IGNORED

What Are You Listening To Right Now?

Indy Dave

Joe Frickin' Friday

Bulgarian singing is very distinctive.  If you're a fan of Kate Bush, you've likely heard Trio Bulgarka in the background on a few of her songs.  They've long since disbanded, but here's an older recording of one of their televised performances:

For a bigger sound, here is Cosmic Voices From Bulgaria:

• Like 1

Meh, sha, Louisiana Leroux.

Take a Ride on a Riverboat

New Orleans Ladies

Lifeline

Dat's some good stuff ya.

And for those that mispronounce.

It ain't Ben-oi-it,.....it's Ben-wah

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Skywagon said:

Are you sure A Bear.....herbert

Ya, that one too.

We also do LeJeune as Le-zjern or Le-zjan (sorta silent "n")  and Vincent can be heard as Van-saw.

You all gots to learn how to speak south Lousian ya

4 hours ago, Rougarou said:

We also do LeJeune as Le-zjern

Most of the news media here pronounces it le-zjern. Never understood why.. Seems like they started doin that within the last 10 years or so. Never heard it back in the 70's or 80's

2 hours ago, taylor1 said:

Most of the news media here pronounces it le-zjern. Never understood why.. Seems like they started doin that within the last 10 years or so. Never heard it back in the 70's or 80's

Le zjern has always been that way growing up.  The first time I heard Le June was when I went to bootcamp.

Mebbee why your hearing the correct pronunciation as of recent years is that Camp LeJeune finally put the pronunciation on the front gate and are trying to get the the pronunciation of the base correct for it's namesake, John A LeJeune, who was from Pointe Coupee Parish.

2 hours ago, wbw6cos said:

......worsh clothes?

nope

27 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

Natchitoches. Knack a dish. We visit there nearly every year. Good crawfish pie and a great hardware store

Yep, oldest town in Louisiana, but not a Cajun parish, those be further south.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, taylor1 said:

Never noticed it on the front gate. Gonna take a ride down that way in a few days and will take a peek.

• Thanks 1

Richard , were you stationed there before the bypass ? I used to drive down from Fort Macon to MSO Wilmington. At that time there was not a bypass and you had to drive through the base. Stop, show your I.D. and feel the percussion from the practice bombing while driving.  Always loved that trip.

3 hours ago, taylor1 said:

Richard , were you stationed there before the bypass ? I used to drive down from Fort Macon to MSO Wilmington. At that time there was not a bypass and you had to drive through the base. Stop, show your I.D. and feel the percussion from the practice bombing while driving.  Always loved that trip.

Oh ya,....that place is confusing to me now.  You musta drove the back road of 172,....I don't think they allow that pass through anymore.

I said when I was initially stationed there in '88 that they should build a road through the swamps from the air station to main side,.....and looky looky what they did.  I was there a couple of years ago and near Camp Geiger, the nearest building to the main road was our armory,.....there was a decent amount of woodline between that armory and 17.  Also, the swampland south and west of Verona was all bought up, I dunno what they do out there.  The last time I was actually stationed there was 2000 and I was with 1st Bn, 6th Marines on mainside.

My youngest daughter was born there.  She never slept through the night while we lived there.  We attributed that to the helo's and boom-booms from the arty going off.  Once we got to Agony, Ga, she slept all night long.

My time there was 88-94 and then again 97-00.

My little brother won some S.R.V tickets on the local radio station back in mid 80's and asked me to go. Really didn't know much about him at the time. Outstanding concert.
For his encore, he sat at the end of the stage and played Voodoo Child. Knocked my socks off. He certainly channeled Jimi for that one

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, taylor1 said:

My little brother won some S.R.V tickets on the local radio station back in mid 80's and asked me to go. Really didn't know much about him at the time. Outstanding concert.
For his encore, he sat at the end of the stage and played Voodoo Child. Knocked my socks off. He certainly channeled Jimi for that one

In '90, I had just flew from Okinawa, Japan, to the Philippine Islands (Subic) and boarded the USS OKINAWA to float to Saudi for a little skirmish that was destined to begin when on board the Okinawa in the South China Sea or Indian Ocean, we got news of the helo crash that killed him.  Some things, you just don't forget where you were when you heard the news.

Such an odd and wonderful song! Cab has such a way of presenting it, a little comedy, a little tension, a lot of showman.

I must sadly admit that my first exposure to that song and Cab was the Blues Brothers Movie. And glad for it 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

YouTube comments on the metal haka video I posted yesterday led me to Alien Weaponry, a New Zealand band that blends conventional metal with Maori vocal stylings and imagery:

Yep, I posted that some time ago, great tune.  It pops up quite a bit on my Youtube rounds when I'm treadmilling or cycling in the basement.

• 2 weeks later...
RandyShields
8 hours ago, taylor1 said:

Got to meet Steve Howe were I worked in Malibu

Glad to hear you were roundabout where he was and had a chance to meet him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Joe Frickin' Friday

A remake of Suzanna Vega's song "Tom's Diner" by Annenmaykentereit. The curly-haired dude has a voice like shredded meat (in a good way).

In looking up info about the song, I was amused to learn that the diner in question is the same one featured as "Monk's Cafe" in Seinfeld.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Joe Frickin' Friday

My sister and her husband just hired this guy and his 2 pals for their upcoming 60th-birthday party.  The lead guy, Zivanai Masango, is originally from Zimbabwe but you might catch him performing around Denver (where he currently lives).

Joe Frickin' Friday

No doubt you are familiar with this song, popularized in the US by The Tokens in 1961:

Its roots actually go back much farther - to 1939 in South Africa,  where it was first recorded by its composer, Solomon Linda:

There are a lot of other covers out there, but for my money, the best version is this joint effort by Ladysmith Black Mambazo and the Mint Juleps:

• Like 1