IGNORED

Anybody go for ride today? Got Pictures?

Redman

2 hours ago, Rockosmith said:

I like what you did there Pat!

Yeah, he is good.  Isn't he?   You ought to see his videos; some of those make you feel like you are flying, or something.  :yes:

• Haha 1
39 minutes ago, wbw6cos said:

Yeah, he is good.  Isn't he?   You ought to see his videos; some of those make you feel like you are flying, or something.  :yes:

Yeah, Clint once said this to me. :spittake:

• Haha 1

Going home from FART in Sparta, NC. Stopped in Columbia, SC after the first 180 miles this morning, for gas, coffee and food. Already seen 2 accidents and 3 deer this morning. Perfect weather so far. IMG_8368.thumb.jpeg.05e9a3b8b41d4fad7416269207fe81de.jpegIMG_8369.thumb.jpeg.868dc96a61b773846910445b99b75ad7.jpeg

• Like 7

The other day was suppose to be maybe one of the last really nice days, and I thought that was a good excuse to get out for more than a couple hours.

Thought that I should find that brick lighthouse that Michigan80RT has posted pics of. First problem is that I got about no idea where it is, well, somewhere along Lake Michigan north of Muskegon I know, and maybe north of Ludington. Second problem is I am not sure of the name of it.

After some poking around online, I find is called Little Sable, is a state park, and is south of Ludington near Silver Lake State park. But, hey, I have been bye there and don’t recall seeing anything about it.

And I think that haven’t seen Michigan80RT post anything here since earlier this summer about RT being in the shop.

So with that about 10minutes of planning (standing in driveway next to bike) I take off to head north.

Head to Muskegon then follow lakeshore as much as can.

92C685D2-8A24-4D3B-BFAF-F1515A4EF1D0.thumb.jpeg.1a8c0700cfdfc0e76a9b4ae90c98812a.jpeg
Here is an often pictured place. Is called “that tree” on a regional photography FB group.

Lot of other intersting roads thru the lakeshore dunes to continue north.

Made it to the Silver Lake area, and then used the GPS….

oh, need to turn at an intersection with no signage and go down this road a few miles

A96C5997-D5DA-474C-91E6-C4A6DCC6E93C.thumb.jpeg.09cf69a68cbd2f5a0a0c76f7368fe8a3.jpeg

yep here it is

61D4A97D-0C20-485D-9614-DA336DDC413D.thumb.jpeg.35dac85762d603d787b7f7ce9b0bf14f.jpeg

(found a far corner of parking lot, and found a vantage point to minimize sight of parking lot…. Am not parked out in a sand dune).

• Like 7

Hiked around the sand dunes for a while

54C26ABA-9A8B-4B81-9A17-C1A3A81ABFF1.thumb.jpeg.37ddfb953f391402ee9271043af2978f.jpeg

3B3BEC35-0080-4CA7-9AC1-D261E794CE66.thumb.jpeg.8b8b6efa7875230825afff813e41e10e.jpeg

C6C71903-A7ED-4CCC-8E58-2F8A1511E808.thumb.jpeg.18d4703964938f6ace43be652c2a5b6e.jpeg

Then continued on and into Ludington.

then buzzed back on state highway.

By then it was 82degF and light traffic, I could cruise at 82mph without being the fasted one. I found it fun to see the temperature and speed to be same number (I must be getting boring). Then temps rose to 86, so………..

But then getting back closer to Muskegon I figured I should not push it.

Was good to get out for the day, well most of morning and most of afternoon.

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, Dennis Andress said:

Don’t you have a bike you should be riding?

Yes, that is a very good point. :thumbsup: It did rain here all day. And, I did play the Maytag Repairman for about 3 hours earlier. And and… I know, excuses are like… :rofl:

• Like 1
Dennis Andress
2 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Yes, that is a very good point. :thumbsup: It did rain here all day. And, I did play the Maytag Repairman for about 3 hours earlier. And and… I know, excuses are like… :rofl:

Dude! Get your priorities straight!!

• Haha 1
10 hours ago, Dennis Andress said:

Dude! Get your priorities straight!!

My priorities? My priority is chasing your priorities! :rofl:

Edited for clarity @Dennis Andress

New bike, new car, plenty of travel time! Not bad goals to chase after. ;)

• Thinking 1
4 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Rain is just liquid sunshine.  Yea you can't corner as fast or lean as much.  But can still be good riding if it isn't pouring cats and dogs.  :18:

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
Dennis Andress
10 hours ago, TEWKS said:

My priorities? My priority is chasing your priorities! :rofl:

Edited for clarity @Dennis Andress

New bike, new car, plenty of travel time! Not bad goals to chase after. ;)

I’d rather Laney was still around…

• Like 6
8 hours ago, BrianT said:

Rain is just liquid sunshine.  Yea you can't corner as fast or lean as much.  But can still be good riding if it isn't pouring cats and dogs.  :18:

Not a fan of riding in the rain. Done it. Will again. But not a fan.

• Plus 1 2
On 9/23/2023 at 5:25 PM, Dennis Andress said:

BrianT on sweeper madness…

IMG_0357.thumb.jpeg.0ad8e1cb0fa986f7fde18551d17b7e95.jpeg

WOW .... very cool!   Where is that ??   Reminds me of coming out of Baker City OR and into the Sawtooth Range. 

Dennis Andress
7 minutes ago, RTinNC said:

WOW .... very cool!   Where is that ??   Reminds me of coming out of Baker City OR and into the Sawtooth Range. 

Utah 72 near Torrey. 

image.thumb.png.d2bc4a6a2bf598710535496ecf0e903e.png

4 hours ago, RTinNC said:

WOW .... great pictures !! 

Thanks - but I'd say great scenery and at best mediocre pics. Since you mention coming to Oregon, you might like to know that those pics are headed west out of Paulina - the first one, in fact, is just to the left of the stop sign leaving town. If you haven't done it before it's a fun road from from 395 through Paulina over to Prineville - not challenging or anything, but some fun little bits and great views with little traffic. 

Most of the great scenery I just roll past because I'm having too much fun riding. That little creek with the sun setting above I did circle back to grab - but I couldn't get my phone to make it look as great as it had when I first rounded the bend and saw it before me.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, szurszewski said:

Thanks - but I'd say great scenery and at best mediocre pics. Since you mention coming to Oregon, you might like to know that those pics are headed west out of Paulina - the first one, in fact, is just to the left of the stop sign leaving town. If you haven't done it before it's a fun road from from 395 through Paulina over to Prineville - not challenging or anything, but some fun little bits and great views with little traffic. 

Most of the great scenery I just roll past because I'm having too much fun riding. That little creek with the sun setting above I did circle back to grab - but I couldn't get my phone to make it look as great as it had when I first rounded the bend and saw it before me.

Thanks for the tip!   Will add that for sure.   One of my reservations is in Prineville so that would work well.   That scenery is killer. 

• Like 1
15 hours ago, RTinNC said:

Thanks for the tip!   Will add that for sure.   One of my reservations is in Prineville so that would work well.   That scenery is killer. 

Pics attached of the two loops I did this past weekend from Sunriver, OR. Starting in Prineville would cut a bit of time off the westward one and about two hours off the east one - making each one a nicely relaxed day loop with plenty of time for pic stops. (Or going back and re-riding some of the choice twisty bits.) BUT if you're there early June McKenzie Pass, on the west loop (and a very "classic" Oregon motorcycle road), will likely not be open. I think the earliest they open it, snow removal and repairs permitting, is the third Monday in June - and some years it's a bit later. 

Of these loops, I'd seen/ridden most all of it, but a piece I had not even heard of until picking a route on Thursday (rode one Friday and the other Saturday) was the Quartzville National Backcountry Byway - the top part of the first loop below. Not a fast road but right through the forest with good pavement (amazing pavement the first ten miles where it's two lane - the next fifty some miles are all one lane and the pavement is older) and, at least for me, very little traffic - as in, I saw exactly zero other moving vehicles after it went down to one lane. 

image.thumb.jpeg.e2d2ba92415262145576eab5178906b2.jpegimage.thumb.png.202163bd3afadca8c67b471d6b6b7b7b.png

• Like 2

Thanks, RTinNC and szurszewski, for reminding me of my "home loops," which I missed this year.  Nice write ups.  On your next pass you might try the Aufderheide, similar to the Quartzville Backcountry Byway.  Cheers

image.jpeg.42740010201ffd25f0925312c63c7105.jpeg

8 hours ago, bendbill said:

Thanks, RTinNC and szurszewski, for reminding me of my "home loops," which I missed this year.  Nice write ups.  On your next pass you might try the Aufderheide, similar to the Quartzville Backcountry Byway.  Cheers

image.jpeg.42740010201ffd25f0925312c63c7105.jpeg

I’ll be on my RT so unless that’s paved I’ll probably pass. But it sure looks like there’s a lot of great rows in the area both going to and coming from Redmond.

4 hours ago, RTinNC said:

I’ll be on my RT so unless that’s paved I’ll probably pass. But it sure looks like there’s a lot of great rows in the area both going to and coming from Redmond.

Aufderheide is paved - it's probably my second favorite road in Oregon (so far!). But the pavement is not in the best shape and there are places were it dips etc that are hard to see when the light is coming sideways through the trees. I have ridden it on an 1100RT, a Vespa 200GT, a Ducati ST2* and at least one sidecar rig. The last time I wanted to ride it was closed because of a landslide (or rather, you could ride to the closed bit from either end but not all the way through) and it is sometimes closed because of fires - so you'd want to check first. Here's the link:

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/willamette/recreation/recarea/?recid=82809&actid=29

My favorite brewery - not in Oregon, or the US...my number one top brewery, was in Oakridge at the bottom of the Aufderheide. I see that it's now got a new name and is listed as pub, so who knows if it's still great... but it's probably a good place to eat regardless. 

*I kind of sort of broke the ST2 on this road - was leaned pretty far over to the left keeping up with some crazy German dudes and managed to bounce the centerstand off the pavement. I thought I was going to end up over the edge and into a reservoir as the left was just about to become a right. Somehow that didn't happen, but I did end up having to get the frame welded before riding home (well, a couple hundred miles later I got the frame welded...so maybe it wasn't *really* necessary). 

You can see some bits of the Aufderheide and surrounding things (and the pub in Oakridge as it was back in '19) in this post. Ignore the gravel bits and the GS stuck in the ditch - those are sideroads off the Aufderheide and such, and I sort of think the ditch was intentional just get some drama going in there :)

https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/dad-and-son-down-the-westcoast-from-germany.1397676/#post-38116778

• Like 1
2 hours ago, szurszewski said:

Aufderheide is paved - it's probably my second favorite road in Oregon (so far!). But the pavement is not in the best shape and there are places were it dips etc that are hard to see when the light is coming sideways through the trees. I have ridden it on an 1100RT, a Vespa 200GT, a Ducati ST2* and at least one sidecar rig. The last time I wanted to ride it was closed because of a landslide (or rather, you could ride to the closed bit from either end but not all the way through) and it is sometimes closed because of fires - so you'd want to check first. Here's the link:

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/willamette/recreation/recarea/?recid=82809&actid=29

My favorite brewery - not in Oregon, or the US...my number one top brewery, was in Oakridge at the bottom of the Aufderheide. I see that it's now got a new name and is listed as pub, so who knows if it's still great... but it's probably a good place to eat regardless. 

*I kind of sort of broke the ST2 on this road - was leaned pretty far over to the left keeping up with some crazy German dudes and managed to bounce the centerstand off the pavement. I thought I was going to end up over the edge and into a reservoir as the left was just about to become a right. Somehow that didn't happen, but I did end up having to get the frame welded before riding home (well, a couple hundred miles later I got the frame welded...so maybe it wasn't *really* necessary. 

You can see some bits of the Aufderheide and surrounding things (and the pub in Oakridge as it was back in '19) in this post. Ignore the gravel bits and the GS stuck in the ditch - those are sideroads off the Aufderheide and such, and I sort of think the ditch was intentional just get some drama going in there :)

https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/dad-and-son-down-the-westcoast-from-germany.1397676/#post-38116778

OK ... this was pretty much my route in 2021.  I was doing the Iron Butt National Park Challenge so needed to hit as many NP's as possible.   It was a great ride!   Looking forward to doing that area again next June !! 

https://maps.app.goo.gl/Uoyet4DTAp6hZvVw9

ScreenShot2023-09-28at2_41_40PM.thumb.png.dea7b5b9a2029120149e2c5ccc003b96.png

• Like 2

Yesterday's ride took us past the "West Blocton (Alabama) coke ovens"....not the white kind.

Started in the 1880's, the 464 coke ovens fueled Birmingham's iron & steel industries into the mid 1900's.

Zoom in on the sign and see the rows of ovens with train cars top and bottom that shuttled wood into the ovens and coke out of the ovens.  

Large trees now grow on top of the ovens..... 

IMG_7585.JPG

IMG_7588.JPG

IMG_7589.JPG

IMG_7592.JPG

IMG_7593.JPG

• Like 16

Very cool John !  There are still quite a few Iron Ore furnaces scattered through the hills in P.A. much like the ones you pictured. They would build them close to a creek or stream. Then damn it down stream and float the product on small barges and repeat until they reached a river.

• Thanks 1
On 10/1/2023 at 6:58 AM, BamaJohn said:

Yesterday's ride took us past the "West Blocton (Alabama) coke ovens"

IMG_7592.JPG

IMG_7593.JPG

Looks like a big earthen monster! :classic_ohmy: Throw in a few strobes and smoke machine, they’d have a big time Halloween draw! :thumbsup:

• Haha 2

Morning ride in Texas yesterday.. I actually got a little chil riding at 60 degrees LOL... May be time to switch over to my winter shorts...

20231007_082400.thumb.jpg.8bec0719293166e6b178eda6bbd78c1f.jpg

• Like 7
  • Smile 2
John Ranalletta

Not exactly today, but a week ago.  Southern Indiana check ride post ABS module replacement.  Our intended route was closed due to construction and this was a "let's see where this goes" stroke of luck.  Boring to watch.  Fun to ride.  Might start at low resolution. 2160k available.

• Like 6

50degF, so got liner back in pants and jacket. Heavy cloud cover like could rain.

Rode up to Muskegon, stopped by the lakeshore near beach for a pic.

IMG_7191ac.jpg

THen headed to the river channel, maybe get some pics of arrival of lake freighter (HCJackson, 689ft)

Got there, and it started raining, latch on side bag broke - DOAH- so could not open the sidebag, could not get out rain gear.

Ship was at least another 45 minutes or hour out yet.

So retreated home.

Olympia jacket and pants repelled the rain okay, gloves did not.

• Like 4
19 hours ago, Mellow said:

Morning ride in Texas yesterday.. I actually got a little chil riding at 60 degrees LOL... May be time to switch over to my winter shorts...

20231007_082400.thumb.jpg.8bec0719293166e6b178eda6bbd78c1f.jpg

Or you could try the Origone way, shorts and a T shirt over light weight polypropylene. 

• Like 2