IGNORED

College Football 2010

beemerman2k

After watching that Florida game, even though it was the first game of the year, I may start a Wait Till Next Year thread.... :eek:

That was not a #4 team playing football yesterday....if that continues in a shape form or fashion.................

James,

The Boise State Virgina Tech game should be an excellent match. I'm looking forward to that game, also. :lurk:

Like many here I'm watching it too. I get the feeling that ESPN has VT as its designated favorite and is hyping them despite the arse whipping BSU is administering. I guess it comes down to the population density in Boise and whereeverthehellVTis but something tells me folks on the east coast are gonna be disappointed.

I dread the day when BSU becomes a member of the Mountain West Conference.....(spoken as an AFA fan).

VT is located in Blackburg, a small town along Route 81, near the Tennessee border. They're overwhelmed with Boise State; they don't really know what to do. I get the sense they're just hanging on for dear life.

Let's see how they do when they come out of the lockers in the 2nd half. As of now, they're clearly outclassed, although much of BSU's points came off of VT's terrible mistakes, dumb penalties, and sloppy play.

OK, BSU turnover results in a VT touchdown. This game ain't quite over yet... :lurk:

James,

The Boise State Virgina Tech game should be an excellent match. I'm looking forward to that game, also. :lurk:

Like many here I'm watching it too. I get the feeling that ESPN has VT as its designated favorite and is hyping them despite the arse whipping BSU is administering. I guess it comes down to the population density in Boise and whereeverthehellVTis but something tells me folks on the east coast are gonna be disappointed.

I dread the day when BSU becomes a member of the Mountain West Conference.....(spoken as an AFA fan).

At least the AFA isn't bolting the conference like BYU and Utah. (OK, I do realize that Utah received an offer they couldn't really afford to lose).

I have a great deal of respect for AFA. Those young men play like the devil even though they were recruited to be airmen.

This is the most exciting game this weekend; it is definitely living up to the billing. Now we have this VT QB play where the back of his hand is down, yet he gets up and scrambles for an additional 11 yards! It looked like Boise State was going to run away with things, but their first 17 was off VT mistakes. The Hoakies tightened up their game and now its a battle. BSU 26 - VT 27, 8:12 left in the game. I love College Football!

It's not looking good for BSU...

Edit: Yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and retract that statement. :)

I guess that's the definition of a close game.

That was a f-a-n-t-a-s-t-i-c game!!! Wow. I'm just glad I didn't have a horse in this race; I could sit back and enjoy. OK, BSU has won me over.

great first weeken high school matchups on espn over the last d of college football. some good games coming up this weekend as well.

also enjoyed the high school games on espn.

Oh Boy! It's that time of year again, folks!

Week 1:

UConn is determined to play on New Years Day and Michigan is determined to, um, win a game this fall :cry:

Michigan 1-0 , Uconn 0-1

Boise St. over Virginia Tech! Really good game. Way to pull it out Cowboys.

OK, Fubar, I stand corrected.

Any predictions for this coming Saturday? Is Michigan going to be 2-0? Personally, I think they will be.

What a great day of football on tap this Saturday:

No. 1 Alabama vs. No. 14 Penn State, 7 p.m.

No. 2 Ohio State vs. No. 12 Miami (Fla.), 3:30 p.m.

No. 10 Oklahoma vs. No. 18 Florida State, 3:30 p.m.

No. 19 Georgia at No. 25 South Carolina, noon

Michigan at Notre Dame 3:30

I like: Alabama, Ohio State, Oklahoma, South Carolina and Notre Dame.

Yes, those are the great games of this weekend. I agree with your picks, but I'm taking Michigan over ND. Why? I think Michigan is more hungry to win. But if ND can contain QB Denard Robinson, then we'll have a game indeed. Michigan's defense is suspect to say the least.

Thet question might be... if a team with a strong secondary can shutdown the pass, can Robinson still run? Also, can an quick athletic defense collapse on the line and stop the run while still coverign the pass. MI will be facing a lot of better, more athletic defenses that Conn. in the upcomming weeks.

I like: Alabama, Ohio State, Oklahoma, South Carolina and Notre Dame.

I'll take the opposite! Hedge on Bama only if Ingram is out. Very tough for Miami and FSU to pull off the upsets on the road, but their ascendancy, speed and QB strength makes that a fair bet. Plus, the 'Canes are going to be getting after Terelle. What a weekend!

#13 Virginia Tech loses at home to James Madison University!!!

Wow, this is the upset of the season so far. I guess VT is still smarting from that Boise State loss.

Hoakies are not only not likely ranked anymore, they're history. They squandered a lot of opportunity. Sad.

Michigan is looking strong as of now, but ND is in QB trouble. Interesting to see Joe Montana's son in the QB position for ND.

And I love the caps the coaches are wearing! The ND and Michigan logos are in red, white, and blue, rather than the usual colors :thumbsup:

Michigan's QB, Denard Robinson, just ripped off an 87 yard run for a touchdown! Holy smokes this kid is good.

Florida did more than enough, Michigan wins a must, Spurrier still coaches 'em up, Oklahoma has speed, 'Bama looks like a #1,

awful day for ACC.

We played just well enough to be awful.

End of the year bowl matchups will produce some interesting matchups and plenty of upsets.

Great Game

I'm still smoldering. Were I head coach, I would make that Michigan secondary WALK home! Gimmie a break, they looked so sloppy. I'm shocked.

Good thing ND was missing their starting QB for 2 quarters or I think Michigan would have lost this one.

Nonetheless, I expect Michigan will be ranked on Tuesday. I'll enjoy it, as in the Big 10, it will likely be short lived. Wisconsin, Iowa, and Ohio State will not let Robinson run rough-shod over their defenses, and Michigan's secondary cannot slack off and still expect to win the game against these powerhouse teams.

Florida did more than enough, Michigan wins a must, Spurrier still coaches 'em up, Oklahoma has speed, 'Bama looks like a #1,

awful day for ACC.

We played just well enough to be awful.

End of the year bowl matchups will produce some interesting matchups and plenty of upsets.

I was quite shocked when I finally saw this score. I watched about half of the 3rd and 4th quarters and about half the OSU game today.

Lots of big games, I'm glad it's football season.

Weeeeelllll, the Frogs managed to eke out a win over Tennessee Tech 62-7. I never heard of Tennessee Tech, apparently for good reason. :/

Utah took out UNLV 38-10. I'm a little disappointed in the Utes, they should have trounced UNLV. :eek:

On a more positive note, Air Force defeated BYU 35-14. I was just telling a colleague on Friday that Air Force has a tough bunch of kids. . . wish I'd taken his bet on Friday. :P

In other news, my high school, L.D. Bell trounced Haltom High 51-0 on Friday night. :Cool:

I'm on a roll, maybe I should see how the old Jr. High did on Thursday. :grin:

Agree Sharon. I have several AFA former players in my office. What an awesome group of young men. Several of them were teammates of the current coach and like the direction the program is headed. Congrats to your Frogs...

#13 Virginia Tech loses at home to James Madison University!!!

Wow, this is the upset of the season so far. I guess VT is still smarting from that Boise State loss.

Hoakies are not only not likely ranked anymore, they're history. They squandered a lot of opportunity. Sad.

Boise State may end up being the big loser due to JMU upset.

Just what we need.

:/

Not.

A po'd BYU coming off a loss and looking to avenge our rout of them out there last year.

Defense still the name of the game in college and the teams with the speed on defense, and the ability to finish tackles (we led the country in not finishing tackles) will prevail 9 out of 10 times.

Speed on offense, Demps/UF, is a game changer, will beat big 8 out of 10 times.

When you combine them, like 'Bama/OU/ UF? tough to beat.

OSU ? not a beleiver yet, but credit them for big time out of conference game.

At Michigan looks like a test.

OSU & PSU at home.

09/04/10 – vs. Eastern Illinois (VCD) – Iowa City, IA – 11:01 AM

09/11/10 – vs. Iowa State – Iowa City, IA – 2:36 PM

09/18/10 – at Arizona – Tucson, AZ – 9:36 PM

09/25/10 – vs. Ball State – Iowa City, IA – TBA

10/02/10 – vs. Penn State (HC) * – Iowa City, IA – 7:05 PM

10/16/10 – at Michigan * – Ann Arbor, MI – 2:36 PM

10/23/10 – vs. Wisconsin (FW) * – Iowa City, IA – TBA

10/30/10 – vs. Michigan State * – Iowa City, IA – TBA

11/06/10 – at Indiana * – Bloomington, IN – TBA

11/13/10 – at Northwestern * – Evanston, IL – TBA

11/20/10 – vs. Ohio State * – Iowa City, IA – TBA

11/27/10 – at Minnesota * – Minneapolis, MN – TBA

Could be their year.

I haven't added my .02 yet, I'm still not sure what the Red Raiders have this year. They were pretty sporadic against SMU and New Mexico looked pretty bad last night.

Tubberville and his boys seem to be a very good staff. He's 180 degrees from Leach.

That being said, the Evil Burnt Orange is coming to Lubbock this weekend and we'll find out what we really have. Tailgating will start Thursday, or earlier. The students will open Raiderville early this week. That's where they camp out at the stadium for the best seats. I'll post a link when the stories come out. These kids camp in style.

At Michigan looks like a test.

OSU & PSU at home.

09/04/10 – vs. Eastern Illinois (VCD) – Iowa City, IA – 11:01 AM

09/11/10 – vs. Iowa State – Iowa City, IA – 2:36 PM

09/18/10 – at Arizona – Tucson, AZ – 9:36 PM

09/25/10 – vs. Ball State – Iowa City, IA – TBA

10/02/10 – vs. Penn State (HC) * – Iowa City, IA – 7:05 PM

10/16/10 – at Michigan * – Ann Arbor, MI – 2:36 PM

10/23/10 – vs. Wisconsin (FW) * – Iowa City, IA – TBA

10/30/10 – vs. Michigan State * – Iowa City, IA – TBA

11/06/10 – at Indiana * – Bloomington, IN – TBA

11/13/10 – at Northwestern * – Evanston, IL – TBA

11/20/10 – vs. Ohio State * – Iowa City, IA – TBA

11/27/10 – at Minnesota * – Minneapolis, MN – TBA

Could be their year.

Iowa couldn't have a better schedule. Their hardest road test comes off a bye week. All other top teams are at home. Iowa had to play all these games on the road last year with only UofM at home.

OSU and Iowa could possibly face each other, as undefeated teams on Nov. 20th to decide who goes to the BCS championship game. Heck even if both have 1 loss, they might still have a shot.

Boise State OTOH jsut lost their ticket ot hte national title game. Unless the other top contenders lose 1 or 2 games each, I don't see the justification. They only just barely beat V-Tech, who could even handle JM. Oregon State got beat pretty easily by another top 20 team, so they don't seem to be much of a test. Maybe if they manage to hold all of their remaining opponents to only field goals and light them all up for at elast 5TD's in every game AND all of hte other top contenders have 1 or 2 losses.

Oregon State got beat pretty easily by another top 20 team, so they don't seem to be much of a test.

You must not have watched the same game I did.

I agree. Oregon State's defense was on that field for 40 minutes of that game and still kept it close. TCU is a very, very good team. OSU QB Ryan Katz, however, has a big-time arm - I'm sure we will be seeing more of that young man on the highlights this year. Interested to see how they handle Louisville after a week off. Left Coast Football is probably better than we think.

OK, Fubar, I stand corrected.

Any predictions for this coming Saturday? Is Michigan going to be 2-0? Personally, I think they will be.

Well, as a loyal Wolverine (& Seminole, don't ask) fan, I would always, ALWAYS pull for an ND defeat. They are my most hated team/college, even more than the Buckeyes. (I think that may make me a heretic but so be it. :grin: )

But as it is now Monday I can confidently proclaim Denard and company are 2-0!! Man, that guy can play. The O-line is doing really well and the receivers are good. There is serious potential for the naysayers of the last two years to eat the crow this year.

Michigan wins a must, awful day for ACC.

We (FSU) played just well enough to be awful.

I was so pissed watching that game, I just hit fast-forward for the second half and hoped for reason to hit play. Found none. Did the starters call in sick or something? Looked like a HS team showed up in OK. Only saving grace was it wasn't a conference game.

I haven't added my .02 yet, I'm still not sure what the Red Raiders have this year. They were pretty sporadic against SMU and New Mexico looked pretty bad last night.

Tubberville and his boys seem to be a very good staff. He's 180 degrees from Leach.

Based on my SEC expreience, Tubber-whatshisname is not a bad coach. Oh, wait. Wasn't he the same cow college coach in Alabama somewhere? Yeah. Now he's gonna get his butt kicked in the SWC, as well as the SEC prior. Poor Tommy. :grin:

Nice n Easy Rider

Some useless trivia regarding the Alabama-Duke game:

Former Alabama coach Wallace Wade led the Crimson Tide to their first three national championships before suddenly leaving in 1930 to build Duke into a national football power.

Third year Duke coach David Cutcliffe is an Alabama native and is very aware of the legacy of Wade, "The connection with coach Wade is special I think about this ball game, and I think it's very appropriate that Alabama is coming to Wallace Wade Stadium to play," Cutcliffe says.

Fitting that another Alabama man leads Duke into this meeting. Cutcliffe was born in Alabama, graduated from the University of Alabama and was a student assistant under legendary Tide coach Paul "Bear" Bryant.

Duke's Stadium was the scene of the 1942 Rose Bowl:

The 1942 Rose Bowl was the 28th Rose Bowl game. Originally scheduled to be played in the Rose Bowl Stadium in Pasadena, California, it was moved to Durham, North Carolina, due to fears about an attack by the Japanese on the West Coast of the United States following the attack on Pearl Harbor. The United States government had ordered that large public gatherings on the West Coast of the United States were to be prohibited for the duration of the war, and the first significant canceled event was the Rose Bowl Game scheduled for New Year's Day, 1942. The Oregon State Beavers defeated the host Duke Blue Devils 20-16 in Duke Stadium on the Duke University campus.

Come on let's cheer for the underdogs.........not....Sorry Duke...I want Florida and Alabama to meet with clear records....Then I can cheer for the underdogs.... :mad: (my game face for Huzband)

Come on let's cheer for the underdogs.I want Florida and Alabama to meet with clear records....Then I can cheer for the underdogs.... :mad: (my game face for Huzband)

I want Michigan vs. Florida State so I can determine if my head will actually spontaneously explode from delight or because I can't figure out who should win.

But wait, FSU lost so, not this year. I live another year. I'll go for a ride to celebrate. My wife will be so happy.

Come on let's cheer for the underdogs.I want Florida and Alabama to meet with clear records....Then I can cheer for the underdogs.... :mad: (my game face for Huzband)

I want Michigan vs. Florida State so I can determine if my head will actually spontaneously explode from delight or because I can't figure out who should win.

But wait, FSU lost so, not this year. I live another year. I'll go for a ride to celebrate. My wife will be so happy.

I'm still smarting from a Florida State at Michigan game that took place sometime in the early 90's. The 'Noles ran roughshot all over Michigan stadium that day. They made it look easy! Payback would be nice, but I am not eager for a rematch for fear of reliving that experience.

Now, paying the Colorado Buffalo's back was sweet indeed!

Archived