IGNORED

START 2015 - April 23-26 - Dillard, GA

Kinsley

Grrrrrr................

I am doomed ...............

Sister is talking about meeting with atty abt mom's estate.

Gonna have to work real hard to avoid missing START.

In fact, I think the fact that I announce I'm going to be somewhere is enough to make sure I won't make it. Note to self, don't announce plans, just show up.

Gah! Bud, what are you doing? This is going to go in you personal record if you don't show up!

IN - Arriving Thurs (assuming I'm not snowed-in) as is roomie DaveCinNewOrleans.

Excellent! See you there.

Grrrrrr................

In fact, I think the fact that I announce I'm going to be somewhere is enough to make sure I won't make it. Note to self, don't announce plans, just show up.

Gah! Bud, what are you doing? This is going to go in you personal record if you don't show up!

I know, I know. I'm afraid I will be blocked from any future events. Playing by ear day to day. My sister insists on having an atty "advise" us as to what we can do. She is the executrix of my mom's estate so she has the final word.

Grrrrrr................

I know, I know. I'm afraid I will be blocked from any future events. Playing by ear day to day. My sister insists on having an atty "advise" us as to what we can do. She is the executrix of my mom's estate so she has the final word.

What would be the point in blocking you? You'd have to show up for it to be of any impact! Just kidding. I do hope you can make it.

IN - Arriving Thurs (assuming I'm not snowed-in) as is roomie DaveCinNewOrleans.

Dave is snowed in in New Orleans?

:grin:

Just got back from the orthopedic surgeon.

:P

I'm still optomistic, but

recovery is slower than we had hoped.

Going to follow procedure, do what I can and we will try like heck to make it.

Bud,

Maybe we'll have to Skype.

:rofl:

:wave:

Grrrrrr................

What would be the point in blocking you? You'd have to show up for it to be of any impact! Just kidding. I do hope you can make it.

:rofl::rofl:

Just got back from the orthopedic surgeon.

:P

I'm still optomistic, but

recovery is slower than we had hoped.

Going to follow procedure, do what I can and we will try like heck to make it.

Bud,

Maybe we'll have to Skype.

:rofl:

:wave:

Stay with the rehab program. Time spent now is cheap compare to time spent later.

Skype? Is that some new model of BMW???? :grin:

Given the winter we have had, nothing would surprise me.

And I guess I could use an editor.

I've been thinking about some more "gravel/Jeep trail" riding for the trip and thought I'd share some of my thoughts if anyone wants to join in for a day or three. These are generally what I was thinking and may change around depending. I'm happy to have any and all join in the rides. I'm more of an off-road/gravel/dirt rider so these are all a mix of pavement, gravel and a little jeep trail dirt but nothing hard or complex. I've been up in this area many times with my KLR and KTM and know the area and roads well. These rides should be a piece-of-cake for a comfortable rider on a GS type bike.

Note that I don't have .gpx files, just these files on google maps. :) I'm sure some of you are smart enough to make .gpx files from them??? I have no idea. haha. Thurs and Sat are 2 maps for a day.

- Thurs (9 hrs approximately of riding, Kickstands up 8am) (2 parts to the ride):

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=z-TcOb1NKIqA.kkiYFQAFvECI and

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=z-TcOb1NKIqA.kAeohAfGweB4

-Fri (8 hrs approx.):

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=z-TcOb1NKIqA.kreiHZRK8Rds

-Sat (9 hrs approx.):

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=z-TcOb1NKIqA.kbYxMuYzdZPA and https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=z-TcOb1NKIqA.kVBZw_tia_JE

If anyone is interested, let me know.

T

Todd

This guy did some big parts of Rainbow Trail in Salida last summer, he knows dirt!!

Seems my golf game is overwhelming my riding. I try to keep them somewhat balanced, might have to tag along with Mark. I can do offroad, but like to keep my KTM clean, so maybe some road rides for me. Nothing over 115mph, I hate shifting into 5 gear and still trying to keep up.

Wow Craig,

He really is smarter than he looks. He picked right up on that!

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Hi Glenn! :wave:

188227_1239798471477_300_310.jpg

Hi back at ya Matt! :wave:

I'm out............... :cry:

Gah! Buuuuuuuuuuud! :cry: Grrrrrrrr! :mad:

Well, I hope you can make one of these shindigs sometime soon.

START 2015 DILLARD GA GROUP MEAL PLANS WILL BE ANNOUNCED TOMORROW.

Craig, thanks for doing all of the work setting up the Saturday night dinner.

We hope everyone will join us for Saturday night and to do that you'll need to pre pay.

Craig has a seperate thread set up for it in the Ride and Event Planning section.

**   Chris   **
I've been thinking about some more "gravel/Jeep trail" riding for the trip and thought I'd share some of my thoughts if anyone wants to join in for a day or three. These are generally what I was thinking and may change around depending. I'm happy to have any and all join in the rides. I'm more of an off-road/gravel/dirt rider so these are all a mix of pavement, gravel and a little jeep trail dirt but nothing hard or complex. I've been up in this area many times with my KLR and KTM and know the area and roads well. These rides should be a piece-of-cake for a comfortable rider on a GS type bike.

Note that I don't have .gpx files, just these files on google maps. :) I'm sure some of you are smart enough to make .gpx files from them??? I have no idea. haha. Thurs and Sat are 2 maps for a day.

- Thurs (9 hrs approximately of riding, Kickstands up 8am) (2 parts to the ride):

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=z-TcOb1NKIqA.kkiYFQAFvECI and

-Fri (8 hrs approx.):

-Sat (9 hrs approx.):

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=z-TcOb1NKIqA.kbYxMuYzdZPA and https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=z-TcOb1NKIqA.kVBZw_tia_JE

If anyone is interested, let me know.

T

Todd

This guy did some big parts of Rainbow Trail in Salida last summer, he knows dirt!!

Seems my golf game is overwhelming my riding. I try to keep them somewhat balanced, might have to tag along with Mark. I can do offroad, but like to keep my KTM clean, so maybe some road rides for me. Nothing over 115mph, I hate shifting into 5 gear and still trying to keep up.

Are you joining us in Memphis?

Speaking of Us, Randy is a definite to be there. Whip is a definite to noshow.

Still on the fence, I have a conflict for sure, so a big maybe. I'm planning on making Memphis, then Dilliard on thursday, leave friday morning for home. Golf tourney saturday in Alex.

Just got some new to me irons (golf content) so they are fun!

Putting on a new front tire for the 1190 today (11,000+ miles for the OEM), that makes fun also!

Hey Guys,

Been working on updated plans/routes that I thought I’d share if anyone wants to check out some of the fantastic gravel and smaller paved roads in the area. These are all pretty easy rides (for a GS). I’ll plan an 8am departure and be back by 6pm each day so we have plenty of time to enjoy the day with stops and such and be back for the pm festivities (beer, cigars, stories, etc…)!

Thursday: includes: Wayah Rd, The Dragon, Drive through a community called “Top of the World”, Ride Parson’s Branch Rd from Cades Cove, “Backside” of Hwy 28 to Fontana, Tellico Gap Rd.

This one is about 8.5 hrs (at speed limits, per google maps) in the saddle. So, Figure a 10 hr day with stops etc. No planed lunch stop, just bring snacks and such. It’s a long day but the ride on Parson’s Branch is worth it. We can shorten the ride back if necessary as well.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=z-TcOb1NKIqA.kkiYFQAFvECI

Friday: includes some of my favorite paved and gravel roads. We’ll ride up to see Buzzard Roost (a fantastic place if you’ve never heard of it and a MUST SEE!!!!) and ride Hwy 32 to Cosby Tn (fantastic). Hwy 32 does have a section of dirt road (jeeps travel it) and one creek crossing. Not a difficult road (I did it on a fully luggage loaded KLR with a +1 front sprocket!) but not for the beginner I suppose.

This one is about 8 hrs (at speed limits, per google maps) in the saddle. So, Figure a 10 hr day with stops etc. No planed lunch stop, just bring snacks and such. We can shorten the ride back if necessary as well.

Saturday: includes the Dirt Cherohala and Citgo Creek Rd (Fantastic!).

This one is about 9 hrs (at speed limits, per google maps) in the saddle. There are less stops on this ride (more pavement to get to the better areas) so, Figure a 10 hr day. No planed lunch stop, just bring snacks and such. We can shorten the ride back if necessary as well.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=z-TcOb1NKIqA.kbYxMuYzdZPA

T

Todd

Bike is still in pieces, trailer is not set up, haven't cleared it with the boss or the SO yet, no reservations......yup, right on schedule :)

Sorry kids... gonna have to take me out of the Probably Inn.

It's a long story that I hope to tell to you in the Fall... but right now life is a big, long, dark tunnel with no light at the end of it.

Love and Miss You All!

Lone_RT_rider
Sorry kids... gonna have to take me out of the Probably Inn.

Welllllll.....thats CRAP!

/engage TN lawyer kidnapping plan

roadscholar
Todd,

Looking at your ride map for your Thursday ride, are Forge Creek Road and Parson Branch Road paved?

They're dirt/gravel Ron, but not difficult on a GS. Parsons Branch is one way going west and is quite scenic. Also it has I think 18 water crossings but they're (usually) shallow with concrete bottoms so no sweat. The problem is the gate at the Cades Cove end isn't always open so checking in advance is a good idea, it's a long way away to get turned back. Or, when you ride by the Deals's Gap end if that gate is closed you can bet the other end is too.

Thanks Bill,

I was thinking that might be the case with that road. I have an RT and that road looked like it might be fun-if paved.

Getting a new set of tires mounted on my RT this afternoon, so it must be about time to leave for Dillard. Now if only my riding matched the quality of the Pilot Road 4s I'm getting. :P

I'm mounting my new GPS this weekend. Hoping to have time between homework and home projects to give it a test ride.

LESS THAN TWO WEEKS TO GO! :clap:

I'm mounting my new GPS this weekend. Hoping to have time between homework and home projects to give it a test ride.

What you get?

What you get?

I got the zumo 590 ... you know, the new one. The really expensive one with the unbelievably irritating wiring harness that's permanently affixed to the mount. I'm still trying to figure out where best to bundle up all those unused connections (line in, line out, usb power, mic in) with their uncovered jacks (that are sure to corrode over time). Sheesh!

The good news is the GPS itself appears to be well-built, well-designed, has a huge screen that looks good and touch control seems to work well (more on that later). Lots of cool tools (like widgets), very capable BT interface, powerful CPU, can take large SD ram cards, but the best feature for me is .... wait for it ... software that is much more user friendly than the zumo 550 software was.

I'll know better how much I like it after I get to use it on the bike on a trip, but my initial impression is this:

It's a whole freakin' lot of money to have such a miserably designed hard connection interface, which many (if not most) users will never use. Not buyers remorse, but I admit to trepidation given the poor reliability of the 550 (though the 665s faired much better). Again, we'll see.

The 'Spin is in! I'll be arriving Thursday afternoon. I can't wait to see everyone again!

Alright! I've added you to the list (which I'll post later).

Craig, I am sure you will figure it out and then we will all learn from it.

Thank you for volunteering and good luck with the new unit. :wave:

I got the zumo 590 ... you know, the new one.

Did they get rid of the big buttons on the side? I really like having a button (especially + and -) over the touch screen. Just easier with gloves. That's what I noticed the most going from the Streetpilot to the 450/550.

I'm going to cry on the day that my 276c finally dies. It gives me fits from time to time where it won't lock to the satellites, but I've put it through hell and it keeps on going.

I got the zumo 590 ... you know, the new one.

Did they get rid of the big buttons on the side? I really like having a button (especially + and -) over the touch screen. Just easier with gloves. That's what I noticed the most going from the Streetpilot to the 450/550.

Yes they did, there are no hard buttons anymore. Everything is soft. However, on a good note it's very customizable (what "tools" show on the screen) and I've read the touch screen is the best so far, but I can't speak to that yet). There are some cool sw features/tools like curvy roads, the ability to immediate return back to your start the way you came (without fuss). Searching for POIs (gas, restaurants, etc.) along your route (rather than just as the crow flies all around you). Another thing I like is that it boots in just a couple seconds. Well, enough of the review ...

Let's talk bourbon. I'm bringing an Elijah Craig, 12 yr small batch. Anyone else bringing anything tasty?

Let's talk bourbon. I'm bringing an Elijah Craig, 12 yr small batch. Anyone else bringing anything tasty?

this little number...

Basil_Hayden.jpg

provided I can still get one. The first one didn't survive the selection process very long. :thumbsup:

Blind Squirrel

What you get?

I got the zumo 590 ... you know, the new one. The really expensive one with the unbelievably irritating wiring harness that's permanently affixed to the mount. I'm still trying to figure out where best to bundle up all those unused connections (line in, line out, usb power, mic in) with their uncovered jacks (that are sure to corrode over time). Sheesh!

The good news is the GPS itself appears to be well-built, well-designed, has a huge screen that looks good and touch control seems to work well (more on that later). Lots of cool tools (like widgets), very capable BT interface, powerful CPU, can take large SD ram cards, but the best feature for me is .... wait for it ... software that is much more user friendly than the zumo 550 software was.

I'll know better how much I like it after I get to use it on the bike on a trip, but my initial impression is this:

It's a whole freakin' lot of money to have such a miserably designed hard connection interface, which many (if not most) users will never use. Not buyers remorse, but I admit to trepidation given the poor reliability of the 550 (though the 665s faired much better). Again, we'll see.

Craig,

Please consider doing a review of the 590 after you have had a chance to put it through it's paces.

The 'Spin is in! I'll be arriving Thursday afternoon. I can't wait to see everyone again!

Great, we look forward to seeing you there. :clap:

this little number...

Basil_Hayden.jpg

provided I can still get one. The first one didn't survive the selection process very long. :thumbsup:

My go to Bourbon is Eagle Rare. A good price ($30) and it always impresses when I share.

What you get?

Craig,

Please consider doing a review of the 590 after you have had a chance to put it through it's paces.

Will do.

Archived