IGNORED

Anybody go for ride today? Got Pictures?

Redman

228 miles???  Jeeesh Bernie are you slowing  down 😂 

And how is it you don’t weigh 400 pounds😡

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
On 2/9/2024 at 4:04 PM, RTinNC said:

Wow …. Nice vintage bikes !   

Looks like early Honda Shadow … 800??

And Suzuki GS1000? 

Honda 1986 Shadow 500 with some body parts from 83-84.
Shadow came out in 83 as a 500, then a couple years later was also a 750, then a few years later 1100.

Suzuki 1982 GS1100GK factory stock. GK came with the sidebags, trunk and fairing, but otherwize is pretty much a 1100G.

I have had 1982 Suzuki G (shaft drive) since 1982. A 650G then and 850G then the 1100GK.

duckhawk64

50F  degrees,  40 miles in around 35 minutes, neighborhood ride in my new first gear kilamanjaro 2.0 bibs that arrived today. Sweet and warm. Screenshot_20240306_184139_Chrome.thumb.jpg.8c16f60f8b5ff4730c76e4461fcc5b82.jpg

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Redman said:

Honda 1986 Shadow 500 with some body parts from 83-84.
Shadow came out in 83 as a 500, then a couple years later was also a 750, then a few years later 1100.

Suzuki 1982 GS1100GK factory stock. GK came with the sidebags, trunk and fairing, but otherwize is pretty much a 1100G.

I have had 1982 Suzuki G (shaft drive) since 1982. A 650G then and 850G then the 1100GK.

Yeah ... the Shadow had a lot of iterations in the 1980's and 1990's.  That was a crazy time for sure. 

My first bike was a 1982 Suzuki GS650G and then a 1200 Madura!  aka V65 killer :-) 

i-82T9xqm-X2.thumb.jpeg.5f6f4a73728217bd7572a37088640cc4.jpegmadura.thumb.jpeg.d3ac7e0f3f6eca7d010b125640408328.jpeg

• Like 2

Getting ready for a hot date?  Beauty parlor and a florist stop.  The helmet probably doesn't do your new hair doo much good.  :4323:

On 3/6/2024 at 8:34 PM, RTinNC said:

My first bike was a 1982 Suzuki GS650G .......

Yep, just like that one (only black).

Just barley 50degF this afternoon, and sunny, so go for ride.

See if can notice efects of the recent 24k service.

Yah, did seem a bit smoother.

IMG_0388n90n96n400_w4000.thumb.jpg.b776afe3f6e9cc6c8218f3a1d2b86caa.jpg

And again, I have found that "Road Closed Ahead" sign means that will be about no traffic. ANd when get to actaull ROad Closed, will be something to see, and maybe a portapotty har har.

Also went thru a township park. Stopped and watch water flow along a little creek for a bit. SOmehow, I like to do that. Was surprised to see Water Strider bugs zipping around.

THen went into town and down by the state park.

Out for about hour and a half. Am quite happy and thankfull to be able to do this.

• Like 6
duckhawk64

Another 60 mile neighborhood ride around Blue Mouds Wi this afternoon. 

• Like 3

Another WI rider here,  74 miles out from Waukesha.   Great to be riding in this warmth.  

• Like 2

Could not pass up the first 80 degree day last Thursday.  Had never been up to Pilot Mountain NC.  Of course lunch was included. Even better I was just following as one of the other guys had the route and lunch stop mapped out. :thumbsup:

IMG_1510.thumb.jpeg.31ea40518d795c38c95a621db9453bc1.jpegIMG_1514.thumb.jpeg.ede03f51cbb45d15161adc6af27ec9cf.jpegIMG_1518.thumb.jpeg.64ad18ba9897c88e98471236e3123374.jpeg

• Like 8
BamaJohn

North Carolina's "devil's tower"...   looks like a good day to ride alright!

• Like 2
taylor1

Wife and I get there about once a year. She hikes the mountain and I ride the area. Then it's off to Mount Airy for some food. Hopefully they had a chance to run into Andy and Barney at the Snappy diner  :/.

• Smile 1
21 minutes ago, taylor1 said:

Wife and I get there about once a year. She hikes the mountain and I ride the area. Then it's off to Mount Airy for some food. Hopefully they had a chance to run into Andy and Barney at the Snappy diner  :/.

HA!   No Snappy lunch in Mayberry but we had a great lunch at Tilted Ladder in Pilot Mountain.   We did all get haircuts at Floyds Barber Shop and got our windshields cleaned at Goober's Fillin Station!  

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I mounted new tires last week and decided to ride around a little on Friday.

I ended up in Keystone Heights and enjoyed a nice omelet of lunch, before finding some more curves.

2024-03-1511_35_03.thumb.jpg.5c9efe9e2480bb7aec58bbc3d55a2ab7.jpg

2024-03-1511_46_09.thumb.jpg.d268774981efbd15e1a1e467fc910b67.jpg

2024-03-1511_44_06.thumb.jpg.d41d46ddcd122d4ea94fb4d5a9bea685.jpg

On Saturday, I meet @Huzband at the local BMW Dealer to view the new R1300GS, they had a demo day. 

Neither one of us was really all that keen on trying the new GS or any of the other bikes.

Actually the new F900GS looked a lot more interesting for off road travel then the 13GS.

Since I needed a cup of coffee, I rode south along some side roads and stopped for a cup in Green Cove Springs.

2024-03-1610_15_15.thumb.jpg.01777bcdde54ff401cf201621db1d420.jpg

Then I rode down to Palatka and checked on the potato crops, they are in full bloom.

Overall I enjoyed some relaxing few days of riding in mid 80's temperatures.

Except for the ever distracted drivers, trying to share my lane.

• Like 9
  • Plus 1 1

so with LOT's of help from Dave, I have been on a quest to learn how to create video's.  To be honest I am a right brain, numbers, accountant person. this video stuff is very hard for me.  But I have decided 2024 is the year.

so with that said, FIRST every video and it shows :-)  

But what the heck, but nice to me in your comments  PLEASE  :-)

And TURN your volume OFF  

https://youtu.be/1Ice1_vi7z8

• Like 9
Lowndes

NO PICS.  We got VID!!  https://youtu.be/1Ice1_vi7z8   c/o Big Randy and his new GoPro chin mount.

Yeah, we went for a ride Saturday.  Great weather, about 55° when we left the QT at 9, scattered clouds, bright sun.  5 of us: Big Randy on his 900 Yam, Gamecock on a 1290 KTM, Miss Gamecock JR on her recent Speed Triple, Mark the New Guy on a big beautiful navy '23 FJR, an' myself on plain ole K.  No comms cause we all have different brands/systems, or no systems.  Gone primitive.

We took a bunch of backroads going north from Cumming.  Came out on US 19 at The Rockpile (Trahlyta's grave) and straight to Turner's Corner and up Blood Mountain we went.  That's where the vid starts.  Now we agreed at the QT that Mark would lead cause he knows ALL the roads, doesn't even have a gps with him, and Big Randy (who usually leads) INSISTED that he ride sweep for some reason.  We passed a bunch of traffic just after Turners Corner trying to get clear of it before going up the hill where the good stuff starts.  We came up on a couple of slow cages in the last passing lane and Mark decided to be cautions knowing this a LEO's favorite place.  A blur on my left proved to be Big Randy who apparently got a little impatient with the proceedings and yanked the carb slides clean up to the gas tank.  You'll see it from his perspective at 0:30.  

Got over the mountain, down the other side and straight to the Richard B. Russell (it seems flat in the vid, but it AIN'T), and then Helen and Betty's Country Store.  Fed, watered, and all caught up on the talking that was pent up all morning, we decided to go 75 north to Bell Mountain (2:44), except Miss Gamecock JR decided to get home early and headed back.

If you've not been up Bell Mountain, the road is different (3:44).  Big Randy cut out the steep part cause I think there was some excitement enroute.  Most roads zig zag up a steep mountain; this one just goes straight up the mountain.  Well, they had to put in a couple of switchbacks where the road went past vertical.  And they just paved it about 3 years ago.  But the view was really nice on Sat. (4:13).  

We headed south back down 75 to Owl Creek Rd , then 180 past Brass Town Bald and a LEO, past the RBR, past Sunrise Grocery to Wolf Pen Gap (4:46) and into Suches, down 60 (15:18) and eventually 400 where we each split off for home.  A VERY FUN, ENJOYABLE RIDE.  248 smiles.  Home by 4:15.

• Like 6
duckhawk64

Nice vid. The chin mount seems way better than the crown of the helmet.

Too cool to ride in Wisconsin this week, 1" snow this Friday, 6" on Sunday. 

• Sad 1
Rockosmith

Ventured outside my normal N GA stomping grounds to find this.189ED8E7-AD35-4270-AEB8-5E91FE9E195F.thumb.jpeg.8b6fe972c6de0393d9b80612613755dd.jpeg

followed by lunch here.

14678FA4-B32C-47B3-89D4-3538B78BC1A3.thumb.jpeg.51fd2db9b444af464e7122a88f04e3c7.jpeg

• Like 10
On 3/18/2024 at 9:53 PM, duckhawk64 said:

Nice vid. The chin mount seems way better than the crown of the helmet.

Too cool to ride in Wisconsin this week, 1" snow this Friday, 6" on Sunday. 

So Lowndes's commentary is awesome, but one part left out.

the view is from my Chin mount from the start of the video to Bell Mountain.

While we stopped at Bell Mountain I took the GoPro off my helmet chin mount and mounted it on my windshield fixed mount

so if you watch the video from start to Bell Mountain you will notice a different perspective, because of course my head is moving into the turns.  But after Bell Mountain, WolfPen and 60 south the picture is fixed, i.e. no movement.

I am trying to decide which perspective is better.  I sort of like the chin mount, as I can move my head to capture something to the side, but the fixed windshield mount is a little easier.

Probably not really noticeable, but this is all part of my learning process to get the best memories.  :-)

• Like 1

I like the chin mount.  It encompasses the front end of your motorcycle, which I think helps with perspective.  

• Like 2

Yeah, the chin mount is nicer to view IMO too, and even nicer behind another rider, for speed/skill perspective... but it'd annoy the hell out of me, watching the camera right in front of my helmet. Ha ha.

• Like 1
duckhawk64

70 miles around Blue Mounds WI yesterday.  58 F degrees. Heated chaps working too well. 

Got fuel in Mt Horeb and got distracted muting the darn pump video advertisement. Splashed a good 10 oz of fuel all over the tank frontal area. Waited for the fire, seeing none,  finished fueling and cleaned the entire area with windshield fluid and cleaned it with paper towels. First time in 25 years that happened. Rode the bike, waiting for fire, none. 

I think I'll buy a mini fire extinguisher for the tail pack. 

Too cold to ride today, 36F.

• Like 1

Today’s ride started a little later than normal. I tried to visit some areas I haven’t been to in a few month.

I stopped at Lake Butler to take a look at the lake, and I decided to stage the bike to try to take a picture.

IMG_9829.thumb.jpeg.201e1c7ab52c5d93e3a06d75b0df41ab.jpeg

After that I ended up in High Springs, where I decided it was time to find a new place to try for lunch.

IMG_9838.thumb.jpeg.0f9aae03d6fd7ee8edf326221972d20a.jpeg

IMG_9833.thumb.jpeg.7cdb0c07e80b4acbf7cc22fff553528f.jpeg

They have a nice motto on the napkin dispenser.

IMG_9835.thumb.jpeg.e2f47d80d39322490e1ed7f7cdb9b3d6.jpeg

The pizza was delicious and piping hot.

IMG_9836.thumb.jpeg.6240d2897a45e1cfc2176f17e5f1dc43.jpeg

After that I found my way back home. Beautiful spring day ride of 239 miles.

Oh by the way, Starke, FL is still a speed trap town. 

• Like 8
  • Plus 1 1
  • Sad 1
Darbarian

I HAD TO take advantage of the freak warm spell with a couple of short rides in my neighborhood. Both BMWs are on my ToDo list with minor issues to be handled, so Dr Zee is the only choice for snagging a ride in the unexpected rider friendly spell. We don't go far, but the scenery is nice anyway.  

My first stop was Lake Como. The photo is of a frozen lake, probably thin ice, with one of the Bitterroot mountains in the background. 

The long way home from Hamilton is Old Darby Road.  Very much the road less traveled as only residents and travelers who eschew the rather straight 70mph slab take this route. From there are nice views of the mountains across the valley and the Bitterroot River that cuts through it.LakeComoview.thumb.JPG.e9f7a34959a50a3d16cb85b64cd09664.JPGBitterrootRiverview.thumb.JPG.601bbf82cc953abaded90c7c7465ecf3.JPG

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, JCtx said:

Yeah, the chin mount is nicer to view IMO too, and even nicer behind another rider, for speed/skill perspective... but it'd annoy the hell out of me, watching the camera right in front of my helmet. Ha ha.

go to chinmount.com

all mounts are specific to each helmet.  and at least on my two helmets you cannot see the camera.

BruinsFan

I almost boiled a pot of hot chocolate  but a bizarre sightinn of 15 / 20 illegal emigrants were in my spot at the picnic table and was quite interested in my hem-hallin around. Nolin lake is a few weeks away from being flooded to make it all pretty again. Temps had bounced off their ceiling spiraling quite quickly back to earths climate change rates. So I had to find a new picnic table called beer joint and grill... or maybe my eyes were crossed and the name was just Grill. Ha! Had me a hot chocolate and began a new trip home which turned up hwy 920 and hwy 220 north east of Leitchfield ky. Very nice little area with rolling acres and twisty 2 lanes. Nice small warm up for the START. SURELY THEY DIDN'T MISS ME A WORK AGAIN TODAY. HA! 

20240320_145139.jpg

• Like 5
roadscholar
4 hours ago, Darbarian said:

I HAD TO take advantage of the freak warm spell with a couple of short rides in my neighborhood. Both BMWs are on my ToDo list with minor issues to be handled, so Dr Zee is the only choice for snagging a ride in the unexpected rider friendly spell. We don't go far, but the scenery is nice anyway.  

My first stop was Lake Como. The photo is of a frozen lake, probably thin ice, with one of the Bitterroot mountains in the background. 

The long way home from Hamilton is Old Darby Road.  Very much the road less traveled as only residents and travelers who eschew the rather straight 70mph slab take this route. From there are nice views of the mountains across the valley and the Bitterroot River that cuts through it.LakeComoview.thumb.JPG.e9f7a34959a50a3d16cb85b64cd09664.JPGBitterrootRiverview.thumb.JPG.601bbf82cc953abaded90c7c7465ecf3.JPG

You've got the right tires and a nice seat on the 400, if you go up one tooth on the countersprocket and clamp on a small windshield it’ll transform the little guy into an all day travel and explore bike. Course then you're gonna need more fuel : )

Darbarian
21 hours ago, roadscholar said:

You've got the right tires and a nice seat on the 400, if you go up one tooth on the countersprocket and clamp on a small windshield it’ll transform the little guy into an all day travel and explore bike. Course then you're gonna need more fuel : )

I don't remember which they selected, but when I had The Motorcycle Garage change out the 21/18 wheels to 17/17, I also had them change the sprockets so even with the smaller wheels, the rev count would go down at cruising speeds. It does not sound buzzy keeping up with 70mph traffic on Highway 93.  However, that is not is strong suit. With the three bikes lined up, Dr. Zee will get the nod for short trips, the R90 for medium runs, but when distances of any significance come along, Leo is a no-brainer.

• Like 1
roadscholar

The point being that for $35. a one tooth bigger front sprocket can change a DRZ400 from a 65-70mph backroader into an 80mph highway cruiser, not that that's it's sole mission but just adds another desirable aspect (for me anyway) to it's dual-sport nature. If Suzuki hadn't cheaped out (like Japanese manufacturers often do) and given it a 6 speed it could've been a world beater and might've put KTM out of business : )

• Like 2
BruinsFan

All day ride that brings the pain to the shoulders and traps. Tylenol time. 

20240328_123635.jpg

• Like 4
  • Smile 1

Just returned from a 425 mile all day ride.

I had lunch with @60Aviator, @RonM and @F16Viper68 in Hahira, GA. Gesundheit!

Beautiful day, started out cool 43F and warmed up to 73F by late afternoon.

No clouds all day, clear as can be.

Everything is turning green and is flowering, must be spring time.IMG_9905.thumb.jpeg.fd1e3c8f0c970d3fe515dafcb416907d.jpeg

Stop in the woods to reset the BMW Connected App.

IMG_9907.thumb.jpeg.2664b2cefb36b47143b82cbd3f4acd0c.jpeg

Out side the restaurant, Church Street Cafe in Hahira, GA

IMG_9909.thumb.jpeg.a3470190a91736f255423d6b9d3edc08.jpeg

• Like 12
BamaJohn

It would be a sin to not ride on a beautiful spring day, so I don't have to offer any penance .....'cause I rode a 100 mile loop and stopped at Local Joe's BBQ & Trading post in Rainbow City for a homemade Granny's apple pie and coffee.

Happy Easter to everyone.

IMG_7808.JPG

• Like 8
wbw6cos

What???    No pictures of Granny's apple pie?  What kind of member are  you?    :grin:

• Haha 3
BamaJohn
2 hours ago, wbw6cos said:

What???    No pictures of Granny's apple pie?  What kind of member are  you?    :grin:

Sorry...it was too good to wait for a picture

or.....my coffee would have gotten cold

or....I just forgot

I'll do better next time!:4617:

• Like 2
  • Smile 2
  • Haha 1

It takes time and many calories to become a proficient foodie John!  :eat:

Rockwood Maine.

image.thumb.jpeg.12367b63bb872ee3d38b1aeb6218ac09.jpeg

And we have Pittsburg NH here for a close second place! 
image.thumb.jpeg.d6cce318d91abedb2a1f48f90143b15f.jpeg

I’m beginning to remember my trips by the quality of the Prime Rib. BBQ, is a whole other chapter! :classic_biggrin:

• Like 4
9 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

It takes time and many calories to become a proficient foodie John!  :eat:

Rockwood Maine.

image.thumb.jpeg.12367b63bb872ee3d38b1aeb6218ac09.jpeg

And we have Pittsburg NH here for a close second place! 
image.thumb.jpeg.d6cce318d91abedb2a1f48f90143b15f.jpeg

I’m beginning to remember my trips by the quality of the Prime Rib. BBQ, is a whole other chapter! :classic_biggrin:

Well Pat, down here in the South you have to be quick to process your food. They don’t like it too much if you play around with your food too long. So I can understand John not having time to take a picture of the pie. You see if you eat in a group it is easy to distract the wait staff while to stage the food for your picture, but if you are alone, like I am sure John was it is a little tricky. After all I am sure he didn’t want the waitress to take his apple pie away from him.

• Smile 1
  • Haha 2

That would be terrible “NO Pie For You”! :rofl: I feel like if you’re alone and snapping pictures of your food, the waitstaff either believes you’re a high profile food critic or, just a weirdo. :dontknow:

• Haha 4
Hosstage

I'll be honest, I just don't get the pictures of food thing.

A friend once sent me a picture of his steak. I told him if it happens again I'm sending a cat motivation poster every day for a year. No food pictures since.

But that's just me.

• Like 2
  • Smile 2
wbw6cos

Yeah,  I do not see how anybody surfing the world wide web would want to see photos of anything whilst looking at postings on a Sport Touring motorcycle forum.   :whistle:

• Like 1
  • Smile 2
Rockosmith

Stopped by an old meeting hall in East TN today…missed the meeting though.

image.thumb.jpeg.93b1ba0571e9dfe5bee702182647d310.jpeg

And the burger joint just across the bridge has closed and is now a private residence, so no food pics for me!

• Like 6
BamaJohn
6 minutes ago, Rockosmith said:

Stopped by an old meeting hall in East TN today…missed the meeting though.

image.thumb.jpeg.93b1ba0571e9dfe5bee702182647d310.jpeg

And the burger joint just across the bridge has closed and is now a private residence, so no food pics for me!

Looks like sort of a meeting....4 bikes.  Interesting old building...sorry you missed the Q.

• Like 2

Ride up to Motorcycles of Greensboro last week as it was my buddy Paul’s birthday.  He’s the manager. Dropped off a small gift and then we (Randy Shields was along) had lunch at a great local taco joint downtown Greensboro.  Very nice 240 mile day.

IMG_1553.jpeg

IMG_1552.jpeg

IMG_1554.jpeg

• Like 5

Trying to maintain my goal of at least one ride a week. So far I am 4 for 4 since I started:thumbsup: 

on Friday took backroads over to the “historic village” of Gold Hill.  Unfortunately coffee shop was closed and Flynn’s didn’t have coffee but the neat general store had REAL ice cold birch beer :grin:.  Was a nice albeit a tad short 130 mile ride.  Sat outside the store and watched the world go by for about 20 minutes. Life as it should be !!

IMG_1605.thumb.jpeg.e995e1daa1b222ac9da9480bd099bb09.jpegIMG_1603.thumb.jpeg.80ae1a46407da3b3e55944f3740101ce.jpegIMG_1604.thumb.jpeg.bbaae17d57542594eec57566ae67f8f1.jpegIMG_1606.thumb.jpeg.bd04c7815b01dc29a2f826459e60e65f.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Plus 1 1
TSConver

Road out to hanging rock state park. About 300 miles round trip. New GS is almost.to 1000 miles.

No food or coffee for Bernie but still a great ride.. Was almost 90 today bt the bike temp reading.

20240331_133148.thumb.jpg.673362fc54625691dd16a6c128e89022.jpg

• Like 7
duckhawk64

Another 45 miles for me at 39 F degrees. Heated chaps. 

Got home and rode it to church at 1030am. 

Slapped in a new battery and found the obd plug. I need the correct adapter from this image to the 2nd image. 

20230730_073041.jpg

20240331_151131.jpg