IGNORED

College Football 2010

beemerman2k

Oh Boy! It's that time of year again, folks! The stifling heat has pass here in New England, and soon the leaves will start turning yellow. The cool, brisk air is not far away, and you know what that means. Time for kick-off, baby :thumbsup:

It's always fun to look at the Pre-Season Rankings. It's even more fun when these rankings get shuffled, which you know they will. Already there are some early colossal clashes:

Week 1:

Is Pitt finally going to live up to the hype?

(15) Pittsburgh (0-0, Road: 0-0) 8:30 pm EDT

(18) Utah (0-0, Home: 0-0)

UConn is determined to play on New Years Day and Michigan is determined to, um, win a game this fall :cry:

Connecticut (0-0, Road: 0-0) 3:30 pm EDT

Michigan (0-0, Home: 0-0)

This should be good:

Purdue (0-0, Road: 0-0) 3:30 pm EDT

Notre Dame (0-0, Home: 0-0)

But the action doesn't really get under way until Week 2:

A noon time warm up game...

(23) Georgia (0-0, Road: 0-0) 12:00 pm EDT

South Carolina (0-0, Home: 0-0)

...now things are heating up a bit...

Florida St. (0-0, Road: 0-0) 3:30 pm EDT

Oklahoma (0-0, Home: 0-0)

...OK, I'll enjoy this one...

Michigan (0-0, Road: 0-0) 3:30 pm EDT

Notre Dame (0-0, Home: 0-0)

...typically upset territory because of in-state rivalry...

Iowa St. (0-0, Road: 0-0) 3:30 pm EDT

(7) Iowa (0-0, Home: 0-0)

...Oh a great one, baby, repeat of that National Championship game of some years ago...

(19) Miami (FL) (0-0, Road: 0-0) 3:40 pm EDT

(5) Ohio St. (0-0, Home: 0-0)

...Now this is the game of the weekend and season to this point right here:

(9) Penn St. (0-0, Road: 0-0) 7:00 pm EDT

(1) Alabama (0-0, Home: 0-0)

Clearly we won't have to wait long for some great, colossal contests. It's always fun to see the top teams drop like flies. You know some of them will, the only question is which ones and when?

All the action gets underway 2 weeks from today!

I LOVE THIS GAME, BABY :grin:

USC at #14 on the AP list? :eek: New coach, loss of scholarships, 2 year ban on bowl games, some of their better players leaving for better opportunities. They will be lucky to be 50%.

JohnnyJ

ericfoerster

College ball is going to be good this year but High School ball rules here in Tejas. I am looking for Abilene High to make another run at the State Title. Here are two of the returning starters to AHS.

My kid played for these guys and I can’t begin to tell you the work ethic these young men carry with them. Summers are spent doing productive things in the community and working out.

Some pretty impressive numbers from these two:

Herschel Sims

Ronnell Sims

They have taken out Southlake and Katy…in Texas that’s saying something.

Coach Warren is at the helm. My son said his pre-game and half-time speeches left him shaking and in tears:

Last season I drove almost 5 thousand miles following the team from Houston. I will begin this season next Friday night in San Antonio, Texas.

Football season ROCKS!

GO WARBIRDS!

15-0 STATE CHAMPS

ericforester captures the very essence of how it feels to be in love with this game. That's great, man -- your son is living the dream!

USC at #14 on the AP list? :eek: New coach, loss of scholarships, 2 year ban on bowl games, some of their better players leaving for better opportunities. They will be lucky to be 50%.

JohnnyJ

Well, SC is my favorite team west of the Mississippi. I cannot believe how far and fast they have fallen, but even when they were loaded with all that talent they always seemed to find a way to lose a game they should have won, like to Oregon State, or to UCLA, or to Stanford :dopeslap:

can't wait...booster and season ticket holder at 2 institutions of higher learning. basically at a game every weekend.

Wow, consider me envious for sure. Of course, now I'm wondering what 2 teams?

can't wait...booster and season ticket holder at 2 institutions of higher learning. basically at a game every weekend.

a florida university very close to my home and a university in north carolina which my daughter attends. the latter is rebuilding its football program. hint...it won 2 mens national championships in other sports last year.

a florida university very close to my home and a university in north carolina which my daughter attends. the latter is rebuilding its football program. hint...it won 2 mens national championships in other sports last year.

OK, the latter I am guessing is Duke University, the 2010 National Champions in mens basketball and in mens Lacrosse (thanks Google :Cool:).

The former, hmmmm, Florida Gators, maybe?

oNE wORD = "H A W K E Y E S" ...

Wasn't he one of the actors in the movie and later TV show M.A.S.H?

UCF... link ...barely an hour away. no ties other than loving college sports.

Nice! Yeah, they've made quite a stir in college football over the past few years. Even I know who they are...now...

These are some games I would enjoy seeing:

09/11/10 vs. North Carolina State Orlando, Fla. 7:30 p.m. ET

10/30/10 vs. East Carolina * Orlando, Fla. 3:30 p.m. ET

11/13/10 vs. Southern Miss *

I'd love to be at some of those Duke games, too.

Sweet, enjoy this fall!

oNE wORD = "H A W K E Y E S" ...

Wasn't he one of the actors in the movie and later TV show M.A.S.H?

Iowa is one of the Big 10 schools wearing a giant target on their backs (OSU, Penn State, Wisconsin being the other 3). Everyone is aiming to beat the Hawkeyes now that they are among the top ranked nationally, and especially in the Big 10. Even Iowa State will hit 'em with all they have!

Okay, now that I got my Hawkeye joke in (can't help tweaking Mister Hanna's nose about that) I'd like to chime in with my .02 worth.

I'm fortunate to live near the United States Air Force Academy and regularly attend games. To me, there' nothing like the spectacle of college football and it's hard to beat the AFA's Cadet Wing march onto the playing field, the parachute team bringing in the American flag and team football, and then the fly bys of various jets. We're sometimes treated with fly bys of WWII vintage aircraft.

I respect the program and take pride in knowing these young men play for the love of the game. They know they won't have a chance at playing professional football and they know they have to keep their grades up or lose the privilege to play. They give it their all from start to finish and the football program has produced many war hero's.

My other favorite team is Penn State. I've been an admirer of Joe Paterno since I was a young teen and I marvel at his drive and energy. Every once in a while I'll pull out an old VHS tape of Penn State's national championship game against Miami. That pretty much gets me ramped up and ready for another fall season of this country's favorite sport (sorry, baseball fans).

Anyway, I wasn't pleased to see PSU go to the Big Ten as I figured they'd get lost in a conference that's more about Michigan-Ohio State than the other teams. Based on what's happened since then I think my concerns have come true. :(

Looking forward, again.

Let me the the first, the National Champion will not be from the SEC this year.

They've had a great run and set the standard for success, but, not this year.

The winner will be...

Looking forward, again.

Let me the the first, the National Champion will not be from the SEC this year.

They've had a great run and set the standard for success, but, not this year.

The winner will be...

come on timmy the greek, make the prediction. :wave:

I love Florida football

One daughter at Florida....Go Gators

One daughter at UCF....Go Knights

Sleeper team this year....Florida State

Don't forget the 'Canes and Bulls.

FSU has a lot of expectations, but another difficult schedule.

WE'll see.

WE'll see.

bulls-not this year. they're at florida early.

canes-can't stand them. noles will be interesting this year.

WE'll see.

Have the Disney folks got the Anamatronic Bowden ready on the sidelines to battle the Paternobot?

I think the SEC has as good or better a chance to take it all as anyone.

'Bama is at home against both Penn State and Florida. I expect them to resume the roll they started last year; they'll be the National Champions again. That's the prediction of this, "Jimmy the Greek" :grin:

Michigan will continue to embarrass themselves (and their fan base) in their opener against UConn, and that will spell the end of the Rich Rodriguez era :clap:

Bama... be the National Champions again

Sorry can't see it....The odds of this happening would make the Vegas book makers pucker.....That would mean that Bama would possibly have to beat Florida twice...during the regular season and possibly for the SEC championship....Ask FSU fans how hard it is to beat Florida twice...

and if Bama or Florida could possibly run the table again this year...that would be a BCS nightmare....WHO COULD STAND UP TO THEM in a national champiomship game?

As usual, I'm pretty excited about college football. The game circled in RED on my calandar is Oct. 16th. Texas is coming to Lincoln in a rematch of last year's Big 12 championship. This will be our last meeting as members of the Big 12 and my Huskers have some bad memories to work out. I hate to put too much into one game, but this one is going to be HUGE. In my dream season we'll beat Texas in October, and then defeat Oklahoma in an epic battle for the final Big 12 championship.

This season will be particularly exciting for the Huskers as we do our farewell tour of the Big 12. I'm sad to be ending these great traditional rivalries with neighbors, but excited about entering the Big 10 next season.

Bill,

After last year's horrible debacles by the SEC crews at some games, expect conference sanctioned payback this year.

Several big schools will be crying as a result.

Florida FSU have had some 2 game seasons.

Didn't we play 5 times in 3 years?

I think it was 3-1-1 FSU but that was another era.

Until there is parity in scheduling, there will be the need for a playoff system which ain't happening anytimes asoon.

If not a playoff, automatic scheudling where you have X conference games, and then matchup by last years finish position.

#1 SEC adds #1 Big 10/11/13 and # 1 PAC 10/12

#1ACC adds #1 Big 12/10 and #1 Big East

and so forth w/#'2-12.

You'd get conference, interconference, sectional, regional, and national games that may or may not vary over 2-3 years, but would over a decade.

What ever teams prevailed with this system would deserve to play for the BCS title.

Sept. 11th will be an example of that type of day college football could have on half the game days.

good plan tim, but even tho o'bama fixed our healthcare system :dopeslap: , it will be more difficult to implement a playoff system of any type.

good plan tim, but even tho o'bama fixed our healthcare system :dopeslap: , it will be more difficult to implement a playoff system of any type.

Obama/O'Bama... I didn't know Barry was Irish..... :dopeslap:

No politics Brian! :rofl:

I kinda decided to look the other way on that one (and this very admission opens me up to all kinds of criticisms of playing favorites), but such statements are really not a good idea around here.

Thanks for pointing it out, Matt. This is exactly what this board needs: members who are willing to remind all of us in ever so diplomatic ways that our posts might be crossing the line of what is considered acceptable :thumbsup:

I was just making sure that he wasn't talking about the new quarterback for Notre Dame...

Let the shite fly once again...

Gee James....Florida vs Alabama...Ohio vs Michigan...Ga. vs South Carolina...Texas vs Nebraska.... Iowa vs Penn...college football, BCS, being Diplomatic.....

I thought this WAS a political thread !!!! :grin:

I thought this WAS a political thread !!!! :grin:

Bill definitely has a point, here. The only reason it's acceptable in this circumstance, strangely enough, is because all sides have broken off talks. We've had since last January, after Texas failed to neutralize Alabama's hostilities, to work out a truce. We gave peace a chance.

Florida vs Alabama...Ohio vs Michigan...Ga. vs South Carolina...Texas vs Nebraska.... Iowa vs Penn...college football, BCS, being Diplomatic.....

Yeah, war is much better :clap:

I kinda decided to look the other way on that one (and this very admission opens me up to all kinds of criticisms of playing favorites), but such statements are really not a good idea around here.

Thanks for pointing it out, Matt. This is exactly what this board needs: members who are willing to remind all of us in ever so diplomatic ways that our posts might be crossing the line of what is considered acceptable :thumbsup:

i know the rules and it was not meant as a political comment. it was intended to convey the huge odds of a playoff for bcs. sorry.

Brian, that was really my fault for trying to make a joke out of it...

Bill/James, I don't know that this is so much politics as it is religion?

Is there a difference?

Back to topic....My team's better than your team..My team's better than yours.....I hope that jingle sticks in your Alabama head for a while..... :rofl:

:lurk: Oh Danny..........

Brian, that was really my fault for trying to make a joke out of it...

No, it was not your fault, Matt, and if I thought there was any ill will intended, I would have openly called attention to it. I took it as the joke that was intended. The problem is what initially begins as a joke (with the intentional misspelling of the President's name), someone else keys in on to make a counter joke (also rich with meaning), then that follows with...next thing you know things have gotten out of hand. I know I am being terribly hypersensitive here, but if you knew what I know, you might be, too.

I find it easier sometimes to just throw the penalty flag, then pick it up and announce, "there was no flag on the play" :grin: than to break up a fight later on.

My LSU seasons tickets arrived today! Geaux Tigers! But now that I have a son at Georgia Southern University - it's ... Geaux Tigers! Hey I am die hard enough to have a themed game room all purple and gold!

I think we struggle to a decent season. May lose to UNC in the kick-off classic but break Bama's streak in BTR. Put me on record.

I look forward to Bama @ LSU. That should be another great game.

I just wish Michigan could lure LSU's head coach back home :cry:

I look forward to Bama @ LSU. That should be another great game.

You'll get Lane Kiffin after he gets sacked by USC.

And like it

LSU vs. Alabama......Geaux Tigers...Although they are going to be tough to beat this year, I would love to see Alabama with at least two loses. (The other lose to the Gators)

I wouldn't waste a wish on that. I think Les Miles is overrated. Seems like he made a few bad coaching moves last year. Of course, I'm biased but I think a good part of their national championship should be credited to Bo Pelini's defense that year. He built his teams using the program's credibility that was gained under Saban, won with Bo's defense, but is starting to lose it on his own.

:wave: Smack talk initiated...

And his offensive coordinator is also a head coach too.

Go Jimbo.

Starting to look at this year's schedules.

Somebody has an inside track to an unbeaten season...

Archived