IGNORED

START (Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour) Ellijay, GA April 26 - 30, 2023

Indy Dave

On 4/17/2023 at 7:25 AM, Lone_RT_rider said:

Before every one of these events without fail at this time, someone posts the weather and scares the newbies half to death. I thought it might make sense and try to head off that effort this time by saying that the weather forecast below will change a minimum of at least a DOZEN times before Wednesday of next week.  Pack gear for rain, but never count on it.  It's the mountains, the forecast can and will change on a daily basis. 

So many great memories from "bad weather" ARTs...remember Asheville?  Forecast be damned!

Two weeks ago, I participated in the Bessemer Police Dept's Law Enforcement Torch Run for the Special Olympics.  Over 200 riders had registered for the 40-mile ride from Tuscaloosa H-D to the Bessemer airport.  Saturday morning came with temps in the mid-40s, steady rain, and a random bolt of lightning here and there.  Out of 200, TWO of us showed up!

I felt like the president, with a dozen motorcycle cops clearing the interstate, another 15 or 20 law enforcement vehicles following, all for me and a guy on an Ultra-Glide.  :cool:

image.thumb.png.5fd8f26cc8eeaeef10410f3e4dfcf140.png

• Like 10
  • Smile 2
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, Id's_OK said:

So many great memories from "bad weather" ARTs...remember Asheville?  Forecast be damned!

Two weeks ago, I participated in the Bessemer Police Dept's Law Enforcement Torch Run for the Special Olympics.  Over 200 riders had registered for the 40-mile ride from Tuscaloosa H-D to the Bessemer airport.  Saturday morning came with temps in the mid-40s, steady rain, and a random bolt of lightning here and there.  Out of 200, TWO of us showed up!

I felt like the president, with a dozen motorcycle cops clearing the interstate, another 15 or 20 law enforcement vehicles following, all for me and a guy on an Ultra-Glide.  :cool:

image.thumb.png.5fd8f26cc8eeaeef10410f3e4dfcf140.png

I remember Asheville, that was my first ART.

Thanks for continuing the tradition of showing up, and not just for the ARTs.

• Plus 1 1
46 minutes ago, Bernie said:

Ashville was wet?:3:

Bernie, the first memory I have of you, is looking out my hotel window about 7:00 a.m. to a downpour. And seeing this crazy person in a yellow arrow stitch ride by room, solo, on his motorcycle. After I went back to bed, and then had breakfast much later at the cracker barrel, I mentioned this to some other people.

And they identified you immediately.

• Smile 1
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, Indy Dave said:

Bernie, the first memory I have of you, is looking out my hotel window about 7:00 a.m. to a downpour. And seeing this crazy person in a yellow arrow stitch ride by room, solo, on his motorcycle. After I went back to bed, and then had breakfast much later at the cracker barrel, I mentioned this to some other people.

Well, I did make a lasting impression. If it was good or bad is up for debate. The ride that day was very memorable. I remember going north on BRP,  the road was completely covered with colorful, wet leaves. It was like magic. I had a nice cup of coffee and a talk with the lady at the Little Switzerland Book&Coffee shop. Great memories!

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Indy Dave said:

HA .... that would be my decision as well!   Happy to ride in the rain when no other choice  but riding just to ride in the wet?   Nope I'll take a pass on that one 

• Like 3

Hey just checking to see who might be arriving on Tuesday?   Thinking of riding down a day early in the DRY as opposed to the WET on Wednesday.

I know Boxflyer will bet there. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, RTinNC said:

Hey just checking to see who might be arriving on Tuesday?   Thinking of riding down a day early in the DRY as opposed to the WET on Wednesday.

I'll be arriving Tuesday.  Coming down from Crossville, TN.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, RTinNC said:

I am here now and till Saturday. 

• Like 1

I'm afraid I'm out.  I messed up my back, and there's no way I can ride down there.  I just cancelled a one bed room.  I'll try again in September.

• Sad 3

We'll miss seeing you, Burt. 

Just a heads up - for those of you in other hotels, I just spoke to the Stratford, and they had two or three rooms available.

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
BerettaRacer
4 hours ago, Id's_OK said:

Just a heads up - for those of you in other hotels, I just spoke to the Stratford, and they had two or three rooms available.

Yeah, I called Stratford a few hours ago and got a room Wed - Sun.

• Like 2

I had hoped to make it but I for the first time but I am out too. I don't really know any of ya'll, but I am sending my representative Ed Apelian to make up for my absense :grin:. I canceled my room reservation too so there is at least one more free room.

• Sad 3
21 minutes ago, CowboyJim said:

I had hoped to make it but I for the first time but I am out too. I don't really know any of ya'll, but I am sending my representative Ed Apelian to make up for my absense :grin:. I canceled my room reservation too so there is at least one more free room.

I tried to convince Cowboy to ride up with me a day early in the DRY!   I am losing faith in the "Charlotte Crew".  :4317:

• Haha 1
25 minutes ago, RTinNC said:

I tried to convince Cowboy to ride up with me a day early in the DRY!   I am losing faith in the "Charlotte Crew".  :4317:

Be patient, they will come around to your way of thinking and riding. Just make sure they know you are having a blast. :18:

• Like 1

Well Mr Ed, being a freshly minted retired guy changes everything. It allows me to be a "fair weather" rider ::grin:. I LOVE the North GA mountains both on and off road but prefer dryer conditions (having end-of-life tires on my GSA is a big negative). Coincidentally, my friend Rodney and I stayed at the Stratford last June while riding the Smokey Mountain 500 dual sport route. We retreated to the motel just as the second thunderstorm of the day was about so soak us! I do fondly remember the BBQ place across the street where we had breakfast. It was very good and quite filling. I am sure you will know the name of the nice waitress by the time you return ;-) 

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, CowboyJim said:

Well Mr Ed, being a freshly minted retired guy changes everything. It allows me to be a "fair weather" rider ::grin:. I LOVE the North GA mountains both on and off road but prefer dryer conditions (having end-of-life tires on my GSA is a big negative). Coincidentally, my friend Rodney and I stayed at the Stratford last June while riding the Smokey Mountain 500 dual sport route. We retreated to the motel just as the second thunderstorm of the day was about so soak us! I do fondly remember the BBQ place across the street where we had breakfast. It was very good and quite filling. I am sure you will know the name of the nice waitress by the time you return ;-) 

Yes…. And being retired also allows you (me) to leave a day earlier as I too prefer stay dry..   I too am for the most part a fair weather rider when at all possible  Tomorrow looks nice and dry.  After that who knows but I’ll be with 100 or so BMWs and if it rains I will get my we’ll deserved chill time to chat with other riders , get farkle ideas, read my 2 new magazines cover to cover, read the book I brought, check out the 2 coffee shops in town and enjoy some real social media the old fashioned way.  One of my most memorable trips with my late buddy Ron was a rainy 3 day weekend in Helen GA.  He taught me how to smell the roses.  And if the sun comes out bam I get to ride.  

Life is an adventure and it’s what you make it.  As Bernie said I’ll keep you posted on what a blast we’re having. 

I too have tires close to the end hence the reason I’m hoping to ride dry tomorrow. 

Enjoy!! 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Burt said:

I'm afraid I'm out.  I messed up my back, and there's no way I can ride down there.  I just cancelled a one bed room.  I'll try again in September.

So bummed Burt, I know you are too. I hope your back gets better. @CowboyJim Sorry my friend - we will look for you in ********, ** for FART ;)

The BBR's have been hard at work, scouting roads (aka having a blast on those back, BACK roads, in an undisclosed location) , while @Bernie and @Boxflyer hold down the fort and twist wrenches in Ellijay. The various puzzle pieces will continue to come together tomorrow and Wednesday.

Speaking for the scouting team,  @twistyguy led @marcopolo and me today and we pulled down a couple hundred miles, while @terryofperryand @60Aviator went off in another direction. I couldn't help but think repeatedly (as I was leaned over, about to switchback) "if this isn't nice, what is!?" It was that kind of day for both scouting teams. @terryofperry said at dinner . . ."two roads we rode today were good, the other 6 were GREAT!"  And that's clean living!

We were joined by @Bitter Printer tonight, so he'll be put through the paces tomorrow,

We look forward to seeing all of you - we are hitting the road again in the morning - doing the dirty work we love so much. :bike::bike:

Routing is NEVER done! (BTW, that's a digital air pressure gauge).

20230424_184320.thumb.jpg.6ae4749da7b98a30dd9787eae346c166.jpg

20230424_203920.thumb.jpg.5cf070d83cfcf8d7e71f672eca8593fc.jpg

20230424_205907.thumb.jpg.b5167eb7e2dfa432c9940afce91a1551.jpg

• Like 9
Bill Murray

Guys, I have decided to cancel due to the forecast. I'll own it -- I'm a fair weather rider. A room is now available if anyone is looking to stay at the hotel. @Indy DaveI'll send you a PM to arrange for payment for the T-shirts I ordered and to see if you can send them to me when you get back home. Hoping you guys get a break with the weather. Ride safe!

• Sad 1
4 hours ago, Bill Murray said:

Guys, I have decided to cancel due to the forecast. I'll own it -- I'm a fair weather rider. A room is now available if anyone is looking to stay at the hotel. @Indy DaveI'll send you a PM to arrange for payment for the T-shirts I ordered and to see if you can send them to me when you get back home. Hoping you guys get a break with the weather. Ride safe!

Sorry to hear about your decision to stay home but fully understand.  Hopefully we'll get to see you in the fall.  Assuming Dennis will also be staying home?  

Dave...

RandyShields
3 hours ago, F16Viper68 said:

Sorry to hear about your decision to stay home but fully understand. 

With 5 days of rain in the forecast, my guess is you won't be the last to bail.

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, RandyShields said:

Hello @RandyShields.  Just to be clear, Ron and I will be there.  :)  @Bill Murray has decided (probably wise) to sit this one out.  

• Like 1
  • Smile 1

Susan and I are still coming.  Got the toyhauler hooked up will put in the bikes tomorrow morning and head out with the dog.  Worse case we sit in camp and vegetate.  

1 hour ago, RandyShields said:

Forecast is sketchy so looks like weather will be sporadic.  You never know about mountain weather.  Ride down today was great.  Probably 20 or so guys here.

• Like 2

BUT,  there is a percentage in the forecast that it won't rain.  :yes:

My outlook is like my blood type:  B+

:thumbsup:

• Like 3
roadscholar

Weather related story going to a motorcycle rally. In September '04 I'd decided to attend the RA Nat. Rally at Canaan Valley Resort in WV on my '01 GS. Everyone knew Hurricane Ivan had just rounded (and pounded) the Keys and was headed north toward the Appalachians and beyond, I set out from Jax with black skies to the south and the plan of out running it. Great weather to Cashiers (big hurricanes give their victims warning with a kind of electricity in the air, it's exciting and foreboding at the same time). Next day once down the mountain black skies again to the south, stopped at the Silva Walmart for some waterproof boots, 20 bucks.  Partly Interstate but rode plenty of small roads paralleling both sides of 26 and 81, ie it took longer than I planned which included watching a nice 80's Firebird burn to the ground on the side of the road. Stopped at a small log cabin restaurant on the wonderful hwy 33 at closing time, 9pm, she fired the grill back up for a burger and some fresh veggies grown right out back. The husband built it for her and was a retired forest ranger and engineer that helped build the Blue Ridge Parkway, great folks.

Now it's 10 and negotiating the last 30-40 miles to CVR and noticed a loaded K bike pulled off on the shoulder so stop to see what's up. Nice guy just rearranging his gear, he's semi local and planned on camping at the rally. Remind him there's a hurricane likely tomorrow and my room had another bed, he took me up on it. Next day we got a 6-7 hour ride in before it cut loose, he knew where all the good roads were. The next two days it poured and blew non stop, 150 riders hunkered down mostly in the main lobby watching a big screen TV with radar from the weather channel. Sunday morning was clear and crisp for the ride back south on more backroads including sneaking onto a closed section of BRP with a couple downed trees and debris scattered about, just what this bike was made for. Moral of the story, it was one of the more memorable motorcycle trips I've taken, you never know what can or will happen, whenever there’s a lousy forecast there's nearly always a silver lining (and then some).

• Like 7

I forget which ART, but morning was pretty cold and wet.  The location had some carport area's.  We moved about 5 of our bikes into the area (I think I had my Tuono then) and basically we had ad-hoc 4 hour tech day.  One of the best non-riding times at an ART in my memory.  It is what you make of it.  Now I will say for me, riding up and back in the rain is the worst.  I can adapt/adjust to bad weather at the event, but being forced to ride in the rain to the event or home is the worst.

Lone_RT_rider
11 hours ago, roadscholar said:

Moral of the story, it was one of the more memorable motorcycle trips I've taken, you never know what can or will happen, whenever there’s a lousy forecast there's nearly always a silver lining (and then some).

That's absolutely been the case with me too Bill. I can't think of any of my trips where I had inclement weather and regretted being there. Heck, even the trip coming back from Torrey in 2011 where I-70 turned to a two track at 10K+ feet coming through Vale became a story I've told sooooooo many times. :) 

This is why I'm about to roll out of the driveway in the rain and traverse through Metro Atlanta. :18:

• Like 1

Well, I won't be there til Friday morning now, but I will try to get there early to catch a ride with someone who doesn't mind being slowed down by me. I rode only two trip last year. Two.

Looking forward to at least a brief visit with fantastic peeps and two day rides. 

Cheers!

Edit: I'm now staying at the Sratford.

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 1
RichEdwards

Any kind of dinner planned for Saturday night? We have just arrived in our place in Blairsville and it might be nice to ride down to Ellijay and see some faces I haven't encountered in years. My last BMWST.com event was about 8 years ago. (And Saturday's weather looks good.)

• Like 2

Hello. You are certainly more than welcome to stop by and visit, there is no group meal activity planned for Saturday evening. For the most part, people will be making their dinner decisions on their own and they'll be plenty of socializing in the parking lot before and after. You are more than welcome to stop by and visit.

Thanks

• Like 2

Hey Adventure Riders, wannabe Adventure Rides, an RT rider that mistakenly mounted some Shinkos. :dontknow: :classic_biggrin:

A couple, maybe a few of us are going to adventure out on some dirt roads to find a Fire tower. Why? Why not! :yes:

I can’t send the mapping so it’s going to be a follow the guy in front of you kind of ride. 

10:00 am depart time.

about a 130 of untested miles. 

It’s not going to be anything ridiculous because I’ll recalculate.

Anyway my legal counsel said to make sure they sign a waiver (kidding) but motorcycling can be a hazardous sport.

Maybe see you in the AM! :thumbsup:

crude map

F75F54AE-A25B-4B56-AE0C-E622547C3336.thumb.jpeg.c881b5426c1a0bd3963961a04a5b768a.jpeg

• Like 3
9 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Hey Adventure Riders, wannabe Adventure Rides, an RT rider that mistakenly mounted some Shinkos. :dontknow: :classic_biggrin:

A couple, maybe a few of us are going to adventure out on some dirt roads to find a Fire tower. Why? Why not! :yes:

I can’t send the mapping so it’s going to be a follow the guy in front of you kind of ride. 

10:00 am depart time.

about a 130 of untested miles. 

It’s not going to be anything ridiculous because I’ll recalculate.

Anyway my legal counsel said to make sure they sign a waiver (kidding) but motorcycling can be a hazardous sport.

Maybe see you in the AM! :thumbsup:

crude map

F75F54AE-A25B-4B56-AE0C-E622547C3336.thumb.jpeg.c881b5426c1a0bd3963961a04a5b768a.jpeg

I am local here and have been out on these forest roads. Pretty reasonable for big bikes, but you will have some slick mud in these conditions. Once you get to Bear Creek overlook, a couple more switchbacks and you get to the top of the ridge. There is a long flat area that will be very slick mud and pretty challenging for a heavy bike. These guys were riding the SM500, and had just come across that ridge. Just an FYI. Good luck and be safe.

20220911_165106.jpg

20220911_165238.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, Toter said:

There is a long flat area that will be very slick mud and pretty challenging for a heavy bike

Toter, the roads were exactly as you described. I think one of them was called Pucker Parkway. :classic_biggrin: Thanks for the advice/warning I should have taken.

image.thumb.jpeg.421c7c9149dedcb6472a6ecd1ae2de16.jpeg

• Like 3
roadscholar
3 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Thanks for the advice/warning I should have taken.

But then you wouldn’t have had any fun, besides there’s no mud in the spark plug holes so that’s a win : )

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Toter, the roads were exactly as you described. I think one of them was called Pucker Parkway. :classic_biggrin: Thanks for the advice/warning I should have taken.

image.thumb.jpeg.421c7c9149dedcb6472a6ecd1ae2de16.jpeg

Hey looks like you stayed rubber side down, that's an accomplishment in that slop.

• Like 2

Just want to send my thanks to Dave and the entire BBR group for once again hosting a great event.  I had a blast.  I had toyed with cancelling because of the predicted weather but so happy I made the trip.   Riding down Tuesday and home yesterday were 2 totally dry great 300 mile days.  And got a nice day ride in on Friday.   In addition the 2 rain days proved to be a lot of fun as well, watching Brad work his magic and helping whenever possible.  Heck I even learned some stuff and got a tip on some cool tools I will be ordering. 

I understand and truly appreciate the work it takes planning these events ... scouting out hotels, arranging food, getting additional tables and chairs and heck even providing water and snacks.  Oh and thanks Brad for getting me hooked on Bugles :-(   Lastly,  thanks to everyone who attended as I had some great conversations with some great folks!   Be safe on your trips home !! 

286592?$bjs-Zoom$

• Like 4