IGNORED

2023 Fall Appalachian Riding Tour (FART) - Sparta, NC Sept 20-24th

Indy Dave

I feel a little like a ghost writer, trying to keep up with this thread while I am ridng. 

@TSConver why don't you go ahead and make your case and I'll respond when I get to the end of my ride today.

I will allow that there is a pretty good guitar solo on that long song " Xanax", and I do like that Huckleberry Finn song.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Indy Dave said:

I feel a little like a ghost writer, trying to keep up with this thread while I am ridng. 

@TSConver why don't you go ahead and make your case and I'll respond when I get to the end of my ride today.

I will allow that there is a pretty good guitar solo on that long song " Xanax", and I do like that Huckleberry Finn song.

So Peart was Rush, I don't think they would have existed as they do today without him.  His technical drumming is the key to songs like Tom Sawyer and Spirit of Radio.  His lyrics are also top notch.  

His riffs were iconic in rock and influenced many modern drummers, like Grohl and Ulrich.  His time signatures that he did were pioneering.

He is always in the top five best drummers with likes of Moon, Bonham, Blaine, and Baker

5 hours ago, Bernie said:

Bridge out again?

No .. but...

20230710_170957.thumb.jpg.d8a3ed5e6c27725bd98f8546b2577f7c.jpg

@TSConver  thanks! If I recall correctly, this is the guy people call the professor, and he has the drum kit that he's totally surrounded by?

Ok. I'll allow he must have some skills! And I do like that Mark Twain song.

If you were going to recommend three or four of their other songs, which ones would they be?

Thanks. 

16 hours ago, Matts_12GS said:

How about we make this about motorcycles and discuss this round the campfire?

:3:

• Smile 1
16 hours ago, brianh70 said:

I'm in!  20th - 24th.  See you all there.

BRIAN! Glad to have you making a return visit! We've missed you!! :18:

• Like 3
12 hours ago, Indy Dave said:

No .. but...

20230710_170957.thumb.jpg.d8a3ed5e6c27725bd98f8546b2577f7c.jpg

@TSConver  thanks! If I recall correctly, this is the guy people call the professor, and he has the drum kit that he's totally surrounded by?

Ok. I'll allow he must have some skills! And I do like that Mark Twain song.

If you were going to recommend three or four of their other songs, which ones would they be?

Thanks. 

Why do I feel like I am being snookered?

But to play along picking just a couple is like picking your favorite child out of your family.

Guess the question is do you like their old bluesy stuff or their more modern stuff.

Here Again is a masterpiece of blues rock

The Spirit of Radio is a favorite

Xanadu and Closer to the Heart are easy to listen to

Fountain of Lamneth is so technical

Favorite album though is Moving Pictures with Red Barchetta, Limelight and Tom Sawyer.

Hard to pick 3 or 4 from 167 songs over 6 decades as they grew and changed with every album.

Saw them with my son in in Raleigh in 2013 and their concert was probably the best concert I have ever attended.

Oh forgot another favorite 2112 Overture.

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1
1 hour ago, TSConver said:

Why do I feel like I am being snookered?

But to play along picking just a couple is like picking your favorite child out of your family.

Guess the question is do you like their old bluesy stuff or their more modern stuff.

Here Again is a masterpiece of blues rock

The Spirit of Radio is a favorite

Xanadu and Closer to the Heart are easy to listen to

Fountain of Lamneth is so technical

Favorite album though is Moving Pictures with Red Barchetta, Limelight and Tom Sawyer.

Hard to pick 3 or 4 from 167 songs over 6 decades as they grew and changed with every album.

Saw them with my son in in Raleigh in 2013 and their concert was probably the best concert I have ever attended.

Oh forgot another favorite 2112 Overture.

Go with your gut, you're being snookered!

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

@TSConver You are a very good sport, and a good man. Thanks for taking the time to try and enlighten me. 

Respect.

I like the song Xanax Xanadu too. 

BTW - Ghost Writer Rider was a subtle hint yesterday. :wave:. You may have missed it in the first post, I was referring to them when I said the holy Trinity of Rock... This me funining with you and Matt. 

I have some stickers to share with you at FART. 

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, Indy Dave said:

@TSConver You are a very good sport, and a good man. Thanks for taking the time to try and enlighten me. 

Respect.

I like the song Xanax Xanadu too. 

BTW - Ghost Writer Rider was a subtle hint yesterday. :wave:. You may have missed it in the first post, I was referring to them when I said the holy Trinity of Rock... This me funining with you and Matt. 

Both went over my head.  :4617:

So what are your favorite Rush songs?  Put you on the spot, :19:

1 hour ago, Indy Dave said:

This me funining with you and Matt. 

I know lots about them.. Just never got as obsessed with them as many in these parts do.

On 7/10/2023 at 2:01 PM, Matts_12GS said:

How about we make this about motorcycles and discuss this round the campfire?

6 hours ago, Matts_12GS said:

I know lots about them.. Just never got as obsessed with them as many in these parts do.

Like them, hate them  or in-between -It's your time. Only you can control what you choose to read (and respond to) and spend your time. The general ART thread that is active for the 5 or so months leading up to the current event always takes turns and tangents. Always has. Always will. 

Come to think of it, so does the conversation around the campfire!

Either way, I'm glad you're coming to Sparta!

• Like 3
  • Indy Dave unfeatured this topic
2 minutes ago, Indy Dave said:

Like them, hate them  or in-between -It's your time. Only you can control what you choose to read (and respond to) and spend your time. The general ART thread that is active for the 5 or so months leading up to the current event always takes turns and tangents. Always has. Always will. 

Come to think of it, so does the conversation around the campfire!

Either way, I'm glad you're coming to Sparta!

Yep.  I'm looking forward to seeing folks again.

In running a dozen of these events, I learned a  great deal.

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
7 hours ago, TSConver said:

Both went over my head.  :4617:

So what are your favorite Rush songs?  Put you on the spot, :19:

Well ya - like ya say, a tough choice. Here's my play list for this scouting trip. . . .  This might be a neat thread in and of itself - people sharing their favorite or current play lists. I have 4 Moto playlists that I try to change up to keep them from becoming stale.

Screenshot_20230711-214329_Poweramp.thumb.jpg.b7d1fddd70f6563832bcc941feab31af.jpgScreenshot_20230711-214348_Poweramp.thumb.jpg.11c8622d1564b333e5fb786d8aa2f1a2.jpgScreenshot_20230711-214401_Poweramp.thumb.jpg.0054ba343f82ba5d73531a4287236c31.jpgScreenshot_20230711-214412_Poweramp.thumb.jpg.53fcc131eb9c8de2f97aa22f7dbc2201.jpgScreenshot_20230711-214425_Poweramp.thumb.jpg.86516bdfc3b2a3149fd6f45423da014a.jpgScreenshot_20230711-214444_Poweramp.thumb.jpg.1beb0a1e1f7387cd30b1400da962d5ab.jpgScreenshot_20230711-214457_Poweramp.thumb.jpg.c13b69db4f89ea14752ce238ad08562c.jpgScreenshot_20230711-214511_Poweramp.thumb.jpg.d952715bb0136ae0f8cf9f376deebf2e.jpgScreenshot_20230711-214521_Poweramp.thumb.jpg.d1342ffdec4523ade5f2afca8784db0e.jpgScreenshot_20230711-214531_Poweramp.thumb.jpg.51653c49b1af7c7b17939b5aa471af70.jpgScreenshot_20230711-214541_Poweramp.thumb.jpg.7d268d63e34ec225566703aee56c8656.jpgScreenshot_20230711-214552_Poweramp.thumb.jpg.829bd3a2ad3ce8b9a90ced6a9cd7d8ea.jpgScreenshot_20230711-214657_Poweramp.thumb.jpg.1a36d546667246bc39d405ea0da08c0e.jpg

lawnchairboy
On 7/10/2023 at 12:34 PM, Matts_12GS said:

Their fans are almost as pretentious as BMW riders... Makes sense y'all are so into them....

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I resemble that remark

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have seen Rush 40 times (give or take a few - I have a list somewhere) live - in 9 different states and 2 Countries. In doing so, I have met some of the most amazing, pleasant and nice folks at their shows. Genuine people - including Andrew MacNaughtan, during a visit to the very busy offices of SRO Productions (we just dropped in). Andrew took the time to give me and my friends (who had traveled from The Netherlands) a tour and tips/pointers for our visit to Toronto. Even gave us his personal contact info.  I have several of his pictures. Andrew even went so far as to contact us and invite us to meet him (and meet Alex  and Geddy) when Rush was touring in Europe. My friends took him up on that offer!   https://www.thestar.com/entertainment/2012/01/26/andrew_macnaughtan_photographer_dies_on_rush_assignment.html

By contrast - while I have traveled to many more States on my BMW RT's (and cage) and also met many nice and genuine folks. However I have also encountered several A-holes who ride BMW's. I can't say the same about the Rush fans I've met.

• Smile 1

HOTEL AVAILABILITY UPDATE

Here's what rooms were remaining in the hotel as of yesterday:

1 room on conference hall
1 king downstairs
1 two double beds upstairs
8 single queen, 2 down, 6 up
6 two queen all upstairs.

As of July 12
2023FARTSpartaWhosgoingP1July13R1.thumb.jpg.a55e8f471570acb6db46ebc5f9b4faec.jpg

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Indy Dave said:

I can't say the same about the Rush fans I've met

Dave, although I only saw Rush once, I was a big fan since my teenage years. Hope that doesn't give you second thoughts to your comment .   :grin:

• Haha 1
10 minutes ago, taylor1 said:

Dave, although I only saw Rush once, I was a big fan since my teenage years. Hope that doesn't give you second thoughts to your comment .   :grin:

Haha!!  I never would have guessed! It's always great to have you, Dave! We missed you in Ellijay!

I've been told that the best FART's are aged. Those are the ones you can be proud of - there's no blaming the dog on a well marinated FART. When you break the seal on one of these, you either claim it (if you're with your riding buddies - hey bragging rights!) or if in a crowd, you let the masterpiece fly and step aside and observe while it overtakes unsuspecting folks, doing your best not to show a wide grin or breath too deeply. Again, this is what I've been told, I have no personal experience myself. 

Speaking of well seasoned, Route Master @Bernie  has been busy refining the routes for Sparta. That's right my friend, while no doubt you and I would be more than thrilled with the exact same route set from 2021, Bernie goes back through his notes and your feedback, as well as updating stops and more to always bring us New and Improved. @wbw6cos will be pleased to know that the routes are now in the official review process. :bike:

As of July 16:

2023FARTSpartaWhosgoingP1July16.thumb.jpg.b13f45ed8d5ca4a444aa476374357369.jpg

• Smile 1
  • Haha 1
7 hours ago, Foot said:

In Wednesday thru Sunday!!

Looking forward to seeing you.   It's been a long time 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey folks, I'm Bob, new to the forum and interested in this upcoming event.  I'm a first-time owner and rider of R1250GSA. My previous experience has been in the sport bike arena, and I am looking forward to the Euro-bike experience. Looking forward to new friends and the dual-sport experience.

Here's a shot of Val shes only five days old, and I've clocked 500 miles.

2023 BMW R1250GSA 

Apex, NC

image.png.0527d9906d614be0d42bfc734eda7bd5.png

• Like 10
On 7/13/2023 at 11:46 AM, Indy Dave said:

I have seen Rush 40 times (give or take a few - I have a list somewhere) live - in 9 different states and 2 Countries. In doing so, I have met some of the most amazing, pleasant and nice folks at their shows. Genuine people - including Andrew MacNaughtan, during a visit to the very busy offices of SRO Productions (we just dropped in). Andrew took the time to give me and my friends (who had traveled from The Netherlands) a tour and tips/pointers for our visit to Toronto. Even gave us his personal contact info.  I have several of his pictures. Andrew even went so far as to contact us and invite us to meet him (and meet Alex  and Geddy) when Rush was touring in Europe. My friends took him up on that offer!   https://www.thestar.com/entertainment/2012/01/26/andrew_macnaughtan_photographer_dies_on_rush_assignment.html

By contrast - while I have traveled to many more States on my BMW RT's (and cage) and also met many nice and genuine folks. However I have also encountered several A-holes who ride BMW's. I can't say the same about the Rush fans I've met.

Speaking of Rush.

Here's a slickdeal on Moving Pictures 40th anniversary stuff

At the risk of making the natives restless, by being one of those pretentious Rush fans (not certain what I'm pretending to), but...

I tend to buy my Rush merch HERE.

I'm a minor fan compared to many. Only seen them 17 times since my first time in Memphis back in 1979. 

To tie it to motorcycling, I did see Neil Peart on his GSA back in 2008 on my way to Shenendoah Natl Park, where I was planning to set up camp prior to riding down to then Nissan Pavillion to watch the Rush Snakes & Arrows show. I wisely chose not to turn my '04 RT around and try to chase him down (as though I would have been able to catch up anyway, should I have been so rude). Prior to the show, all the motorcyclists entering the venue parking were guided to a large concrete area to park. There were at least a hundred BMWs. Everyone hung out talking about riding, and their glimpses of NEP while riding in different places around the world. 

I've read 5 of NEPs travel books. One can buy those HERE. Loved each of those I read, especially his memoir about his 65,000 mile journey in Ghost Rider.  That story was largely responsible for my getting back on a bike after a 17-year hiatus.  

... now back to our regularly scheduled programming of not talk about this upcoming event (as though I've got room to talk ... I've been largely absent from this board for nearly 5 years).  

• Like 3
35 minutes ago, TyTass said:

... now back to our regularly scheduled programming of not talk about this upcoming event (as though I've got room to talk ... I've been largely absent from this board for nearly 5 years).  

I hope this means you will be at FART 2023. By the way you guys could talk about the event, our page count is way down. Unless we get to the proper page, I can't post the routes. SO let's talk about tires, oil and seats? Or cigars, brown liquid and cloud formations?

26 minutes ago, Bernie said:

I hope this means you will be at FART 2023. By the way you guys could talk about the event, our page count is way down. Unless we get to the proper page, I can't post the routes. SO let's talk about tires, oil and seats? Or cigars, brown liquid and cloud formations?

Um, no. My last post didn't mean I'm attending. 

On 7/17/2023 at 11:14 AM, TyTass said:

Two IN for W-Su. Reservations made.

This post does. 

As for the rest ... Bourbon. I will be bringing some bourbon. No cigars. 

(Oh, and Bernie ... I learned about a bunch of roads in the SW VA area from reading some of Neil Pearts travel stories. Just sayin'. :stir:)

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, wbw6cos said:

What???    No routes yet?   Oh, the humanity.   

:lurk:

William look at the page count, we need more active information. Routes are ready, but I need some coffee first. And maybe some tires. :5146:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
13 minutes ago, TyTass said:

Um, no. My last post didn't mean I'm attending. 

This post does. 

As for the rest ... Bourbon. I will be bringing some bourbon. No cigars. 

(Oh, and Bernie ... I learned about a bunch of roads in the SW VA area from reading some of Neil Pearts travel stories. Just sayin'. :stir:)

I read Neil’s books also. 😜

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Bernie said:

William look at the page count, we need more active information. Routes are ready, but I need some coffee first. And maybe some tires. :5146:

Bernie,

It looks like it's still holding air...I bet you could squeeze another 1000 miles out of them!

i-MnMqCpK-S.png

• Haha 2
  • Thinking 2