IGNORED

2023 Fall Appalachian Riding Tour (FART) - Sparta, NC Sept 20-24th

Indy Dave

12 hours ago, terryofperry said:

Well William, wasn't planning on it but since you brought it up..."well Terry, I realized we were 50 miles west when I saw the "Welcome to Alabama" sign.

20200314_121044-01.thumb.jpeg.41302cffbd0a064f37e520d42369158e.jpeg

20200314_121043-01.thumb.jpeg.661b5a36613baedd6190af416ffa1f82.jpeg

Terry

I recognize that kind of story. That's a Bumbling BackRoad Rider story (and rider) if ever I heard one!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Returning to the puzzling game piece - it's a given that the photos relate to FART. But but... How? Admittedly, some are more obscure than others. But then again the same could be said for all of us.

I'll offer a hint of sorts. The photo of the guy on a red GS is Neil Peart. 

'Aww... Mystery solved! " one might be tempered to conclude.:read:

No Sir. There's more to it than that my friend. :16:

Most (but not all) of the images relate to at least one other image. The challenge is to figure out what images go together, and how they connect to each other and in relationship to FART.

There will be a prize for the person who's able to connect the most images and their intended relationship to FART.

teasercollageR1.jpg.5da64ef72a13520f065212054f0855c6.jpg

On 8/17/2023 at 11:36 AM, wbw6cos said:

I will have approximately 2,100 miles left on my tires when I leave for Sparta. 700 +/- miles for round trip, leaving 1,400 miles left for 3 days of Sport Touring, ART-style.  I figure cords will start showing on the ride home.  :yes:

Just like last year!

• Like 1
  • Smile 1
  • Haha 1

I have replaced my rear brake and both tires. The bike is back together and I will go for a ride tomorrow.

That is the reason that I decided to post the routes for FART 2023 Sparta, NC Routes now.

As I said I will go for a ride tomorrow morning and if you have any questions about the routes, the procedure of how to download them and anything else.

Please be patient, I will try to fix or assist or help with any difficulties, once I return to a computer and the internet.

Enjoy and have a wonderful weekend.

:bike::bike::5223:

• Like 4
  • Smile 1

Along with my tires to put on, I need to complete a 12k service at the 48k mile mark, which is about a  hunnert miles away.  I may work on that sometime in the next few weekends.  (Thanks for the reminder, Bernie.)

I have the FART routes already downloaded and sent to The Device..   Just need the ones up and back (still a work in progress)

Now to START working on Dave's puzzling photo collage.  Are we to START blurting out the associated photos in this thread or are we going to fill out paperwork at check-in? (asking for a friend)

• Like 2
BerettaRacer

WhoooHoooo !!!!

Best of both worlds problem solved!!

So, living in So Fla I don't have easy access to the mtns. Pretty much 700 mi. each way to nearest foothills N of Atlanta, before I can even start to play.

For START four months ago I trailered up to Ellijay. This time I didn't want to waste trailering the bike on all those good roads and riding between north side of Atlanta to Sparta.

Two Wheels of Suches motorcycle campground, about an hour from Ellijay, will let me park my car and trailer there for $5/day. 

So now I can trailer the 700+ mi of flatland slabside to Suches, safely and securely park the car/trailer, and ride the bike from there. Easy access to R-28, Moonshiners Highway, up to Bryson City, then onto the Parkway.

When I was southbound last Sept returning from '22 FART, there was a lot of construction around Little Switzerland, so I didn't stop or ride the area, so now maybe I can check that out for a few days too. Then just take my time and work my way up to Sparta.

Best of both worlds, I get to trailer, in comfort, with music, the 700 mi each way of flatlands and traffic, then ride the bike for days thru the mtns to Sparta and back. And peace of mind knowing the car/trailer is safe while I ride.

• Like 5

Back to the Puzzle . .  . Connecting some photos . . .

teasercollagemarkandneil.jpg.f80cd209b2adff3005357882d32c30ad.jpg

Welp - these two GS riders come from our Good Neighbors to the North - Canada

canadaflag.png.7af1e095dfcb1e33cd246f4e00788a25.png

Resized_e4a91533b804248ad6a8e51c496480d8_(1)_130184677403347.thumb.jpeg.bf7ceb7f9682f7eb89cbc175629a518e.jpeg

and @marcopolo (on the left)

Resized_20190926_122015(1).thumb.jpeg.0d31e17b9ae1209e454db271172acc85.jpeg

As you all I'm sure are aware -The Art's are Famous International Events. And these two photos not only help illustrate that, BUT... Wait.... There's MORE . . .

We also have 2 - count them TWO Canadians joining us in Sparta - so the photos

A) Represented our International Flair  . . .

yourflair.jpg.827f038143fc62602baf8b6b95718198.jpg

and

B) Accurately represented the fact that we have 2 Canadian's coming the FART this year.

C) Left unanswered is if they will be sneaking some Pure Canadian Maple Syrup with them ??

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
23 hours ago, wbw6cos said:

Along with my tires to put on, I need to complete a 12k service at the 48k mile mark, which is about a  hunnert miles away.  I may work on that sometime in the next few weekends.  (Thanks for the reminder, Bernie.)

I have the FART routes already downloaded and sent to The Device..   Just need the ones up and back (still a work in progress)

Now to START working on Dave's puzzling photo collage.  Are we to START blurting out the associated photos in this thread or are we going to fill out paperwork at check-in? (asking for a friend)

By all means, submit your theories on the board... 

Ken wins an award.  (BBR Bumbling)

One of the Canadians (eh) are on different stages.  (NAP)  also used to ride a BMW motorcyle, as in SportTouring.

Bernie is a Dunlop tire user., who also likes to ride on roads with curve signs.

You got me on the dada with the flaming horse head.   Guessing Bernie's granddaughter is into equestrian and she requires riding gear?

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, wbw6cos said:

Ken wins an award.  (BBR Bumbling)

One of the Canadians (eh) are on Different Stages.  (Neil Peart)  also used to ride a BMW motorcyle, as in SportTouring.

Bernie is a Dunlop tire user., who also likes to ride on roads with curve signs.

You got me on the dada with the flaming horse head.   Guessing Bernie's granddaughter is into equestrian and she requires riding gear?

OK - you may have missed it - I already connected the dots with Mark and Neil. They're done. Toast. BMW_Ken is simply obfuscation - but he has won many awards!

I like the way you think - and those are connections, and good ones. 

The photos relate to FART in some way. . . . . Peart and Marcoplo (and Ken) and spoken for.

About Dada - they're an excellent So Cal band. Have an album called Puzzle.  Hmm I wonder if Puzzle has been used in this thread?? If so, where. Is there an connection?

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, DoreenM said:

Thanks Bernie for the routes.  Will there be any gravel for GS riders?

I am sorry, but I am not qualified to make off-road routes. The last one I made for the last event at Sparta was too dangerous for solo GS riders. I was told that it would have been better for small displacement bikes with very experienced Off-Road riders.

I can’t take any chances. There are plenty of Un-paved roads in the general area of Sparta.

26 minutes ago, Matts_12GS said:

Please add TangoWright.  He's coming in with me on Tuesday 

Will he join us for the Thursday First Timer ride? He would be welcome to come along.

8 hours ago, Matts_12GS said:

Please add TangoWright.  He's coming in with me on Tuesday 

Is TangoWright the same guy from earlier, or a new addition - just so I have it straight?

2023FARTSpartaWhosgoingP1Aug19.jpg.5ed5c0473207f4b70400eb8548a22499.jpg.89924cfed3711534bced73e105ca80a4.jpg

Same friend from a few years ago who joined us. Same one I mentioned before, I didn't remember that I had mentioned him. 

• Like 1
On 8/16/2023 at 7:01 PM, Indy Dave said:

There's a puzzle in my head
I'll spend a lifetime finding pieces
It'll take forever to put together
The square and the round
Something to prove I'm not hangin' around
Hangin' around

And now a puzzle for you . . . .

Connecting some more dots.....

The Dada album cover - from their debut album "Puzzle'.  You can see where this is going.....   And the puzzling lyrics I posted were from the Dada song Puzzle......

And thus the album cover...

teasercollagemarkandneil.jpg.f80cd209b2adff3005357882d32c30ad3.jpg.23c18bbce01de76bc6b97db241bd0691.jpg

Now about that Bernie Fellow..... 

So Saturday my bike had it's first issue.  I was riding and went to pass a vehicle and my throttle pinned to full on.  luckily I was able to handle the situation and came to a safe stop.  A friend drove me home and I got my truck and trailer and picked the bike up.  bike is at the shop, they are 7-10 days out, so I should be good, just depends on what the issue is, and are the necessary parts on back order.  there was a recall for 2021 model bikes, but I have a 2019.  We will see.

• Thinking 2
  • Sad 1

Wow!! That could have been real ugly!! A lot of ways that could have gone wrong!

Man, Randy - coming through something like that unscathed - we call that 'Clean Living'!

Glad you're ok, see you soon!

4 hours ago, Indy Dave said:

Wow!! That could have been real ugly!! A lot of ways that could have gone wrong!

Man, Randy - coming through something like that unscathed - we call that 'Clean Living'!

Glad you're ok, see you soon!

+1 what he said !!   Good lord that would get your attention.   My riding buddy Don had just the opposite issue on his '18 RT .... riding along and all of a sudden no throttle ... nada  ... zip.    Both are pretty scary.   Hoping it gets resolved and ready in time for FART. 

6 hours ago, randy said:

So Saturday my bike had it's first issue.  I was riding and went to pass a vehicle and my throttle pinned to full on.  luckily I was able to handle the situation and came to a safe stop.  A friend drove me home and I got my truck and trailer and picked the bike up.  bike is at the shop, they are 7-10 days out, so I should be good, just depends on what the issue is, and are the necessary parts on back order.  there was a recall for 2021 model bikes, but I have a 2019.  We will see.

Since I have a ‘15 FJ09 I am keenly interested in the cause. These things accelerate pretty briskly at full throttle!  I assume the kill switch brought back sanity to this situation.

• Like 1

Returning to the Puzzling Puzzle Batman!

There are doubtless many ways one could associate Bernie to many of these photos and The Art's!

s

What few know is that Bernie has a contact at Dunlop Tires, who keeps track of Bernie's tire wear*. Bernie's friend was gracious enough to provide lots of Dunlop Swag for FARTing in Sparta!

* I think the guy was more drawn to the fact that Bernie, in his trademark Yellow Aerostich, compliments Dunlop's own Trademark Yellow logo as well.

So that's the Bernie connection I was looking for.

InkedteasercollageR1bernie.jpg.5ae8ab6c3c8d6a2e5e9c45f7f8859c36.jpg

bernieyellowtire.thumb.jpg.e5f3939bc7d0257b629c71f360bac30a.jpg

IMG_7996.jpg.be8dfa8cf24893f4470ec78748aa1b1f.jpg

IMG_7992.jpg.a3fc8ced1d2f4084de520080bf1efa3e.jpg

IMG_7994.jpg.f87941a5bc7badbe1b8629cccc6013da.jpg

IMG_7995.jpg.8df161c921683cfac70ef49eb834b7a5.jpg

THANKS BERNIE!!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
20 minutes ago, Indy Dave said:

Returning to the Puzzling Puzzle Batman!

There are doubtless many ways one could associate Bernie to many of these photos and The Art's!

s

What few know is that Bernie has a contact at Dunlop Tires, who keeps track of Bernie's tire wear*. Bernie's friend was gracious enough to provide lots of Dunlop Swag for FARTing in Sparta!

* I think the guy was more drawn to the fact that Bernie, in his trademark Yellow Aerostich, compliments Dunlop's own Trademark Yellow logo as well.

So that's the Bernie connection I was looking for.

InkedteasercollageR1bernie.jpg.5ae8ab6c3c8d6a2e5e9c45f7f8859c36.jpg

bernieyellowtire.thumb.jpg.e5f3939bc7d0257b629c71f360bac30a.jpg

IMG_7996.jpg.be8dfa8cf24893f4470ec78748aa1b1f.jpg

IMG_7992.jpg.a3fc8ced1d2f4084de520080bf1efa3e.jpg

IMG_7994.jpg.f87941a5bc7badbe1b8629cccc6013da.jpg

IMG_7995.jpg.8df161c921683cfac70ef49eb834b7a5.jpg

THANKS BERNIE!!

Yup ... another "plug" for Bernie.  He does look a bit TIREd though. 

• Haha 3

Hey Dave you forgot about the rain ponchos. Very handy if your Klim gear leaks.

Packs nice and small.

IMG_7997.thumb.jpeg.a22f02262ef69db9ad630274c33f311d.jpegIMG_8044.thumb.jpeg.597fe1f8aff9aa4fcd008ed4b79a5af8.jpeg

Just remember, beggars can’t be picky. :3:

• Like 2
BerettaRacer
2 hours ago, Indy Dave said:

What few know is that Bernie has a contact at Dunlop Tires....... Bernie's friend was gracious enough to provide lots of Dunlop Swag for FARTing in Sparta!

Just keep these numbers in mind, 190/50ZR-17, just sayin'. I have "a friend" that wears these out quite often, (ah hem) LOL

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 1
  • Smile 1
  • Thinking 1

I actually was able to get my last Dunlop RoadSmart 4 to make it past 8K miles, and the “cords” did not see the day light.

I don’t get any free tires from Dunlop. All I have is some communications with the national motorcycle sales manager.

But I do have free routes available for download to your navigation devices or you can pair up with another rider at Sparta and wear out a set of tires. Or join me/us on Thursday for the First Timer ride. No GPS required.

Free Routes to download for FART 2023, Sparta

• Like 3
  • Smile 1
On 8/22/2023 at 6:12 PM, Rockosmith said:

Since I have a ‘15 FJ09 I am keenly interested in the cause. These things accelerate pretty briskly at full throttle!  I assume the kill switch brought back sanity to this situation.

There is a known issue with the 15-17 FJ09 and the OEM dealer added heated grips.  But not relevant to my bike.  Also the 2021 GT had a throttle tube issues.

But so far nothing like this reported for my year bike

I was just speaking with a friend and I need to pull my OEM repair manual out and see if there is any maintenance due on the throttle cables or if there is a OEM replacement mileage related to the throttle cables.  

To put the final bits of the puzzle together - we have the various images:

igmagesteaserexplaination.thumb.jpg.7ab21d1760c57ea8ec74189e2e63802d.jpg

These represent (in a general way) the hallmarks of these events,  and follow a very rough (but incomplete) progression of the ART's over the years. 

The BMW Wings of course references the BMW Roundel Brand of choice and a certain swiftness familiar to riders; and for many of us,  the Winged Roundel is synonymous with Kinsley, who was a mainstay of these events and happened to know a few curvy roads here and there.

The Yellow Curvy Road sign is what brought us all to these events to begin with.

Boxflyer is, of course, a current mainstay of The Art's and Brad is now an integral part of The Art's and a valued Bumbling BackRoad Rider

And lastly, the colored toy with 3 wheel-like things. (Does anyone remember what this toy was called?) This one covers several bases, and then some. It can represent the Bumbling BackRoad Riders - with the separated wheel lost and apart from the others due to Bumbling :ohboy:; it's also a nod to the increasing number of Can Am Spyder's that grace our events nowadays. There's even more significance - but let's leave it here before I get confused again.

So the other tie in is of course these will be a part of the 20 year FART shirt!

Edited by Indy Dave
  • Like 3
15 minutes ago, Rockosmith said:

Tinker toys, if memory serves.

Thanks! And how appropriate - Tinker Toys are about my speed!!

In case anyone needs new tires for FART, I just found out that Dunlop is running a $40/set rebate through 8/31/23.  Just got mine and mounting them now!

• Like 3

I'll have my tire changer with me in the trailer as well.

As of now, I'm only changing tires for @TSConver...and I have his new tires with me to bring to the event.

Brad

• Like 1
1 hour ago, John Ranalletta said:

Life's like a roll of toilet paper.  The smaller it gets, the faster it goes.

Thanks for reminding me, Forest!

:18:

• Like 2
1 hour ago, John Ranalletta said:

Life's like a roll of toilet paper.  The smaller it gets, the faster it goes.

37 minutes ago, BamaJohn said:

Well, you guys aren't too far off. :)

I was looking for   ....got to try and fill the void...  (the 3 weeks)

The larger metaphoric themes of the smaller TP roll and slipping through your hands like water are getting at the same thing.

It's probably no surprise to any of you that I was referencing lyrics penned by Neil Peart and written in1984(if memory serves) from the Rush song "Between The Wheels"  That song also has this tasty bit . . .

You know how that rabbit feels
Going under your speeding wheels
Bright images flashing by
Like windshields towards a fly
Frozen in that fatal climb
But the wheels of time
Just pass you by

By the way, time isn't the only thing that passes me by, so does @BMW_Ken and @TN_R_Girl and @Lone_RT_rider and the list could go on and on, just like time

• Like 5
  • Thinking 1
John Ranalletta
1 hour ago, BamaJohn said:

Don't blame me.  Each week feels like 15 minutes.  

• Haha 1

I am leaving NJ on the 15th and taking the BRP once I get past Northern VA.  I will arrive in Sparta on Tuesday and leaving on Friday so I can attend a Saturday wedding.    

Aside from jumping off the BRP to find someone to stay/sleep when it's getting later in the day; does anyone have any recommendations for places?   

Thanks.

• Like 3

WOW ... lots of options for food and a few lodging.   If near Floyd VA there are 2 places to stay The Pine Tavern Lodge (my favorite but usually full as it's reasonable an very nice)  or the Floyd Hotel right in town.  Dining in Floyd you have a lot of options including the Floyd General Store or the Parkway Grille.   Before Floyd and right ON the Parkway is Peaks of Otter Lodge and I believe they have a restaurant on site (they did last time we stayed there)  The Parkway is closed for construction near Roanoke so if you have to jump off anyway I would stay in Roanoke and dine at Fortunato's or Table 50 downtown.   South of Floyd on the Parkway is Mabry Mill that has great breakfast and lunch but there may be  a wait and a bit farther south in Fancy Gap there is the Gap Deli and Lake View Restaurant.   Lot's of options and these are just the ones that initially come to mind. 

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, Motorhead1977 said:

I haven't stayed or eaten there but some long time, very good riding buddies have recommended Tuggles Gap Inn BRP mp 165 in Floyd VA.  just short jump off the parkway.

Tuggles Gap Inn was recently redone and I believe new owners.   The motel used to be a dump but it looks much nicer now as does the restaurant. 

• Like 2
On 8/30/2023 at 4:25 PM, Indy Dave said:

It's probably no surprise to any of you that I was referencing lyrics penned by Neil Peart and written in1984(if memory serves) from the Rush song "Between The Wheels"  That song also has this tasty bit . . .

IMG_9233.jpeg.5acc4918170d8cefae3070421dc2ff41.jpeg

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Like 3

@TangoWright and I are heading out early Wednesday morning on the route to Floyd.  We are going to head up from there to Bedford for a break at the DDay museum before lunch.  

If you want to join us, I'll be the cool guy on the GS next to the OLDwing.

• Smile 1