IGNORED

START (Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour) Ellijay, GA April 26 - 30, 2023

Indy Dave

23 minutes ago, Indy Dave said:

I forgot to mention, there's a new sheriff in town for START. Note the START logo/ bike color coordination (for @marcopolo ):bike::bike:

IMG_20230415_095608936_HDR.thumb.jpg.334a5745eabee9b1c2c29e9378111703.jpg

Nice !!  And love the matching "riding shoes" !   Some red shoe laces would make them perfect. 

Congrats! 

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 1

ATTENTION!!! NEW ADDITIONAL RAFFLE FOR TIRES--- TO BENEFIT CANCER RESEARCH

I have a new posting on this thread:

All Things Boxflyer in Ellijay - Check here for Parts, Tires, Service, Scheduling, Questions! 

Please follow this link to get all the details of this new Raffle for Tires.

https://www.bmwsporttouring.com/topic/106135-all-things-boxflyer-in-ellijay-check-here-for-parts-tires-service-scheduling-questions/?do=findComment&comment=1137542

Brad 

Boxflyer

roadscholar

Just a heads up for anyone interested, a new automobile museum recently opened in Cartersville, not too far from Ellijay. The Savoy Museum, among a bunch of other stuff there's a temporary Porsche exhibition celebrating 75 years.

https://savoymuseum.org/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Yeah, I saw that a few months ago when I was coming back from Rome.  I have forgotten about it since.   Thanks for the reminder; I need to go check it out one day.

• Like 1

MORE---MORE---MORE!

Additional items have been added to the Raffle to raise money for the FIGHT AGAINST CANCER!

Please see this information about the NEW items donated by @TSConver and @MikeB60.

https://www.bmwsporttouring.com/topic/106135-all-things-boxflyer-in-ellijay-check-here-for-parts-tires-service-scheduling-questions/?do=findComment&comment=1137568

Thanks for the support of this worthy cause.

Brad 

Boxflyer

• Like 2

Friday Night Raffle Additions

We have added a few new items to the list of items to be Raffled off on Friday night.

Please see this thread for more details.

https://www.bmwsporttouring.com/topic/106135-all-things-boxflyer-in-ellijay-check-here-for-parts-tires-service-scheduling-questions/?do=findComment&comment=1137599

Thanks for all the support....see you in a few short days!

Brad

Boxflyer

• Like 2
Lone_RT_rider

Before every one of these events without fail at this time, someone posts the weather and scares the newbies half to death. I thought it might make sense and try to head off that effort this time by saying that the weather forecast below will change a minimum of at least a DOZEN times before Wednesday of next week.  Pack gear for rain, but never count on it.  It's the mountains, the forecast can and will change on a daily basis.  

Whatever you do, don't base any plans of any forecast you might be looking at this far in advance! :4322::4607:

THIS IS NOT THE FINAL FORECAST! :3:

image.thumb.png.32fe6f28660d9f1aa038cf92a3c74eda.png

• Like 2
  • Smile 1
Motorhead1977
On 4/12/2023 at 3:54 PM, TyTass said:

As a newbie (for START) all I can offer is that we have been going to the Smokey Mtns/Appalachian Mtns at least once every year for over 15 years and have learned that other than a cursory look at the weather we never base our ultimate plans on the forecast.  When my wife worked in the broadcast TV business a meteorologist colleague of hers used to say, "we're in prediction NOT production".  That's how he justified their dismal accuracy percentages. :3:We'll have a great START.  Only 7 days till we arrive.  Is it time to leave yet?????

• Like 2
Bill Murray
On 4/12/2023 at 6:35 PM, Bernie said:

But it is interesting that Garmin remembers that they created a program called BaseCamp.

Indeed! Been a long time since we had a BaseCamp update. Wonder what prompted this....

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, wbw6cos said:

Hey Shawn, my weather prognosticator, @terryofperry has good luck on calling it.   He will be along to tell us what to expect.  :grin:

I suggest to pack rain gear, electric jacket and cold weather gear and your light weight spring outfit. Don’t forget the sunscreen. :4617:
PS: I suggest the Canadians should pack their swim trunks. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Well boys, I can tell you I made it 5 mi leaving Austin today and had to pull over to start to de-layer. 1200 mi to go to Indy, time to get busy! :revit: :revit:

@R.Mills and snappy D Garrity have a half day's head start.  We're anxious to get back to the Hoosier to load up to head to START.

And of course the ///M  XR 😉

• Like 3
  • Thinking 1
Lone_RT_rider
22 minutes ago, Indy Dave said:

I'm curious to see what kind of expletive's you come up with when describing the seat on that bike.  I sat on one once and just doing that caused pain.  :4607:

• Thinking 1
6 minutes ago, Lone_RT_rider said:

I'm curious to see what kind of expletive's you come up with when describing the seat on that bike.  I sat on one once and just doing that caused pain.  :4607:

I think the XR is part of the GS family? GS riders don't sit on their bikes, they normally stand (around) on it all the time.

• Haha 1
56 minutes ago, Indy Dave said:

leaving Austin today

Was nice meeting you guy's in Austin.  Hope your enjoyed the event and your time in the area.  Ride safe.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Skywagon said:

Was nice meeting you guy's in Austin.  Hope your enjoyed the event and your time in the area.  Ride safe.

Enjoyed meeting you and your friends. Hope to see you out our way sometime.

20230414_162346.thumb.jpg.fe20a366b7de58b0e3dadae83ba51f8b.jpg 

• Like 3

Well, six days out for Dave (F16Viper68) and I to start our trek north to Ellijay.  Since it is only a six hour ride up from Tallahassee, we are going to stop at the Warner Robins Museum of Aviation  https://museumofaviation.org/ to check out the aircraft on display.  My RT should be ready to go after having the valves checked, spark plugs replaced, fluids changed and topped off, new battery, and replaced the halogen low beam bulb with a LED.  All that is left to do is check the tire pressure, and make sure I have tools and rain gear packed.  Looks like we might need some cold weather gear as well, last time I looked.  Clothes packing will be last minute, but I am ready to get this show on the road.  

• Like 6
On 4/17/2023 at 11:00 AM, Indy Dave said:

Well boys, I can tell you I made it 5 mi leaving Austin today and had to pull over to start to de-layer. 1200 mi to go to Indy, time to get busy! :revit: :revit:

@R.Mills and snappy D Garrity have a half day's head start.  We're anxious to get back to the Hoosier to load up to head to START.

Well - before we get back to business! Snappy Don Garrity and r.mills  - having left after the race to get some miles out of the way, could afford to maintain a more leisurely pace vs Yours Truly who was staying the night in Austin after the race and making the return trip in 2 days. I got a late start (again) on Monday, and by days end, try as I might, we were separated by 200 miles by Oh' Dark Thirty Monday Night. Tuesday, despite running into a bridge out,  somehow - unplanned - we managed to cross paths at an intersection in Franklin, IN! We were both stunned as I waved and rode on by (remember - these guys NEED their beauty Sleep, so they slept in!).

We finished the trip the same way and on the same back roads we started on. Seemed quite fitting. The RT had been ridden hard and put away wet pretty much all trip, as I had work delays that kept me in the hotel each morning on our way down to TX, way past kickstands up time.

So last night - First things First, I gave Cami a full 12K service and she's ready to go to START!

• Like 6
terryofperry
7 hours ago, Ron-M said:

Well, six days out for Dave (F16Viper68) and I to start our trek north to Ellijay.  Since it is only a six hour ride up from Tallahassee, we are going to stop at the Warner Robins Museum of Aviation  https://museumofaviation.org/ to check out the aircraft on display.  My RT should be ready to go after having the valves checked, spark plugs replaced, fluids changed and topped off, new battery, and replaced the halogen low beam bulb with a LED.  All that is left to do is check the tire pressure, and make sure I have tools and rain gear packed.  Looks like we might need some cold weather gear as well, last time I looked.  Clothes packing will be last minute, but I am ready to get this show on the road.  

@Ron-M Have you been to the Aviation museum before?

Terry

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, wbw6cos said:

Meh, no cord showing.  (amateur)

Ya, weak man, that's just weak, that's throwing away good money right there:grin:

And that blue toy will buy alotta tire spoons---I've actually thunk of getting one like that, but they haven't gone on sale under $100 yet.

20230420_165918.thumb.jpg.6c3399fe57943baa58525cbb2568138d.jpg

• Smile 1
  • Haha 1
BerettaRacer

The new trailer went out for it's first, loaded, test run. A few easy city miles, then a build up to interstate speeds. Smooth and steady up to 75mph. After about 10 mi. pulled into a local spot, did bearing and tie down check, all's well, then back to the barn while I do some other prep. Plan is to leave So Fla Tues morning. haven't booked hotel yet, but I see Mtn View has room avail., looks like it's only few hundred yds away.

20230418_124252[1].jpg

20230418_124309[1].jpg

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 1
16 hours ago, terryofperry said:

@Ron-M Have you been to the Aviation museum before?

Terry

Terry,

No. I have never been to the museum.  I have passed in many times, but I have never stopped in.  Looking forward to it.

Heading out in an hour to start my trip to the START.  Stopping off in Crossville, Tennessee for a few days to help out my MIL with electronics.  Looking to be wet and cooler on the way down.  Today in Michigan, the high 60s.  Saturday the 40s.  See you there.

• Like 2
terryofperry
1 hour ago, Ron-M said:

Terry,

No. I have never been to the museum.  I have passed in many times, but I have never stopped in.  Looking forward to it.

@Ron-M Do you mind sharing your route to the museum? We can go PM if you want.

Terry

You might be getting old (no offense) (joke) when you trailer your Beemer to an event. You might be getting old and senile when it takes you forty-five minutes to untangle your straps and secure the bike! :16:
image.thumb.jpeg.4bae9e760b28542a1ce57eac0cf376e4.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Thinking 1
Motorhead1977
3 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

You might be getting old (no offense) (joke) when you trailer your Beemer to an event. You might be getting old and senile when it takes you forty-five minutes to untangle your straps and secure the bike! :16:

And even older when you ask your 40 y/o neighbor to help you load your RS onto the trailer and into the Condor wheel chock! :old:

• Haha 1
  • Thinking 2
50 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

You never sent me those routes @TEWKS

33 minutes ago, TSConver said:

You never sent me those routes @TEWKS

I know, sorry. So, (don’t laugh) my computer where I built the routes (on mapSource) is so old, I lost the ability to connect to the internet. Probably a thousand & one ways to fix it but… :dontknow: I packed my Garmin cable, figured if you had a computer we could transfer the routes off my Nav at the hotel.

Motorhead1977
5 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

I know, sorry. So, (don’t laugh) my computer where I built the routes (on mapSource) is so old, I lost the ability to connect to the internet. Probably a thousand & one ways to fix it but… :dontknow: I packed my Garmin cable, figured if you had a computer we could transfer the routes off my Nav at the hotel.

I'll have my laptop at the hotel and am happy to help out if needed.

• Thanks 1
34 minutes ago, wbw6cos said:

Or Bluetooth the routes.  :dontknow:

Now you could tell me that I can AirDrop them and I’d believe you, until proven otherwise. :rofl:

Appreciated @Motorhead1977 :thumbsup:

• Haha 1

** ADMINISTRIVIA ** 

Once again, I offer my sincere appreciation to one and all for your patience while waiting and waiting (and waiting) for timely START updates! You veterans (well, MOST of you :spittake: ) know the routine and go with the flow. We have several new riders joining us, and they have been just as patient. Long, long ago, (in a galaxy far, far away), 3 of the BBR's committed to go to the MotoGP, which was last week. My "no visible means of making a living" (insert spousal laugh) typically doesn't interfere in Moto Activities (some might even say any other activities), but that was not the case this time. Extensions and extensions meant I was working while on the road, and had a mountain of work to catch up on before leaving for START. Thank you all for your silent suffering.

A BIG Thanks again to Bob's Motorcycles - BMW AND Ducati dealer (Formally Bob's BMW) for their support of our events. Thanks to @Motorhead1977 who arranged for Sunblocker to provide their product for prizes; the Bumbling BackRoad Riders™  and Boxflyer. Thanks also to @RTinNC, @toddfjc, @MikeB60 and @DBULL  for their donations! 

It's almost time to Depart for START! See you all soon! Be sure to stop by the awning when you arrive to check in, get details, look at maps, get a water, GPS help and to pick up your shirt and name tag (if you ordered them).

prizessponsorsV1.thumb.jpg.79f7649758ff227ebdb2e04db74d9077.jpg

Yup! That's the Nearly World Famous Bumbling BackRoad Riders™ caught acting (mostly) normal:

scheduleofeventsinprogressfinalR2.thumb.jpg.869057ee64c8362790242be6310f78e2.jpg

• Like 6
  • Plus 1 1
  • Thanks 1
Lone_RT_rider

Ummm... For the ARTs? 

We had 144 for the first BRR at the Maggie valley inn. Of course, after staying in the MVI that number dropped a bit. :4907::3:

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

9 minutes ago, Lone_RT_rider said:

Ummm... For the ARTs? 

We had 144 for the first BRR at the Maggie valley inn. Of course, after staying in the MVI that number dropped a bit. :4907::3:

I didn't want to say this out loud, but since you brought it up . . . 

Look how long it's taken us to recover!  :read:  :old:  :ohboy:

• Like 1
  • Smile 1
  • Haha 2
John Ranalletta
14 hours ago, Indy Dave said:

I didn't want to say this out loud, but since you brought it up . . . 

Look how long it's taken us to recover!  :read:  :old:  :ohboy:

The demographics are problematic as some of us on the right side of the curve give up riding, but I'm seeing younger folks showing up at ARTS and UNs.

@Indy Dave's proactive support, work and enthusiasm havemade a huge, positive difference.  Thanks, Dave and BBRs, volunteers, @Boxflyer, @Bernie,etc.  It's a huge effort that bears fruit becuase it's a labor of love.  Sure as hell, nobody's in it for the money and likely, the organizers are "out of pocket" occasionally.

• Like 6
  • Plus 1 1

Well folks....I wish I was with you at the coming event.  Hopefully next year.  If Indy Dave and crew come back to MotoGP in Austin next year, I might ride back with them.  Retirement affords me lot's of free time. I couldn't make it this year due to other committments.

For those of you at START.  Have a great event.  Ride Safe.  Post pictures with names when you can so we know who you are.

Boxflyer...you are one special dude.

Oh yeah and once more....be safe folks.  Tewks isn't bringing enough band-aids for all you guys.

• Like 7