IGNORED

START (Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour) Ellijay, GA April 26 - 30, 2023

Indy Dave

Lone_RT_rider
2 minutes ago, RTinNC said:

Then Creekside Inn in Maggie Valley is probably a better option.   Less temptation there and nicer lodging. 

There's very little temptation at Little Switzerland Inn. They have many healthy options at both of their restaurants. :)

2 hours ago, Lone_RT_rider said:

There's very little temptation at Little Switzerland Inn. They have many healthy options at both of their restaurants. :)

Hey I love the Little Switzerland Inn and the apricot turkey sandwich!    Count me in.  Not sure about the lodging but have heard good things about both the Inn and the Big Lynn Inn,.

Options abound in the NC mountains to meet just about every need. 

A belated WELCOME @Robert conley, @Motorhead1977 & Amy and @BlimBlamSmashySmash! We're glad to have you joining us! While :bike:Indy Robert :bike: has been with us for the The Un and FART last year, this will be his first START! :clap::revit:.

And welcome back @Kenikki, @F16Viper68, @Ron-M, @scout6, @Toter, @ERdok!  The BBR™ Team wishes all of you a Happy and Safe Thanksgiving. The weather looks warmer for us in Indiana next week, so at least one ride will be in order. We hope you all get a chance to get out and ride as well.

1192033424_start2023whosgoingcurrentNov19R1.jpg.340c883312f1815ec155ee92733e21c9.jpg

• Like 5
Motorhead1977

We are really looking forward to it as well. My good friend and next door neighbor just ordered a '23 R1250RS. I've asked him to come along so I'm hoping he'll register for START as well. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Motorhead1977 said:

We are really looking forward to it as well. My good friend and next door neighbor just ordered a '23 R1250RS. I've asked him to come along so I'm hoping he'll register for START as well. 

WOW ... my dealer said the RS's won't be in stock for awhile ... but hopefully he'll have his by April.  I really like the 2023 RS and can't wait to see one in person. 

Motorhead1977

He's buying from MAX BMW in Brunswick NY and they indicated possible February delivery! Optimistic I think but ......... one can hope. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Long time rider, First time at this event... Newbie?

Looking  forward to it. Love riding in the area.

I booked a room at the Stratford today, unfortunately it is a "Smoking" room. they are out of non-smoking.

-George (from Indianapolis)

• Like 4
5 minutes ago, G.Nolan said:

Long time rider, First time at this event... Newbie?

Looking  forward to it. Love riding in the area.

I booked a room at the Stratford today, unfortunately it is a "Smoking" room. they are out of non-smoking.

-George (from Indianapolis)

Welcome George! :clap::wave:

On 11/19/2022 at 7:08 PM, Motorhead1977 said:

make sure and let him know, new bikes are available for test rides by all Board members who are active prior to Jan 1, 2001 :-)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thinking 1

Newbie Russ Mills (Indianapolis) member with the INDY BMW club is signing up for the 2023 START event.

New to BMW events but not to motorcycle riding.

Have booked a reservation at the Stratford Hotel.

Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Thanks,

Russ

• Like 3
40 minutes ago, R.Mills said:

Newbie Russ Mills (Indianapolis) member with the INDY BMW club is signing up for the 2023 START event.

New to BMW events but not to motorcycle riding.

Have booked a reservation at the Stratford Hotel.

Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Thanks,

Russ

Russ is no 'newbie'! I chased him all day today on his XR :bike:

And Russ is tough! Russ spent the day riding with a MESH jacket - the temp was about 40 when kickstands went up this morning!  :stir:

Glad to have you, RUSS! :beer:

1319671192_20221123_1122131.thumb.jpg.5b74f38ef9d6bdfc6d7c8724641af41b.jpg

• Like 4

I'm going to keep this ride on the back burner for now, it will have to be a last minute decision. Planning an extended cross country drive (car) and Rockies ski trip Feb.- March. Have to see what condition I'm in after that, if I have any knees (or money) left, lol. 

• Like 3
On 11/22/2022 at 11:30 AM, Motorhead1977 said:

Yep, we had such a great time at the Un this year it sealed the deal to sign up for the 2023 START.  :yes:

We loved having you and Amy at the UN, glad you're returning for round 2!!

On 11/22/2022 at 12:51 PM, DBULL said:

Another Newbie

Dave Bullock arriving Thursday, leaving Sunday

Looking forward to this

Dave - Welcome! Looking forward to meeting you :clap:

With the addition of these three, plus Russ, Indy Rich,  Indy Don - and BerattaRacer - it's time for a slide redesign. Hold your horses and eat some Turkey. We have our BEST people on it! :ohboy: :rofl: :whistle: :ohboy:

• Like 1
  • Smile 2
1 hour ago, David said:

I'll be there! Probably stay in the RV at that new RV park, but it's close to the hotel.

What new rv Park?  We will be in our toy hauler as well.  Link please. 

On 11/25/2022 at 8:44 AM, David said:

I'll be there! Probably stay in the RV at that new RV park, but it's close to the hotel.

I have been looking at Talona Ridge RV Resort If this is where you end up, is it ok for me to come by and look at the establishment?

Looks like "62" are in with a few debating.  Just wondering what's the largest number at any ART gathering.

The participation seems to be growing :18:

• Like 1

I see that I am listed in the 'going' page as DBULL.  So glad that I made it.  It does appear that I am a 'host.'   So, as a newbie, not sure what that means.  It could be that I clean every windshield after the days riding?  Detail the dirtiest bike?  Make sure the covers are on the bikes at night?  Planning to be around for Thursday-Sunday, so let me know if you would prefer Plexus or Lemon Pledge for your shield.  Trusting that my son can join with his 07 RT.  

Dave

• Like 1
  • Smile 2
28 minutes ago, DBULL said:

I see that I am listed in the 'going' page as DBULL.  So glad that I made it.  It does appear that I am a 'host.'   So, as a newbie, not sure what that means.  It could be that I clean every windshield after the days riding?  Detail the dirtiest bike?  Make sure the covers are on the bikes at night?  Planning to be around for Thursday-Sunday, so let me know if you would prefer Plexus or Lemon Pledge for your shield.  Trusting that my son can join with his 07 RT.  

Dave

Looking forward to meeting you and your son, Dave. It looks like on my last update, I promoted several 1st timers to Host positions :14:

Not to worry though, the mandatory bike washing and headlight changing (on all hex and camhead RT's) doesn't START until your second event! :16:  :rofl:

I'll add your son and move you both to the arriving on Thursday group.

• Smile 1
57 minutes ago, Indy Dave said:

the mandatory bike washing and headlight changing (on all hex and camhead RT's) doesn't START until your second event

Wait a minute, I resemble that remark!!!!!

• Haha 2

@twistyguy and @TEWKS

Hey Pat and Pete we going to plan some water adventures for the trip?  Pat and I did Charlies Crossing i think it was called last year in that area and it was a blast.  Would be fun to do another ride like that this coming event.

Any other ADV riders want to get wet?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TSConver said:

Hey Pat and Pete we going to plan some water adventures for the trip?

Peeking at google maps, there looks like a lot of places to get lost just north of Ellijay! :yes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Finally made our reservations! Room availability is getting a bit tight, in case anyone is still fence-sitting.. 

So that will be two of us, Keith & Cyndy, arriving on Wednesday for the duration (hopefully no emergency early departures this time..)

• Like 6
On 11/16/2022 at 8:01 AM, Ron-M said:

Pat,

If I remember right, last time you came south, Blairsville, you staged at the Little Switzerland area prior, and I also remember you were in Maggie Valley for one of the Arts.  Waynesville is a good suggestion and gets my vote as well.  Waynesville is a great area with good restaurants within walking distance of the Oak Park Inn.   I stayed there last year.  Very basic and clean older motel owned by motorcycle friendly folks who are good people.  If you have not been there, why not try something different.  

In Waynesville, just a couple of blocks from The Oak Park Inn is The Chef's Table.  You won't be disappointed unless you just don't like good food and service.

The STAR is The Chef's Table, 30 Church St.

The big O is The Oak Park Inn.  You can do it on foot and won't be sorry.

Kandi's Cakes and Bake Shop is UNDER the main office of The Oak Park Inn.  "Can't miss it!"

image.thumb.png.7409dc25cdce413eeb552f64415adbe0.png

The Oak Park Inn (From Ed's post above):

image.thumb.png.91285e5fd086cc9f0b649614471d1a8d.png

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, Lowndes said:

In Waynesville, just a couple of blocks from The Oak Park Inn is The Chef's Table.  You won't be disappointed unless you just don't like good food and service.

The STAR is The Chef's Table, 30 Church St.

The big O is The Oak Park Inn.  You can do it on foot and won't be sorry.

Kandi's Cakes and Bake Shop is UNDER the main office of The Oak Park Inn.  "Can't miss it!"

image.thumb.png.7409dc25cdce413eeb552f64415adbe0.png

Ya'll need to quit advising Pat where to eat and point him in the direction of a gym during his stays south.;)

• Haha 5
2 hours ago, Rougarou said:

Ya'll need to quit advising Pat where to eat and point him in the direction of a gym during his stays south

Funny you say that. You remember Mitch, he’s a yogurt…um yoga guy. He found a class during last year’s START and I told him, I’d give it a try if he finds one this spring. 

Doesn’t look that difficult. :dontknow:

image.jpeg

• Haha 6
Bitter Printer

I am planning on attending the START this year as well.  Is there a form that I should submit?  The hotel was sold out, except for smoking rooms, so I booked at the Comfort Inn.

I am looking forward to exploring the area with some new like-minded folks!

Happy holidays to all!

Andrew

aka the Bitter Printer

• Like 4
  • Plus 1 1

@Bitter Printer. Hi Andrew, glad you're going to come join us. There is no formal submission form, we just asked that people let us know that they're coming and what day. Later on they'll be an announcement about a group meal that you'll also need to sign up for.

You of course are more than welcome to stay at another hotel, however the group experience really happens after the riding is finished  and everyone interacts on site in the parking lot. 

Looking forward to seeing you. 

• Plus 1 1
12 hours ago, Bitter Printer said:

I am planning on attending the START this year as well.  Is there a form that I should submit?  The hotel was sold out, except for smoking rooms, so I booked at the Comfort Inn.

I am looking forward to exploring the area with some new like-minded folks!

Happy holidays to all!

Andrew

aka the Bitter Printer

Welcome Andrew!   If you keep an eye on this site many times closer to the date of the event there are cancellations and you may be able to land a nonsmoking room.  But I too wound nit want to endure a smoking room.

• Plus 1 1
40 minutes ago, SEMPERFIURAL said:

Wife and I planning to attend - looking forward to this - first timers. 

Doug & Tami

Welcome! We are thrilled to have you both join us! 

• Like 1

I found out about this rally and can't wait to join y'alI! I plan to arrive Wed. and leave Sat. I just made reservations and they are almost out of rooms! 

• Like 7
John Ranalletta
8 minutes ago, CowboyJim said:

I found out about this rally and can't wait to join y'alI! I plan to arrive Wed. and leave Sat. I just made reservations and they are almost out of rooms! 

Newbies bring bourbon and cigars.  Thems the rules.  Welcome.

• Haha 1
  • Thinking 1
1 hour ago, CowboyJim said:

So glad you’re in Jim!!

looks like we may have a few CAT’s (Charlotte Area Tourers) :18:

• Like 1
1 hour ago, CowboyJim said:

Fantastic!   Glad you could join us.  For anyone asking whether this newbie knows what he's doing, just check out his cross-country ride report on ADV.com

2022 Cross Country Western Canyon - US Four Corners | Adventure Rider (advrider.com)

Nice to get another quality rider into the fold.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, RandyShields said:

Fantastic!   Glad you could join us.  For anyone asking whether this newbie knows what he's doing, just check out his cross-country ride report on ADV.com

2022 Cross Country Western Canyon - US Four Corners | Adventure Rider (advrider.com)

Nice to get another quality rider into the fold.

Yes ... Jim's ride report was a true masterpiece!   He may be new here but he is quite an experienced rider and writer :thumbsup:

• Like 1
1 hour ago, wbw6cos said:

Per John, he is still required to bring bourbon and cigars.  Just sayin'

:grin:

Oh yes …. That’s right Jim.  Even though you wrote a masterpiece your being a first timer does require bringing bourbon…. Happy to help you make your selection.  

Sorry can’t help with the ceeegars!

• Haha 1