IGNORED

Blue Ridge Rendezvous - October 10th - 12th

Lone_RT_rider

I think you just like the reaction you got from Danny ... looks like he's moving in for a big ol' SMOOCH!! :grin:

He loves the sausage... :eek:

Hmmmm, now I'm not sure we are going to be able to make it this weeknd. :eek:

Am in for my first rendezvous.

Matt - I will be arriving Thursday and can help with the cookout Friday as long as it does not involve flames. I don't have the correct tee shirt....

Bill

Excellent news Bill.

You can get a shirt like that in Asheville if your heart desires...

Thanks for the offer to help too. I need all I can get...

I need all I can get...

Keep setting me up like that, & you won't get any for a long time.

Help, that is. :/

You can find me later afternoon Thursday or over breakfast. Heck you might even catch me at the next BMWNEF meeting.

Danny, I appreciate the warning, but you know you could never hit a hanging curve!

Lone_RT_rider

Thanks for posting that Matt. Rainy has helped us put together a pretty comprehensive set of pages that cover most every aspect of this event. There is one specific area I would like to emphasize though that is here....

REGISTRATION PAGE

The page is up and functional and Matt and I would ask that if you are planning on attending BRR, could you please go to this page and fill out any and all information that you feel comfortable giving. Your information will not be posted immediately as the process is somewhat manual at this point, but give us a couple days and it will be posted here.

Thanks everyone! This is already showing some promise of being yet another wonderful event in the Smokies!

Shawn

I just downloaded the MapSource route file and noticed that 4 of the routes use the section of Hwy 80 North of 19E. In this area

N35 56.479 W82 10.808

I was on that road about 4 weeks ago and it was an inch deep in pea gravel and chip seal. We had one bike go down and the rest us us went about 3 mpg to stay upright. It went on for miles in two sections separated by a brief paved section.

Maybe it has been worn off or cleared, but 4 weeks ago it was miserable.

Another route note: The Blue Ridge Parkway is closed between milepost 367 to 355. This is the section between the entrance to Craggy Gardens Picnic area and Mt. Mitchell. Unfortunately a slide undercut the road up there early this year and it's been closed every since. :(

Cheryl

From the Blue ridge parkway web site:

For northbound travelers, exit the Parkway at US 70 East in Asheville, follow to the intersection with I-40 East, and at Exit 86, follow NC 226 back to the Parkway near Spruce Pine.

For southbound travelers, exit the Parkway at NC 226 (Milepost 330.9), follow to I-40 West, and at Exit 55, follow US 70 West back to the Parkway.

The detour is approximately 45 miles in length. This road closure will remain in effect until late spring 2009.

Cheryl,

Is there any other way in to the mount mitchell park?

Mt. Mitchell is accessible via highway 80. From where I am (Asheville) I take 40 west to the Old Fort Exit (70E) to 80 N to the BR Pkwy. Then south on the parkway to Mt. Mitchell State Park Rd.

How's that? Clear as mud?

I think the summit of Mt. Mitchell is still closed for construction of the observation deck......just in case anyone was thinking of hiking up there. Not me though.....I'm going to eat myself silly with Brat's n' Beer. ;)

thanks!

I was thinking of trying to hike up there to see the new deck... maybe it'll be done before the BRR.

I'd like to see it myself. I think it's supposed to be done sometime this year. Gorgeous views from up there!!

Joe Frickin' Friday

Mt. Mitchell State Park Website

The Blue Ridge Parkway is open to Mount Mitchell from the northern access only via highway 80. All southern Parkway access (from Asheville) will be closed into the summer season due to a retaining wall failure. To reach the park from Asheville, take I-40 E. to 70-E at Old Fort. Take 70 to 80-N to the Parkway. Head south on the Parkway to state highway 128 (Mount Mitchell State Park road).

A new observation deck at the summit of Mount Mitchell is under construction, closing the summit area and detouring trails to the summit parking area. The new observation deck is projected for completion in the fall of 2008.

Due to drought conditions, no potable water is available at the Deep Gap and Commissary Ridge backpacking areas. Campers are advised to bring water and adjust schedules to ensure adequate drinking water supplies.

Don't know what's for lunch around Mt. Mitchell, but there's a fine restaurant in the town square of Burnsville (10 miles north of the summit) called The Garden Deli. You have to time it right - they're only open from 11-2 every day - but they've got a nice menu and a nice venue, including outdoor seating if the weather's right. :thumbsup:

Anyone else have any recommendations for good restaurants, either around Mt. Mitchell, or anywhere else our BRR day rides might take us?

Anyone else have any recommendations for good restaurants, either around Mt. Mitchell, or anywhere else our BRR day rides might take us?

The restaurant just below the summit is actually decent. I brought my son there a few weeks back. Looks like they still have a ways to go on the construction of the observation deck. The guy selling water at the top said a Fall completion is optimistic.

Being partial to the name for obvious reasons and not at all put off by a little motorhikeling, I highly recommend the trek to Mt. Craig. It's a beautiful but moderately strenuous hike of about 1 mile that starts from the Mt Mitchell parking lot.

Mt Craig is the 2nd highest Mtn in the east being only 37 ft shorter than Mt. Mitchell. Views from Mt. Craig are spectacular:

The Trail:

158892881_Uc2zD-M-2.jpg

Looking North, I believe.

158894801_EpN3C-M.jpg

Some Cornhead who thought the mountain was named for him! :dopeslap:

158894216_JtMWC-M.jpg

Mitch, one place I'm planning on taking a detour to is Green River Bar-B-Que in Saluda. Absolutely some of the best sliced beef I've ever had. I'm thinking lunch on Saturday.

Green River Bar-B-Que

Lone_RT_rider

Mitch, one place I'm planning on taking a detour to is Green River Bar-B-Que in Saluda. Absolutely some of the best sliced beef I've ever had. I'm thinking lunch on Saturday.

Green River Bar-B-Que

And look Steve, they even have a COUPON!!!

:grin:

Green River Bar-B-Que

In!

Room for one more in that group?? :D

Pete and John,

Are you going to eat, or ride?

If Pete is going to see some roads he hasn't been to like the Cherohala Skyway, it may be difficult to get back there to that BarBQ, much as I'd like to eat there (with a coupon and all).

But, if we head west I'll guarantee you a good Bar BQ meal, eventually. :grin:

Makes no dif to us as we've been over most of the roads and go to these events for the Socializationification anyways. :D

Could plan a route that ended east of Maggie Valley and meet for lunch too, after all, Steve's buying. :/

Tim,

I'm all for seeing what I can see, if I miss BBQ or the Cherohala Skyway, well there's always next time.... I guarantee, this ain't gonna be my last rodeo!!!

Lone_RT_rider

Well, I just dodged a bullet. The new boss was planning a trip to China for us on Oct 1-10th. :eek: Apparently though, the Olympics have added a layer of bureaucracy that requires a letter from the Chinese government stating that its ok to get a Visa (or something like that). This document takes about 6 weeks to get, so I won't be going until late October... :thumbsup::clap:

Since its southern China, it also means that it wont be near as hot. My boss stated that the Chinese city we are visiting is about at the same latitude as Cuba. :grin:

Shawn

Pete and John,

If Pete is going to see some roads he hasn't been to like the Cherohala Skyway, it may be difficult to get back there to that BarBQ, much as I'd like to eat there (with a coupon and all).

Makes no dif to us as we've been over most of the roads and go to these events for the Socializationification anyways. :D

Could plan a route that ended east of Maggie Valley and meet for lunch too, after all, Steve's buying. :/

I am a motorman, eat later, ride first............... :thumbsup:

Pete and John,

Ride to eat, eat to ride!! :thumbsup:

Pete and John,

OK, we'll make a tactical assessment based on wind, weather, and Pete's wallet. :grin:

Pete and John,

OK, we'll make a tactical assessment based on wind, weather, and Pete's wallet. :grin:

10-4, sure will get up with you before we leave.

The Harley guys just beat you here! There were thousands of Harleys at the 'Cherokee Survivor Rally' at the Cherokee Indian Reservation this past weekend. The v-twin Thunder has finally faded from the Valley. Leaves haven't even started turning, yet...be patient!

Archived