IGNORED

FART 2023 Sparta, NC Routes

Bernie

2023 FART Route Announcement

The Bumbling BackRoad Riders™ are pleased to present the routes for the

2023 Fall Appalachian Riding Tour (FART). 

We have 9 (paved) SportTouring routes. There are 5 Routes with several return route choices of different length. There are also 4 Loop Routes, 2 shorter and 2 longer once, split into 2 sections for easier GPS/APP operations. The numbers at the end of the route names are the total miles for this route.

You can choose to download the routes in one of two different options:

1) The first option is to download the single large GPX file, which contains all the routes, along with their associated Tracks, and WayPoints. 

Here is the download link for all the routes (including associated Tracks and WayPoints) in single large file: 

FART 2023 Routes Download Link

2)  The second download option is individual GPX files for each section of the Routes, including the Tracks. 

Here are the brief descriptions of each route, along with the individual, applicable download links:

1 NW Abingdon 78m A gentle ride to Abington, VA

1A NW Snake Sparta 100/179m Return route from Abington, including The Snake. The short way back.

1B NW Elk-Snake-Sparta 168/246m Return route from Abington, by ways of the Hayters Gap, including The Snake

1C NW BackDrag 172/250m Enjoy Hayters Gap and VA back roads, before returning by Back Of The Dragon to Sparta. The long way back to Sparta.

1D NW Snake-Sparta 133/211m Enjoy TN, VA, and NC back roads, incl The Snake on your return to Sparta.

2 E Mt Airy 48.5m To Mt Airy, a place with lots of choices for coffee, breakfast, or lunch. Enjoy some of NC nicest back roads.

2A E Mt.Airy Sparta 52.7/101m Go south and enjoy some country roads on the quick way back to Sparta.

2B E StoneMtn-BRP 90/139m Go south and enjoy some country roads on the way back to Sparta.

2C NE Burkes-BakDrag 235/283m NC &VA Country roads to Burkes Garden, stop there for a refreshment or continue to Tazwell for lunch, then ride The Back Of The Dragon back to Sparta. 

3 SW Spruce Pine 106m Back roads to Spruce Pine, which has a nice lower downtown with coffee shops and restaurants and a R&R station.

3A SW Sparta 103/210m Return route using Hickory Nut, Banner Elk, visit the Mast Store and ride NC88 to Sparta, NC.

3B SW Switz Roan 88 174/280m High Mountain riding to Little Switzerland, NC 80, Roan Mountain, Banner Elk, the Mast Store and NC-88 to Sparta. 

3C SW Diamond Roan Boone 184/290m High Mountain riding at its best. Little Switzerland, The Diamond Back Loop, NC 80, Roan Mountain, Banner Elk, the Mast Store and Boone to Sparta. 

4 SW Roan-Burnsville 133m Going SW using NC-88 to Roan Mountain and ending in Burnsville, NC. Nice little town with lots of choices for coffee, breakfast, BBQ, or lunch.

4A SW DblIs-80-BRP 152/285m Double Island, NC-80, Little Switzerland (coffee stop?) and sections of the BRP to return to Sparta.

4B SW 2Island 191 BRP 183/316m Double Island, NC-80, Cr-126 and NC-181(Sweeper Madness?), some BRP and Blowing Rock to Sparta.

5 S Loop 122m Short loop ride.

6 S Loop Lenoir 210m A longer loop going South going to Lenoir. 

7 NE Loop Floyd 118m Nice back roads ride to Floyd, VA.

7A NE Loop Floyd 138/256m VA back roads return to Sparta.

8 NE Loop RockyMnt 143m To Rocky Mount, VA on back roads, lots of choices for food.

8A NE Loop RockyMnt 132/275m Return to Sparta using country and back roads in VA.

9 N Paint Bank 149m Paint Bank, VA has been a favorite destination for many years for BMWST guys and gals. Good food and friendly service. And maybe even gasoline or a Bison.

9A N PaintBk Sparta 142/291m The short way back to Sparta from Paint Bank, VA

9B N PaintBk Sparta 155/304m Enjoy the beautiful valley ride in VA, stop at Flat Hollow Bridge for a picture and explore the area a little.

9C N PaintBk Sparta 221/370m Explore the area around Paint Bank, before returning to Sparta, the longer way. LOL

No matter which downloads option you choose, please note that the routes were created in Garmin BaseCamp using City Navigator North America NT 2024.10. As always, it is advisable to recalculate the routes once you’ve opened them in your software and in your GPS unit. Make sure the mileage remains close to the original distance, before loading to your GPS device, because my BaseCamp Preference settings and maps may be different from yours. You can also display the included Tracks with the matching route on your GPS, to verify the route accuracy.

Please note: After transferring the routes to your Garmin GPS unit and rebooting it, you will have the option to “Import All Routes”. You have the choice of either importing “All Routes” or you can select individual routes. IF you select “Import All Routes”, expect it to take around 35-45 minutes to complete this process and it may be advisable to supply your GPS with external power, to avoid depleting the battery. 

The GPX files can also be imported successfully into Garmin MapSource if you so desire. 

If you are using a phone app to navigate the routes, I would suggest using the above individual downloads links for the routes.

For all routes, we recommend riding with another rider, or let someone know what route you are taken. Some of the sections of the routes are in very rural areas without much traffic. A friendly hand could be good, in case of the unexpected. Also don’t forget, cell phone coverage could be spotty in the hills or valleys.

Always take along some water and snacks.

Please also use the tracks provided. “PM” Bernie for more details or questions or use the GPS-BaseCamp Guide.

Please start routes with a FULL TANK of gas and be sure to monitor your fuel needs, keeping in mind that some gas stations may no longer be in business.

Disclaimer: The attached routes and instructions are to be used at your own risk, and these instructions are simply general guidelines and may not be applicable to the user’s specific use and its incumbent upon users to do their own research to determine how to set up their units and to ensure their route and directions are suitable to their own needs. Keep in mind, things change over time - so as always - use common sense when following directions from an electronic device. 

Please feel free to post any questions you might have. 

Enjoy your ride and have a safe FART 2023!

The Bumbling BackRoad Riders™

Here is a map overview, displaying the different colored routes for FART 2023 in Sparta, NC. 

Created by Garmin BaseCamp.

FART2023SpartaNC.thumb.png.07f7231de069aa0a4e0ca27e89610c2b.png

• Like 5
John Ranalletta
19 hours ago, Bernie said:

2023 FART Route Announcement

The Bumbling BackRoad Riders™ are pleased to present the routes for the

2023 Fall Appalachian Riding Tour (FART). 

We have 9 (paved) SportTouring routes. There are 5 Routes with several return route choices of different length. There are also 4 Loop Routes, 2 shorter and 2 longer once, split into 2 sections for easier GPS/APP operations. The numbers at the end of the route names are the total miles for this route.

You can choose to download the routes in one of two different options:

1) The first option is to download the single large GPX file, which contains all the routes, along with their associated Tracks, and WayPoints. 

Here is the download link for all the routes (including associated Tracks and WayPoints) in single large file: 

FART 2023 Routes Download Link

2)  The second download option is individual GPX files for each section of the Routes, including the Tracks. 

Here are the brief descriptions of each route, along with the individual, applicable download links:

1 NW Abingdon 78m A gentle ride to Abington, VA

1A NW Snake Sparta 100/179m Return route from Abington, including The Snake. The short way back.

1B NW Elk-Snake-Sparta 168/246m Return route from Abington, by ways of the Hayters Gap, including The Snake

1C NW BackDrag 172/250m Enjoy Hayters Gap and VA back roads, before returning by Back Of The Dragon to Sparta. The long way back to Sparta.

1D NW Snake-Sparta 133/211m Enjoy TN, VA, and NC back roads, incl The Snake on your return to Sparta.

2 E Mt Airy 48.5m To Mt Airy, a place with lots of choices for coffee, breakfast, or lunch. Enjoy some of NC nicest back roads.

2A E Mt.Airy Sparta 52.7/101m Go south and enjoy some country roads on the quick way back to Sparta.

2B E StoneMtn-BRP 90/139m Go south and enjoy some country roads on the way back to Sparta.

2C NE Burkes-BakDrag 235/283m NC &VA Country roads to Burkes Garden, stop there for a refreshment or continue to Tazwell for lunch, then ride The Back Of The Dragon back to Sparta. 

3 SW Spruce Pine 106m Back roads to Spruce Pine, which has a nice lower downtown with coffee shops and restaurants and a R&R station.

3A SW Sparta 103/210m Return route using Hickory Nut, Banner Elk, visit the Mast Store and ride NC88 to Sparta, NC.

3B SW Switz Roan 88 174/280m High Mountain riding to Little Switzerland, NC 80, Roan Mountain, Banner Elk, the Mast Store and NC-88 to Sparta. 

3C SW Diamond Roan Boone 184/290m High Mountain riding at its best. Little Switzerland, The Diamond Back Loop, NC 80, Roan Mountain, Banner Elk, the Mast Store and Boone to Sparta. 

4 SW Roan-Burnsville 133m Going SW using NC-88 to Roan Mountain and ending in Burnsville, NC. Nice little town with lots of choices for coffee, breakfast, BBQ, or lunch.

4A SW DblIs-80-BRP 152/285m Double Island, NC-80, Little Switzerland (coffee stop?) and sections of the BRP to return to Sparta.

4B SW 2Island 191 BRP 183/316m Double Island, NC-80, Cr-126 and NC-181(Sweeper Madness?), some BRP and Blowing Rock to Sparta.

5 S Loop 122m Short loop ride.

6 S Loop Lenoir 210m A longer loop going South going to Lenoir. 

7 NE Loop Floyd 118m Nice back roads ride to Floyd, VA.

7A NE Loop Floyd 138/256m VA back roads return to Sparta.

8 NE Loop RockyMnt 143m To Rocky Mount, VA on back roads, lots of choices for food.

8A NE Loop RockyMnt 132/275m Return to Sparta using country and back roads in VA.

9 N Paint Bank 149m Paint Bank, VA has been a favorite destination for many years for BMWST guys and gals. Good food and friendly service. And maybe even gasoline or a Bison.

9A N PaintBk Sparta 142/291m The short way back to Sparta from Paint Bank, VA

9B N PaintBk Sparta 155/304m Enjoy the beautiful valley ride in VA, stop at Flat Hollow Bridge for a picture and explore the area a little.

9C N PaintBk Sparta 221/370m Explore the area around Paint Bank, before returning to Sparta, the longer way. LOL

No matter which downloads option you choose, please note that the routes were created in Garmin BaseCamp using City Navigator North America NT 2024.10. As always, it is advisable to recalculate the routes once you’ve opened them in your software and in your GPS unit. Make sure the mileage remains close to the original distance, before loading to your GPS device, because my BaseCamp Preference settings and maps may be different from yours. You can also display the included Tracks with the matching route on your GPS, to verify the route accuracy.

Please note: After transferring the routes to your Garmin GPS unit and rebooting it, you will have the option to “Import All Routes”. You have the choice of either importing “All Routes” or you can select individual routes. IF you select “Import All Routes”, expect it to take around 35-45 minutes to complete this process and it may be advisable to supply your GPS with external power, to avoid depleting the battery. 

The GPX files can also be imported successfully into Garmin MapSource if you so desire. 

If you are using a phone app to navigate the routes, I would suggest using the above individual downloads links for the routes.

For all routes, we recommend riding with another rider, or let someone know what route you are taken. Some of the sections of the routes are in very rural areas without much traffic. A friendly hand could be good, in case of the unexpected. Also don’t forget, cell phone coverage could be spotty in the hills or valleys.

Always take along some water and snacks.

Please also use the tracks provided. “PM” Bernie for more details or questions or use the GPS-BaseCamp Guide.

Please start routes with a FULL TANK of gas and be sure to monitor your fuel needs, keeping in mind that some gas stations may no longer be in business.

Disclaimer: The attached routes and instructions are to be used at your own risk, and these instructions are simply general guidelines and may not be applicable to the user’s specific use and its incumbent upon users to do their own research to determine how to set up their units and to ensure their route and directions are suitable to their own needs. Keep in mind, things change over time - so as always - use common sense when following directions from an electronic device. 

Please feel free to post any questions you might have. 

Enjoy your ride and have a safe FART 2023!

The Bumbling BackRoad Riders™

Here is a map overview, displaying the different colored routes for FART 2023 in Sparta, NC. 

Created by Garmin BaseCamp.

FART2023SpartaNC.thumb.png.07f7231de069aa0a4e0ca27e89610c2b.png

Loaded just great.  Thanks for your work and dedication to us, Bernie.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Indy Dave pinned and featured this topic

Looks like an absolutely amazing job you've done on all of these routes Bernie!

Thank You for all of your time and the huge effort it must have taken to put it all together.

I am looking forward to riding a lot of them!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Matt is absolutely RIGHT about this location.

@60Aviator and I visited this National Museum last time we were staying in Sparta at the 2021 FART.

Discount admission for Veterans or Active Duty.

Brad

i-HsnmfjB-L.jpg

• Like 3
  • Indy Dave unfeatured this topic
  • 2 weeks later...

Folks, I'll be coming, so thanks so much for these routes. My riding partner, Mark Davis, unexpectedly can't come, so I'll be on my own. Driving the RV and towing bike behind it. I'll be looking for any riding partners, especially if you enjoy a slightly more than relaxed pace. :)

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 1
  • Smile 1

Please let me know if you have any issues with the routes and of course we are glad you are able to join us. 

PS: I am sure you will have no problem finding a few riding partners, if yes, you are always welcome to join me one day or more. 

• Like 1

Does anyone have an easily followed instruction for moving the routes from my computer/thumb drive to my GPS/Garmin Navigator VI?  I am rather challenged when it comes to this stuff.  TIA

23 minutes ago, Motorhead1977 said:

Does anyone have an easily followed instruction for moving the routes from my computer/thumb drive to my GPS/Garmin Navigator VI?  I am rather challenged when it comes to this stuff.  TIA

NewEnglandRiders.org have a detailed PDF for free, with pictures.

This link should take you to their site and you choose if you have a windows or apple PC. 

Download GPS Files Direct to GPS

• Like 2
41 minutes ago, Bernie said:

@Motorhead1977 make sure you use Garmin Express to update your GPS to the newest maps and software.

Yeppers, done that part.  Say I'm running. City Navigator North America 2024.10  I'll work on the rest once I'm done with work.  I was here: :4617:  now I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get it done. Thanks for the help Bernie! 

• Like 4
49 minutes ago, bobkatt said:

Hey everyone, I have personal issues to attend to and will not be able to make it this year. Have fun.

Sorry to hear bobkatt. Hope everything works out and we will see you in the Spring!

On 9/10/2023 at 7:59 PM, David said:

Folks, I'll be coming, so thanks so much for these routes. My riding partner, Mark Davis, unexpectedly can't come, so I'll be on my own. Driving the RV and towing bike behind it. I'll be looking for any riding partners, especially if you enjoy a slightly more than relaxed pace. :)

well the riding part is not me :-)

But look forward to seeing you at dinner.

what RV park will you be at?

On 9/10/2023 at 7:59 PM, David said:

David, 

You're welcome to ride with me and the OldWing...  

If you have any problems getting the routes into your GPS, please let me know as soon as you can. My plan is to leave the home base early Friday morning. My resources and internet will be limited until the evening hours. Of course I can help anyone with problems, once I arrive at FART next week Wednesday.