IGNORED

Anybody go for ride today? Got Pictures?

Redman

On 11/30/2023 at 8:55 PM, Michiganr80rt said:

Not today, but two weeks ago I road the Lake Michigan shoreline to Sleeping Bear Dunes. it turns out that is my last ride for a while. I fell on an icy sidewalk Tuesday and detached my quadriceps tendon. Surgery next week, my doc said to plan ov riding again about September.   IMG_5436.thumb.jpeg.4e93d2d66f7e12448817836b585cbeff.jpeg

Yikes.

Not Good.

From walking and slipping falling on ice . ! . !

At least you got in your NovaScotia ride.

Man, that is a long recovery time.

• Sad 1

Bad weather and other stuff going on, havent had RT out much in last few weeks.

BUt have some occassions of low-mid 40s without rain in last week or so, and did get RT out for short rides.

Had a couple sunrise/breakfast rides, an afternoon ride, and a couple sunset rides.

IMG_8805_91_08_RT_w4200.thumb.jpg.b6add7fb51e9cfb0299d527e8acd7a80.jpg

Grand Haven Mich

Suppose to be getting back to rainy and colder, and snow.

ANd I need to get back to attending to the luggage (one flap broke internally, two others hard to operate).

• Like 7
Dennis Andress

Looking south from the Texas Canyon rest area on I-10. There’s a little town called Dragoon on there other side of the rocks. 
IMG_0816.thumb.jpeg.192e51f07b602f746e5a12db913e6def.jpeg

I’m not sure where this is…. East of Tombstone, north of Douglas. 
IMG_0814.thumb.jpeg.7424427d7eac43c1b892421379a09cec.jpeg

• Like 5
Michiganr80rt
On 12/17/2023 at 3:37 PM, Redman said:

Man, that is a long recovery time.

Two week after surgery checkup today. Everything is going well. From the therapy schedule they gave me I think I may be riding by summer. Four more weeks with the leg straight, 8 weeks working on getting range of motion in the knee, then work on strength in the leg. I'll ride again when I feel confident that the leg can support the weight of the bike.  Right now my exercise consists of wiggling my feet and flexing my quad muscles just enough to feel my kneecap move. And I am cleared for indoor walking with the leg locked straight in the brace.

• Like 3

Took a ride on part of the Skyline Drive in Virginia today. Started in Richmond Va and drove to the southern end. Jumped on and ride about 70 miles. It was 35F or so when I left the house. Saw remnants of snow and icicles where the water was weeping out of the rocks. Nothing in the road until I got to a tunnel and the where icicles on both entrances with water dripping on the road causing a big sheet of ice on one side. Made it over with no problems but I should have given consideration to the idea it was colder in the mountains…. 

Staying in the small town of Luray Va for the night. Nice, quaint place. Will do the rest of it tomorrow and then back to Richmond. About 325 leisurely miles over two days. 

IMG_8561.thumb.jpeg.6debddbdda329da002678deb32575a71.jpeg

20231220134938_SCENIC.thumb.jpeg.adde0a4bf6378b09751f75fb05917c1a.jpeg

IMG_8617.thumb.jpeg.ab30821cc90149605c6352fd83e453fe.jpeg

• Like 13

I hesitate to add this, but in WI in December, it's rare that you can ride-even to work 7 miles away!   Bright sun, light wind, and around 30 degrees, I was the only bike in the lot today.  Brought the year total to 19,023.  Made me smile.  I wish it was more like the previous ride on Blue Ridge!    

9c3574e5-4e4e-4176-a3f1-04156725025f.JPG

• Like 8

Take extra care riding this thyme of year.  the folks in their heated boxes are not looking for nor anticipating motorcyclists.  I think the phrase is ride like you are invisible.

• Like 1

You're right, and thanks for the reminder.  I have the Clearwaters up on high-both sets!   I opt for the round about route off the highway and on some less traveled roads, but still as defensive as always.  

And it looks like today is another short ride to work with no precipitation and 30's.  

• Like 1

Woke up to 25 degrees and something odd covering the bike. 🤪

I think I’m at my limit and may be putting the bike up for the winter. 

IMG_8641.jpeg

• Like 5
On 12/19/2023 at 9:43 PM, Michiganr80rt said:

. . . . . .  Right now my exercise consists of wiggling my feet and flexing my quad muscles just enough to feel my kneecap move. And I am cleared for indoor walking with the leg locked straight in the brace.

Is some progress. Keep at it.

On 12/20/2023 at 10:17 PM, DBULL said:

I hesitate to add this, but in WI in December, it's rare that you can ride-even to work 7 miles away!   Bright sun, light wind, and around 30 degrees, I was the only bike in the lot today.  Brought the year total to 19,023.  Made me smile.  I wish it was more like the previous ride on Blue Ridge!    

9c3574e5-4e4e-4176-a3f1-04156725025f.JPG

Awesome!!  But I thought you were retired? 

Mostly retired but for the past 4 1/2 years I have been a 'research technician' for an international company that makes MRI machines and software development, and they need warm bodies to lay in the machines.  Pay is great, I have my own parking spot, and I often take naps!  And perhaps the best part is after a 40 year career of being in charge, I have NO responsibility!    Last week marked my 628th MRI.  I go in alot when weather doesn't allow us to ride, I live 7 miles from 'work' and enjoy the extra $.    Takes about 1-11/2 hours, I love it.  And I won't tell you the company name, although it you're from this area, you know, but I'm the poster prostate model.  

• Like 3
1 hour ago, DBULL said:

Mostly retired but for the past 4 1/2 years I have been a 'research technician' for an international company that makes MRI machines and software development, and they need warm bodies to lay in the machines.  Pay is great, I have my own parking spot, and I often take naps!  And perhaps the best part is after a 40 year career of being in charge, I have NO responsibility!    Last week marked my 628th MRI.  I go in alot when weather doesn't allow us to ride, I live 7 miles from 'work' and enjoy the extra $.    Takes about 1-11/2 hours, I love it.  And I won't tell you the company name, although it you're from this area, you know, but I'm the poster prostate model.  

can we guess company:-)

• Like 1

Took a little winter ride up to a very famous road yesterday. 55 degrees, and only one other bike. It was a beautiful thing.

Sky Valley Dec. 2023 (2).jpg

Sky Valley Dec. 2023 (3).jpg

Sky Valley Dec. 2023.jpg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

I just returned from my End of year ride. It was 38F when I departed the house. I met up with 3 other crazies at 7 AM and we rode to Norma D’s Kitchen located in the FL potato capital, Hastings.

After nourishment and hot coffee, we rode out to Federal Point and through Palataka to Orange Springs and McCoy. 2 of the fellows had to go home early to babysit their dogs or some excuse. 

So Phillip, my son and i continued to Micanopy for more coffee and a brownie, before returning home.

The weather was beautiful with clear blue sunny skies and it did warm up to 55F by the time we got home.

Here is a picture from Micanopy, FL.

IMG_9252.thumb.jpeg.982ccdba92cd3e2ae6cd074660dc486f.jpeg

Edited by Bernie
Typo
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
35 minutes ago, Bernie said:

I just returned from my End of year ride. It was 38F when I departed the house. I met up with 3 other crazies at 7 AM and we rode to Norma D’s Kitchen located in the FL potato capital, Hastings.

After nourishment and hot coffee, we rode out to Federal Point and through Palataka to Orange Springs and McCoy. @ of the fellows had to go home early to babysit their dogs or some excuse. 

So Phillip, my son and i continued to Mcianopy for more coffee and a brownie, before returning home.

The weather was beautiful with clear blue sunny skies and it did warm up to 55F by the time we got home.

Here is a picture from Micanopy, FL.

IMG_9252.thumb.jpeg.982ccdba92cd3e2ae6cd074660dc486f.jpeg

WOW .. that looks like a neat place and the day sounded great as well.   We just got home from the sunshine state and the temps there were perfect for riding for sure.  While the locals called it COLD ... the 50's and 60's seemed perfect to this "northerner" 

• Like 2

You southern guys make me so jealous,  today Gray sky, 25 degrees, roads semi icy with salt and sand on them.

My excitement was ordering new grips and taking my handlebar weights off. 

5 hours ago, Redfoxx said:

You southern guys make me so jealous,  today Gray sky, 25 degrees, roads semi icy with salt and sand on them.

My excitement was ordering new grips and taking my handlebar weights off. 

We "southern guys" do rub it in bit but honestly I loved my first 40 years in New Jersey and was a motorcyclist about the last 10 of those.   So some of us know the pain of winter setting in and having to "put it up" for the winter.   It's a painful process but you guys up in the land of snow seem to cherish every nice riding day a bit more than us.    Here's wishing you  short winter and an early start to riding season. 

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...

Told this story before… Back in the mid eighties I could have bought this bike (a brand new leftover) for $1,800 bucks. I wouldn’t have been smart enough to of kept it but, they’re fetching close to 10K last I checked.

image.jpeg.d0decf33d23aa275d8ff70d0be721651.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
Lone_RT_rider

Well, I fought the fridgid temps (almost 60F here today and managed to get out for some BBQ. Eat your heart out @TEWKS. ;) 

20240114_122556.jpg

20240114_121918.jpg

20240114_121955.jpg

• Like 8
Scott9999
9 hours ago, Lone_RT_rider said:

Well, I fought the fridgid temps (almost 60F here today and managed to get out for some BBQ. Eat your heart out @TEWKS. ;) 

60F?  I'm crying TEARS for you.  P-O-O-R Beemer rider.  🙄😡

It's been from about 2F to -10 (wind chill -25F) here for the last couple of days.  I had thought about takin' her out for a quick spin around the lake, but I guess I'm just too much a lightweight.  🤣

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Scott9999 said:

60F?  I'm crying TEARS for you.  P-O-O-R Beemer rider.  🙄😡

It's been from about 2F to -10 (wind chill -25F) here for the last couple of days.  I had thought about takin' her out for a quick spin around the lake, but I guess I'm just too much a lightweight.  🤣

So you'll understand why I don't miss that:jaw:

62 here yesterday, should only be 59 today.........

Scott9999
2 hours ago, 9Mary7 said:

So you'll understand why I don't miss that:jaw:

62 here yesterday, should only be 59 today.........

:88:  There are just NO EXCUSES for the arrogance and indifference of SOME people.  (Guess a lot of former Cops are like that, right? 🙃😁)

Enjoy your retirement, and have a couple of good rides this week. 

(You'll pay with Alabama sweat next summer.  We tried, checked out Alabama twice in the past year or so, and just can't do that humidity.  Heck, I've been all over the world (US Navy), including the Philippines and Guam, which are so humid that you're drenched 5 minutes after taking a shower, but Alabama was just too oppressively hot for us.  Lol, and my wife is FROM the Philippines.   Guess we've been in N. Idaho too long, our blood has thickened up.)

Cold, hot, humid, dry, be outside and one acclimates to it all.  My first year in Okinawa was A/C on, my second and third year, windows down enjoy the sub-tropics (much time in the P.I. and Guam too).  SW Louisiana can be a bit humid and warm,....for Hurricane Laura, I was the only one that would go in my father in laws attic to pull the wet insulation out.  Was it warm,...no, it was fawking hot!!!!, but you embrace the suck and do what has to be done.  On the flip side, I've gotten down to 3* riding to work with no heated gear, layered up and took the plunge on the road.  Now heated gear makes it much nicer.  Oh, and there's that dry heat of the 120* desert where you aint'a doing nothing to make your water "cool" to drink,....nothing like drinking coffee warm water on a 120* day wearing flak jacket and the rest of your kit.

One of my daughter's co-workers told her "I saw your parents outside",....my daughter responded, "they're always outside".

Ohhhh the weather is wonderful no matter where you go,.......if you embrace the suck.  What I really, really don't like is the wind, a breeze is nice, but windy days PTSD me.

• Smile 1

I rode on Saturday to the BMW-NEF Winter Rally and visited with some of the local BMW Club riders.

It was a nice cool day for a ride. Here are a few pictures from the rally site outside of Live Oak, FL.

2024-01-1314_56_45.thumb.jpg.b9dc9cd59b3598b1c645cbd50e794411.jpg2024-01-1313_03_36.thumb.jpg.069200e8032d4d0955b5c4cc643533cd.jpg2024-01-1313_03_15.thumb.jpg.e55f56733f60287933ff5169fb967b67.jpg

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Scott9999 said:

have a couple of good rides this week

I was wrong.....got to 68 today. Rode to the dentist.... made it a little more tolerable.

• Like 2
  • Smile 2
1 hour ago, Rougarou said:

Cold, hot, humid, dry, be outside and one acclimates to it all.  My first year in outside".…………..

Ohhhh the weather is wonderful no matter where you go,.......if you embrace the suck.  What I really, really don't like is the wind, a breeze is nice, but windy days PTSD me.

Maybe but our niece in SD said it was -17 with windchill feel of -50.  WTF!!  I’ll take the warm summers in NC to avoid the bitter cold.  I can’t acclimate to -17 .   I rode in 113 degrees and was not much worse than 90.  That I can acclimate to.👍

• Like 2
1 hour ago, RTinNC said:

Maybe but our niece in SD said it was -17 with windchill feel of -50.  WTF!!  I’ll take the warm summers in NC to avoid the bitter cold.  I can’t acclimate to -17 .   I rode in 113 degrees and was not much worse than 90.  That I can acclimate to.👍

Haven't had the luxury of dipping below zero yet, but I'm a betting I could layer it enough to do a wee bit of riding in it-keep the skin covered.  Memba, there's Sherpas that handle those temps on the regular, so a body can acclimate to the temps. 

78* with 40-50% humidity is ideal to me.

• Like 1
Scott9999
4 hours ago, Rougarou said:

Cold, hot, humid, dry, be outside and one acclimates to it all.  My first year in Okinawa was A/C on, my second and third year, windows down enjoy the sub-tropics (much time in the P.I. and Guam too).  SW Louisiana can be a bit humid and warm,....for Hurricane Laura, I was the only one that would go in my father in laws attic to pull the wet insulation out.  Was it warm,...no, it was fawking hot!!!!, but you embrace the suck and do what has to be done.  On the flip side, I've gotten down to 3* riding to work with no heated gear, layered up and took the plunge on the road.  Now heated gear makes it much nicer.  Oh, and there's that dry heat of the 120* desert where you aint'a doing nothing to make your water "cool" to drink,....nothing like drinking coffee warm water on a 120* day wearing flak jacket and the rest of your kit.

One of my daughter's co-workers told her "I saw your parents outside",....my daughter responded, "they're always outside".

Ditto to all that.  Remember, though, it's a WHOLE lot easier to "embrace the suck" when you're in your late teens or twenties, and starts to be a bigger challenge past ... I dunno, age forty.  Louisana has to be as bad, but when I was around Barksdale USAF in my 30's, it seemed more manageable.  I spent some time later in Montgomery, at Maxwell USAF base.  I was older at that point, and it was tougher.  So, yeah, maybe my Idaho weather acclimation is part of the reason it seems so unbearable in Alabama, now.   However, it can get humid here, too (and I'm living next a lake, i.e. multiplier effect of whatever the weather does).

I also agree, that a lot of dealing with weather is just attitude, and maybe a little of, how you prepare.  Given a choice, though, I choose "NOT ALABAMA WEATHER", thank you very much.

It's -1° here, I would have to seriously consider Alabama weather if given the choice right now.

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
  • Smile 2
  • Haha 1
27 minutes ago, Scott9999 said:

Ditto to all that.  Remember, though, it's a WHOLE lot easier to "embrace the suck" when you're in your late teens or twenties, and starts to be a bigger challenge past ... I dunno, age forty.  Louisana has to be as bad, but when I was around Barksdale USAF in my 30's, it seemed more manageable.  I spent some time later in Montgomery, at Maxwell USAF base.  I was older at that point, and it was tougher.  So, yeah, maybe my Idaho weather acclimation is part of the reason it seems so unbearable in Alabama, now.   However, it can get humid here, too (and I'm living next a lake, i.e. multiplier effect of whatever the weather does).

I also agree, that a lot of dealing with weather is just attitude, and maybe a little of, how you prepare.  Given a choice, though, I choose "NOT ALABAMA WEATHER", thank you very much.

Barksdale,....hell, dat's up nort, dat place be cold sha might as well be Canada as far as a Cajun concerned:grin:.  I'm mid-fiddies and still embrace the suck whether it be heat or cold.  Ride when its hawt and ride when its cold. 

• Like 1

Supposed to hit 22° next week, sounds like decent riding weather to me after this cold snap we're in. Pretty much a 30° or more temperature swing, I'll take it.

Here's the funny thing, for winter riding you don't want it too warm. When it gets close to freezing, that means it's also close to thawing, the roads warm and start throwing road spray and salt everywhere. Better to ride below about 25° until spring, rain cleans off the salt, and the roads can dry.

Luckily for me, I don't try to keep my bikes in pristine condition for resale value, I ride them until they are worn out, so a little salt, sometimes more than a little salt, doesn't really bother me.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

Supposed to hit 22° next week, sounds like decent riding weather to me after this cold snap we're in. Pretty much a 30° or more temperature swing, I'll take it.

Here's the funny thing, for winter riding you don't want it too warm. When it gets close to freezing, that means it's also close to thawing, the roads warm and start throwing road spray and salt everywhere. Better to ride below about 25° until spring, rain cleans off the salt, and the roads can dry.

Luckily for me, I don't try to keep my bikes in pristine condition for resale value, I ride them until they are worn out, so a little salt, sometimes more than a little salt, doesn't really bother me.

The low's are when I'm commuting to work-----that "Today" forecast was absolutely WRONG,....got nothing falling from the sky.  Also, those radars are WRONG many times as I looked throughout the day and at my work location, I was supposed to be getting green rain and home was pink rain,.....go to the windows at work, no rain, look at the cameras at home, no rain.

image.png.fcfa5336c015fbd87cda9f281ff95f04.png

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

The low's are when I'm commuting to work-----that "Today" forecast was absolutely WRONG,....got nothing falling from the sky.  Also, those radars are WRONG many times as I looked throughout the day and at my work location, I was supposed to be getting green rain and home was pink rain,.....go to the windows at work, no rain, look at the cameras at home, no rain.

image.png.fcfa5336c015fbd87cda9f281ff95f04.png

You must be elevated because that’s not all that much different than up here. :dontknow:

• Like 1
Scott9999
21 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

You must be elevated because that’s not all that much different than up here. :dontknow:

It's finally looking up, here in N. Idaho.  After about 5 days of zero to sub-zero weather, we'll be getting a break soon.  (Well, snow--mageddon follows shortly after, but hey, "Idaho".)🙄😖

image.thumb.png.7c78cd7fecc0b3e3705f83b642666fe3.png

In fact, 40F is about the time I get out side and start working on the outdoor projects.   Well, 40F to 45F and ~~ DRY ~~, gets me out there, but it's looking up either way. 

I won't be riding again until maybe April 1st.  We've had sub-zero weather March 31st before, so it doesn't pay to get too eager.  Idaho weather can be deceptive.  The first couple of winters we were in Idaho, "winter" seemed to end in January, and things were thawing and warming already in February.   As a former Californian, I thought "Gee, Idaho winters ain't that bad.  A couple of winter months, December and January, and then Spring shortly after."   Then, AFTER that 10 year drought period, and AFTER I built the house, we had the 10x snowfalls, winter from hell that started in September, and ended in late April.  Then summer started mid-way.  We almost missed Spring, it went by so fast.  (I think those might have been the winters that finally chased Alan  @9Mary7   out to Alabama. 😁 

• Like 2

Well, I am sorry about all the bad weather everywhere, but I will be riding again on Saturday to Cedar Key, FL to meet other riders for lunch. I will be thinking of you guys during your bad winter weather.

• Like 3
  • Smile 1

Was 63 here in Charlotte…. Washed and detailed the car after our trip to NJ.  Seems like I-40 is the dividing line for weather.  No complaints from me even when it drops to 20 at night for a day or 2 then back up to 40’s and 50’s

• Like 2
  • Smile 1
roadscholar

we've been putting on this rally for at least l0 years, it seems to bring out quite a few noobs each year which is good. we give out  gps routes tailored to different level of riders and bikes, a-d for small bikes and  adv routes (big bikes) but also have led group rides for those that want them. we found in years past riders would get confused and end up in a wrong group (too fast/difficult or too slow/easy) so we put different colored ribbons on riders to recognize their group. the video is long at an hour plus but gives a perspective from mostly the d group (slower and less experienced). conditions were wetter than usual this year but a good initiation for some in less than ideal conditions.

• Like 3
roadscholar

At the 29:30 mark that was Josiah the group's sweep riding the two big bikes out of the woods, he's 6'7" and a fitness instructor, he makes a 1290R look like a 125, usually : )

• Thinking 1
roadscholar
1 hour ago, TEWKS said:

Looks like their GPS took a lunch break. :spittake:

No, I think they were detouring around a big tree across the trail thru the palmetto swamp, usually an adventure in itself..

• Like 1
14 hours ago, roadscholar said:

At the 29:30 mark that was Josiah the group's sweep riding the two big bikes out of the woods, he's 6'7" and a fitness instructor, he makes a 1290R look like a 125, usually : )

Being tall is nice, but I bet it sucks flying coach:18: And hafta pay extra to get the wee bit of legroom or business/1st class to be comfortable.;)