IGNORED

START 2015 - April 23-26 - Dillard, GA

Kinsley

If so, do you think it's reasonable to plan on riding to East 85th Street Manhattan in one day?

Well, google maps says it's 777 miles, and they estimate about 12.5 hours. Almost all of that is on Interstates 81 and 78. Roadwork is shown in several places, but this is still two months in advance, so I wouldn't take that as gospel. A great deal of that route is how I would be going back to Baltimore so I am familiar with that portion from Dillard to Hagerstown MD. The majority of I-81 is only two lanes per side, not the three lanes a side we get in more populated areas. Some of our folks have had the pleasure of receiving performance awards along that route, and Virginia has draconian laws regarding any speed over 80 miles an hour, even on roads posted for 70 MPH speed limits. These interstates are all at some elevation, and therefore will be somewhat colder to boot.

I guess it all comes back to your comfort level with that kind of distance, at the end of a full weekend of riding (and telling lies, of course). The other thing to factor in, is that if you leave on Sunday morning, you will be out there with all the other folks heading home after a weekend visit to Grandma's house, with some trucks thrown in for good measure.

Glenn

Quick question.

Anybody attending this event from New York?

If so, do you think it's reasonable to plan on riding to East 85th Street Manhattan in one day?

Its certainly possible, but you are looking at an 800 mile day of slab to make it happen......and the worst of that would be at the end of the day, after dark, as you approach NJ and into NYC.

Its basically the same route I take home, but I tend to hop off of 81N near Chambersburg in PA. Going to NYC, you would stay on 81 to Harrisburg and then pick up 78 through Allentown into NJ. Both 81 and 78 are both major interstates with heavy truck traffic, but they also only have 2-lanes of travel each way for most of the trip. So traffic can be a real PITA, especially if there is an accident or poor weather.

Quick question.

Anybody attending this event from New York?

I've never run that exact route, but Google puts it at 11.5 hours coming down I-81. Given that it's difficult to ride on I-81 through VA without getting a speeding ticket (ask OoPEZoO and many others about that), I would say that the most a person could expect to cut off would be an hour ... perhaps an hour and a half ... best case. That is assuming no delays coming out of NY.

Wish I was going to be able to make it down. Got too many things going on this spring that have me away from home. Hope to see you all FART in the fall.

**   Chris   **

I guess it all comes back to your comfort level with that kind of distance, at the end of a full weekend of riding (and telling lies, of course). The other thing to factor in, is that if you leave on Sunday morning, you will be out there with all the other folks heading home after a weekend visit to Grandma's house, with some trucks thrown in for good measure.

Glenn

Good points. Then when I hit the city Sunday night, I have to find a place to park! That may be harder than the ride.

Glenn

Good points. Then when I hit the city Sunday night, I have to find a place to park! That may be harder than the ride.

Free couch to crash on in 17368 if you can deal with kids, an a-hole feline, and a pregnant SO :grin:

It's a pretty easy shot from here to NYC. 30E to 222N to 78E into NJ

**   Chris   **

Glenn

Free couch to crash on in 17368 if you can deal with kids, an a-hole feline, and a pregnant SO :grin:

It's a pretty easy shot from here to NYC. 30E to 222N to 78E into NJ

Thanks! I appreciate the offer. I am still working with my daughter to figure out when she will be there. She is flying home for a wedding that week. One that I have been told I must attend. I will let you know more, when I know more!

I'm still planning on coming, but will be leaving Saturday due to needing to be home to see our grand daughters in the school play.

Anyone have a room they would want to share for Wed, Thur and Fri nights?

I'm still planning on coming, but will be leaving Saturday due to needing to be home to see our grand daughters in the school play.

Understood ... provided there are no emergencies that prevent you from joining us this time. ;)

Understood ... provided there are no emergencies that prevent you from joining us this time. ;)

He was kind enough to ride 400 miles and hand off the bourbon. And then turned around and went home. :wave:

Hey now, don't make me show up and prove you wrong! :wave:

He was kind enough to ride 400 miles and hand off the bourbon. And then turned around and went home. :wave:

Thanks for sticking up for me. Seems like booze covers a multitude of sins. :wave::grin:

Hope you still feel that way when I show up on my new VStrom. :wave::grin:

This time I know in advance I have to leave early. :grin:

Hope you still feel that way when I show up on my new VStrom. :wave::grin:

I was eye-balling a '12 DL1000 at the local dealership about the time I bought the RT. I'm a fan. :thumbsup:

Lone_RT_rider
I-81 sucks.

I hear the Sheriff near Wytheville is surly

I have proof :rofl:

You have more than proof, your starting to build a large enough sample size to give you a 90/90 C/R! LOL

markgoodrich

So, say three or four fellows decided to head to the START instead of to somewhere else, and wanted the best possible back road route from, say, Little Rock to Dillard. Anyone here happen to have a suggestion, perhaps a Googie map route, or even a gpx or gdb route?

I will be posting the Day Rides about a month out from the event dates.

If you PM me with your email address I can send you some Tracks and you can make your own routes in and out of Dillard. I will have Tracks for N GA and Eastern TN, but may not have much west of there.

It's Spring at last! We're pushing upwards of 50. I can't wait to get some miles under me and get out in some warm weather to see you folks.

The routes are coming soon. The group meal plans are being finalized. FYI: This year will be a pay-in-advance scenario and an announcement will follow soon.

i-q6Zwmfn-XL.png

Alright, we're month out, so I've loaded the Day Ride routes for you to download.

I have the file in both GDB and GPX formats, so use whichever works with your software, but in most cases either format would work.

Notes: Receiving Routes From Others

Your maps and preferences may be different than those of the person you received them from, so to be sure you ride the intended route. You must do the following.

Open the GDB or GPX file in your software, then make duplicates of each route (usually a right click will show the option).

Change the color of the Duplicate route (usually double click, then go to “Info” and look there)

Note the mileage, then Re-calculate the Original route. The mileage should stay the same.

If the route mileage is different, look for the color you changed the Duplicate route to. You will need to add a Waypoint or Via point to the Original route to make it match the Duplicate route. Once the two routes are the same, delete the Duplicate route, then load the Original route(s) onto your GPS.

2015 START GDB

2015 START GPX

Put new tires on the Buell today. Also reassembled and adjusted the clutch, reinstalled the top of the motor, and started wiring up the GPS. Waiting on a few more parts, and need to rehang the exhaust. I'm thinking I should wire up my tank bag as well considering I have zero storage possibilities on it. I still have a lot to do, but I'm hoping I can get it road worthy in time to for it to make the trip (on a trailer of course). I don't think I have pliers big enough to remove the seat from my posterior if I chose to ride it down :)

Not sure if rooms are scarce, but I'll be releasing mine in the morning. I put off my ankle surgery which frees me to come, but I think I've decided to sell the RT. I have other itches to scratch. Having too much fun on my new Bonneville T100 and I'm considering adding a CTX700 to the collection.

Enjoyed the FART we shared. Peace.

wheels_zpsv1tla8xf.jpg

Put new tires on the Buell today....

Which Buell? I have had a soft spot for Buells ever since a demo ride at Vintage Motorcycle Days, which included a couple of guys from the East Toledo Hell's Angels chapter, who were the politest people on the demo ride. My all-time favorite Buell was the XB9S, a model that didn't sell well, but I liked the smaller motor, which was revvier, and didn't shake as much as the 1200cc version.

Put new tires on the Buell today....

Which Buell? I have had a soft spot for Buells ever since a demo ride at Vintage Motorcycle Days, which included a couple of guys from the East Toledo Hell's Angels chapter, who were the politest people on the demo ride. My all-time favorite Buell was the XB9S, a model that didn't sell well, but I liked the smaller motor, which was revvier, and didn't shake as much as the 1200cc version.

I picked up a '98 S1 Lightning last fall in a trade. It's about as raw of a motorcycle as you can get. Basically just a motor, seat, and handlebars........and the seat is barely that. It's literally about the same size as one of those Huffy bicycle banana seats. That being said, I put about 100 miles on in before the weather turned and was grinning from ear to ear for weeks. I've spent the winter tearing it down, addressing some known issues, upgrading a few things, and just generally giving a good once over. I can't wait to get it on the road again. I will apologize now for the terrible noise it makes from the exhaust......I won't be making any friends with the "quiet pipes" people. This thing will rattle your teeth out and set off car alarms for miles, but damn it's fun. :grin:

95EA73C6-BCB7-4781-9D74-B162BF5C3C56_zpstrgwikbm.jpg

Not sure if rooms are scarce, but I'll be releasing mine in the morning. I put off my ankle surgery which frees me to come, but I think I've decided to sell the RT. I have other itches to scratch. Having too much fun on my new Bonneville T100 and I'm considering adding a CTX700 to the collection.

Brock,

It's got bags, bring the Bonneville. Or maybe the RT if you still have it. Or the Honda if you get one of those....

-mike

wheels_zpsv1tla8xf.jpg

Wait just a doggone minute. You have a great ride like that and you won't come to show us! What are you thinking.

Owing a Beemer is not a requirement. We only care that you show up, tell lies, pass the bottle and ride.

If I can bring my new riceburner, you are more than welcome with such a classic looking bike that most of us couldn't afford back in the 60's. If you don't show up, we will come and look you up. :wave::grin:

Archived