IGNORED

2023 Fall Appalachian Riding Tour (FART) - Sparta, NC Sept 20-24th

Indy Dave

Made it back home.   Great riding at a great event, supported by a great cast and enjoyed by a great group.    Good seeing everyone and I hope to see you at START '24.  

• Like 7
  • Plus 1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Smile 1

We made it home just before 5pm! Had a nice lunch-stop at the Rusty Bike Cafe in Clayton Ga. Touron traffic was exceptionally heavy through there but at least it was (mostly) moving.. Thanks to everyone who made this event happen and looking forward to the next one!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Rolled into my driveway just before 5:00.  Left Sparta at 9:00 and made a big loop over to Blowing Rock where I met a riding buddy and his wife for lunch at Speckled Trout then more backroads home.

Can’t thank Indy Dave and his fellow BBRs for a great event.  These gatherings just get better and better.  And a huge thank you to Boxflyer for his support of our group, his rapier wit and of course his Moon Pies!

Totally enjoyed meeting old friends and new attendees. 

Have a great fall season!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We were home and dry by 430 our time......88 degrees in central time zone L.A.

Lowndes got dropped off in Atlanta at 1130 am eastern........said something about looking for a bar:dontknow:

Great event BBR's.....Thank You!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Smile 2
9 minutes ago, 9Mary7 said:

We were home and dry by 430 our time......88 degrees in central time zone L.A.

Lowndes got dropped off in Atlanta at 1130 am eastern........said something about looking for a bar:dontknow:

Great event BBR's.....Thank You!!

Great to meet you guys this weekend 

• Like 3
  • Plus 1 2
1 hour ago, Rougarou said:

You stop in Point Pleasant and didn't get a pic in front of the Mothman?

I missed that. I just crossed the bridge into Pine Pleasant to get a shot of the 'other' bridge I'd always seen but never crossed.

Interesting town I thought *before* I knew about the MothMan!

• Like 2
  • Smile 1

Made it home tonight at 8:02pm.  Long wet ride traveling with the storm.  Time for a cup of tea . Enjoyed everyday of riding and time spent with everyone.  Looking forward to next time.  Thanks to everyone who helped put together FART

• Like 10
  • Smile 1
1 hour ago, Lowndes said:

Very sorry to hear about this.  I hope it wasn't far from home.  

Only a couple hours.  It'll be ready by the time I get there 

• Like 4
2 hours ago, JSCOTT said:

Made it home tonight at 8:02pm.  Long wet ride traveling with the storm.  Time for a cup of tea . Enjoyed everyday of riding and time spent with everyone.  Looking forward to next time.  Thanks to everyone who helped put together FART

Glad you make it safe through that nasty stuff and always great seeing another "Joisey" guy !   :18:

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 1

BerettaRacer home around noon on Monday.

Left the hotel around 8AM Sunday, a nice but fairly high traffic cruise down the Parkway to Cherokee.

From there slabbed it to Suches, arrived around 5-ish.

Loaded up the trailer and hit the road right at sunset.

Crossed the Ga/Fla line at 2AM and slept a few hrs in a rest area, full tilt boogie from then on.

Thanks one and all for another good time and fun riding.

• Like 6
9 hours ago, JSCOTT said:

Great to hear you made it home ok, but what we really want to know is if you made it to the wedding and if your friend let you kiss the bride?

:4607:

• Thanks 1
  • Smile 1
  • Haha 2

Gumperson's Principle:   "The contradictory of a welcome probability will often assert itself when such an eventuality is likely to be most frustrating." (The story of my FART , but it was still worth it!!)  

SPECIAL THANKS to 9Mary7 and KaTooM for the ride back to ATL for me, the bike, and all my stuff plus!!  THE FASTEST I have EVER got ANYWHERE!!  And it was FUN.  AND, prime example of why this forum is THE BEST.

Got the CF clutch plates today.  Waiting on the special basket wrench.  

image.thumb.png.b0c4cabe2bb08a94b12581f58642c9b1.png

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, taylor1 said:

That sucks Lowndes. If you remember back a couple of years, my F.D. crapped itself at Sparta. Still had a great time.

I DO remember!!  Felt terrible about it.  Nothing anyone could do to help you.  Ruined your trip.  BUT, you made the best of it.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Lowndes said:

Gumperson's Principle:   "The contradictory of a welcome probability will often assert itself when such an eventuality is likely to be most frustrating." (The story of my FART , but it was still worth it!!)  

SPECIAL THANKS to 9Mary7 and KaTooM for the ride back to ATL for me, the bike, and all my stuff plus!!  THE FASTEST I have EVER got ANYWHERE!!  And it was FUN.  AND, prime example of why this forum is THE BEST.

Got the CF clutch plates today.  Waiting on the special basket wrench.  

image.thumb.png.b0c4cabe2bb08a94b12581f58642c9b1.png

We are starting a pool to try and guess what dilemma Lowndes will have in Newport.   Obviously the bigger odds are on another clutch issue but that would be the biggest payoff.   Lower odds on things like oil leak and tire issues.   :3:

• Haha 3
3 minutes ago, RTinNC said:

We are starting a pool to try and guess what dilemma Lowndes will have in Newport.   Obviously the bigger odds are on another clutch issue but that would be the biggest payoff.   Lower odds on things like oil leak and tire issues.   :3:

You need to have a quinella [I had to look that up!] option or something - first you have to pick WHICH bike he  rides there  gets there with. :whistle:

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
  • Haha 3

Christine and I are home safely and I would love to  thank Dave (and the others involved!) for all the legwork put in this rally, Bernie for the great rides and letting us tag along and Brad the wethead magician for making the  bike run better than it ever has! Also for the new rear skin so we could actually get  home safely on Backroads in the rainy weather! An awesome time! Thanks again 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
15 hours ago, Bernie said:

Great to hear you made it home ok, but what we really want to know is if you made it to the wedding and if your friend let you kiss the bride?

:4607:

I did not make the wedding however my other half did so the card/gift was delivered :)

• Like 3

Thanks one and all for checking back in once you made it home. If you're like me, and I know I am  :ohboy:you enjoy hearing the details (and photos) of the  trip  journey  back home.  Thank you to each and every one of you for coming - YOU really are what make this group so special. If you've been to 3 or more of these events, you know that's true and not just some sappy statement. We're family (I've finally figured out why people keep calling me Cousin Eddy).

Thanks again to Helmet Sunblocker (and Tom for arranging) for providing their products to give away, to Boxflyer; and to Bernie for making arrangements with Dunlop for the giveaway items.

The Bumbling BackRoad Riders™ take our product give-away responsibilities very seriously. If a company comes along wanting to share their products with The Arts, we feel we have the burden, responsibility and obligation to fully vet and test ANY product to ensure it meets the standards you've come to expect from us. When Omaha Steaks sent us 75 steaks, we knew we had to ensure they would be good enough for YOU. So we did.  And they were.

The same goes for Dunlop. When Dunlop sent 6 sets of tires for FART, we knew we couldn't let a relatively new and unknown tire supplier provide products unless we individually fully tested their tires. It's the burden we bear for you, dear family. I know this will bring back childhood memories, but all of the BBR's had the exact same sentiment when we put the new Dunlop Tires on our own bikes for through testing: This product research is gonna hurt US a lot more then it will hurt YOU! And (who knew?) it turns the tires performed WONDERFULLY! They were everything we hoped they would be, and they received the overwhelming endorsement of each and every one of us!

We hope you all enjoy the complimentary Dunlop Air Valve Stem Caps, Ponchos and Kickstand pucks that you received, knowing they meet our tough standards and have received the Bumbling BackRoad Riders™ seal of approval as well!

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 7

I made it home to Ottawa last evening about 6:15, after 11+ hours on the road from Front Royal.  It was overcast pretty much all day, and wet the entire time through Pennsylvania.  Other than that, day two of my ride home was uneventful (the border crossing was easy too).

• Like 9
17 hours ago, Indy Dave said:

You need to have a quinella [I had to look that up!] option or something - first you have to pick WHICH bike he  rides there  gets there with. :whistle:

I am on record
K1300S
Shift lever issue (not clutch, the foot lever)  

:-)

• Like 2
On 9/21/2023 at 8:32 PM, BamaJohn said:

You know who now…😎

What are y'all talking about?  That's CLEARLY a BMW.  It has a roundel badge and everything!

P1000312.JPG

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

On the road the story line goes like this: “yes, it’s a BMW prototype.  There are 3 of them we’re testing.”  
Thanks to all here for making fun with with me! 😎

• Like 3
6 hours ago, marcopolo said:

I made it home to Ottawa last evening about 6:15, after 11+ hours on the road from Front Royal.  It was overcast pretty much all day, and wet the entire time through Pennsylvania.  Other than that, day two of my ride home was uneventful (the border crossing was easy too).

Glad it was a safe trip Marc !!  Enjoyed chatting with you over coffee.   Look forward to START for sure!   Hope you have a mild winter with some actual riding days up North. 

• Like 1

Susan and I got home last evening. The weather was very good, we had the rain suits on some but could have got by without them. 3 days riding down, 4 days there, 3 days back. 4850 kms altogether with 4 short ferry rides. Great experience.  Cheers.

• Like 8

Home Sunday morning early after a departure shortly after Bernie.  It was wonderful to see so many friends and familiar faces, as well as to meet new attendees.  Many thanks to all of the BBRR team for an outstanding event, particularly under the trying circumstances.  Kudos again to Bernie for some wonderful routes.  I just added several photos to the event gallery.  My favorite is Shadow, the guard cat at the newly renovated Old Store in Grassy Creek, NC.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Don Garrity (of The Indy Blue Notes acapella group) noticed on Saturday that the desk clerk at the hotel was wearing a Harley T-shirt.

When Don noticed this, he knew he had to take action. Unfortunately we didn't have any additional small or medium shirts left, so Don was resigned to the reality that nothing could be done.

But wait  there's more! 

Don had mentioned his plan to the desk clerk, and she said she didn't mind a large T-shirt, and the rest, as they say, is history!

20230923_170225.thumb.jpg.77d0732bb2ae36243693c03081d12838.jpg

• Like 14
41 minutes ago, G.Nolan said:

Lowndes - I would be more than willing to loan you my Clutch Basket tool, All I need is an address to ship it to.

-George

Hey, George - TOO LATE!!  I have one on the way.  Shucks.  $56 just as you said.  I'd guess the to and from shipping cost would be the majority of the purchase price but, THANK YOU, KIND SIR, for the offer!!

I hope to get started on it this weekend.  I'll take pics of the proceedings.  

Lowndes

Exclusive video captured LIVE in Sparta, NC! WORLD PREMIER!!

(Apologies in advance)

• Like 2

Hey folks, although I canceled and was only able to join on Friday, I want say the rides and the group riders I met made for an exceptional event. Also I’d like to give a shout to the folks that donated the motored riding pants a BIG. Thank you. With minimal alteration and suspenders they fit and work great. Can’t wait for the spring ride. Thanks Shawn for guiding me through the dragon and Bernie’s rides.

it was AWESOME!

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 1
  • Thanks 1
11 hours ago, bobkatt said:

Hey folks, although I canceled and was only able to join on Friday, I want say the rides and the group riders I met made for an exceptional event. Also I’d like to give a shout to the folks that donated the motored riding pants a BIG. Thank you. With minimal alteration and suspenders they fit and work great. Can’t wait for the spring ride. Thanks Shawn for guiding me through the dragon and Bernie’s rides.

it was AWESOME!

Thanks for coming, even when you had to arrive on Friday. It can take a lot to 'break out' and meet a new group of people. At least it did for me. And once I came to my first ART, I've never missed one since. Because of the people and the riding. But it takes some initiative on your part to take to risk to come - so thanks for that. I was active on BMWST for 7 years before I attended an event, and even then it was because someone reached out and invited me. So kudos to you for coming.

We've said many times, but perhaps not with this event, people are welcome to come when it works into your schedule. That's what's nice about our sort of low key, 'you're on you own' approach to The Art's.

Looking forward to seeing you in Newport in April!

• Like 3
  • Plus 1 1