IGNORED

START (Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour) Ellijay, GA April 26 - 30, 2023

Indy Dave

Hi there,

I'll most likely commute either Wednesday or Thursday and for now have booked for Friday & Saturday. Look forward to seeing everyone again. Thanks to the organizers. Nikki :)  

• Like 6
5 minutes ago, Kenikki said:

Hi there,

I'll most likely commute either Wednesday or Thursday and for now have booked for Friday & Saturday. Look forward to seeing everyone again. Thanks to the organizers. Nikki :)  

It’s always so good seeing you at these events and taking the great photos of us old guys.

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
  • Smile 1
On 10/21/2022 at 7:53 AM, Indy Dave said:

Joe - We're looking forward to having you join us!  :clap:

@greiffster - We missssed you at FART, thanks for squeezing us into your very busy week for START!

@Lone_RT_rider Great to have you back, Shawn!

@KaTooM Can't wait to hear what happens on THIS trip! :lurk: :wave:

589089300_start2023whosgoingcurrentoct21.jpg.eac693e94e27d27a43e80442b4e399a6.jpg

Haha! I’m bring spare parts… and the checkbook! 

• Haha 1

I'm in! I live 23 miles from the hotel. I also have a Weaver tire changer, Marc Parnes balancer, Harbor Freight lift table, BMW tools, and a GS-911. Looking forward to the event. Pretty much in my backyard.

• Like 3

I'll get caught up on the thread when i get home - been out taking care of some ART business and riding the great roads of @twistyguy 's back yard. And let's fact it, no one needs an excuse to ride these roads.

Leaving the Flatland's (posted originally in another thread)

20221030_075702.thumb.jpg.01260f623ea5bbe2e9626848e70a2bd1.jpg

20221030_165658.thumb.jpg.0a4774ce7a70b40367f31e176243bbf0.jpg

20221031_100449.thumb.jpg.bf96bd27bca9c85156139f1bce50570d.jpg

20221101_120436-2.thumb.jpg.c70cd6266d3802d0c5268700ba7e040a.jpg

Back to the Flatlands . . . .

• Like 8
7 hours ago, Lone_RT_rider said:

Ummmm.... huh?

He had a bike issue at Natural Bridge and came away with a New Bike!

It was a story of extremes today....

Do NOT park for free!

20221102_155111.thumb.jpg.24d7ddd38c246e8b1601c9caf813d989.jpg

And 6 miles from my exit... Park for Free! :87:

20221102_184618.thumb.jpg.cd6a2256c578b2a7535350677dba6bc8.jpg

• Haha 2
6 hours ago, Indy Dave said:

Do NOT park for free!

20221102_155111.thumb.jpg.24d7ddd38c246e8b1601c9caf813d989.jpg

Frustrating for sure....was that dawn or dusk?  :facepalm:

Motorhead1977

In! We're (me (Tom) and my wife Amy) arriving Tuesday afternoon checking out Sunday. Reservation made. First timers for START. We enjoyed the Unrally this year and really looking forward to the event.  Woo hoo.

Edited by Motorhead1977
adjusted arrival date
  • Like 4
On 11/2/2022 at 6:40 PM, Indy Dave said:

Do NOT park for free!

Isn't filtering allowed in Indiana? 

• Sad 1
BlimBlamSmashySmash

I'm all booked in for the 4 nights.  Seems you guys beat me to the punch with the non-smoking king size bed.  So how does it work?  Are there lots of different excursions, one big group going out?  Is there pavement and dirt riding?

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, BlimBlam said:

I'm all booked in for the 4 nights.  Seems you guys beat me to the punch with the non-smoking king size bed.  So how does it work?  Are there lots of different excursions, one big group going out?  Is there pavement and dirt riding?

NO large single group rides.
We all show up at the hotel
there are evening social events, but other than that it is up to the indivduals
many riders already have groups, usually 3-5 per group
Newbies are known, and in general experienced event riders make sure to invite a newbie to ride along

IF no one invites you, or you do not hook up, I always have a spot for a newbie.  I am slow, but I am slow, so that is good :-)
Preplanned, preridden routes will be posted.  the routes are always awesome

Yes there are dirt routes, pavement routes, and dirt/pavement route option.

Many other members will chim in

• Like 4
Motorhead1977

@randy" I am slow, but I am slow, so that is good :-)" That's good to hear. I'd describe my riding as"relaxed", especially when riding 2 up so we'll have to introduce ourselves. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

It’s been a while but I’m back in the US now after 14 years working in Afghanistan and the UAE.  Melissa and I plan to come up to say hi on a couple of the days if I am here - we only live an hour away.

Take care,

Steve

• Like 7
Lone_RT_rider
1 hour ago, SteveHebert said:

It’s been a while but I’m back in the US now after 14 years working in Afghanistan and the UAE.  Melissa and I plan to come up to say hi on a couple of the days if I am here - we only live an hour away.

Take care,

Steve

@Jake .... in case he's not aware

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How about a suggestion on early arrival areas to stay? My top three at the moment are Maggie Valley, Little Switzerland and maybe another stay in Blairsville. :dontknow: 

Thanks for any advice!  :thumbsup:

Maggie Valley Creekside Lodge is very nice!!

Little Switzerland Inn and Big Lynn Lodge both get positive feedback in Little Switzerland.  Never stayed at those 2 but loved the ART event at Creekside Lodge.  That would be my choice.

• Plus 1 1
  • Thanks 1

Pat,

If I remember right, last time you came south, Blairsville, you staged at the Little Switzerland area prior, and I also remember you were in Maggie Valley for one of the Arts.  Waynesville is a good suggestion and gets my vote as well.  Waynesville is a great area with good restaurants within walking distance of the Oak Park Inn.   I stayed there last year.  Very basic and clean older motel owned by motorcycle friendly folks who are good people.  If you have not been there, why not try something different.  

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 2
  • Thanks 1
19 minutes ago, Ron-M said:

Pat,

If I remember right, last time you came south, Blairsville, you staged at the Little Switzerland area prior, and I also remember you were in Maggie Valley for one of the Arts.  Waynesville is a good suggestion and gets my vote as well.  Waynesville is a great area with good restaurants within walking distance of the Oak Park Inn.   I stayed there last year.  Very basic and clean older motel owned by motorcycle friendly folks who are good people.  If you have not been there, why not try something different.  

AND last time I Was there a new bakery opened up right in front of the Oak Park Inn.  It was killer and some of the folks from the bakery that used to be downtown Waynesville (forget the name) are the folks who opened up this one.   That alone was worth the trip. 

• Like 3
  • Plus 1 1
Lone_RT_rider

Sure.... it's a good bakery and there are lots of good places to eat there in Waynesville. We were just there a couple of weeks ago.  

But.......

SDC10311.JPG

• Plus 1 1
  • Smile 1
4 hours ago, Lone_RT_rider said:

SDC10311.JPG

I will check out Waynesville for sure BUT that is one magical view and I’m so glad you guys introduced it to me! :thumbsup: (UNrally)

• Like 1
Lone_RT_rider
2 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

I will check out Waynesville for sure BUT that is one magical view and I’m so glad you guys introduced it to me! :thumbsup: (UNrally)

Fun Fact: That pic that I just posted was from the original scouting trip for that Un-Rally.  That was the day we made the decision to try and go there for Un-Rally 10. :)

• Like 2

I rode thru that area a little over a month ago.

I just fail to see the interest in Maggie valley, been there a few times, doesn't do anything for me. And the run thru Cherokee to get to Bryson City is just plain terrible. The whole area is just something you tolerate to get to the Dragon/Cherohala. Just me YMMV.

Roads around Little Switzerland were good but that part of parkway was shutdown for some construction when I went thru, detour around, and I was in kind of a hurry so didn't stop.

11 minutes ago, BerettaRacer said:

I rode thru that area a little over a month ago.

I just fail to see the interest in Maggie valley, been there a few times, doesn't do anything for me. And the run thru Cherokee to get to Bryson City is just plain terrible. The whole area is just something you tolerate to get to the Dragon/Cherohala. Just me YMMV.

Roads around Little Switzerland were good but that part of parkway was shutdown for some construction when I went thru, detour around, and I was in kind of a hurry so didn't stop.

Honestly I have never had any issues in Maggie Valley and while there is not much IN Maggie Valley other than Wheels Through Time,  Maggie Valley is a very convenient centrally located location to get to other interesting places.   And as noted the Creekside Lodge is really nice and walking to a couple restaurants.   That being said we usually stay in Waynesville so that we have access to the town, pubs, restaurants, etc.   Maggie Valley is more sparsely populated.   Both are nice and depends on what you are looking for. 

• Plus 1 1
13 hours ago, BerettaRacer said:

I just fail to see the interest in Maggie valley,

Yeah, it's a bit landlocked.  Waynesville is easier to navigate to other locations and, as mentioned above, has a number of very good restaurants to choose from.

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
2 hours ago, RandyShields said:

Yeah, it's a bit landlocked.  Waynesville is easier to navigate to other locations and, as mentioned above, has a number of very good restaurants to choose from.

And did I mention a bakery :3:

• Haha 1
Lone_RT_rider
2 minutes ago, RTinNC said:

And did I mention a bakery :3:

Which is a deficit for some of us that fight a daily battle to keep their L/D < 1. 

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, Lone_RT_rider said:

Which is a deficit for some of us that fight a daily battle to keep their L/D < 1. 

Yup ... and THAT is a battle most of us have.  Hence as most things in life is the need for moderation.  I get coffee every morning at Dunkin and only 2 times a month do I treat myself to a donut. 

And the older we get the harder it becomes. 

• Like 1
Lone_RT_rider
3 minutes ago, RTinNC said:

Yup ... and THAT is a battle most of us have.  Hence as most things in life is the need for moderation.  I get coffee every morning at Dunkin and only 2 times a month do I treat myself to a donut. 

And the older we get the harder it becomes. 

And some of us can't even do that. Moderation doesn't work for everyone. 

6 minutes ago, Lone_RT_rider said:

And some of us can't even do that. Moderation doesn't work for everyone. 

Then Creekside Inn in Maggie Valley is probably a better option.   Less temptation there and nicer lodging.