IGNORED

START (Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour) Ellijay, GA April 26 - 30, 2023

Indy Dave

Lone_RT_rider
7 minutes ago, wbw6cos said:

Maybe they will post a few routes soon.  :whistle:

William, I believe Dave had said that routes are posted 4 weeks prior to the event.  Since today is Wednesday, I believe we have another 2 weeks until they are posted (6 weeks until the event from today)?  I had to use both hands to count, but I believe that's what I got. :)

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
  • Haha 1

@TEWKS I am ready for some off road adventures.  Just spooned some Anakee Wilds on the GSA.  Where we going?

Going to be in GA this weekend with Bret Tkacs as well.

2023-03-14 13.47.36 (Medium).jpg

2023-03-14 13.47.24 (Medium).jpg

• Like 3

Those tires look ready for an adventure! :yes: 

Here’s one of them. I think you might remember my routes were kinda untested, that making it a big part of the adventure. ;) So, in other words, an impassable road, a dead end, a turn around or two could happen. :dontknow: But yeah, l think we should go find Lonnie and his banjo! :classic_biggrin:

image.thumb.jpeg.658dbd257a8890eaca9d9bef4459a026.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 1

Thanks @Motorhead1977 and @wbw6cos

Perhaps this is a good time to remind everyone about the BackRoad Bumbler Award. We're still receiving nominations from FART for this prestigious award. Please PM me with your stories.

• Like 2

I’m late to the game but am joining in on the fun.  Looking ant lodging now.   Anyone riding down from the NYC/NJ area?   

• Like 3

Never too late :-) 

Some great roads from NJ to GA !!   Enjoy the trip. 

Also,  keep an eye on this thread as many times folks are cancel and room at the host motel open up. 

New guy here, looking forward to Ellijay and riding.  Couple guys will join me for a meandering ride from Zanesville, Ohio to Ellijay getting to START by mid day Thursday.  No highways, no big cities, using the Butler map for some pre-gathering rides.  My friend and I ride each year and have been on most of the roads before, but plan a full, leisurely ride.  

• Like 7
BerettaRacer

One step closer to making it to START.

Rumor has it that if I wave my magic wand and say Abracadabra three times this pile pieces will turn into a viable motorcycle trailer, LOL.

20230319_162045[1].jpg

• Like 2
  • Smile 1
  • Haha 1
Just now, BerettaRacer said:

Rumor has it that if I wave my magic wand and say Abracadabra three times this pile pieces will turn into a viable motorcycle trailer, LOL.

20230319_162045[1].jpg

WOW ... is that the new IKEA motorcycle trailer? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Thinking 1
Motorhead1977

Saaaaaaaayyyy, it looks like were only 37 days away from the official start of START!  Can someone tell me whether I somehow missed any announcement of official START shirt availability?????  My OGB (Old Guy Brain) syndrome is really setting in I fear.  Thank god for GPS so I can still find my way home.

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1
19 minutes ago, Motorhead1977 said:

Saaaaaaaayyyy, it looks like were only 37 days away from the official start of START!  Can someone tell me whether I somehow missed any announcement of official START shirt availability?????  My OGB (Old Guy Brain) syndrome is really setting in I fear.  Thank god for GPS so I can still find my way home.

Well, I happen to know a guy, and their best friend's cousin's ex-mother-in-law knows a guy (who parks for free) who said he overheard a dark and mysterious fella mention that he heard of a ART shirt design that was nearing finalization. But I wouldn't want to be quoted. :classic_ninja:   

• Smile 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thinking 1
1 hour ago, BerettaRacer said:

20230319_162045[1].jpg

I can help you with that trailer. Here’s my advice (help). Put it all back in the box and get a refund. Use the money to buy an electric jacket and some waterproof gear and use your beautiful bike for what it is designed. Your bike will be thankful and reward you with many fun miles (Smiles). 

• Like 2
BerettaRacer
39 minutes ago, Bernie said:

I can help you with that trailer. Here’s my advice (help). Put it all back in the box and get a refund. Use the money to buy an electric jacket and some waterproof gear and use your beautiful bike for what it is designed. Your bike will be thankful and reward you with many fun miles (Smiles). 

Nope. My bike, nor me, were designed, barring emergency, for 800 mi (ea. way) of boring flat roads, only to arrive with worn, flatted circumference tires. Whereas, if towed behind the car, I can have proper heating/air conditioning, good stereo, munchies, and all the camping gear (stove, bbq grill, air mattress etc) necessary for a couple week trip. Now, once at Ellijay, I WILL use my bike for what it was designed.

In Sept, coming down the east coast, from DC area to So Fla, with a few day layover at FART, covering 3200 mi, I had 14 1/2 days of perfect weather. Unfortunately, the last six hrs. took me directly thru the leading edge of hurricane Ian, on with what were by then bald tires. At least that trip had mtns in the upper half. From here (Ft. Lauderdale) to Ellijay is 90% straight, flat and boring.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Bernie said:

+1 Bernie!   I Owned a Kendon Single bike trailer (one of the best motorcycle trailers especially for tight storage) and really bough it should my bike ever be disabled and I needed to get it to or from the dealer.  But one year I decided to trailer up to Americade in Lake George, NY from Charlotte.  It was an unusually hot June and daily temps were around 100 degrees.  The trip went fine and I trailered up to a buddy's home in Katonah NY about 200 miles south of Lake George.  Unloaded the bike, stored the trailer in his garage and covered my truck.  Off I went and returned in about a week.  I then loaded the bike up and began the drive home.  On the way home the weather was very rainy and I was actually more worried about the bike being on the trailer than had I been riding.  In addition with an open trailer the bike get just as dirty and road beaten ( maybe more so) than when riding.  When I got home I resigned to the fact that I would use the trailer for the purpose for which it was purchased, to use in case of emergency.   I did use it one other time when my wife was just getting over the flu and we were headed to the Honda Hoot in Knoxville.  She did not feel like she could ride the 260 miles so we trailered that time but it was only out of necessity. 

Not sure where BerettaRacer lives but for me I find most any backroads to be interesting.  Yes for me there are no "fly over" states and I truly enjoy crossing the US ... well maybe except for eastern Colorado which is the ugliest place on earth.  I can't wait to get to Kansas !!   Other than that one bad spot I find all the other crossings interesting with neat small towns and interesting people.   So I would always opt to ride than trailer but that is just me and I have the time to enjoy the ride.  YMMV 

• Like 1
BerettaRacer
5 minutes ago, RTinNC said:

Not sure where BerettaRacer lives ...... 

Fort Lauderdale, Fl. Home of the straight, flat, boring road, that I've driven more times than I care to count.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, BerettaRacer said:

Fort Lauderdale, Fl. Home of the straight, flat, boring road, that I've driven more times than I care to count.

Ahhh .... yeah ... maybe but if you ride along the coast and take your time that can be an interesting ride and once you are out of the sunshine state you can backroad it through GA.   I have ridden to Key West and I enjoyed it but it is NOT the  "exciting" kind of roads in GA/NC/VA but it's a different kind of interesting 

2 hours ago, Indy Dave said:

Well, I happen to know a guy, and their best friend's cousin's ex-mother-in-law knows a guy (who parks for free) who said he overheard a dark and mysterious fella mention that he heard of a ART shirt design that was nearing finalization. But I wouldn't want to be quoted. :classic_ninja:   

Here's what I will say. . . . There's a good chance that shirts will be available for order very, very soon. To have the shirts printed, and brought to Ellijay in time for START, orders would need to be in by March 30th, and we would need a minimum of 24 shirts ordered. We're likely to have one color available.

• Thanks 1
Lone_RT_rider
6 minutes ago, RTinNC said:

Ahhh .... yeah ... maybe but if you ride along the coast and take your time that can be an interesting ride and once you are out of the sunshine state you can backroad it through GA.   I have ridden to Key West and I enjoyed it but it is NOT the  "exciting" kind of roads in GA/NC/VA but it's a different kind of interesting 

Having been born and raised in another "Land of Flat" (Michigan) I sympathize with his wanting to trailer from Florida.  No matter how he get's there, we'll be happy to have him.  I look forward to meeting you sir. :)

• Like 3
13 minutes ago, BerettaRacer said:

Well I can understand that. I live in N-FL and have to suffer until I get to the GA State line before I start to enjoy myself. 
But maybe this would be opportunity to make a DIY write up for other aspiring trailer friends and post in the DIY section. Take some pictures, it will be interesting reading during a bad weather layover. I hope to see you at START. 

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, Indy Dave said:

Here's what I will say. . . . There's a good chance that shirts will be available for order very, very soon. To have the shirts printed, and brought to Ellijay in time for START, orders would need to be in by March 30th, and we would need a minimum of 24 shirts ordered. We're likely to have one color available.

Dave if you announce the base color of the shirt, I am sure we could get a pre-order list going, regardless of what you decide the final design of the shirt is. I think most people trust you with your choice of designs. :4607:

• Like 2
Lone_RT_rider
2 minutes ago, Bernie said:

Dave if you announce the base color of the shirt, I am sure we could get a pre-order list going, regardless of what you decide the final design of the shirt is. I think most people trust you with your choice of designs. :4607:

Dave. that's going to be chartreuse, right? :3:

3 minutes ago, Bernie said:

Trying to nail that down now. :lurk:

• Like 1
Lone_RT_rider
4 minutes ago, Indy Dave said:

Trying to nail that down now. :lurk:

Dave, just take Henry Ford's quote as inspiration.  "You can have any color you want, as long as it's black". :)

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Lone_RT_rider said:

Dave. that's going to be chartreuse, right? :3:

A Chartreuse Micra-bus??

• Haha 1
Motorhead1977
14 minutes ago, Bernie said:

Bernie, spot on on the trust the design of any shirts from Dave.  Put me down for a total of 3 shirts. 2 shirts in XL and one in XS (if possible) or a small if that's the minimum sizing.  :18:

• Like 1

This is the 9th concept. The design will change in a few ways - BBR should be BRR (Blue Ridge Rendezvous). 

I'll withhold the other changes until I see them. :stir:

If you feel the need to make suggestions, please do so via PM, so we do not hijack this thread into oblivion.

THIS IS NOT THE FINAL CONCEPT!

1833484854_ARTShirtConcept9crweb.thumb.jpg.f8a75d0cca0cb0d78b38fa3424bbb3b8.jpg

• Like 3
  • Plus 1 1
  • Thanks 1
Motorhead1977

Most excellent.  Dave, thanks in advance for all your work on these.  I've been the Shirt Guy before for some other groups I'm in and it's Yeoman's work for sure.  Can't wait to see the real thing.

• Like 1
Lone_RT_rider
27 minutes ago, Indy Dave said:

This is the 9th concept. The design will change in a few ways - BBR should be BRR (Blue Ridge Rendezvous). 

I'll withhold the other changes until I see them. :stir:

If you feel the need to make suggestions, please do so via PM, so we do not hijack this thread into oblivion.

THIS IS NOT THE FINAL CONCEPT!

1833484854_ARTShirtConcept9crweb.thumb.jpg.f8a75d0cca0cb0d78b38fa3424bbb3b8.jpg

B R R Dave..... Blue Ridge Rendezvous.  

• Like 1
Lone_RT_rider
40 minutes ago, RTinNC said:

HA ... any color except BLACK .... and hoping for a long sleeve version :19:

Always the contrarian..... 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Lone_RT_rider said:

B R R Dave..... Blue Ridge Rendezvous.  

I think I said that :4315:

• Haha 1
Lone_RT_rider
1 minute ago, Indy Dave said:

I think I said that :4315:

Yep... you did. My apologies.... I'm trying to work at the same time obviously. My bad..... Now, does that turbo on this engine really need seals to hold pressure?  :3:

1 minute ago, Lone_RT_rider said:

Yep... you did. My apologies.... I'm trying to work at the same time obviously. My bad..... Now, does that turbo on this engine really need seals to hold pressure?  :3:

Not if you turn it fast enough. :3:

• Haha 1
On 3/10/2023 at 10:58 AM, Indy Dave said:

Hang tight, the best and brightest among us are hard at work . . . (run for your lives!)

20170930_091144.thumb.jpg.499b09d5a73b0595ace2730e671922b8.jpg

Please submit a caption for this photo! Best caption will win a prize at START!

But it's right there on the Canadian model!

• Like 1
  • Smile 2
  • Haha 1

Here's what the back will look most likely look like. Note the 20 year old RT and current bike.

A couple of the BBR's will be on the road doing some ReCon staring tomorrow, so stay tuned. 

1503755450_ARTShirtConcept11-justtheback.thumb.png.908b65e31f45397b6252b241fe8d9f16.png

• Like 7
  • Plus 1 1
RandyShields
8 hours ago, Indy Dave said:

Here's what the back will look most likely look like. Note the 20 year old RT and current bike.

Looks nice.  I will be on the list for one.  Question though -- I don't remember HelenNBack being a series like El Paseo or the BRR.  I thought it was just a unique name for the Helen, GA destination once or twice.  Any feedback on this observation?

• Like 1
RandyShields
19 hours ago, BerettaRacer said:

Curious, what make/model trailer is that?

Good afternoon. Myself (Sammy Groover) and at least one other (John Carroll) are coming to START '23.

We are currently booked at the Budget Inn nearby. Will revise if possible (host hotel cancellations) or needed (better hotel becomes available).

Looking forward to riding and hanging out with you all...

Sammy

• Like 6

I want a shirt.  XL.  Long Sleeve if available.  Whatever color/design Dave comes up with.  Where do I send the wampum??

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 1
terryofperry

The routes are coming together quite nicely, we have two BBR brave souls scouting them as we speak. We are whittling it down from this: :3:

4757877DC97849CFA9A4D08247817C8C.thumb.png.5e6b1d7bba5f446929148f5bc0c8fb2e.png

To this: :18:

CBD1E3C6BF8747D2950ADD407817648C.thumb.png.dca2197f90a6d6c6b3e2ab77b6a5f0c7.png

We are also making progress on the shirt front, scouring the lands far and wide for the best fabric available:

IMG_3998-1024x768.thumb.jpg.fa95034518dc0b84a15ff3a0a38835c1.jpg

As you know, quality takes time, soon folks, soon.

Terry

• Like 3
  • Smile 1
  • Haha 2