IGNORED

It's on! BRR V

Matts_12GS

I'm willing to ride, but I don't want you falling asleep waiting on me at turns :rofl:

Unless of course you want to spend your day coaching a Flatlander instead of beating on your tires

I'm just trash talking because...well, because I'm an ass. :) Looking forward to doing ANY kind of ride, actually. I'll probably be headed for the 150-200 miles length given that my neck still isn't up to par.

I'm just trash talking because...well, because I'm an ass. :) Looking forward to doing ANY kind of ride, actually. I'll probably be headed for the 150-200 miles length given that my neck still isn't up to par.

Damn, and here I was hoping you'd have coffee brewed while you waited...

I'm still up for a ride.

Me too. We ought to hook up. I'll be riding Friday and Saturday. Maybe some Thursday if we get their early enough.

Me too. We ought to hook up. I'll be riding Friday and Saturday. Maybe some Thursday if we get their early enough.

I would enjoy riding with you one of those days.

...if Mrs Whip can find someone to hang out with while you try to kill me.

;)

I made some great short loops in the BRR file Shawn, Rainey and Matt posted.

281 to the south is a lot like Cherohala, Charlies Creek like Wayah...not as long, but both with less traffic and LEOs

;)

Larry, I have a friend near there who has a wonderful store in downtown Sylva. There's also the great smokey mountain rail road not too far from the hotel if anyone wants to go see that.

Joe Frickin' Friday
So someone needs to step up to the plate. I used to be able to count on Mitch for this, but now that he's married and all, I am afraid he's gone soft and cautious on me. :P

Nice. At least I can still look over my shoulder. Can I call ya No-Neck Joe from now on?

If I'm slow, it's cuz the new bike still has the craptastic BMW suspension on it. I miss the Ohlins I had on the 1100; looking forward to an upgrade, maybe this winter.

Meanwhile, in road-related news...

Maybe it's been posted elsewhere, but for anyone who hasn't heard, the stretch of I-40 that was closed last fall due to a major rockslide opened again this weekend. One lane westbound, but traffic is getting through. One more route option for you, David...:dopeslap:

Looks like I picked up another chaser.

That will make it 5 for Thursday.

Lets see if I can get these guys lost in them hills. :D

So someone needs to step up to the plate. I used to be able to count on Mitch for this, but now that he's married and all, I am afraid he's gone soft and cautious on me. :P

Nice. At least I can still look over my shoulder. Can I call ya No-Neck Joe from now on?

If I'm slow, it's cuz the new bike still has the craptastic BMW suspension on it. I miss the Ohlins I had on the 1100; looking forward to an upgrade, maybe this winter.

Still not admitting the dump truck episode huh? I think he was running stock suspension :P

roadscholar

;)

Larry, I have a friend near there who has a wonderful store in downtown Sylva. There's also the great smokey mountain rail road not too far from the hotel if anyone wants to go see that.

Matt, I was by there last Saturday, the train has moved to Bryson City and runs out of there now but is still worth doing. Downtown Waynesville usually always has something going on too.

Looks like I may be hanging around the periphery on the weekend and will be looking to do some riding, probably street one day and dirt one or two days. There are some excellent (paved) roads within 10-15 miles of the hotel that are still largely unknown, I'd be happy to point them out and do a little hooning also.

roadscholar
Looks like I picked up another chaser.

That will make it 5 for Thursday.

Lets see if I can get these guys lost in them hills. :D

Bernie, over the years I've honed it down to this. Jesup to Washington: 169, 129, 23, 192, Cross and Green, Kennedy Rd., US 1, Bus. 1 into Louisville, straight at 4-way, 171, 80. No traffic, few straights, lots of hills, and nice scenery. Slow down in Gibson, everywhere else is fair game. It's as quick as the main routes.

Just a note that I'm looking for someone to go sinning with, as in hooning. There's a lot of pent up hooning in me at the moment. I'm not looking for someone who makes excuses, whines about leaves on the road, trembles at the sign of rain-slick yellow lines. None of that.

And here I thought you were past all of that .... Track Boy.

..well, because I'm an ass. :)

Sheew, glad we got that out of the way :rofl:

Joe Frickin' Friday
Still not admitting the dump truck episode huh? I think he was running stock suspension :P

I will admit to being a chickenshit when it comes to passing. Sorry about that. :dopeslap:

David, will you be riding your bike to BRR this time, or trailering it (again)? I know Nashville's pretty far away; if you get tired and need to break it up into two days, there are some nice hotels around Chatanooga. We'll be here whenever you get in, just take your time. :P:rofl:

I will be trailering (again). But you do get the award for the first "trailering" comment. :grin: Be sure to dog Shannon about it, too.

".... then there's the bisquit guy Alton Brown featured in the first episode of Feasting on Asphalt, don't remember the name."

Would that be the "Bones Bisquit Bar and Grill"?

I will be trailering (again).

Hmmmm! Your trailering...Spike is coming....does this mean the Blairsville witch will be there :rofl:

Launch aborted!

Heavy wet snow and 33 degrees in New England.

After 40 miles I decided it was not worth the aggravation. Try again tomorrow.

roadscholar

".... then there's the bisquit guy Alton Brown featured in the first episode of Feasting on Asphalt, don't remember the name."

Would that be the "Bones Bisquit Bar and Grill"?

Maybe, although the show didn't give the appearance it was a drinking establishment. Might be worth a look.

I will be trailering (again).

Hmmmm! Your trailering...Spike is coming....does this mean the Blairsville witch will be there :rofl:

I was thinking of you and your ride south when I heard the weather for the Northeast on the way into work this morning.

Most likely a wise decision.

Ride safely,

My previous post was supposed to quote TomK's post, but I messed up somehow and then tried to edit the post.

Oh well, only a few more days.

Joe Frickin' Friday

As noted in an earlier post of mine, I-40 between Ashville and the NC/TN border is now open in both directions. It was closed last fall due to a major rockslide, but both eastbound lanes are open, and one westbound lane is open.

Also, haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else, so I'll report this here: according to the latest info I can find, Deals Gap is open but is only accessible from the south side, and even then only from 8AM to 8PM. You can ride north through the gap to within a couple of miles of the rockslide (on US129 just south of the Foothills Parkway), but the only way out is to turn back south again. Map showing location of closure.

Because Deals Gap is not currently a thru-road, anyone traveling to BRR from the north or west will need to come across the Skyway (TN165/NC143), US74, or pass through Smoky Mountain Nat'l Park on US441, or take I-40 all the way over to Maggie Valley and then head west on US19.

Although Great Smoky Mountains National Park is a (duh) national park, there is no entrance fee, so you won't be charged for passing through on US-441 if you choose that route.

The Rumble In The Hills motorcycle rally is happening in Pigeon Forge this weekend, so anyone headed north through Smokey Mountain Nat'l Park on Sunday may run into crowded roads, especially if you end up going right through Pigeon Forge. After passing through most of SMNP it's possible to detour west on Little River Road (just before reaching Gatlinburg); if you're headed to/through Knoxville, this only adds 14 miles to your distance, but may save you from crawling through Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge/Sevierville.

The Dragon being open for u-turns is much better than being closed all together. It should keep some other roads squid and Hog free :clap:

Wow, I haven't heard of the witch in a loooong time. You coming with the famous silly fluid?

Spike

Looks like I'm trailering it! :(

The good side is I'm arriving a day earlier! :)

See you there tomorrow night, Matt.

Well then, pick up some more beer, we'll be fine!

Should I trailer from Atlanta so I'll fit in? :rofl:

Should I trailer from Atlanta so I'll fit in? :rofl:

Only if you're going to wash it once you take it off the trailer

I just finished planning a route for you adventure minded riders. It includes Wayah Rd. to 74-19 to 129 to Old Tallulah to The Cherohola. The fun begins on 81 (dirt that can be ridden two up or on a street bike ) It crosses under the Cherohola and that's where the fun begins with an all day ride exploring many miles of dirt roads along rivers etc. For those who had enough dirt , you can jump on the Cherohola and stay on pavement. Lunch will be somewhere in Tellico .A late breakfast or snacks along the way.There should be many beautiful places to stop for pictures and breaks.I've only gone as far as the bailout so I'm not 100% sure on the street bikes after there, but you can make a decision at that point which way you want to go. The day is not definate yet but I'm shooting for Friday as the weather calls for Sunny, and so far, Sat. and Sun. call for rain. I'm staying in Franklin but hope to get to the hotel as much as possible. My # is 386-405-two five three zero. Hopefully some of you will join in. Bill Ferran will lead on my other day of riding. I'm excited now.

Anyone got a twinmax they can bring along? I think we may have need for one...

Hi Matt,

I've got one. Good timing; I'm finishing up packing (leaving tomorrow morning). I'll go stick it in the sidecase.

Anyone got a twinmax they can bring along? I think we may have need for one...

I'm about to hit the pillow, but if I think of it I will grab mine on the way to the bike in the morning. You can borrow it if you promise to clean my bike (which hasn't been cleaned since about Thanksgiving :eek:).

Finally packed and going to bed! Hope to be on the road by 6:00 AM

Staying with a friend in Asheville tomorrow night and should arrive early afternoon at the hotel. Looking forward to seeing all of you!

Headed out on a quest to make a ~100 mile ride take a couple tanks of gas. :grin:

See everyone this evening in Dillsboro.

David

Alright, you ya-hoons. I've been following this thread for months, wishing I could go, and thus living vicariously through you all. Don't disappoint me this weekend. Have fun, ride safe and carve that blackstone. Someone hit the Patron for me! (That would be you, Shawn.)

Archived