IGNORED

Right Now!

TEWKS

10 hours ago, TEWKS said:

think it was a “carbide blade” but we need something better. Research is being done but figure it wouldn’t hurt to ask. 

I see that you have Milwaukee M-18 LED light in the first & perhaps last image & perhaps M-18 Sawzall in the 2nd image.

You might consider this https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Power-Tools/Metalworking/Metal-Cutting/2982-20 (bare tool or kit). 

• Thanks 1

CADS meeting, some are back from Wyoming so hopefully we’ll see pics and videos soon. Chicken cacciatore was excellent.

761ED6CE-4AA1-4DFB-8913-FB52B9F7508B.thumb.jpeg.3528174c8b5583da0039b5266fbb2af3.jpeg

6CC99043-FA1C-4930-8742-1F36D425C714.thumb.jpeg.3663f434760282e004897b64f46ae227.jpeg

• Like 1
18 hours ago, LBump said:

I like your photograph Bill so much that I wanted to do my interpretation :wave:

Screenshot_20220817-202559_Chrome.jpg

Nice Larry, I’m just used to framing with the camera and forgetting about it. A little editing can really make a difference. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Not a right now, but update I forgot to post.

image.thumb.jpeg.9078dd773f07a52853ce730ef99013ce.jpeg

I have repainted the window trip.  Almost half the house is done.  During the next portion, rather than getting "replacement" windows, we're gonna get new build windows since the siding will be off and I can screw directly into the studs from the outside.

At some point, I gotta attack that roof, powerwash and paint it.  You can see the different shades of green,....and it drives me nucking futs.

• Like 2
On 8/2/2022 at 2:38 PM, TEWKS said:

That’s not a dog, it’s an 🦦 :grin:
image.thumb.jpeg.490cdfb39229354a1b7d9eb04840f865.jpeg

AD4A5AFE-ED87-4CDE-8050-631EEDEE7FF0.jpeg

...a baby otter in a dog suit?....and cute as can be!  Great photo!

• Like 2
47 minutes ago, BamaJohn said:

love that photo, Bill!

Yeah my first thought was… “Paradise by the dashboard light”  :cool:

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

Yeah my first thought was… “Paradise by the dashboard light”  :cool:

Spanish moss on cypress,.....always cool

• Like 1

Thanks guys it was a quickie, I drove past saw the shot then backed up a quarter mile and snapped it out the window in the middle of the road, luckily there was no traffic..

• Like 2
  • Smile 1

History tells me you take the best shots while on the move! ;)

Just yanked this dead one down before it bopped somebody in the head. Now I have to buy the saw I guess. 

image.jpeg

1 hour ago, TEWKS said:

History tells me you take the best shots while on the move! ;)

Good times, almost missed ya with the 2nd one : )

Untitled photo

Untitled photo

• Like 2

Got a wee bit if carpenter work to do. That transom window was added after the vinyl siding so it sticks out too far. Im going to pull it, pull the interior trim, install the window and then redo the interior trim. The trim will have to have about an inch shaved off. Also, well be replacing the window on the right. 

From that transom yo the left was an add on at some point and there is s difference in elevation between the two. Gonna have to test fit a hardie plank to see how much i can get away with without the possibility of cracking.  Elevation difference is prolly 1/2”-3/4”

96FA12A6-DA3C-4C7B-BE94-2AF06B9F5F9C.jpeg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Rougarou said:

Gonna have to test fit a hardie plank to see how much i can get away with without the possibility of cracking.  Elevation difference is prolly 1/2”-3/4”

I don’t understand. I get that the height of each is at a different elevation but it is what it is & notch the plank accordingly. 
If your trying to have a consistent look on the plank/window frame interface just add a bit of wood (trim) to the top of the the low window frame??? :lurk:

2 hours ago, ESokoloff said:

I don’t understand. I get that the height of each is at a different elevation but it is what it is & notch the plank accordingly. 
If your trying to have a consistent look on the plank/window frame interface just add a bit of wood (trim) to the top of the the low window frame??? :lurk:

Not elevation up and down, it's elevation side to side.  The addition is about 1/2-3/4" wider than the original house, mebbee a bit more.  So the "elevation" between the addition and the original is different.

The red side sticks out farther than the yellow side.  It appears it wasn't a "flush" addition.

image.png.6f22b51b6f00e259682901e6a8a6c531.png

The transom window was placed "on top" of the original cedar siding.  Since I'm removing the cedar siding, I will need to put the window in deeper.  Doesn't look to be anything difficult, just a hiccup in the process.

OIC now (I think)

If the raw board doesn’t work out, how about feather boards to smooth out the transition? This will help to hide the sins of the past.  

Maybe even strips of Hardy stacked from multi to single that are pre attached to the studs in the recessed section & then the Hardy is screwed through?

6 hours ago, ESokoloff said:

OIC now (I think)

If the raw board doesn’t work out, how about feather boards to smooth out the transition? This will help to hide the sins of the past.  

Maybe even strips of Hardy stacked from multi to single that are pre attached to the studs in the recessed section & then the Hardy is screwed through?

Yep, I was thinking of shimming it down in some way.  The cedar is tapered, so, I might just run one of those that I pulled off vertically.

3 hours ago, Rougarou said:

I might just run one of those

I would run shims on several studs with a gradual thickness variance for best results.  

Searched Home Despot for furring strips & found this  (might be cheeper then what the wife charges:rofl:)

11 hours ago, ESokoloff said:

I would run shims on several studs with a gradual thickness variance for best results.  

Searched Home Despot for furring strips & found this  (might be cheeper then what the wife charges:rofl:)

We've got these 

51UwDqmvIWL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

Lowe's informed me that the siding for this wall was ready for pickup today.  Not much done in the hanging of siding department. 

First thing this morning I had to dispose of the cedar we pulled yesterday.  What better way than to make cedar mulch instead of burning it like I had been doing.  I didn't get a shot of the little trailer when we were done, but it was flush to the top all across.....and ya, it was drizzling a bit.  In order to get the siding into the chipper, I had to cut it in 3" widths.....nasty, nasty, but I think worth it.

IMG_2732.jpg

IMG_2733.jpg

IMG_2734.jpg

• Like 1
  • Smile 1
34 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

Those cedar chips would make a nice smoke for salmon if not moldy

Nah, they were painted.  Looks like a single coat of brown, 'round 1980. 

On 8/21/2022 at 3:56 PM, Rougarou said:

We've got these 

51UwDqmvIWL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

Lowe's informed me that the siding for this wall was ready for pickup today.  Not much done in the hanging of siding department. 

First thing this morning I had to dispose of the cedar we pulled yesterday.  What better way than to make cedar mulch instead of burning it like I had been doing.  I didn't get a shot of the little trailer when we were done, but it was flush to the top all across.....and ya, it was drizzling a bit.  In order to get the siding into the chipper, I had to cut it in 3" widths.....nasty, nasty, but I think worth it.

IMG_2732.jpg

IMG_2733.jpg

IMG_2734.jpg

Love my Mighty Mac

11 hours ago, ESokoloff said:

Love my Mighty Mac

I missed out on a hardly used one for $500.  I pinged the guy, he said he was going on vacation and would get back with me when he returned,....I pinged him day after return and he said he sold it:87:  It even had the chute out the top like I wanted.

Joe Frickin' Friday

Tonight I played around with the midjourney AI image creator. You get 25 free runs before you have to start paying.  My first input was simply "motorcycle journey", and it cranked out these four images:

244573652_motojourney.png.5e6fba3eb688b4f03358fa35045c0fa9.png

After poking a few buttons, it enlarged and enhanced the one on the bottom right:

1662407231_motorcyclejourneyfinal.thumb.png.1078aba50dcc24a74881148c5ba749e6.png

"Oil painting" seems to be its default style, but you can throw a whole paragraph of text input at it if you want.  While you're waiting for your images to generate, you can watch a stream of what other people are creating, as well as seeing the input they provided to get their results.  Cool stuff.  

• Like 2

A friend of mine works for a Mack shop, the owner collects old Macks, really old, chain drive stuff from the teens and '20s. My friend does all the motor and transmission work on them. One had mismatched heads, because that's how it goes sometimes. Another had a big giant hole in the block that had a patch brazed over it for a repair, he figured some time back in the '40s. When the rebuild started, he said no way is he boiling that block. Cleaned as well as possible, measured, assembled, ran like a dream. The owner brings them out to car shows occasionally, they are a hit when they show up.

When my friend started working on his motorcycle, he had to buy all new tools, none of his work tools were small enough to work on the bike.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

A little trout, shimps, Cajun taters, hush puppies, and coleslaw

E3C664AF-3300-48E2-B460-ADF936CACBEB.jpeg

27258446-CA26-4CF4-8C82-E25A64AD21DD.jpeg

Bring it ova, by the time you get here, Ill be hungry😁, really, really hungry

6 minutes ago, 9Mary7 said:

Man I love the food down here in the South......:clap:

Careful, you gon get fat real quick like. 

We put butter in everything and love our gluten!!!  Anything is deep fryable too. 

And unlike the weirdos out west, we put a little bit of tea in our sugar water

• Thanks 1

Not exactly right now. 

I got everything all caulked up. I work the caulk better when I do it by myself, if the wife helps, I like it when she works the caulk as it is messy, but she stayed inside today making fig preserves, and ugh baked fig wrapped with bacon, ya, it was not tasty, but the fig cake was nummy.  

Rained all day, so hopefully, I get to spray it tomorrow 

98A254CF-7E6C-4C1E-9349-40BC52282E19.thumb.jpeg.ebc81496a8de6d35b4fa5e8b7af4f50b.jpeg

• Haha 2