IGNORED

Craigslist find of the day

TEWKS

11 minutes ago, Ponch said:

if it was Kawasaki green, it would be hard to resist. 

I was thinking that very same thought a little bit ago! :thumbsup:

edit..Bam somebody didn’t care about the color! Gone! 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, fourteenfour said:

friends don't let friends ride R1200CL models... they so ugly that even STs start to shun them

My ST wouldn't be seen anywhere near one. 

They're so fugly the junkyards won't take 'em.

13 hours ago, fourteenfour said:

friends don't let friends ride R1200CL models... they so ugly that even STs start to shun them

Are you saying that if your dog was as ugly as this motorcycle, you’d shave its butt and teach it to walk backwards?  :classic_biggrin: 

image.gif.36d4b4955bc1589b487621816b503f43.gif

The CL wasn’t BMW’s best effort in a pleasing style exercise but, I’m absolutely sure I’d be smiling all day long chugging around on one.

fourteenfour
8 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Are you saying that if your dog was as ugly as this motorcycle, you’d shave its butt and teach it to walk backwards?  :classic_biggrin: 

The CL wasn’t BMW’s best effort in a pleasing style exercise but, I’m absolutely sure I’d be smiling all day long chugging around on one.

I kept my regular R1200C till 2004 and a buddy of mine was so enamored with my R1200C but wanted something to ride two up so he bought the CL. Three months later he was on RT and I know he got soaked on that, I only recall he said it was like a cow in the parking lot and it was too weak for two up.

Not the first time somebody said they were gutless. Wonder why? How or why were they detuned? :dontknow: 

I didn't say I would ride it..... just that someone should, full face helmet and smoked shield of course. :3:

• Haha 1

As far as the R1200CL goes , I think all you can say is that beauty is in the eye of the beholder....... there just ain’t many people beholding :dopeslap:

• Like 1

I rode one once when I owned my 1150RT. It was noticeably slower to the point I thought I was on a Harley😁. I know I’m in the small majority but I like them. If they didnt have all the problems of early boxers like brakes, inputs, clutches, and detuned engine, I would own one. Emerald green comes to mind. Rock throwing can now begin

There are reports that car crushers and scrap metal shredders would misteriously break down whenever a CL was around only to start again when it left.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I shouldn't look at this thread. My first RT was the red one and I also owned a Boston Green one as well.  Thinking back to "the good old days". Rode the red one to the MOA Rally in Redmond and picked up an Iron Butt membership along the way. :clap:

• Like 1
fourteenfour

I had a friend with that Honda Turbo and at the time I owned the Yamaha Seca Turbo...  and then there was our buddy Craig, he had the 750 Turbo Ninja...  really odd series of bikes

Suzuki briefly got into the turbo battle of early 80’s also but abandoned the fight early on. 

I don’t think they could make the horsepower needed to lure the 1100 and 1150 buyer back into the showroom. I don’t know if that was their intention but for some reason, the turbo Suzuki wasn’t around very long. Which is good if you happened to have one today. 🤑

W4QV7DOQQHZ456ASAZO4KUGR64.jpg

More here.

roadscholar

I had a Yamaha  Seca Turbo and a Honda CX500 Turbo, they were both a lot of fun and actually made good sport tourers. The CX650-T was built one year, 1983, a buddy had one and was really fast. It was cool having a 500/650 with 900/1000cc power, they had some turbo lag but once spooled up things happened pretty quick. Both caught me off guard once or twice, the Honda a big unplanned powerslide going up Wayah Bald and the Yammie a 3rd gear power wheelie when it came on boost cresting a hill. I'm a little surprised no one has made a modern one with all the advances in turbo tech.

Honda-CX500-Turbo-Left-Side.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 2
10 hours ago, roadscholar said:

I'm a little surprised no one has made a modern one with all the advances in turbo tech.

Honda-CX500-Turbo-Left-Side.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Interesting observation. Our Ascent has twin trubos. 260hp and 277 lb. ft of torque. It's a good engine for towing our boat though it kind of sucks when both turbos kick in pun intended)  Would one reason be that the market for a trubo bike today wouldn't be big enough to make it profitable?:dontknow:

roadscholar

Possibly. But motorcycle engine tech has benefitted from intense racing competition and filtered down to high performance road bikes, they don’t really need more power in fact more recently it’s being curbed with electronic aids. A 450lb motorcycle with 150hp is like a Porsche 911 with 1000hp, w/o computer controls the average bozo is gonna hurt himself : ) And pulling a load or fuel economy aren’t high priorities either for now and with EV progress may not be in the future.

12 hours ago, TEWKS said:

I don’t think they could make the horsepower needed

Horsepower was adequate but the advantage of the Suzuki was its handling. Of course the available tires couldn't fully exploit the chassis and the Kawi had bags of horsepower........ this being 'merica where HP is king, the Suzi bowed out.

My one ride on the XN85 was magic as a 25 yr old kid:classic_love:

• Like 1

A friend of a friend traveled out to California and brought one back somewhere around 1984. (Couldn’t find one here I guess)  He rode it home which at the time I thought was a monumental feat. Still kinda do, I guess. I never got to ride it but do remember him talking about how it was a pretty special model. I lost track of him and I don’t believe he held on to it.

If a turbo could be used to make the motor much smaller and lighter but just as powerful as a bigger motor with better fuel mileage, it might have some chance of being done. 

In a Cruiser or large touring bike, it might make for a better business model.

roadscholar
1 hour ago, Hosstage said:

If a turbo could be used to make the motor much smaller and lighter but just as powerful as a bigger motor with better fuel mileage, it might have some chance of being done. 

It can be and is what I alluded to with recent advances in turbo technology, I’m just not sure a manufacturer wants to go down that road with electricity looming on the horizon right now. But who knows, anything is possible these days.

Bill, I know you showcased this vehicle a while back. Funny, Electric / Turbo are each exciting, let’s use both. :classic_biggrin:

maxresdefault.jpg

Maybe there’s some type of electrical Turbo in this electric that justifies the name. :dontknow:

• Haha 1
roadscholar

Nope sorry to say it's a misnomer and all about marketing hype, Turbo in Porsche-speak has (since the 70's) signified the top of the line/fastest model so it's being used to describe the baddest Taycan yet with not a turbocharger in sight. Carrera just doesn't seem to cut it anymore : ) At $185k++ I'm guessing most of the folks buying them wouldn't know a turbocharger from an electric motor anyway and could care less..  

• Like 2
RandyShields
22 hours ago, roadscholar said:

Nope sorry to say it's a misnomer and all about marketing hype, Turbo in Porsche-speak has (since the 70's) signified the top of the line/fastest model so it's being used to describe the baddest Taycan yet with not a turbocharger in sight. Carrera just doesn't seem to cut it anymore : ) At $185k++ I'm guessing most of the folks buying them wouldn't know a turbocharger from an electric motor anyway and could care less..  

Agree.  I asked a friend of mine who was on the list to get one (until the price doubled) about that because I couldn't understand how an electric powered car could have a turbo. He reported that the Porsche response is that the acceleration in that model is so fast, that it mimics having a turbo.  Yep, just marketing.

Something, anything. Turbo Brakes? Rotors spin. :dontknow: Hey, could be worse I guess. “Turbo Shakes”. :classic_biggrin:
eae54298-b164-405d-8bae-c2b1053d9825.cd9

4 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

Something, anything. Turbo Brakes? Rotors spin. :dontknow: Hey, could be worse I guess. “Turbo Shakes”. :classic_biggrin:
eae54298-b164-405d-8bae-c2b1053d9825.cd9

Those shakes work faster than others,.....meaning it goes from intake to exhaust rather quickly.

• Haha 3