IGNORED

Blue Ridge Rendezvous - October 10th - 12th

Lone_RT_rider

You're not the only one turning Blue (Ridge Rendezvous) holding their breath.

Almost.

The%20Tick%204.jpg

Does Matt have blue eyes?

:grin:

THAT is PERFECT!!! (and yes, as a matter of fact, he does have blue eyes :grin:)

THAT is PERFECT!!! (and yes, as a matter of fact, he does have blue eyes :grin:)

Shannon, my eyes are up here... ^ :grin: (thanks for noticing just the same!)

I am sooooooooooooooo looking forward to this. So much in fact, I did 1600 miles this weekend to tear up my old tires so I can have fresh ones for the BRR!

I am sooooooooooooooo looking forward to this. So much in fact, I did 1600 miles this weekend to tear up my old tires so I can have fresh ones for the BRR!

I went about it a different way......my tires were getting down there so I decided to replace my clutch and rebuild me transmission. Which is causing me to have my bike completely torn apart for 3+ weeks while I'm waiting for Han's to get his poop in a group and ship me my backordered $5 shim from Germany. That way I can ride down on crappy tires and a newly rebuilt transmission :dopeslap:

Its almost enough for me to say screw it and buy a new bike.

That sucks Keith! I hope you can still get it done in time to ride down there. Heck, ask Dianne nicely and maybe we can ship you her tires since the ones on the RS are holding up pretty well still.

I'm sure I'll have everything back together before then. I spoke with the parts guy at Hammersley on Friday and he said he's expecting the part any day now. He was very apologetic and didn't understand what was taking so long. The part isn't actually backordered.....they are just taking their sweet time getting it here from Germany. It just burns my ass that I've spent maybe 10-12 hours actually working on my bike for this repair, but I've been forced to wait 3+ weeks for parts. Its just plain stupid. If the parts are available, it easily could have been a weekend project instead of a month long project.

Where is that? I would imagine its a complete crap shoot of what dealer has what "in stock" when you are looking for a specific part number and shim thickness.

I know my local dealers don't have squat in stock, so I have just started ordering everything from Hammersley. This is the first thing they didn't have in stock (including a new $500 M97 input shaft). I figured that is what I would be waiting on.......not a $5 shim.

Just a quick reminder about the Saturday night dinner we are having at BRR. We have about 55 people registered for the weeked of BRR itself and only 35 people have made a payment for dinner. If you have not remembered to make the payment and plan on attending Saturday nights dinner, I would ask that you try and get that in very soon as October 4th is the last day I can accept any payment for dinners. :D

Hope to see you there! :grin::clap:

Shawn

Deb and I just got back from a 2230 mile trip to upstate NY and I'm ready to leave for Maggie valley in the morning! Do I have a problem here?

Alan

The first step is admitting...... oh hell.. just roll with it my friend! :)

Shawn

Deb and I just got back from a 2230 mile trip to upstate NY and I'm ready to leave for Maggie valley in the morning! Do I have a problem here?

Alan

You must have gotten lost.

NY is much closer than that. :/

Beth and I will see y'all soon. :wave:

Alan

You must have gotten lost.

NY is much closer than that. :/

Beth and I will see y'all soon. :wave:

So thats why Miss Box (Garmin) keep saying "Recalculating" so much!

Alan

Alright! Enough with this crap. Some of us are supposed to be working right now. How do you all expect me us to do that when ya'll are whining about leaving for BRR?

Get back to work, everyone. Marty's retirement depends on it. :/

Alright! Enough with this crap. Some of us are supposed to be working right now. How do you all expect me us to do that when ya'll are whining about leaving for BRR?

Get back to work, everyone. Marty's retirement depends on it. :/

Hey I resemble that remark!

Alan

Formerly_Capecodbeemer

The Wheels Through Time should be open into Nov. Yes its funky, yes its got fumes from the gas in the tanks,(also has big fans running) yes its sometimes noisy when they crank up some old 1920 something, yes its all american. But if you have an interest in motorhead stuff its worth the walk thru.

381307370_xi4n3-M.jpg

381307642_CeFsr-M.jpg

381307723_cub4z-M.jpg

More Wheels Through Time Pictures Here

Thanks Steve, keep up the good work. :grin:

New car arrived at the dealer yesterday afternoon.

Please work harder. :)

And what exactly have you purchased now?? :lurk:

And more importantly did you buy a spare for me?? :grin:

Joe Frickin' Friday
whoohooo!!!!!! starting to stare at the 10 day extended outlook.

Almost there :clap:

Wet weather sucks, but can be dealt with if need be. However, I'm getting a little more concerned about the availability of fuel. On the news this morning they talked about shortages potentially lasting for weeks.

Any reports from locals? are the shortages in big cities only, or is it gonna be hard to get gas in places like Maggie Valley, Dillsboro, Robbinsville, and Tellico Plains?

I'd hate to get down there and then discover I have to wait in line for two hours every day...

Right now, it's catch as catch can. Often a station will be entirely closed and then when you drive back through the same area an hour later there's a line. How do these people know when a station gets gas? There seems to be plenty of gas in South Carolina so maybe planning a day trip you might make it a point of going across the state line and refueling. It's not that far down from the Blue Ridge Parkway to scoot over from Brevard for instance and go over Caesar's Head State Park and hit a station at the bottom of the hill and come back over. There are several access routes to get to South Carolina to fuel up besides the one I just mentioned. I just can't imagine that we won't have more fuel in two weeks though.

Bruce

It actually got pretty tight in SC over the weekend. About 1 in 6 stations had gas of any sort in Greenville Saturday and Sunday according to my very unscientific observation. I haven't seen premium anywhere in a while.

My normal gas station (admittedly near an interstate) is running about 36 hours between shipments and each shipment of 87 octane is lasting less than 4 hours.

They insist that it is going to get noticeably better today and throughout the rest of the week in Greenville, SC, but I'm not sure what it is like in the outlying mountain areas. I haven't wanted to venture too far out of town. That is the downside of owning a R1100S...tiny gas tank.

David

Thanks Steve, keep up the good work. :grin:

New car arrived at the dealer yesterday afternoon.

Please work harder. :)

And what exactly have you purchased now?? :lurk:

And more importantly did you buy a spare for me?? :grin:

Shannon,

I had no idea you needed a spare! :grin:

Let's chat at MV. See you there.

Wet weather sucks, but can be dealt with if need be. However, I'm getting a little more concerned about the availability of fuel. On the news this morning they talked about shortages potentially lasting for weeks.

Any reports from locals? are the shortages in big cities only, or is it gonna be hard to get gas in places like Maggie Valley, Dillsboro, Robbinsville, and Tellico Plains?

I'd hate to get down there and then discover I have to wait in line for two hours every day...

Gas is much better now in Asheville and in most of the surrounding areas. I don't think it's going to be a problem for BRR. There were no lines on Sunday and most stations had gas. Governer Easley apparently had a chat with some suppliers and magically gas tankers appeared! So, it's not cheap, but it is available.

Sunday I drove from Asheville to the coast of NC....no problems with gas the whole way.

Cheryl

I was wondering about the gas, thanks for the up date..........

Well, lets talk about the gas situation, shall we? I went out at lunch time today in Anderson, SC and no fewer that 5 stations had not gas (4 mile stretch on business 28). I managed to find one that had premium and promptly filled up. I didn't fill up because I was scared of not being able to find gas, but more because I needed it to get home. I am commuting 40 miles each way and the bike had about 40 miles left on it......maybe. So, I believe I have done the right thing by getting gas where and when I could, right? On my way home 2 out of the 5 stations that I had checked earlier in the day and were out, now had gas. The lack of gas in this area is the result of a run on the pumps this past weekend due to media speculation that we would be low on gas (as the link that RTLVR posted surmises). Once people calm down, we should be fine. By the weekend of BRR things should be back to normal.

Shawn

I was wondering about the gas, thanks for the up date..........

Well, lets talk about the gas situation, shall we? I went out at lunch time today in Anderson, SC and no fewer that 5 stations had not gas (4 mile stretch on business 28). I managed to find one that had premium and promptly filled up. I didn't fill up because I was scared of not being able to find gas, but more because I needed it to get home. I am commuting 40 miles each way and the bike had about 40 miles left on it......maybe. So, I believe I have done the right thing by getting gas where and when I could, right? On my way home 2 out of the 5 stations that I had checked earlier in the day and were out, now had gas. The lack of gas in this area is the result of a run on the pumps this past weekend due to media speculation that we would be low on gas (as the link that RTLVR posted surmises). Once people calm down, we should be fine. By the weekend of BRR things should be back to normal.

Shawn

Shawn,

Sounds like the same situation that hit us two weeks ago. The media hyped up a potential gas shortage and folks went insane.......resulting in an actual shortage. Hopefully things will settle down soon!

Cheryl

I would love to come as one of the newest members but I'll be in Germany (with out my ride). On business, hopefully the next event you have I can make it and even help out. Everyone have a good time and ride safe.

Its not called the BRR for nothing........looks to be a balmy 34 degrees in Maggie Valley this morning.

Don't forget to pack the Gerbings and a sweatshirt

Long range forecast indicates about 71 degrees during the day. Just a bit of a chill early and late. Nice riding weather. Here's an informal update on gas in my neck of the woods. I live near Lake Lure and I'm about 35 miles south of Asheville. I only saw one gas station closed and another with only low octane available. Otherwise, about 10 stations that I saw all had gas and no lines. This is good news and doesn't necessarily mean that everything is back to normal but I was heartened to see so many stations back up and running.

Bruce

Please keep the updates coming.

I'd hate to have to buy a GS adventure just to eat some Brats. :grin:

Instead of riding, you could always just hang out under the breezeway drinking coffee with Marty :grin:

Don't drink coffee.

Sorta like Marty. :/

Any other bright ideas chickenman? :grin:

Departing in one week and 6 hours, if all goes well.

See you soon. :wave:

Tim,

Here's the latest from the Asheville newspaper.

"Gas supplies in Buncombe County today remained about the same as Tuesday with an estimated 80 percent of gas stations with fuel.

More gas is expected to arrive here Thursday, Buncombe County Emergency management coordinator Jerry VeHaun said.

"If they come in, then we’ll be in better shape. But so far we’re still holding our own," VeHaun said. "We’re graudually getting some inventory in the ground and that's what we need to do."

Bruce

Lone_RT_rider
Tim,

Here's the latest from the Asheville newspaper.

"Gas supplies in Buncombe County today remained about the same as Tuesday with an estimated 80 percent of gas stations with fuel.

More gas is expected to arrive here Thursday, Buncombe County Emergency management coordinator Jerry VeHaun said.

"If they come in, then we’ll be in better shape. But so far we’re still holding our own," VeHaun said. "We’re graudually getting some inventory in the ground and that's what we need to do."

Bruce

That's good news Bruce, I am getting a bit tired of this.....

chicken_little.jpg

Shawn,

real or not, we just went through this after IKE.

95% of stations to 100% in some areas, no gas.

Lines 1/2 mile long.

People filling up numerous containers in the back of their vehicle.

I spent 3 hours one day getting gas for car and bike.

I understand the theory, but the reality was, get gas or park it because you just didn't know if any was going to be available.

We have most back up and running, not all.

Some only have regular.

Premium goes for $4.19 to $4.49, regular $3.59 to $3.79.

Riding the GT, my range is considerably less than an RT :dopeslap:, my choice, I know. :/

Hope things continue to normalize. :thumbsup:

Just passed 4 stations near my house with gas and no lines. Much better than yesterday. My thought is that it is getting better and should be fine by next week.

Jeez ... I'm more pensive about this news than any worries about no gas. Looks like the Skyway will almost certainly be polluted with traffic.

I know ... whaaaaaaaa! :cry:

I say we go down that way and bust up their party. When they see the ATGATT Ensemble Group they'll know who the posers are right?

Bruce

Joe Frickin' Friday
I say we go down that way and bust up their party. When they see the ATGATT Ensemble Group they'll know who the posers are right?

Bruce

Well, if we're going over there simply to be seen, I guess that answers the question... :/

Archived