IGNORED

Out And About

Rinkydink

On 1/7/2023 at 8:53 AM, Dennis Andress said:

DD9F5B76-3AC1-45D6-97B0-78F850D66CE0.thumb.jpeg.6dbe942a0900ac19f6782a862ad66d5b.jpeg

My daughter gave me this Victrola machine for my birthday last month.  Was playing the original soundtrack from "South Pacific" on it yesterday.....

IMG_7161.jpg

Edited by BamaJohn
forgot photo
  • Like 2
  • Plus 1 1
19 minutes ago, wbw6cos said:

Was that you that asked about the 10mm?

Classic.

What a deal!!  (...........so far.)

Not I,.....I saw the listing and had to wonder why the bid was so high,....must be they have all the 10mm's

• Smile 1

I've given my brothers rides. They did not cuddle up like that, though!

It was pretty common to give a friend a ride if you look at old pictures from the 60's and 70's. But of course society here won't allow that anymore without drawing conclusions.

I gave a high school classmate a ride home one day on my GS 1100. (Yep, the only 18 y/o kid in town at the time with a motorcycle of that size) :cool: (the legend in my own mind thing was strong)

Anyway, he was never a passenger on a motorcycle before (there’s that) I was a bit of a show-off (there’s that) and we traveled a road called Hill St. At the top of Hill St, it flattens out as does most hills. Now being a Suzuki GS 1100 ES, one of the most powerful motorcycles in the world and could blow your socks clean off (oh wait, different movie) :) I without warning pulled a wheelie at the top of the hill (St.) Now (picture this) my buddy Kevin’s feet ended up by the top of my helmet before I could reach back and grab his legs keeping him on the bike. :eek: Let’s just say, that was the last time he ever got on a motorcycle. :classic_biggrin:

Fun fact, I named my daughter after him. No, not Kevin. ;)

• Like 3

Had a similar incident but not on purpose (think I've told this one before). Late 60's a guy in the hood had a new Kawasaki HI Mach III, aka the widowmaker. Another buddy and I stopped by and he says here take it for a spin. Well alrighty then.. we're in t-shirts, shorts and flip flops. I'm thinking with the two of us it's gonna need some juice to get er going so rev it up and pop the clutch.. yeow, it stood straight up, my buddy John fell off the back and I barely got it back down still holding on. Stopped, put the sidestand down and never rode one again : )

• Like 1
23 hours ago, Rougarou said:

image.thumb.png.f02e5e392ffe6a2d05bf91f3be5ad2db.png

A woman I sold a Mercedes to (she has a doctorate in abnormal psychology) called one day and said 'there's a light on the dash that shows a bomb exploding what should I do"? I said describe it, 'it's a circle with little lines extending from of it', told her she had a light bulb out.. 

• Smile 1
  • Haha 1
8 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

Richard....those are known as fat pills.

Yes they are and quite addictive,....for a meeting last week, some clown brought in three dozen.  Since many folks weren't partaking in these delicacies, I had to feast on nine of them myself......can't just let them get thrown away.   My manager was like: "you ate how many",...."only nine, coulda easily eaten more but there was none left".  If it weren't for staying fairly active, I'd be round,....very, very round.

• Like 1
  • Smile 1
Joe Frickin' Friday
13 hours ago, TEWKS said:

No CDL.

image.jpeg

CDL.

image.jpeg.ce7a9cd12d107c00caec877ecc20e1a8.jpeg

At least in this state. :dontknow:

What's the difference?  Is it based on just weight?

11 minutes ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

Weight, but mostly personal vs  commercial use. Fire truck is under diferrent rules altogether.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

My understanding is they are not considered a commercial vehicle (or at least exempt) from that tag.

My guess is (especially now) it’s quite a process to get a CDL and there’d be a shortage of qualified people to fight fires.

I have mine, wish I could figure out a way to get paid to have it, but…. :dontknow:

2 hours ago, TEWKS said:

wish I could figure out a way to get paid to have it

Get a real job........:rofl:

JK.... I went into a burning house once, firemen were still a couple minutes out and we didn't know if anyone was inside. Didn't find anything but smoke, flames and unbelievable HEAT......... 

Swear that was the scariest thing I've ever done:ohboy:

• Smile 1
1 minute ago, 9Mary7 said:

Get a real job...

Funny you mention that, my brother just yesterday offered me a driving job. He has some gravel haulers and a few of his older drivers want to retire, again. I’m kinda stuck being Mr. Mom at the moment for a little bit longer anyway.

Yeah, fires can be adrenaline producing events. :spittake:

• Like 1
7 hours ago, roadscholar said:

image.jpeg.6bd10f12dd501e718e173d43e98df6c9.jpeg

I like grandma's style! A mustache and she's a boss.

There was a spot in the city where the cops always sat and busted people. Someone spray painted "Cops ahead" on the bridge post. Everybody slowed down, the cops stopped hanging out there.

There is always talk in the neighborhood about ways to get traffic to slow down, I tell people to put up a sign the says "Speed Trap Ahead" and they would never have a speeder again.

Also, speed cameras are illegal in our state, by constitutional amendment (yes!), but that doesn't mean that an official looking sign couldn't be put up that says "Speed Enforcement Camera Ahead". Most people don't know cameras aren't allowed and would never raise an issue, they would just slow down.

Joe Frickin' Friday
29 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

I like grandma's style! A mustache and she's a boss.

There was a spot in the city where the cops always sat and busted people. Someone spray painted "Cops ahead" on the bridge post. Everybody slowed down, the cops stopped hanging out there.

There is always talk in the neighborhood about ways to get traffic to slow down, I tell people to put up a sign the says "Speed Trap Ahead" and they would never have a speeder again.

Also, speed cameras are illegal in our state, by constitutional amendment (yes!), but that doesn't mean that an official looking sign couldn't be put up that says "Speed Enforcement Camera Ahead". Most people don't know cameras aren't allowed and would never raise an issue, they would just slow down.

This was a pic from a 2007 trip to Torrey, when they had a cop car parked in a conspicuous location in town with a dummy inside:

i-RcvzJD7.jpg

The locals would know about it, but tourists zipping through would slow down as soon as they saw it.  Is that thing still there these days?

The township I lived in would put up a piece of plywood on the side of the road that was painted to look like a police car with a radar sticking out the window. When approaching from a couple blocks away it looked real enough to slow traffic. Once people got used to it, they would put a real cop car there and start handing out tickets. Pretty funny!

The suburb I lived in at one time got a new police chief. The interstate highway ran through town, and although his PD had no patrol responsibility for it, said chief had the idea to set up one of those programmable traffic boards on it, which were new at the time:

DRUG CHECKPOINT AHEAD

They simply watched for any vehicle that bobbled between lanes, tried to take a quick exit, or was otherwise suspicious. And then stopped them. It was *very* effective.

The unintended consequence was the paranoid 18 wheeler driver who panicked ** and tried to do a u-turn through the jersey barrier cutout **. I witnessed that from an overpass, it was almost comical.

The practice was outlawed by the state immediately after the ensuing uproar.

• Like 1

Saw a Drug Checkpoint Ahead for the first time a few years ago going thru Iowa, right before an exit. I figured of course the coppers are just waiting for people to get off the hiway. Can you say entrapment?