp will be first after the bags most likely and use the stock screen. (may change later if needed).

Will mod the auto type adaptor plug to BMW plug.

Shop some aftermarket heated grips, OEMs are expensive (but watch to see if they get cheaper).

Sounds about right and I agree with what you have said.

For the grips I want function over cost. What brands are there?

Oh, and Jamie and I have now had 'the talk.'. :). Time to go interview dealers! It's order an S10 time!!!!!

What we really need in David Baker to take one for a long weekend.

He did a great write up on the FJR when it first came out and even did a good job with the KTM 950 ADV.

;)

Phil,

You sure you want to be the test subject for this bike? I would let others get this one for a few months then make the call. Just saying, the last one was no fun when it was in the shop.

Archived