IGNORED

2023 Fall Appalachian Riding Tour (FART) - Sparta, NC Sept 20-24th

Indy Dave

10 hours ago, CowboyJim said:

I will join you'll Thursday through Saturday.  Anyone what "NS" means for my room reservation (NS Single Queen/Microwave/Mini Refrigerator)?

Wow ... great to have you along Jim! 

Pretty sure NS means "No Sweat" i.e. it has air conditioning :3:

• Haha 1
11 hours ago, CowboyJim said:

I will join you'll Thursday through Saturday.  Anyone what "NS" means for my room reservation (NS Single Queen/Microwave/Mini Refrigerator)?

Non smoking

13 hours ago, CowboyJim said:

Guessing non smoking. 

John Ranalletta
15 hours ago, CowboyJim said:

No snoring.  Hotel's walls are very thin.

• Smile 1
Just now, John Ranalletta said:

No snoring.  Hotel's walls are very thin.

LOL ... then pretty sure we need to find a different hotel with this group of nighttime noise makers! 

7 hours ago, RTinNC said:

LOL ... then pretty sure we need to find a different hotel with this group of nighttime noise makers! 

Actually we are looking for a corporate ear plug sponsor for this event. If anyone has any connections with the ear plug industry, we would all appreciate them reaching out and shake them a little bit. :4617:

• Thanks 1
On 9/6/2023 at 10:00 PM, CowboyJim said:

Jim -So please to have you! Rest assured you're added to the list of esteemed (and otherwise) attendees. Keep an eye out for the Group Dinner info I hope to post in the morning. 

In regards to the term "NS" - It may be hotel code for " NOT START" :5146:   cuz we all know this is FART! :beer:  

• Smile 1
26 minutes ago, Indy Dave said:

Jim -So please to have you! Rest assured you're added to the list of esteemed (and otherwise) attendees. Keep an eye out for the Group Dinner info I hope to post in the morning. 

In regards to the term "NS" - It may be hotel code for " NOT START" :5146:   cuz we all know this is FART! :beer:  

And please let it be noted that Jim is one of the "Charlotte Crew" which seems to be a somewhat shrinking group. 

• Like 2
Motorhead1977

ONE ROOM JUST CAME AVAILABLE AT THE ALLEGHENY INN - WAS RESERVED FOR 9/18 THROUGH 9/24. My buddy Matt V had to cancel. Verizon didn't give him the requested time off.

• Sad 3

Looking forward to seeing you all again. I'll be bringing the RV again, towing the RnineT, and I'll be staying at the New River Campground in Independence, VA, which is pretty close to the main hotel. I'm arriving Wednesday, late afternoon, and will make my way to the hotel later Wed and will be there for the start of every day. I was going to be riding with Mark Davis, but he's unable to make it at the last minute, so I'll be tagging along with someone who doesn't mind. My cell is 615-714-1020 if anyone needs me.

• Like 2
31 minutes ago, TSConver said:

Did I see mention of a group gong to the DDay memorial one day?  If so I am possibly interested in joining.

We are talking about going on Wednesday 

John Ranalletta
3 minutes ago, Matts_12GS said:

We are talking about going on Wednesday 

We were looking forward to visit that as well.  It's a long day.  We anticipated taking @Bernie's 8 NE Loop RockyMnt (143 miles) route up and slabbing it back on I81 - same mileage, less time.

8 minutes ago, John Ranalletta said:

We were looking forward to visit that as well.  It's a long day.  We anticipated taking @Bernie's 8 NE Loop RockyMnt (143 miles) route up and slabbing it back on I81 - same mileage, less time.

Well, John you could still join us, even if you and your bride join us in with the SUV. I am sure you could have a some fun driven my routes with the SUV.

John Ranalletta
2 minutes ago, Bernie said:

Well, John you could still join us, even if you and your bride join us in with the SUV. I am sure you could have a some fun driven my routes with the SUV.

Thanks, Bernie. It'd be more fun in 335; alas, I'll be trying to get the RT back on the road.  ABS due here Saturday.  Hopefully installed and ready for dealer programming on Tuesday.

It's a looooooong shot, but if all the pieces fall into place, we could make FART but I wouldn't bet on it.

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, John Ranalletta said:

I-81 is a terrible speed trap. We are looking at the 48 mile run to Floyd and from there is only about 50 miles to the museum 

18 minutes ago, Matts_12GS said:

I-81 is a terrible speed trap. We are looking at the 48 mile run to Floyd and from there is only about 50 miles to the museum 

81 is not so much a speed trap but is awful with trucks !!   If you get on it early it's not too bad but the return in the PM would be hell.   The trip from Floyd up to Bedford is a nice ride.  You can take 221 that is a pretty nice trip and the serpentine section just south of Roanoke is a lot of fun!  And the alternate route is even nicer on more secondary roads.  https://goo.gl/maps/K82qPHCCDzkr8JBBA

Looks like about 70 miles from Floyd but as someone noted it is a full day especially if you spend time at the memorial.  But if you do go the Town Kitchen in Bedford has great sandwiches !!   https://www.facebook.com/Townkitchenbedford

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, RTinNC said:

81 is not so much a speed trap but is awful with trucks !!   If you get on it early it's not too bad but the return in the PM would be hell.   The trip from Floyd up to Bedford is a nice ride.  You can take 221 that is a pretty nice trip and the serpentine section just south of Roanoke is a lot of fun!  And the alternate route is even nicer on more secondary roads.  https://goo.gl/maps/K82qPHCCDzkr8JBBA

Looks like about 70 miles from Floyd but as someone noted it is a full day especially if you spend time at the memorial.  But if you do go the Town Kitchen in Bedford has great sandwiches !!   https://www.facebook.com/Townkitchenbedford

Thanks Ed!

I'll add those to my list for the ride. 

As for the speed trap... I had a brief "conversation" with a county mounty in Wytheville back in 2009, it's known colloquially as the "Surly Sherriff Story."

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Chef Paul said:

For those of you thinking about going to the D-Day Memorial. Has anyone else noticed the Combo Ticket with Poplar Forest?  Looks interesting as well, at least for anyone interested in the architecture of Thomas Jefferson.

https://www.poplarforest.org/visit/

The whole D-Day memorial / Bedford Story is pretty interesting and why the Memorial is in Bedford VA 

Among the hundreds of thousands massed off the shores of Normandy on the morning of 6 June 1944 were 44 soldiers, sailors, and airmen from the town and county of Bedford, Virginia. Thirty-seven of these young men belonged to Company A of the 116th Infantry Regiment, 29th Division. For almost all of them, this would be their baptism of fire. Of the 37 assigned to Company A, 31 loaded into landing craft and headed for Omaha Beach in the first wave; the remainder belonged to supply details and would arrive later. En route, a landing craft struck an obstacle and sank, stranding dozens far from shore, including five of Bedford’s own. The remaining 26 successfully reached Omaha Beach, where 16 were killed and four wounded within a matter of minutes. Three others were unaccounted for and later presumed killed in action. Another Bedford soldier was killed in action elsewhere on Omaha Beach with Company F, bringing Bedford’s D-Day fatalities to a total of 20. In comparison with its wartime population, Bedford suffered the Nation’s highest known per capita D-Day loss, a somber distinction for the rural Virginia community.

I visited the memorial back in 2002 when it first opened. I am looking forward to seeing it again. The book, "The Boys from Bedford" is heart wrenching. 

PSA:  Deadline for the meal is Monday, 18th (in case you do not want to click Indy Dave's Linky.

(just tryin to help)

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, wbw6cos said:

PSA:  Deadline for the meal is Monday, 18th (in case you do not want to click Indy Dave's Linky.

(just tryin to help)

Thanks. I'm trying trying trying to leave Dodge on Friday.. :shake:

So.... If that happens, I got that going for me, which is nice...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

LAST CALL FOR ROOMS - 

John and Ruth's double queen is avail on the conference room side and there are two rooms with a single queen bed available (one ground floor) - all available for 4 nights.

• Like 1

ADMINISTRIVIA (BRIEF - MORE TO COME:ohboy:)

We have a couple of new twists for FART - this one I want you to be aware of so you can include it in your travel plans if you like.

We will have a separate raffle for the best prizes (trust me on this) ONLY for people who upload at least  (or more) 3 different photos from their "Sparta Experience". We only ask that you put minimal thought into you photos. People, the ride, scenery, etc. If you need ideas, check out the other ART events in the Photo Gallery area of the board.

PS: Did you notice that's our very own @wbw6cos featured in the gallery? 

Here's where to post your photos  

• Like 2

Good day fellow "FARTers"  :classic_rolleyes:  Barb and I took a drive up to The Bluffs on the Parkway today for lunch.  They are still having a tough year so once again I encourage folks to stop in for lunch if on your routes.  They now have outdoor dining at picnic tables with umbrellas with table service.  A very nice addition.  

Also,  Wanted to share 1) anyone planning on using I-77 north to Sparta (assume more guys riding will skip the interstate but through some trailering or pulling RV's might use I-77)  there is construction and we saw a TEN MILE backup starting at exit 73 (Highway 421)  and continuing all the way up to the highway 21 exit for Sparta.  It was bumper to bumper and stop and go ... mostly stop.   Just a heads up to check that next week as you travel north as it did not appear to be a short term item.  and 2) if anyone in interested there is a gas station 4.9 miles south of the Alleghany Inn on Rt.21 that has non-ethanol 90 gas.  The Glade Valley Market on the west side of 21. 

https://goo.gl/maps/M2SPztcTUBoeNud26

ScreenShot2023-09-14at6_04_01PM.thumb.png.1abe22f5edd5e9f0b2689b8a473e9710.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1