IGNORED

2023 Fall Appalachian Riding Tour (FART) - Sparta, NC Sept 20-24th

Indy Dave

Motorhead1977
4 hours ago, Bernie said:

William look at the page count, we need more active information. Routes are ready, but I need some coffee first. And maybe some tires. :5146:

So Bernie, does that mean you'll post the routes up after you get tired? :classic_laugh:

• Haha 1

Well, I have a while longer to ride to get my tire to look like the sample from @Boxflyer.

Thank you @MikeB60for the offer, but I also have to change the brake discs and pads.

I did change the shocks, the driveshaft and did a 12K service.

The routes are ready, just waiting for the scouting teams to return. They have been missing for a while, but I am hoping for the best.:90::4607:

9F064121-9441-494E-9274-58C9B489B54D_4_5005_c.jpeg.55b7738de1e2ec249698ff2ba2f1ee31.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Smile 1
  • Haha 2

Announcement for First Timer Attendees to ‘ART Events.

I, with the help of the BBR team, will be leading a ride for “First Timers” on Thursday morning. Rain or Shine. This ride is for anyone that would like to ride with a small group, but doesn’t know anyone yet. The idea for this ride is for first time attendees, that don't have any ride partners or know anyone they can to ride with, to break the ice and get to know some of the members. Couples riding two-up or on separate bikes are welcome, of course.

I did this at the last event at Sparta and also at Ellijay.

I will need a head count, so don’t be shy. Just reply to this post or send me a PM.

This group ride will be on paved country roads with stops. I/we will be having a rider meeting on Wednesday evening at the motel in Sparta, location to be announced.

It will be an all day ride, destination will be announced on Wednesday evening. Also if there is a large turnout for this, we will split into several groups. These groups may end up riding different routes. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Anyone looking for a lunch stop / ride destination when attending FART .... The Bluffs Restaurant and Gift Shop would really appreciate the business! 
I am sharing the attached about The Bluffs Restaurant and Gift Shop on the Blue Ridge Parkway as they are really having a tough year. The BRP Closure has greatly impacted their business for the 2023 season and they greatly need your help! If you ride on 2-wheels or 4-wheels I strongly encourage you to stop in at The Bluffs at Doughton Park and have lunch (breakfast on Sat and Sun) or grab a gift.

They are located at Mile Marker 240 on the Blue Ridge and you need to approach from the south. Easiest way if off of Route 18 at mile marker 248 and then head north for 8 miles.
The bluffs is truly an iconic historic stop long the Parkway and one of the very few dining option actually ON the Blue Ridge Parkway! They are having a really tough year and after the long restoration and reopening in 2021 it would be a true shame to lose this iconic stop on Americas favorite road!
Note as a result of the business impact the BRP closure has had they have new reduced hours of operation ....
Mon and Tue ....... closed
Wed and Thur ..... noon to 4 PM
Friday ......... noon to 7PM

IMG_9953.thumb.jpg.b6bc43a5bace10f563f2fa80946a44a0.jpgIMG_9954.thumb.JPG.d734583d8663f7595bf01e1d543c36a2.JPGIMG_9956.thumb.JPG.f5db0baeb624717d9208b3fa52a681ef.JPG

• Like 4
  • Plus 1 1
1 hour ago, Chef Paul said:

I will be attending as a first timer.

Arriving Wednesday afternoon.

Paul is a friend of mine and lives close.

We have been maintaining his bike together, and he's an avid long distance rider...and since he rides a GS, he's competent off road as well.

Now TEWKS and Paul can speak in "tongues" (Bostonian) to each other and the rest of us won't understand them!

Welcome Paul...!

Brad

• Like 3
  • Smile 1
2 hours ago, Chef Paul said:

Join me/us for the ride on Thursday, unless you already have some plans. Looking forward to meet you.

• Like 1

Thank's Bernie; Sounds like fun to me. I would like to join your first timers ride!

Will there be .gpx file(s) available beforehand?

5 minutes ago, Chef Paul said:

Thank's Bernie; Sounds like fun to me. I would like to join your first timers ride!

Will there be .gpx file(s) available beforehand?

Yes there will be GPX files for the routes. We publish them about 4 weeks before the event. I been editing some of them, since somebody decided to close a section of the BRP and rebuild some delimitated bridge. Also they are playing with the pavement in some sections. So I have been removing the BRP from the routes, to avoid everyone having to sit in traffic and waiting for a pilot car. If you go fast enough, you don't need any scenery to look at anyway.:3:

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Chef Paul said:

I rode with Bernie in Sparta a couple of years ago.  You'll enjoy the route and Bernie doesn't go at a pace that you can't maintain eyesight of him:grin:

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, Motorhead1977 said:

Only 32 days until the official start of FART! Woot woot. :clap::18:

Uh I think you miss counted.  I count 6 weeks and 2 days.  Or 44 days. :27:

Motorhead1977
20 minutes ago, TSConver said:

Uh I think you miss counted.  I count 6 weeks and 2 days.  Or 44 days. :27:

Yeppers, must have tapped on a wrong date in my counts the days program. As my kids used to say all those years ago, My Bad!  Now I'm disappointed :facepalm:

• Haha 1
8 hours ago, Bernie said:

Join me/us for the ride on Thursday, unless you already have some plans. Looking forward to meet you.

What if we are "semi-newcomer" :3:

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Bernie said:

Bernie,  I would like to join this ride.  I have been to one START ride about a year and half ago but no FART rides.  Am I considered a newbie?  Thanks Charles

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, VaR1200RT said:

Bernie,  I would like to join this ride.  I have been to one START ride about a year and half ago but no FART rides.  Am I considered a newbie?  Thanks Charles

No problem, I can add you to the list.

Bill Murray
On 8/5/2023 at 3:56 PM, Bernie said:

Routes are ready, but I need some coffee first. And maybe some tires. 

Bernie, you know what they say. Without a picture, it didn't happen. Without posted routes, the routes do not exist.:classic_rolleyes:

P.S. My baby is getting new shoes (tires) on Friday...

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, Bill Murray said:

Bernie, you know what they say. Without a picture, it didn't happen. Without posted routes, the routes do not exist.:classic_rolleyes:

P.S. My baby is getting new shoes (tires) on Friday...

Nice try Bill, trying to bait me into posting a picture of the routes!

Well, this road in the picture is not part of the routes.

9F064121-9441-494E-9274-58C9B489B54D_4_5005_c.jpeg.2b2cd1f6157a8810a0d92afed90127c8.jpeg 

• Like 1
  • Smile 2
  • Haha 2

I also removed the route that @MikeB60, @wbw6cos, @JSCOTT and I rode at the last Sparta event. It led us through an active coal mine in VA during a rain shower. It really messed up the bikes. The lens covers on @MikeB60K1600GT were blacked out after that ride. :4607:

I just hope the replacement route doesn’t lead through a different mine. 🤪

• Smile 1
15 minutes ago, Bernie said:

I also removed the route that @MikeB60, @wbw6cos, @JSCOTT and I rode at the last Sparta event. It led us through an active coal mine in VA during a rain shower. It really messed up the bikes. The lens covers on @MikeB60K1600GT were blacked out after that ride. :4607:

Was there not a bike wash stop provided ?   

• Like 1
Bill Murray

@Bernie, I have a suggestion. If you know the specific section of the Parkway that is closed, it might be worth including a Track/Route of the closed section in the GPS files collection (obviously named to identify/avoid it). That way, folks who may decide to plan their own routes will know the portion of the Parkway to avoid.

15 minutes ago, Bernie said:

That was fun, except when the 1600 slid on to the shoulder and William and Joe had to push me back on the road!

• Haha 1
  • Thinking 1
3 minutes ago, RTinNC said:

Couldn't find one adjacent to a coffee shop!

• Like 2
  • Smile 1
  • Haha 1
6 minutes ago, Bill Murray said:

@Bernie, I have a suggestion. If you know the specific section of the Parkway that is closed, it might be worth including a Track/Route of the closed section in the GPS files collection (obviously named to identify/avoid it). That way, folks who may decide to plan their own routes will know the portion of the Parkway to avoid.

Great suggestion ....  here is what I found online ... 

ScreenShot2023-08-08at12_10_23PM.thumb.png.b0dcf5c7ec4022f19f1d6fce438c110a.png

• Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, Bill Murray said:

Basically the BRP is closed or one lane between Linville Falls and  almost the VA border. If I include a track, folks will try to ride it. If I understand it correctly, it should be posted at the entrances. I have 3 routes that use short sections of the BRP, but I tried to exclude the sections with one lane only traffic, because no one wants to sit around waiting for a pilot car. Next year again. 

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, RTinNC said:

The motel in Sparta has a pressure washer we were allowed to use. 

6 minutes ago, RTinNC said:

Great suggestion ....  here is what I found online ... 

ScreenShot2023-08-08at12_10_23PM.thumb.png.b0dcf5c7ec4022f19f1d6fce438c110a.png

Thank you for posting it. I am avoiding those two sections by reworking the routes. My computer is working overtime. But the rewards are unlimited. 😂

1 minute ago, Bernie said:

The motel in Sparta has a pressure washer we were allowed to use. 

And THAT is why we love the Allegheny Inn !! 

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, Bernie said:

Then, there is that ditch episode.   :jaw:

• Haha 1
33 minutes ago, wbw6cos said:

Then, there is that ditch episode.   :jaw:

Psssh! You are scaring the Newbies. What happens in West Virginia, stays in West Virginia. :4617:

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, Brad Snodgrass said:

The rooms are booked up. Is there another hotel or camping nearby?

Welcome to the forum.  I think you will have to look at one of the surrounding towns or watch this thread, there is almost always someone who cancels and offers up a room as it approaches.

46 minutes ago, Brad Snodgrass said:

Hope you can make it Brad…I’m looking forward to working on your bike!

Brad

2 hours ago, Brad Snodgrass said:

Brad ... what was noted about watching this thread is 100% accurate.  There are always cancellations and folks usually post here before they cancel.  That being said a buddy had booked a room last year for just Saturday night but when he arrived they did not have his reservation.  They pointed him to the High Meadows Inn which is 10 miles south right on Rt.21.   He and his wife were very please with the accommodations there and I believe the rate was comparable.   But DO watch here for cancellations. 

http://highmeadowsinnnc.com/

• Like 1

New guy here! Just booked a "NC" (not sure what that means) Single itty-bitty bed but its got one of them fancy dancy mic-row-avs in it that my tent didn't come with! I'm super dooper excited! There were still a hand full of rooms remaining with the majority being double bed rooms. They did infact have one king bed room available as of tonight, 8/08/23. I booked for 3 nights. Over the moon BoxFlyer is scheduled to make his appearance! Does he sign autographs? I bet he just signs them as "Legend" hahaha! 

Safe travels in your journey gentleman... and as always, hope ya get laid tonight! 

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, BruinsFan said:

…,,,,,,,,,,Over the moon BoxFlyer is scheduled to make his appearance! Does he sign autographs? I bet he just signs them as "Legend" hahaha! 

Safe travels in your journey gentleman... and as always, hope ya get laid tonight! 

If you’re lucky you may get one of his Moon Pies 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, 9Mary7 said:

I believe I saw the photos.......:thumbsup:

I don’t think you have seen those pictures. As I said WV is a little different, we didn’t stop long enough for pictures.

But maybe @wbw6cos will tell the story around the fire pit or the space heater.

That incident is why you should find someone to ride with, the routes go into strange little areas with tiny roads and little traffic. And some times, the locals can be a little different, lets just say.:3:

Edited by Bernie
spelling
  • Like 1
26 minutes ago, Bernie said:

I don’t think you have seen those pictures. As I said WV is a little different, we didn’t stop long enough for pictures.

But maybe @wbw6cos will tell the story around the fire pit or the space heater.

That incident is why you should find someone to ride with, the routes go into strange little areas with tiny roads and little traffic. And some times. The locals can be a different, lets say.:3:

I saw an incident during START........ no damage and no one hurt but entertaining none the less. May not be the one y'all are talking about.

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, 9Mary7 said:

I saw an incident during START........ no damage and no one hurt but entertaining none the less. May not be the one y'all are talking about.

No, the one I think William is talking about happened at the last event in Sparta. 

• Plus 1 1
19 hours ago, Brad Snodgrass said:

Mr Snodgrass, I too saw the (red) "not available" warnings on all the rooms but remembered that I had read something about that stating if I didn't type the rate code BMWST4 password, they wouldn't be shown as available. I backed up and found my mistake, then it allowed me to see the rooms were infact available. I also got a bit nervous. As of last night when I booked my room, they had one king bed room, a hand full of double bed rooms available. Might want to double check you selected the rate code bmwST4 before looking at availability. Hope this helps you out. 

3 minutes ago, BruinsFan said:

Mr Snodgrass, I too saw the (red) "not available" warnings on all the rooms but remembered that I had read something about that stating if I didn't type the rate code BMWST4 password, they wouldn't be shown as available. I backed up and found my mistake, then it allowed me to see the rooms were infact available. I also got a bit nervous. As of last night when I booked my room, they had one king bed room, a hand full of double bed rooms available. Might want to double check you selected the rate code bmwST4 before looking at availability. Hope this helps you out. 

Make sure you use all capital letters for the code BMWST4 

On 8/5/2023 at 9:09 PM, Bernie said:

Announcement for First Timer Attendees to ‘ART Events.

I, with the help of the BBR team, will be leading a ride for “First Timers” on Thursday morning. Rain or Shine. This ride is for anyone that would like to ride with a small group, but doesn’t know anyone yet. The idea for this ride is for first time attendees, that don't have any ride partners or know anyone they can to ride with, to break the ice and get to know some of the members. Couples riding two-up or on separate bikes are welcome, of course.

I did this at the last event at Sparta and also at Ellijay.

I will need a head count, so don’t be shy. Just reply to this post or send me a PM.

This group ride will be on paved country roads with stops. I/we will be having a rider meeting on Wednesday evening at the motel in Sparta, location to be announced.

It will be an all day ride, destination will be announced on Wednesday evening. Also if there is a large turnout for this, we will split into several groups. These groups may end up riding different routes. 

Mr Bernie I'd like to be added to this group of outlaws as well.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, BruinsFan said:

Mr Bernie I'd like to be added to this group of outlaws, newbies as well.

No problem. You are “added”, see you Wednesday evening.