IGNORED

It's on! BRR V

Matts_12GS

of course.

and the guest list starts with those who help us move in... :lurk:

Do I have to move you again? Let me know a date......

Hey, it's just unloading....

It's still about 80% pipe dream, but, we're studying our options...

Lone_RT_rider
of course.

and the guest list starts with those who help us move in... :lurk:

Do I have to move you again? Let me know a date......

Hey, it's just unloading....

It's still about 80% pipe dream, but, we're studying our options...

And he has some local help (nay, cheering section) as well. :)

Lone_RT_rider

With much work from Ken Insley and a bit of patching to the BRR website by Rainy, the BRR Routes are posted and available for download! :)

Please remember to RECALCULATE the routes and the re-save them BEFORE loading them into your GPS. This allows the routes to re-find themselves with your versions of the maps. If you don't do this, the routes will want to be recalculated every time your open them in your GPS. There is a very good chance that having to do this will cause the routes to not reflect the original route intent. What does this mean to you? The route will send you someplace completely different than you might have seen when you did the preview of it in Mapsource.

Happy Hunting! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the routes ya'll.

I tried to download "it" and my windowsxp asked me what is the file type? I asked it to figure it out itself, but it can't seen to do that?

also, fyi I have a TomTomOne and I do have the conversion thingy.

Lone_RT_rider

Hey there Kathy. :)

The file type is a Zip file. Widows should recognize it, but if not maybe the file is loosing its extension of .zip? Try renaming it with the .zip extension and that should fix it. If it doesn't, pm me with an email address and I will send it to you as an attachment. If it does, it should extract it to wherever you want it. As for the Tom Tom thing, I am no sure if the gdb file loads to Tom Tom or not. Hopefully someone else can address that question.

I hope this at least helps a little.

Shawn

With much work from Ken Insley and a bit of patching to the BRR website by Rainy, the BRR Routes are posted and available for download! :)

Please remember to RECALCULATE the routes and the re-save them BEFORE loading them into your GPS. This allows the routes to re-find themselves with your versions of the maps. If you don't do this, the routes will want to be recalculated every time your open them in your GPS. There is a very good chance that having to do this will cause the routes to not reflect the original route intent. What does this mean to you? The route will send you someplace completely different than you might have seen when you did the preview of it in Mapsource.

Happy Hunting! :thumbsup:

Thanks for doing this! I will try to load and read these a couple of times with the hope that Ken, I mean the maps, don't again put me on a road that ends in water! :rofl:

Hey there Kathy. :)

The file type is a Zip file. Widows should recognize it, but if not maybe the file is loosing its extension of .zip? Try renaming it with the .zip extension and that should fix it. If it doesn't, pm me with an email address and I will send it to you as an attachment. If it does, it should extract it to wherever you want it. As for the Tom Tom thing, I am no sure if the gdb file loads to Tom Tom or not. Hopefully someone else can address that question.

I hope this at least helps a little.

Shawn

:wave: Thanks Shawn, It is a "GDB"? file?? :S PM sent/email address in profile

Thanks for doing this! I will try to load and read these a couple of times with the hope that Ken, I mean the maps, don't again put me on a road that ends in water! :rofl:

I have been accused of doing this on purpose (Shawn took his RT off road for me several times), and even though I love hearing the trials and tribulations over a cold one and cigar, I assure you it's not intended to be that much of an adventure.

The best way to know for sure you have the route correct is to do the following.

Open the file with all of the BRR routes.

Open a separate new MapSource window.

Right click and Copy one route from the BRR routes, then paste it in the new file.

Double click the route in the new file and change the name slightly, like"-2".

Right click and Recalculate that route. The mileage should stay exactly the same.

Go back to the BRR routes and Copy the same route and paste it again.

The two routes should overlay each other exactly.

If they don't, add a via point to the "-2" recalculated route to make it match.

When you're done, Delete the original route, you now have the same route matched to your software/Map version.

Ken

Lone_RT_rider

Thanks Ken, I appreciate you posting that.

Also folks, when you go to download the file off the site you want to follow the following steps.

1. Right click on the BRR V Dillsboro 5-10 link and select "save link as".

2. Choose either the desktop or an easily found folder to save the file to.

3. Save the file to that area.

4. Go to the place where you saved the file and double click on the file itself.

If you have done this correctly, it should automatically open the zip file so you can see the GDB file. You want to extract that file from the Zip file (once again to your desktop or another easily found area on your computer). This should give you a file that your Garmin GPS should be able to see in your Mapsource software.

Ken,

Are the non-Garmin people going to need a GPX file?

Shawn

P.S. If I dont respond for a while, its because I am packing for yet another business trip.

Ken,

Are the non-Garmin people going to need a GPX file?

Non-Garmin folks may be able to use a GPX file, but that depends on what file extensions the software they're using can read.

Even Garmin Zumo users have to load a GPX file onto the Zumo units. All they have to do is open the file in MapSource and "Save As" a GPX file.

I have a friend who said he downloaded MapSource for free so he could make GPX files. Maybe a search will turn up the website for the download.

Ken

I want to download Mapsource, "for free"

Does someone have the link? There seem to be a number of them when I Google it. I'm not sure what to trust?

Thanks in advance for the right free link !!

Paul Mihalka

"Are the non-Garmin people going to need a GPX file?"

Non-Garmin or non-GPS people can always use a paper map and not end up at "road ends in water" or "end of pavement" :grin:

ONE MONTH!!! :(:)

Does someone have the link? There seem to be a number of them when I Google it. I'm not sure what to trust?

Kathy, did you get my PM?

Kathy, did you get my PM?

Yes, thank you Ken.

A few of the routes added milage, does that mean it is bypassing some of your roads?

It will depend on your Preference settings when you recalculate.

Follow the procedure mentioned earlier and you can see where the mileage has been added.

For example, you might notice the recalculated route taking you a short distance down a Grey line road, then making a U-turn. That's a pretty good sign that the original route was intended to be on the Grey line road, but it went "Faster Time" and sent you on a major thoroughfare even though it was longer.

Ken,

Thank you for putting all this together. Thanks to all for the instructions.

For all you paper map users ...

You just don't understand all the fun you're missing in the aggravation that is "sharing routes" and "aligning preferences!" :grin:

Does anyone "want" or could "tolerate" a roommate? The hotel doesn't have any rooms available. Guess I waited too long, but couldn't firm up my plans until now.

For those of us who are "GPS Challenged", is it possible to simply print the routes? :dopeslap:

Better have a lot of paper, there are a lot of turns :grin:

ok, I am next in line after Jeff Q, Andy Raye and I appear to be coming. any cancellations related to a double bed room please let me know. Or if you want a roommate let us know. we are easy, cheap and flexible :-)

Tell me about it!

I can't be the only one stuck in the office "flying" the routes in Google Earth while leaning my office chair into the turns and making vroom, vroom sounds.

ddh

Time has stopped.........I am glad I have a very full work schedule the next 2 weeks to make this go by faster.

I finally decided on a plan. I will be leaving southeast PA Wednesday morning headed south. My destination for the day is Floyd, VA. for the night. Thursday morning I will hop on the BRP and head south down toward the end. I am open to where I get off the parkway or I may just go to the end. I know about the detours and will check just before I leave. If anyone would like to join me for any or all of the trip please PM me.

Much to my dismay, I just canceled a reservation at the HIE for the nights of 4/29 - 5/1.

I spoke with Zack at the HIE who said they are getting lots of calls and indicated that they are not maintaining a waiting list.

So, here's your chance. Enjoy!!

Tom,

I did get the reservation. Thanks for the heads up. Now I just need a room for Saturday night. Maybe another cancellation anyone?

Thanks again....Jeff

Lone_RT_rider

Hey there people. Can everyone please make sure that they have registered on the registration page for BRR. We have 40 rooms booked for the event and for some reason they are all full with only 47 people on the sign up page. We know people normally double up, so something isn't adding up with this.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to do this. :)

Shawn

Joe Frickin' Friday

Heh...thin crowd on Wednesday night. Six of us (Burt is riding down with me, but hasn't registered yet).

Heh...thin crowd on Wednesday night. Six of us (Burt is riding down with me, but hasn't registered yet).

I guess I won't be going down there. I haven't been able to get a room. I waited too long to call.

Joe Frickin' Friday

I guess I won't be going down there. I haven't been able to get a room. I waited too long to call.

Check upthread: it looks like the hotel isn't maintaining a waiting list, so if there are cancellations, you may be able to get in. Keep trying, you might get lucky between now and the end of the month. :thumbsup:

Paul Mihalka

"I guess I won't be going down there. I haven't been able to get a room. I waited too long to call."

You can make a reservation in a nearby motel and then try to get a room at the home base. Something like this would never stop me from taking a ride... :)

You can make a reservation in a nearby motel and then try to get a room at the home base. Something like this would never stop me from taking a ride... :)

And that is why you are so coo Paul!

Something like this would never stop me from taking a ride... :)

With the mileage you rack up seems like nothing stops your from taking a ride.

Lone_RT_rider

Something like this would never stop me from taking a ride... :)

With the mileage you rack up seems like nothing stops your from taking a ride.

I need to take a lesson from Paul, and with my change in situation that's going to be more possible in a very short period of time. :)

I just made a reservation for four nights (Wed.-Sun.) at the Sylva Inn. It's kind of a pain to have to head back over there after the evening activities, but it's better than not going. I'll meet you in Ann Arbor on the 28th Mitch.

I am trying to open the routes, and keep getting error messages. My mapsource program says they are not valid mapsource files. I know I'm doing something wrong, but I don't know what. I downloaded a trial version of Winzip to open them, and that doesn't work either. I have a older version of mapsource (North America v7). Maybe that is the problem. It doesn't like to work with Windows 7. I have to reload the software every time I use it. Any suggestions on how I can open the routes and put them in my GPS (Garmin 2610)? Thanks.

Archived