IGNORED

2023 Fall Appalachian Riding Tour (FART) - Sparta, NC Sept 20-24th

Indy Dave

Singing in my best Willie Nelson voice....."On the road again......"

BerettaRacer is leaving So Fla this AM.

Tentative schedule:

Fri tow 750 mi north across Fla and Ga., arrive Two Wheel of Suches Sat mid morning.

Sat, unload bike, short ride in the area, secure car/trailer.

Sun AM, depart Suches on bike, cruise up thru Six Gap to WarWoman Rd, pick up MoonShiner 28 into Bryson City for the night.

Mon AM, depart Bryson, pick up the BRP and cruise to Little Switzerland. Spend Tues riding that area.

Wed AM depart for Sparta.

If that matches anything you're doing feel free to give a shout.

• Like 4
45 minutes ago, BerettaRacer said:

Tentative schedule:

Fri tow 750 mi north across Fla and Ga., arrive Two Wheel of Suches Sat mid morning.

Sun AM, depart Suches on bike, cruise up thru Six Gap to WarWoman Rd, pick up MoonShiner 28 into Bryson City for the night.

Mon AM, depart Bryson, pick up the BRP and cruise to Little Switzerland. Spend Tues riding that area.

Sounds like a great trip and weather looks good!

Be safe!

15 hours ago, RTinNC said:

Good day fellow "FARTers"  :classic_rolleyes:  Barb and I took a drive up to The Bluffs on the Parkway today for lunch.  They are still having a tough year so once again I encourage folks to stop in for lunch if on your routes.  They now have outdoor dining at picnic tables with umbrellas with table service.  A very nice addition.  

Also,  Wanted to share 1) anyone planning on using I-77 north to Sparta (assume more guys riding will skip the interstate but through some trailering or pulling RV's might use I-77)  there is construction and we saw a TEN MILE backup starting at exit 73 (Highway 421)  and continuing all the way up to the highway 21 exit for Sparta.  It was bumper to bumper and stop and go ... mostly stop.   Just a heads up to check that next week as you travel north as it did not appear to be a short term item.  and 2) if anyone in interested there is a gas station 4.9 miles south of the Alleghany Inn on Rt.21 that has non-ethanol 90 gas.  The Glade Valley Market on the west side of 21. 

https://goo.gl/maps/M2SPztcTUBoeNud26

Thanks for the I-77 heads up Ed.  Heading that way from north Florida.  

5 hours ago, BerettaRacer said:

Tentative schedule:

I'll check in w/you on Monday after I unload at Suches... 

• Like 1

Sorry Dave, no findy linky for photo thread.

On other news  BerettaRacer has arrived and unloaded at Two Wheels in Suches. Light drizzle, 62 degrees. 

Plan to depart here tomorrow (Sunday) AM

20230916_123905.jpg

• Like 2
2 hours ago, BerettaRacer said:

Sorry Dave, no findy linky for photo thread.

On other news  BerettaRacer has arrived and unloaded at Two Wheels in Suches. Light drizzle, 62 degrees. 

Plan to depart here tomorrow (Sunday) AM

20230916_123905.jpg

If you're on a mobile device click on the 3 lines toward the top right of the home page, click on browse, click gallery, scroll down to BMW sport touring events and you will find FART 2023

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
22 minutes ago, MikeB60 said:

If you're on a mobile device click on the 3 lines toward the top right of the home page, click on browse, click gallery, scroll down to BMW sport touring events and you will find FART 2023

Found it and added a few pics

• Like 1
On 9/15/2023 at 9:11 AM, BerettaRacer said:

Tentative schedule:

Lowndes and I met BerettaRacer on Saturday at TWO.  Had a nice talk, eat lunch then Lowndes and I headed home.  Look forward to seeing BerettaRacer Thursday when I arrive.

Drive safe my friend

• Like 1

Hi everyone, I am sorry to say I must cancel my trip to Sparta. My plant manager went in for emergency surgery on Friday. Thank heavens he will make a full recovery but will be off for about a month.

I spoke to his wife again this morning and he is doing well.

I just canceled my hotel reservation today in case anyone can make it at the last minute, I had a room with two queen beds.

I was very much looking forward to meeting everyone, NC is one of my favorite places to ride. I wish all of you a great event.

Mike

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
39 minutes ago, Motorhead1977 said:

Arrived at the Allegheny inn about 5 PM. Very rainy drive down but made it in 11 hours driving time. See ya all when you get here.

Thank you for using up all the rain for us.  Weather for the week is now looking good !  :18:

Not sure who was in charge of ordering the weather but nice work! 

IMG_0105.thumb.PNG.fb15bb5c0712080114cee06e9cc8caa6.PNGIMG_0104.thumb.jpg.e03cf33b7cb2b5dfab559facbb924ecd.jpg

• Like 3

Arrived at Bryson City and checked into hotel after a fairly eventful day.

Noonish departure from Suches due to rain and fog. Was gingerly crossing Wolfpen Gap in the wet when came across first crash of the day. Police already onscene and got flagged thru. Appeard to be 3 bikes.

Later as roads were drying out came across second crash, one of three bikes off and over embankment, rider ok. This was just north of Helen, about a mile up from tubing center.

Pulled into Clayton for gas and lunch, gassed up, went to leave and bike died, electrical failure, like failed battery. Coasted into empty parking lot across the street from entrance to WarWoman road. 

Pulled battery cover off, pulled jumper cables from my pack. Flagged down a couple bikers for jump, thinking I could limp across the street to sleazy hotel while I source a new battery. 

Bike re-fired with jump, all warning lights went away. Did half dozen restarts in safety of hotel lot, bike acted normal.

Pulled the pin and made mad dash across WarWoman then up 28 to Bryson. 

Never shut bike off until here, but seems fine now.

7PM and never got lunch, LOL

Time for beer and food.

• Like 6
Just now, wbw6cos said:

Mark is pointing again.   :dontknow:

We had to do SEVERAL retakes to get "The Point" just right!

@Toronto99 - Very sorry you can't make it, but glad your guy will be OK. Please join us in the Spring for START - it's April 24-28, and the location will be posted in about a month.

• Like 2

We all know . . a good FART has to be fed! :old:  :eat:  :whistle:  If YOU want to have a good FART, please make sure you and yours and the others you know are on the list for Friday's group meal! Last Call - info is at the top of the FART thread and the FART Dinner Thread. Thanks . . . .Smell ya soon! :4617:

• Like 1

The "Advance TEAM" is in position at the Alleghany Inn in Sparta.

Rides are heading out shortly after a good breakfast at the restaurant adjacent to the parking lot.

image.thumb.jpeg.f7501d412c48f61b117114943696adc2.jpeg

• Like 11
4 hours ago, Boxflyer said:

The "Advance TEAM" is in position at the Alleghany Inn in Sparta.

Rides are heading out shortly after a good breakfast at the restaurant adjacent to the parking lot.

image.thumb.jpeg.f7501d412c48f61b117114943696adc2.jpeg

HA!  Looks like a slow morning at BoxFlyer Traveling Service Center.  I bet that will not be the case very soon.  Enjoy the calm.  

• Like 1

Just loaded the bike!   Will be rolling around 8:00 tomorrow and really looking forward to this trip ... especially since I had to miss the RA rally last week. 

Have a great night! 

• Like 3

bike is loaded, but will not load onto trailer until tomorrow around Noon, then drive up to Asheville, then head to Sparta Thursday morning.

See everyone Thursday Night

• Like 2

Hey, folks. I just pulled in to an RV park in Independence, VA, about 5 miles north of you. I can't get the routes to load (my fault, I'm sure), but I'll be down there by 7a. If anybody has room for someone to tag along for the day, I'd appreciate it. (Might even buy you breakfast.)

David

me@davidcbaker.com

615-714-1020

See you in the morning.

• Like 3
46 minutes ago, David said:

Hey, folks. I just pulled in to an RV park in Independence, VA, about 5 miles north of you. I can't get the routes to load (my fault, I'm sure), but I'll be down there by 7a. If anybody has room for someone to tag along for the day, I'd appreciate it. (Might even buy you breakfast.)

David

me@davidcbaker.com

615-714-1020

See you in the morning.

Look for me in the morning in the restaurant at 7 am and I will try to help you with the GPS. 

Hi All,

I've left this until the last minute in the hope that I can pull something out the bag but unfortunately I'm not going to make it to Sparta - so immensely sad and disappointed at missing this milestone 20th year gathering but my cherished and aging pup Storm comes first. Wishing you all a most wonderful weekend of fun, magnificent rides, camarraderie and, as Ken would say - cigars,  liquid sustenance and many excellent lies in the parking lot!!! My thoughts will be with you - have a magical time and please be safe. Hope to see you all in April. Post lots of photos :)

Love and hugs

Nikki 

• Like 2
  • Sad 4
41 minutes ago, Kenikki said:

Hi All,

I've left this until the last minute in the hope that I can pull something out the bag but unfortunately I'm not going to make it to Sparta - so immensely sad and disappointed at missing this milestone 20th year gathering but my cherished and aging pup Storm comes first. Wishing you all a most wonderful weekend of fun, magnificent rides, camarraderie and, as Ken would say - cigars,  liquid sustenance and many excellent lies in the parking lot!!! My thoughts will be with you - have a magical time and please be safe. Hope to see you all in April. Post lots of photos :)

Love and hugs

Nikki 

Nikki, so sorry to hear about you ailing pup but they do come first.  You will truly be missed along with your great photos!

Thoughts and prayers for you pup.  Hope we see you in the spring at START.

• Like 3

We're home as well. Drove home to upstate NY on Saturday. It was a repeat of the trip down, rain and heavy rain for over 450 miles. Thanks to all the BBR crew for all your work and an excellent FART! 👍👍

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Left at 7:45am and arrived home at 2:06pm. Had a fabulous 300 mile trip on back roads (no superslab). Thank you to all the Bumbling Backroad Riders for their hard work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Home around 2:30 PM. Slab all the way, no rain or fog. A few accidents in the other lanes, but besides heavy traffic and warm weather nothing special.

Thank you to my fellow BBR guys and to all the attendees for making this another very memorable, if sad event.

Hopefully I will see  you all at START 2024!

• Like 11