IGNORED

2023 Fall Appalachian Riding Tour (FART) - Sparta, NC Sept 20-24th

Indy Dave

Just ordered some cigars- not sure if they will last until Fart.  Punch Gran Nicaragua Robusto, Nub Dub by Oliva, and some Drew Estate Undercrown Maduros.  

I may have missed it- but what's the pressure washer for? 

Looking forward to seeing everyone!  

• Smile 2
Motorhead1977
1 minute ago, S.O.B. said:

I may have missed it- but what's the pressure washer for? 

Looking forward to seeing everyone!

Getting rid of any pressure you didn't get rid of while out riding!  What else could it be for?

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, Bernie said:

The pressure washer was used to remove the coal dust from the bikes. Courtesy of WV. 🫢

Nothing better than that powdered black ice... 

• Thinking 1
Brad Snodgrass
22 hours ago, Boxflyer said:

Hope you can make it Brad…I’m looking forward to working on your bike!

Brad

Brad, I have a room booked.  I would like you to check my cam timing and valve clearance.  Thanks and see you there.

• Like 1
On 8/8/2023 at 12:05 PM, MikeB60 said:

That was fun, except when the 1600 slid on to the shoulder and William and Joe had to push me back on the road!

Mike did all the hard work keeping the bike upright.  I think snow may have been less slippery.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Bernie said:

I don’t think you have seen those pictures. As I said WV is a little different, we didn’t stop long enough for pictures.

But maybe @wbw6cos will tell the story around the fire pit or the space heater.

That incident is why you should find someone to ride with, the routes go into strange little areas with tiny roads and little traffic. And some times, the locals can be a little different, lets just say.:3:

Bernie's lights were pretty dirty as well.  

WV FART 21.jpg

• Like 2

Also, the pressure washer was used to rinse off  a lot of road-crap from the heavy rains we had riding in on Wednesday. Heavy rain, fog, and debris on the BRP (among other roads).  If I am not mistaken, it was the remnants of a tropical depression.   :dontknow:

Page 4??   We don't need no stinkin page 4.  :rofl:

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, JSCOTT said:

Bernie's lights were pretty dirty as well.  

WV FART 21.jpg

...needs a couple of blue bikes in the photo to round out the flag colors!:18:

• Like 3
  • Smile 2
11 hours ago, Bernie said:

WV is a little different, we didn’t stop long enough for pictures.

Smoke Hole WV. is where KaToom's clutch slave gave out on his KTM950adv last FART. We took pics and then hauled ass out of there..... OK, U-Hauled ass out of there:rofl:

• Like 2

I'll be cancelling my reservation tomorrow.  I have some legal problems that I thought would be resolved before FART but found out today that they won't be.  BTW, does anyone know how to safely remove or disable the monitoring device around my ankle?  :classic_biggrin:

• Smile 1
  • Thinking 1
  • Sad 1
6 minutes ago, narcosis said:

I'll be cancelling my reservation tomorrow.  I have some legal problems that I thought would be resolved before FART but found out today that they won't be.  BTW, does anyone know how to safely remove or disable the monitoring device around my ankle?  :classic_biggrin:

There is at least one person looking for a room.  Check Brad Snodgrass post a couple days ago. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, narcosis said:

BTW, does anyone know how to safely remove or disable the monitoring device around my ankle?  :classic_biggrin:

Sorry to hear. Google it! :4607:

I sincerely hope I'm not being a burden or bother to anyone but just thought of another question to ask as the new guy... do I need to register for this event? I've not yet received my BMWMOA card on top of not knowing what questions to ask even if I had. Ha! I've booked a room but just realized there might be a registration form for the group. 

Does this "neck of the woods" accept debt cards? Do I need to tuck my long hair up before pulling over for gas anywhere?

Are there places I need not pull over for gas?

Should I be concerned with what color my bandanna is that I blow my nose with? Hahaha! 

Is it typically a rain event?

Is there a breakfast joint near by, before we do our burnouts in the parking lot?

I'm just brainstorming here. My apologies for all the questions. I can only imagine all these questions will be addressed for us new guys once the party gets started but my main concern was the registration part... and the long hair part actually. Ha! Have a great evening gentlemen. 

• Like 1
  • Smile 1
22 minutes ago, BruinsFan said:

I sincerely hope I'm not being a burden or bother to anyone but just thought of another question to ask as the new guy... do I need to register for this event? I've not yet received my BMWMOA card on top of not knowing what questions to ask even if I had. Ha! I've booked a room but just realized there might be a registration form for the group. 

Does this "neck of the woods" accept debt cards? Do I need to tuck my long hair up before pulling over for gas anywhere?

Should I be concerned with what color my bandanna is that I blow my nose with? Hahaha! 

Is there a breakfast joint near by, before we do our burnouts in the parking lot?

I'm just brainstorming here. My apologies for all the questions. I can only imagine all these questions will be addressed for us new guys once the party gets started but my main concern was the registration part... and the long hair part actually. Ha! Have a great evening gentlemen. 

No registration required, actually with you announcing that you are coming to the event, means you have registered. Just don’t expect a refund, if you cancel.

The motel and most gas stations and restaurants accept plastic or cash. There is a small restaurant that opens at 7AM on the edge of the motel. It swerves standard American fare. I think you will fit in just fine. I am not sure what color bandana you should use or about the length of your hair. 

As for gas stations, I recommend you fill your tank at any place that looks ok to you, there are a few places close to the motel. If you use any of the routes I/we will post in a few days, depending on your normal fuel consumption I would recommend to everyone to refill there gas tank when ever there tank reaches 1/4-1/3 capacity.

I hope some of the other guys will chime in with additional information or advise.

32 minutes ago, BruinsFan said:

Yeah.... They're gonna like you, boi.......

🙏🙏🙏🙏

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, BruinsFan said:

Welcome - BruinsFan! I've sent you the Introduction to the Art's. Breakfast place is across the parking lot. Use you google-fi to get the lay of the town and layout. 

See you soon.

Stay tuned for routes, meal info and T-shirts.

Indy

• Like 1

Another new guy that's supposed to be in Ohio towards the end of that week but I've booked a room on Wednesday night and I'm calling that 'on the way.'

I'd like to have dinner Wednesday night and meet and greet folks before I head north Thursday afternoon.

Do you need anything else from me at this time?

Dave

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stiggy said:

I'd like to have dinner Wednesday night and meet and greet folks before I head north Thursday afternoon.

Do you need anything else from me at this time?

Dave

Not really, looking forward to meeting you. Just walk up and introduce yourself and we figure out a place to go for dinner. 

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
14 hours ago, BruinsFan said:

Yes, you need to register.  I am the treasurer for this gig and you need to paypal me $143,568.32.  This will cover your access to Sparta, NC and some parts of SW Va (other parts are an additional charge), TN depends on the time of day, WV-they don't know anything about money, just bring Opioids.

This does not cover your room or meal fees, those are additional charges.  I think someone will have a liquor and cigar stand, those are additional charges.

Gas is an additional charge.

Smiles are free on the house.

;);)

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
Motorhead1977

However, with the discount the registration fee for FART works out to $0.00 USD? Rooms and meals are of course extra cost.

• Smile 1
  • Thinking 1
21 hours ago, narcosis said:

Okay, reservation cancelled.  Someone jump on it.

• Sad 2

Hello and greetings from the absentee squirrel herder. Things been crazy up my way and me gots too many plates to keep spinning. I apologize for my inattentiveness. I do have today set aside to catch up on several projects at home - including all things FART.

But then comes a call to run out of town "quickly" to check on my M5, and swap out my buddy's 540i for his M3. Oh.... We need to see if the 944 will start.

And that's how it's been lately. One step forward, 3 backwards.

Anyway, I'll get us all up to date by days end.

20230811_110105.thumb.jpg.6c2b727a7ace6548c3accce3dbe8393d.jpg

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Motorhead1977 said:

However, with the discount the registration fee for FART works out to $0.00 USD? Rooms and meals are of course extra cost.

Unless one is a RUSH fan 🤣🤣🤣

• Smile 3
9 hours ago, Rougarou said:

Yes, you need to register.  I am the treasurer for this gig and you need to paypal me $143,568.32.  This will cover your access to Sparta, NC and some parts of SW Va (other parts are an additional charge), TN depends on the time of day, WV-they don't know anything about money, just bring Opioids.

This does not cover your room or meal fees, those are additional charges.  I think someone will have a liquor and cigar stand, those are additional charges.

Gas is an additional charge.

Smiles are free on the house.

;);)

Flippin HILARIOUS! Also a coincidence... thats exactly how much I've given to my X-Wife. I'll give you her number. 🤣 

Yep, you guys are my kinda ppl. Y'all have a lovely evening. 

• Like 3
  • Plus 1 1
  • Smile 1

We've got the red carpet unrolled and it's being steam cleaned and refreshed.

Boxflyer  continues to innovate, improve, provide insight and all around problem solve on all things Rrrrrrrr- bike related.  Brad is secretly MacGyver meets Willy Wonka for BMW's! The biggest problem he's had lately is finding a phone booth to change into his Superman outfit. 

We've had the  parking meters removed and put the meter maids (including Lovely Rita) on vacation for our visit to the thriving metropolis of Sparta.

Wanna join us? We'd love to have you! Just a few rooms left at the Inn:

* 1 room on conference hall with two queen beds. 

*1 room upstairs with 2 queen beds. 

*3 rooms upstairs with 1 queen bed.

Remember to enter the rate code on the web page "BMWST4" all caps to show the available rooms, or call the Allegany Inn Directly.

https://alleghanyinn.com/

See you all soon! 

Edited by Indy Dave
  • Like 6

And do not forget..... you'll get plenty of FREE PARKING** !! (as seen on TV! :ohboy: )

16917692894861416402395446917332.thumb.jpg.3f8ada2fc331c64392d8eb53d59593c3.jpg.1b7e118929647ae7c4ee7344af7d01a1.jpg

** with validation:spittake:

Edited by Indy Dave
  • Plus 1 1
  • Smile 1

FART will be here before we know it.  Since I know IndyDave will quiz me on my preparations before departing the Great White North, I've had my bike to tjhe dealer to have the service campaign performed on my GSA, i.e., having the rubber drain installed in the swingarm, and the driveshaft replaced.  I will also have a new set of tires installed before kickstand up (for me, that's September 14th). And, because it's not just the bike that needs to be ready, I just ordered a Rukka long-sleeve base layer.  It has the phase-change Outlast fabric, which was the subject of a lengthy article in the August issue of the MOA Owners News.

It also helps that I have an easily re-purposed "to-do" list for ARTs, along with a similar packing list.

• Like 7
On 8/10/2023 at 7:46 PM, Bernie said:

...I would recommend to everyone to refill their gas tank when ever their tank reaches 1/4-1/3 capacity....

Words to live by.

• Plus 1 2
2 hours ago, 9Mary7 said:

I'm pretty sure you can add @KaTooM to the attendee list.

Pretty sure he's on the list :thumbsup:

2023FARTSpartaWhosgoingP1Aug11R1.thumb.jpg.0e7852f971d8d8064bf139e4d9805a53.jpg.4e8a655f2149b3627970b74f2192577d.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Smile 1
13 minutes ago, 9Mary7 said:

So in addition to my CRS, apparently I can't SEE sh!t either:rofl:

Well, two things. Ordinarily I create at least two slides so that the attendance list is more legible. And secondly. As anybody will share, it is very common of me to leave people off the list. :ohboy:

One thing I did change this year, is trying to list people alphabetically by their board name, as opposed to the order in which they signed up.

Definitely no harm and no foul,

• Like 3

With all the postings to the threads, back and forth banter, and @Indy Dave keeping busy with other activities outside of BMWST, I am amazed he can keep up with it.   Although, a few love to catch him in gotcha moments.   So he has that going for him, which is nice.    

:whistle:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Since it is getting closer to FART 2023, I think it is time to remind everyone, that they need to look at their bikes and maybe get them into riding shape.

I know it has been HOT or WET or Smokey, but FART 2023 is a riding event. It is important that you know the conditions of your tires and brakes.

Especially if you having done much riding since START 2023 or last years FART 2022.

If your tires don't have at least 50% tread or your brake pads are not at least 50% thickness, I strongly recommend to change them before riding or trailering to FART 2023.

Of course other items need taken care of, like checking your oil, brake fluid, head light fluid and battery status for the bike, the key fob and the remote for your heated jacket.

Also don't forget to bring your rain gear along. This event is at slightly higher elevation and some of the routes cross over "mountains". The weather can change and it could be nice on one side and wet on the other. A few years ago, I was leading a small group to Abington, VA and every one was glad when I pulled over to fix my heater remote, because they all wanted to add a layer or plug in themselves. The temps had dropped into the 40's and it was a bit chilly.

So get your bike and your gear and yourself into riding shape.

Also don't forget to update your GPS units and /or your phone navigation Apps.

• Like 5
25 minutes ago, Indy Dave said:

And secondly. As anybody will share, it is very common of me to leave people off the list. :ohboy:

He does it on purpose. He is just checking if anyone is paying any attention to what he post's.

I think one year he claimed some guy called Neil Peart was attending. :4617:

• Haha 3
1 hour ago, wbw6cos said:

With all the postings to the threads, back and forth banter, and @Indy Dave keeping busy with other activities outside of BMWST, I am amazed he can keep up with it.   Although, a few love to catch him in gotcha moments.   So he has that going for him, which is nice.    

:whistle:

I could not agree more!    Dave & Company do n amazing job of herding the cats and we sometimes forget they have a life outside or BMWST and ART.  I am sure they huge salaries the receive from BMWST help but nonetheless it is nice to have folks work so hard so that WE can have a blast.   

:18:

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
  • Thanks 1