IGNORED

College Football 2010

beemerman2k

Wow, you can't make mistakes when you're playing the #1 team in the nation. Alabama is (finally) back on top 24-20 with 3:18 left to play.

Arkansas has impressed me thoroughly; they have been the dominant team out there on the field today -- hitting, running, passing, catching, talkin' trash. I'm impressed. I can see where even if they lost today, they might still actually gain in the rankings :Cool:

Awww, that was a really bad pass interference call on the Alabama D. Bad call. Officials need to do better when the game is on the line like this.

OH, BIG PLAY!!! ALABAMA INTERCEPTS RYAN!!! GAME OVER, BABY!

It wasn't over with the interception. I was still worried till they got the first down. THEN it was over. That was more than I was prepared to deal with. knary.gif

Arkansas played way better the #10 today. They should hold their ranking, if not move up even though they lost. They'll be a force to be reckoned with next year. Might even win the SEC west.

Oh, & what was that worry you had about BGSU? :grin:

Oh, & what was that worry you had about BGSU? :grin:

That was a total lack of confidence and respect for Michigan's defense. I didn't consider the power of their offense, though. So yes, I'll take it, but you and I both know that if Michigan played a team like either Alabama or Arkansas, they wouldn't look so hot. Major reconstructive surgery on that defense? Now we have a team! Until then, though, I'm on pins and needles until there 0:00 on the clock.

I was wondering what happened as well. I didn't even consider this game among my listed big games for today, so I had no inkling of an upset in Austin.

Wow, not only did Texas lose, but they lost at home! They'll be lucky to be ranked when the list comes out tomorrow.

Oh, of course, UCLA's coach, Rick Neuheisel, has been around for some time. He coached both Colorado and Washington at various points in his career, and was a coordinator at UCLA waay back when, so in terms of coaching, I suppose this isn't all that surprising.

Ricky's been a good coach for some time, no question. But Tehas loosing at home? To an unranked team? How could anyone see that coming?

But then, I remember then #1 Bama losing to unranked Miss. St. circa 1981. A defensive game that was decided by field goals. Final score was 6-3.

That's not only why they play the game, but moreover, why we watch the games.

My guess is Arkansas #7, Texas #15. This prediction might change depending on the outcome of the SC/Aub game.

This SC at Auburn game is almost as good as the Alabama at Arkansas game. This one is a doozey! Battles like this one is why I love this game so much. I end up with serious withdrawals come mid-January.

Looking like an undefeated FL/Ala match up for next Saturday...I was impressed by the Razorback's game play and this back and forth SC/AU game is killing me....

I cannot believe South Carolina lost that game. On one hand, I figured they were the most likely team to lost to a lesser ranked team simply because they were on the road and they were at Auburn. On the other, I am not at all happy about it.

OK, although I mixed in some humor, I was very serious in my question about Michigan State's head coach. This is among the most high stress jobs there is! And not just mentally or emotionally stressful, but its physically taxing as well. These coaches put in long days leading practice, but lots of film time, and planning, too. They practically live on the job!

If a head coach has a known heart condition that can be made worse with stress, is it wise for that coach to continue with his job? Is it wise for the University to keep him in that job? Will Michigan State's head coach remain on as a "figure head", but with no real responsibilities or does the full weight of his job remain on his shoulders?

James,,at something you love to do whilst being RICHLY compensated.

Scrutiny, yes, but if you can't do what you want to do and love to do, while making more money in a year than a police officer (let's talk stress) does in a lifetime, w/out "stress", what the hell would happen to that person if they had to do something else.

Doctors in training, little sleep, no money, life and death decisions, no respite, that is a situation that is beyond control of the person.

A football coach works long hours, but can control (and does) the schedule, routine, can control diet and exercise, and should.

If they make bad choices, that isn't because of the job, it isn't because someone will die if they stop for the day, it is because the want to win and continue getting the money and adulation.

Sounds more like an actor to me.

Even if the fail, financially they are in the toplittle percentage of wage earners.

Cars, houses, high salaries, perks, fame, those aren't the external factors of stress, IMO.

Now, if they burn the candle, don't take care of themself, then like any job, it could lead to physical issues.

If there is a predisposition, then it isn't the job per se.

Like Urban Cryer, his issues were totally self induced. There may be a predisposition, but he should act accordingly having that info, not dehydrate himself and cause preventable reactions.

Prison guards, CO's, people working with criminally insane inmates, now those folks have stress because so much of the environment is out of their control. At any time X could happen and it usually involves violent/physical interactions.

Sorry, most people would trade jobs with a head football coach and take the "stress" involved.

Even in failure the trip to the bank would be pleasant.

Best wishes.

OK, Tim, that explains why the coach, himself, would want to keep the job, but what about the University or even the league? Wouldn't they want to prevent a scenario where a head coach drops dead right there on the side lines during a major battle on the gridiron? What if a referee throws the flag on a player and the head coach blows up in anger and then "plop" -- get the stretcher 'cause he's out of there!

If this were Michigan's head coach, I don't care how much he wins, I would want him out of there. Maybe the league should establish some minimum health standards for coaches to ensure they can do the job. The negative backlash on the sport if one were to drop dead during a game would be huge! In this day and age when people all complain about any behavior that is "dangerous, risky, or violent" as many see football, something like this would have folks crying out to our collective parents, the government, to break up this ultra-violent activity that exists purely for blood lust and big money. That's how a lot of the public perceives this sport -- at least up here in New England (figures, right :smirk:). Anyhow, the "60 Minutes" segments, the "Eye Witness News Investigates" special on the local university -- the media would be like sharks who smell blood in the water and they'd move in for the kill.

James,

the history of the game has seen hundreds of deaths by players.

Didn't search, but I'm fairly sure a sideline death by a coach is as rare as a teacher/professor dropping dead in class.

Here is one sad story

Unusual, compared to the numerous death every year by players.

So as a statistical concern, coaching football isn't likely to result in death on a sideline.

Schools need to do more for players safety IMO.

I"m curious how the rankings fall this week.

I think Arkansas should only loose a couple spots.

WVU drops out.

Oregon State drops out.

A few others move into the rankings.

Texas drops below #20. You can't get pounded at home by an unranked team and expect to stay in the top 15 or even top 20. Iowa lost on the road to a ranked team by only 1 TD after making a huge comeback and still fee 9 spots.

I think most of the big 10 teams slide up 1 or 2 spots except maybe Penn State. PSU almost pulled a Texas. But then again, SU wasn't ranked in the top 10.

I think Boise State showed they are a top 10 team, but I still don't think they are a top 5 team. They allowed a #24 team to scope 24 points and make a comeback on their blue turf. Alabama only allowed 20 points on the road to a much better Arkansas team. I think they are very, very good, just not #3 or #2 good. I think they only get a shot if Bama and OSU lose more than 1 game and Nebraska loses at least 2 games.

Consider that the cupcake MAC schools that most of the Big 10 pounded this weekend using mostly back-ups in the 2nd half, are as good or better than the other 10 games BSU plays.

I think

Yeah, I see things pretty much the same way.

I seriously doubt Penn State's standings. Should they even be ranked? I guess we'll find out soon, but they barely squeaked by yesterday. In fact, I was going to predict an upset but then I thought, "wait, this is Temple at Penn State". Yet, Penn State struggled all day yesterday. I'm not feeling this "Penn State" thing this fall, but once the conference games kick in, we'll see how good they really are.

oNE wORD.....H A W K E Y E S

Iowa 45 - Ball State 0

Wow, that's really something, 'bone. Now that Iowa's finished up with the Little Sisters of the Poor League it's headed towards the meat of the Big Ten schedule.

No more cupcakes to spank, next up is Penn State and then Michigan. :lurk:

PSU should be a good warm-up on the Big 10 schedule. Their defense will test Iowa's offense, but their offense is still struggling. I predict something like 27-13 with Iowa's defense creating at least 2 turnovers.

Michigan will score at least 24 on Iowa, but their defense allows 35 or more. MI will be a great test for Iowas defense and should help them learn how to handle OSU's offense.

I see the MSU game as a biggest next to OSU. WI seems vulnerable on their defense at times. OSU is very complete, but their defense did allow EMU to score 20 points, most in the first half. Northwestern will present some challenges as usual.

I think Arizona will be a bump in the road. Don't forget, they came back from a 3 TD deficit caused by mistakes and it was their game otto win in the 4th quarter. But their short pass game and O line couldn't handle the blitz. It looked like overtime at OSU all over again were they got blitzed out of field goal range.

I don't think we've yet seen Iowa truly firing on all 8 cylinders.

" Maybe the league should establish some minimum health standards for coaches to ensure they can do the job."

Say what????? :S You're joking, right?

That's more 'out there' than the hodge-podge of helmet and muffler(noise) laws and regulations through out the States. :dopeslap:

Ummm... a coach isn't a player, this isn't the military and the guy isn't in the transportation industry. I'm pretty sure there are laws against in depth medical exams as a condition of employment.

There's a heck of a long list of coaches that I'd consider a higher risk just looking at them than MSU's coach.

Are you suggesting that a coach undergo a full body MRI or CAT scan to see if they have clogged arteries, tumor or some other undiagnosed condition? What do you suggest is the minimum blood pressure, blood sugar, and so on?

I am simply advocating a realistic look at our sport as the outside sees it. The feeding frenzy on the part of the media and the critics would be completely illogical and unjustified, but since when has that stopped the media from making a marginal and insignificant issue a national fixation? Yes, I am advocating that universities be aware of the implications of what could happen if a prominent figure, like a head football coach with a known heart condition who has already suffered a heart attack, should drop dead on the side lines in the heat of battle.

Is that a risk worth taking? I'm simply asking that athletic directors everywhere ask themselves that question.

oNE wORD.....H A W K E Y E S

Iowa 45 - Ball State 0

Wow, that's really something, 'bone. Now that Iowa's finished up with the Little Sisters of the Poor League it's headed towards the meat of the Big Ten schedule.

No more cupcakes to spank, next up is Penn State and then Michigan. :lurk:

aND wE'LL again Own them -- both.!! wOOT.!

tallman, "ban"? "public employment"? Are those conditions I used? I am a diabetic and I have a contract with the State of Connecticut!

If things went my way, Athletic Directors would stipulate in the contracts of their head coaches, not their secretaries, not their administrators, not their faculty, not their cheerleaders, just their head coaches, that if they are deemed physically ill fit for the job, then that might serve as grounds for the termination of the deal.

I used to watch Kansas U's head football coach with that gut a mile long and think to myself, "now there's a heart attack waiting to happen". So far, nothing. He's doing fine. OK, good thing I'm not Kansas athletic director.

From what I understand, Mark Dantonio, Michigan State's head coach, had physical attributes that contributed to his heart attack. The source of the poroblem was not stress, but a blocked artery. Now that the problem has been medically resolved, he should be fine. Great! Send him back out there. I'm good with that. BUT, if the source of the problem was stress, then I'd say terminate that mans contract immediately!

By law? Government should step in? Of course not! The athletic directors, if not the NCAA, ought to insist upon this type of policy. "Ban"?! Is that what I'm saying here? I think not.

You can't just apply it to fb coaches.

That would be discriminatory.

All sorts of "coaches" and sponsors employed by State U.

And if you could legally do that, it would open a big can of worms if anyone ever had a health related issue that led to their death who wasn't a fb caoch.

If it is foreseeable wrt a fb coach, why not position of employment X?

Oh, State U only cares to protect themself from suits by fb coach's survivors?

I'd sue 'em if my spouse died whilst in employ and they had such a condition for fb coaches.

Sorry, can't buy it as fair and impartial.

The coach knew he had a condition and chose his employment.

Just like Urbane MyohMyer, he shouldacouldatokkabetter care of himself but didn't.

So?

I'd say plenty of coaches have medical conditions and some look like they have been chained to a buffet tray for decades, but they manage.

If you want UMitchigan to "protect" itself from a DOTS (death on the sideline) the only way to do that is, immediately stop participating in any activity where that might happen.

Ban athletics.

Well, add i med school law school engineering school and all the other places where stress is a factor and graduates must pass stringent licensing exams.

How about athletes?

Waaay to many die each year.

Who should be held responsible?

The parents for producing an inferior specimen?

Previous caoches/doctors for failing to recognize/diagnose?

Current coaches/trainers/doctors?

The athlete?

The media?

Fans?

Nope, high profile job with high profile perks and pay.

I'd swap with any one of them in a heartbeat ( :/)

Might serve as grounds for termination?

If I get sick, or have a heart attack you'll terminate me?

Come on, that's stressful enough to induce an attack and would be just what their lawyer would argue.

To employ someone with the condition that future medical changes wouold lead to termination is abhorrent.

If the employee could no longer execute the duties of their contract then that would be simple enough.

The last few posts don't look like SMACK talking to me folks....Let's use posts like that for "other" areas of "Riders discuss other topics"

Just sayin....Lets keep the "fun" part going here....

Like.......Go GATORS.....Let's turn the TIDE......pink !!!!!!

Tim, you read waaaaaaaaaaaay too much into this. I don't even know what to say in response.

I am under the assumption that head coaches are employed by universities under fundamentally different terms than the rest of the university staff, such as professors, administrators, maintenance people, counsellors, etc. If that is an incorrect assumption on my part; if head coaches are employed under the same terms as that of other adminstrative staff, then I can see your point -- what I am advocating ought to apply universally across the board. And maybe this is your point and you make it because of my incorrect assumptions. And for the record, no, I do not feel that this policy ought to apply across the board, just for head coaches *ONLY*.

BUT, if head coaches are employed under distinctly unique terms by a university that is fundamentally different and distinct from that of other staff, meaning that sports head coaches have a unique set of stipulations and terms in their contracts that are not shared by others, then I am simply advocating one more stipulation and term: you are under obligation to remain physically fit for the job as a condition of your employment.

If that stipulation proves "too stressful" for you ("you", meaning the head coach) to maintain, then hit the road!

That's as clearly as I can state my position, take it or leave it, but please address the specific issue I am raising and not the wild implications that you think might underly my position.

the ranking came out. All is pretty much well in the universe. Texas dropped to #21. Which might still be generous. For example Penn State is #22, and their only loss was to #1 Alabama... on the road with a young QB.

I still think BSU and TCU should be 2 or 3 spots lower not having dominated any teams that are currently top 25. A #3 team should be able to dominate a #24 team at home at night. Not allow 4 scores and win by only a couple TD's. Maybe I'm being unfair.

the ranking came out. All is pretty much well in the universe. Texas dropped to #21. Which might still be generous. For example Penn State is #22, and their only loss was to #1 Alabama... on the road with a young QB.

I still think BSU and TCU should be 2 or 3 spots lower not having dominated any teams that are currently top 25. A #3 team should be able to dominate a #24 team at home at night. Not allow 4 scores and win by only a couple TD's. Maybe I'm being unfair.

LSU at 10/12 is a joke. I was in the stands in Death Valley Saturday night. LSU quarterback situation is horrendous. The starter is a junior that has not progressed past his freshman year. Great kid go love em but ready for SEC prime time he is not. We had less than 100 yards passing against Vandy, Miss St and WVU. We have only one other scholarship QB. The top of the SEC will kill us and best we'll split with the middle. I see a 7-5 train wreck coming...

Great games this past weekend:

1) Alabama at Arkansas was a doozey! Poor Huzband couldn't enjoy it like I could, but it was a classic colassal battle.

2) South Carolina at Auburn -- another great contest. I thought SC was going to run away with it, then Auburn came on strong, but it wasn't enough, strike that, it was! Wow.

3) California at Arizona. Arizona scored a big win and a huge jump in the rankings when they beat Iowa, and 1 week later they're in trouble with less that 2 minutes to play, in their own home stadium, and they're down 9-3 to unraned California. At the last minute, Arizona scores a touchdown to go up 10-3, and then intercept Cal to end the game as Cal was trying to get close enough for a field goal. Wow!

Michigan won against Bowling Green, but they were served a stiff warning concerning their offensive plan of attack: they almost lost #16 Denard Robinson, the Heisman leading quarterback, to injury as he was gaining big yards while running down field. Dude, try being a pocket passer, you'll need those skills when you meet Michigan State, Iowa, Wisconsin, and Ohio State.

I love this game :Cool:

Michigan won against Bowling Green, but they were served a stiff warning concerning their offensive plan of attack: they almost lost #16 Denard Robinson, the Heisman leading quarterback, to injury as he was gaining big yards while running down field. Dude, try being a pocket passer, you'll need those skills when you meet Michigan State, Iowa, Wisconsin, and Ohio State.

Going to take more then skills to beat the MIGHTY BUCKEYE MACHINE, with Mr. Pryor at QB!!!! :) A whole lotta luck still will not get the MEECAGAN bunch a win this year.

While 65 points is impressive. What should still be a concern is that they allowed 21 points... and they weren't in the 4th quarter. Similarly OSU allowed 20 points from Eastern Michigan.

Hopefully UofM will continue to beat up their opponents offensively, because I'm not sure their defense can hold a good Big Ten team to under 30 points.

Michigan only scored 28 points on a not so good Noter Dame squad. I think the best Big Ten teams can hold them to 24 points and generate turnovers.

Going to take more then skills to beat the MIGHTY BUCKEYE MACHINE, with Mr. Pryor at QB!!!! :) A whole lotta luck still will not get the MEECAGAN bunch a win this year.

All this Big 10 trash talk around here. ABOUT TIME! I was beginning to wonder where the Big 10 folks are hiding around here. The only one's talkin' any trash are the Iowa guys!

But ahh yes, how could I think a Buckeye would take a muted approach to the season -- especially with respect to Michigan? That would go against everything Woody and Bo stood for :thumbsup:

So OK, as a Michigan guy, I'm not in much of a position to say much given how my boys have played of late, so I'm going to have to take it like a man. But don't let Michigan beat any of you guys! I guarantee you the other moderators here will have to lock me out and delete my account, 'cause the trash talk will be NON-STOP! :wave:

Yes, motoguy128, that's exactly my same concern. I read it the same way you do, so I know Michigan will only go so far. BUT, that will make any victories over other top Big 10 teams that much more laughable :rofl:

They do get ot play Indiana, Illinois and Purdue. SO they're almost guranteed 7 wins this season. Although Indiana thsi week ,isn't as bad as in the past and it's a road game.

Nice n Easy Rider
Great games this past weekend:

1) Alabama at Arkansas was a doozey! Poor Huzband couldn't enjoy it like I could, but it was a classic colassal battle.

Beemerman, you can probably thank Duke's effort the week before for making the Arkansas game competitive. Duke kept the 'Bama offense on the field for so many plays that 'Bama must have lost a little something going into the Arkansas game. :D

Well, 'Bama hosts Florida this coming weekend, and at South Carolina the week after that, so they have a tough 2 weeks coming up. I'm going to enjoy watching both these games, but if Alabama wins them both, then I see nothing bout smooth sailing for them until their last game of the season. Hosting Auburn could be a doozey of a game, too!

All this Big 10 trash talk around here. ABOUT TIME! I was beginning to wonder where the Big 10 folks are hiding around here.

They're too busy rubbing worry beads about ANOTHER beatdown coming at the hands of the SEC...

Matt, I have only 1 thing to say: here's a game Florida had better win or I guarantee you that you'll block all my future posts from your browser:

Sat, Nov 20 Appalachian State

C'mon App State! I'm tired of hearing about the Michigan debacle. Give us some new footage to show on ESPN College Gameday :grin:

Matt, I have only 1 thing to say: here's a game Florida had better win or I guarantee you that you'll block all my future posts from your browser:

Sat, Nov 20 Appalachian State

C'mon App State! I'm tired of hearing about the Michigan debacle. Give us some new footage to show on ESPN College Gameday :grin:

LOL... deal James!

Matt, I have only 1 thing to say: here's a game Florida had better win

I disagree....IF (notice the if) Florida does loose this game a few more games under the belts of the young defence might make Florida harder to beat in the SEC championship game which could ruin Alabama's chance of another National Championship. by the way it works both ways IF florida wins...and like Matt says..can you Yankees beat the boys from the south....DOUBT IT...

I know it's a little early to be looking ahead to this weekend, but Wow do we have some doozies coming up!

11 Wisconsin @ 24 Michigan St: Big time Big 10 clash. Nothing will surprise me with respect to the outcome.

21 Texas @ 8 Oklahoma: Anyone else here expect Oklahoma to fall fast and hard anytime now? They squeak by unranked competitors on a wing and a prayer. Now they face an angry (at least I hope they're angry) Texas ready to bounce back from that embarrasing loss at home to UCLA. I smell blood in the water on this one.

9 Stanford @ 4 Oregon: Oh man! The 2 hottest teams in the PAC 10!

7 Florida @ 1 Alabama: The game of the weekend. Period.

22 Penn St @ 17 Iowa: Another big Big 10 battle. Are they for real or what? As of now, the jury is still out on both of them as far as I'm concerned. We'll learn alot about these 2 teams after Saturday.

I just bought tickets to the Air Force-Navy game to be played at Falcon Stadium. I can't wait.

Gooooo Navy~

You just made my list, buddy. :mad:

Archived