IGNORED

Anybody go for ride today? Got Pictures?

Redman

I was going to make a wise crack about the Bud Light in the background but couldn't come up with anything that wouldn't be offensive. I haven't given up entirely as I am sure Tewks will make his rounds at some point. :3:

11 minutes ago, taylor1 said:

I was going to make a wise crack about the Bud Light in the background but couldn't come up with anything that wouldn't be offensive. I haven't given up entirely as I am sure Tewks will make his rounds at some point. :3:

Knowing how frugal most BMW riders are, Budweiser found its new audience, the beer was free. :dontknow: :spittake:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Lone_RT_rider
10 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

Knowing how frugal most BMW riders are, Budweiser found its new audience, the beer was free. :dontknow: :spittake:

Pat, 

You know I have been home brewing for 20 plus years and would not be caught dead drinking that "sex in a boat" beer. 

• Haha 2
3 minutes ago, Lone_RT_rider said:

drinking that "sex in a boat" beer.

I’ll be right back, I have to look that up. :5146:

• Like 1
Dennis Andress
8 hours ago, Lowndes said:

Yeah, we went for a ride.

image.png.aa3ee6273c81e2fd3bcb00f57e215312.png

I can’t think of anything that better exemplifies this discussion board….

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Smile 4

I dropped off the bike for service last week and they gave me this as a loaner. What a hoot. 
IMG_0407.thumb.jpeg.560337f9d067c319cc75aaacef54b83a.jpeg

I dropped it off today and picked up the gsa,  and headed up Angeles crest to big Tujunga.  64° at clear creek. 

• Like 8
48 minutes ago, Dennis Andress said:

:19:   Now I've got to go there...

IMG_5298.jpeg.35d59c7fed2ee95802d3407768

Funny when I rode Nova Scotia I think I took the same photos!   It's a great place and a motorcycle bucket list item. 

Michiganr80rt
7 hours ago, RTinNC said:

Funny when I rode Nova Scotia I think I took the same photos!   It's a great place and a motorcycle bucket list item. 

It has been on my bucket list for a while. This was my third attempt at riding Cape Breton. In 2011 I got to Nova Scotia with the R80RT but had to head back before Cape Breton due to incoming weather and limited vacation time. In 2019 I was on my way when hurricane Dorian decided to go to NS and I decided to visit Vermont. This year the trip was delayed due to bike issues but I ended up with perfect riding weather in NS. I left one day early due to incoming weather and did a lot of riding in rain in Ontario but it was a good trip.  

31 minutes ago, Michiganr80rt said:

It has been on my bucket list for a while. This was my third attempt at riding Cape Breton. In 2011 I got to Nova Scotia with the R80RT but had to head back before Cape Breton due to incoming weather and limited vacation time. In 2019 I was on my way when hurricane Dorian decided to go to NS and I decided to visit Vermont. This year the trip was delayed due to bike issues but I ended up with perfect riding weather in NS. I left one day early due to incoming weather and did a lot of riding in rain in Ontario but it was a good trip.  

We got really lucky in 2019 when we rode up that way.  We attended Americade in Lake George NY and then continued over to Maine and then into Canada.  We told the fewer from New Brunswick to Digby and then up to the Cabot Trail.  The weather was really good except for crazy strong wind the day we rode Cabot.  But from what others have told me having a sunny day with just wind is pretty good.   Would love to go back as the folks in the Maritimes were very friendly and the roads were great. 

i-F5qJPnj-X2.jpg

i-6LHnmWq-X2.jpg

• Like 5
John Ranalletta

Likely, the last hoorah for '23.  In Natural Bridge State Park, KY for 1.5 days of riding.  The day started out cloudy.  We got a bit of rain and a bit of sunshine; so, all in all, a great day o

Unloading at the "resort".  Maybe "last resort" is more fitting.  Underfunded, thread bare but still the best place near here.

IMG_0367.thumb.JPG.ad9e4b48c6c87830b0d43f451a4c2436.JPG

Met a couple orginally from Columia but now from Cincinnati.  Daniel & Lena riding an '08 GS.  They were just leaving. Unfortunately, I didn't have a BMWST card to give to them.

image.thumb.png.7798a0dafc6b558b0a96ade405813801.png

The first ride of the day was rte. 77 through Nada Tunnel.  I posted a vid of the tunnel last year.  The road to and beyond is simply wonderful.  In the vid you'll notice me veering to the right and then to the left.  Not sure why, but I became disoriented.  The parade of bikes and cars ahead were moving at a walk's pace.

At dusk, we took a ride in the X3 to explore just beyond the tunnel.  Routed over and around the river gorges, the roads are tight, curvy and mostly in great condition.  we'll ride them next time.

IMG_0369.thumb.JPG.a8fb8234ee97435c589fd25940dbc9fb.JPG

image.png.4cce82fdc434708d2659687f771fe7e3.png

Tomorrow's route is long and takes us down through coal country (Hazard) and then back up some twisty roads.  Should be fun.

image.thumb.png.f82f3317c481587c666683ee3a7bb2f9.png

• Like 7
  • Smile 1
14 hours ago, John Ranalletta said:

Likely, the last hoorah for '23.  In Natural Bridge State Park, KY for 1.5 days of riding.  The day started out cloudy.  We got a bit of rain and a bit of sunshine; so, all in all, a great day o

Unloading at the "resort".  Maybe "last resort" is more fitting.  Underfunded, thread bare but still the best place near here.

Met a couple orginally from Columia but now from Cincinnati.  Daniel & Lena riding an '08 GS.  They were just leaving. Unfortunately, I didn't have a BMWST card to give to them.

The first ride of the day was rte. 77 through Nada Tunnel.  I posted a vid of the tunnel last year.  The road to and beyond is simply wonderful.  In the vid you'll notice me veering to the right and then to the left.  Not sure why, but I became disoriented.  The parade of bikes and cars ahead were moving at a walk's pace.

At dusk, we took a ride in the X3 to explore just beyond the tunnel.  Routed over and around the river gorges, the roads are tight, curvy and mostly in great condition.  we'll ride them next time.

Tomorrow's route is long and takes us down through coal country (Hazard) and then back up some twisty roads.  Should be fun.

Nada Tunnel is neat but the Dingess tunnel is much longer and pretty spooky to ride.  Think it may be in the same area.  That is a very neat area to ride for sure. i-qTxwcq7-X2.jpg

• Like 3
On 10/12/2023 at 12:07 AM, Dennis Andress said:

:19:   Now I've got to go there...

IMG_5298.jpeg.35d59c7fed2ee95802d3407768

We were there several years ago and some sections of road - and had to turn around and do twice ! :4323:

15 hours ago, John Ranalletta said:

In the vid you'll notice me veering to the right and then to the left.  Not sure why, but I became disoriented

I’m guessing you didn’t have an aiming point (tunnel exit) with the car in front of you. :dontknow: A similar feeling came over me when I rode the Tunnel of Death in WV.

edit… Dang, by Ed’s post they put lightning in the Dingess, aka the “tunnel of death”! :mad: What’s next, styrofoam walls? :ohboy:

Nice post John! :thumbsup:

25 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

I’m guessing you didn’t have an aiming point (tunnel exit) with the car in front of you. :dontknow: A similar feeling came over me when I rode the Tunnel of Death in WV.

edit… Dang, by Ed’s post they put lightning in the Dingess, aka the “tunnel of death”! :mad: What’s next, styrofoam walls? :ohboy:

Nice post John! :thumbsup:

Yikes !!  Had I known it was called the "tunnel of death" I may have passed on the ride through.   Fortunately I was with 2 other guys and let them "lead" they way and let me know if there was traffic coming the other way :classic_laugh:

Honestly the name may come from the origin of the tunnel where folks its the town wanted to know who was coming into town .... According to the tales, African Americans and Chinese immigrants suffered the worst of the abuse, as they would often face hostile locals waiting at either end of the tunnel with guns, ready to shoot anyone who looked different than the homogeneous local population.

https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/west-virginia/bloody-mingo-dingess-tunnel-wv/

• Like 1

See now, you learn something new everyday. I thought I heard that there was a “cemetery” above the tunnel and that’s how it got its name. Or, how I first heard about the tunnel was some five or so BMWST-ers hit it at about fifty MPH while in very close proximity to each other and the name was coined then. :spittake:

47 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

See now, you learn something new everyday. I thought I heard that there was a “cemetery” above the tunnel and that’s how it got its name. Or, how I first heard about the tunnel was some five or so BMWST-ers hit it at about fifty MPH while in very close proximity to each other and the name was coined then:spittake:

LOL .... now THAT I can believe ! :3:

• Haha 1
John Ranalletta
5 hours ago, BamaJohn said:

Two weeks of a blown up left hand have me side-lined right now...but this too shall pass.

IMG_7211.jpg

Damn!  Hope it doesn't feel as painful as it appears. Heal quickly. 

• Thanks 1
John Ranalletta
22 hours ago, John Ranalletta said:

Day 2 = wet, cold.  Couldn't do the entire route.  We'll be back though.

• Sad 1
10 hours ago, BamaJohn said:

Two weeks of a blown up left hand have me side-lined right now...but this too shall pass.

IMG_7211.jpg

Well, what's the other guys face look like?

• Haha 4
16 minutes ago, Chef Paul said:

F.O.R.D. pickup was found on road dead

They usually don’t die as long as you “Fix Or Repair Daily! :spittake: 

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
  • Smile 1

@Chef Paul besides noticing the pumpkin butts, I see your GS has changed color? I was going to ask you what you thought of the new R 1300 GS coming out but I think I have the answer. :spittake:

48 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

@Chef Paul besides noticing the pumpkin butts, I see your GS has changed color? I was going to ask you what you thought of the new R 1300 GS coming out but I think I have the answer. :spittake:

48 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

Very observant of you Tewks! 

When can we ride together again to see it in person?

• Like 1

35 miles of LA traffic

40 miles of mountain roads to see the view at Moint Wilson 

35 miles of lane splitting traffic 

It doesn't add up 20231018_155053.thumb.jpg.77511d328fe2b36af319c1bdd4fee37e.jpg

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

@Chef Paul I’d love to get in one more day ride! :18: Saturday Sunday and Monday are booked, let’s check the weather for mid next week, I’ll see if I can get a free “Mr Mom day” ! :spittake:

9 minutes ago, Chef Paul said:

Anyday except Wednesday.  I have go up to MAX in NH for the 600 mi. Run in check / software update.

Good luck and many happy (s)miles with your new GS.

Nice ^ Church looks familiar but I can’t place it.. :5146:

Hey, what’s your deal with Max BMW and your service? You waiting and then riding home of just leaving it there? I gotta get up there for some 1300 talk :14: and probably just buy some oil. :4323: 

Coastal route back maybe stopping at Brown’s or Markey’s for lunch?

10 hours ago, Chef Paul said:

Even the neighbors were wondering why such a nice F.O.R.D. pickup was found on road dead.

20231019PunkinPeople.thumb.jpg.b5163d2d3c23c947ec33b6d83ffdd87c.jpg

Congratulations Paul.  Very nice, I like the colors.  Don't park it too close to that Ford, who knows what it might catch

• Like 1