IGNORED

The Official 2014 College Football Thread

tallman

Ouch, the 'Noles got quacked but good. Glad to see the game has brought out a few members on this thread though. I'm sure that loss satisfied a whole bunch of hungry. No Heisman curse today, no siree.

Pulling for the Buckeyes for game #2 tonight, but it looks like they have their hands full.

Oregon played great taking advantage of every opportunity and we sure gave them plenty.

:clap:

Its ok Jake.

Florida and Miami have lost 25 times since we last lost a game.

:grin:

We'll be back.

They'll be doing what they've become so good at...

AngstalertWhineoneone.gif

again, congrats to the Oregon team and fans.

Good luck, you played like champions.

Well, despite Urban Meyer's clock mismanagement, the Buckeyes defeat 'Bama.

Well done.

3rd string QB.

Early season loss.

And horror of horrors, SEC will not win the national title this year.

:rofl:

I can live with 29-1.

:thumbsup:

I have to steal Matt's thunder on this, but there's plenty of other material out there he will have fun with.

But in the Spirit of Good Sportsmanship, this gave me a chuckle...

B6TuBHCCMAAFdp-.png

That's the thing, we can celebrate our victories, mourn the loss, and move on.

Even have a laugh or two.

29 wins in a row in the college game today is a marvel.

Some have nothing to cheer for , and ugly uniforms to boot.

Go Noles!

That's the thing, we can celebrate our victories, mourn the loss, and move on.

Even have a laugh or two.

29 wins in a row in the college game today is a marvel.

Some have nothing to cheer for , and ugly uniforms to boot.

Go Noles!

I think the plastic feather thingys on their uniforms make the ducks hard to tackle :rofl: I am so happy that FSU lost. Period. I really, really, really despise that team. Always have, even before I really chose to be a gator fan in the 80s. I always hated FSU. All the media attention on the loose nut under center made it worse.

I honestly don't have much interest in the game other than casually hoping my ex wife's team gets beat. Nothing to root for, only against. Kind of like modern politics. As for me, I'm hoping to see my Gators be the only team in Florida to win their bowl game over East Carolina. I'm glad they're still playing this season, even though I'm really looking forward to next year with our new coach!!!

In the spirit of having some fun with this, I found these guys on facebook last night and enjoyed them.

IMG_74286304583675-M.jpg

Screen-Shot-2015-01-01-at-8.42.20-PM.png

Screen-Shot-2015-01-01-at-8.40.20-PM.png

Well, despite Urban Meyer's clock mismanagement...

His name is Urban?!? His parents must have hated him. :cry:

SEC will not win the national title this year.

My favorite memory of the year just past, well, after my divorce. :rofl:

As for me, I'm hoping to see my Gators be the only team in Florida to win their bowl game over East Carolina.
Those losers got into a bowl game? Which one, the AIG/Congress "We only accept losing records" Bowl played in BFG, North Dakota?

They were both great games, but for different reasons. At a season average of over 47 points a game Oregon was destined to wipe-out OR flame-out against FSU. What most people outside the Pac12 didn't realize how much Oregon had improved on defense (not that 28th overall was great). Ohio State defeated Alabama the old-fashioned way and with a 3rd string quarterback. Close game, poor time management by the Alabama coaches in the 4th quarter.

I'm just happy to see that conferences outside the SEC and ACC are relevant and competitive after all. It speaks well for this playoff format.

Although not having an SEC or ACC champion may hurt the ratings this year, bringing the Pac12 and Big10 back into the thick of the fight bodes well for college football support in the rest of the country.

But I'm just one voice from north of the 49th parallel who thinks proper football only has 3 downs (thought I would beat Matt to that one).

Mike Cassidy

But I'm just one voice from north of the 49th parallel who thinks proper football only has 3 downs (thought I would beat Matt to that one).

Mike Cassidy

Guess the polar bears took the 4th one?

:rofl:

Illinois ranks 109 in total defense and 94th in total offense.

Football? Illinois spends it's effort trying to have a really average basketball team. :grin: We still had Butkus and Grange.

I have to disagree. We really don't want to be average. Mediocre is good enough. :grin:

Top SEC West teams post 0-5 record in bowl games this year. Applying ESPN simplistic analysis it is obvious that the SEC West is the worst division in all of college football.

GO BUCKS!

Top SEC West teams post 0-5 record in bowl games this year. Applying ESPN simplistic analysis it is obvious that the SEC West is the worst division in all of college football.

GO BUCKS!

Yet the lowly east was 5-0. it's wash, we are still better than your conference.

:rofl::dopeslap:

GO BUCKS!

Yet the lowly east was 5-0. it's wash, we are still better than your conference.

:rofl::dopeslap:

Uh yeah National Championship Game B1G vs. Pac-12 ;):lurk:

GO BUCKS!

Roll Tears Roll!

20150101_195509.jpg

When Urban left UF and became a talking head he went to Oregon (when Kelly still the coach).

He was given access to film breakdown/keys/routines/etc.

Now that he is back coaching, he has integrated much of what he learned in Oregon into OSU.

Many similarities.

I don't think that there has ever been a year where three teams ranked #1 lost bowl games.

But w/out a doubt, the SEC myth has broken down.

On any given day...

Didn't see it, (there was a good movie on Hallmark Channel) but I hear the Gators managed to survive that powerhouse East Carolina to win a bowl game.

Definite jump start to next season so they ought to be able to win 7-8 games again.

Congratulations.

On any given day...

That's the real message.

Yeah, I'm sure you were in a crying mood after getting whooped by the fighting ducks. I figure lifetime or hallmark would be perfect networks for y'all.

ECU was not the bowl game I really wanted, but it was fun to listen to while driving, and at least one Florida program won their bowl game this year..

I did think it pretty cool that the new coach was in B'ham talking to the tailGators there for the game. He's really making a big impression on the faithful and seems to be doing pretty well recruiting.

I think the Ducks will wipe out the bucko's and I'll be perfectly happy to watch that happen. And, on the odd chance that osu wins, I'll start the Urban Meyer departure countdown clock for sometime about May.

The new coach has been a head coach.

(did I just say "has been"? :grin: )

I think that is one reason Mushchump failed.

He has landed on his feet though, hasn't he?

Jimbo spent years here as HCIW so he knew the people/players/etc and they knew him. Made a difference, IMO.

Nope, no crying.

We played medium, and were driving to take the lead to open 2nd half when fumble derailed that drive. Once Oregon scored it was

imperative to match them and get a stop.

We didn't and handed the ball over/and over/and over :dopeslap: .

They played great and deserve accolades.

We played badly in 2nd half and didn't do anything positive.

No crying.

Time to reflect on the streak, 29 games is awesome.

Now comes the time to enjoy the accomplishments, check out the new players who have already enrolled, and sign a few more to end up with the #1 recruit class.

46-3 in las 49 games, we aren't going away, will learn from the defeat, and yes, we'll be back.

Go Noles!

Oh, and guess the link I posted weeks ago wrt which conference was #1 was accurate. He had the Pac 12 as #1, partly due to their great record vs Power 5 teams (regular and previous bowls) which they have continued this bowl season.

I think the Ducks will wipe out the bucko's and I'll be perfectly happy to watch that happen. And, on the odd chance that osu wins, I'll start the Urban Meyer departure countdown clock for sometime about May.

Not so fast my friend...hahaha. So you don't think the Bucks can win, yeah that's what most of the talking heads thought about the previous 2 games. It's great to be the underdog. Care to wager anything?

Urban is not going anywhere, he was born a Buckeye.

GO BUCKS! Pluck & Buck the Ducks!

Care to wager anything?

Urban is not going anywhere, he was born a Buckeye.

GO BUCKS! Pluck & Buck the Ducks!

I was married to a buckeye for too many years to ever root for them.

I'll put up a craft brew to be delivered at START in April.

I was married to a buckeye for too many years to ever root for them.

I'll put up a craft brew to be delivered at START in April.

Those crickets are getting loud...

And looky here, the plot thickens... Again.

It's a good thing the bet is only a beer because I'm spending all my money going to the games. Got to keep going to see my Buckeyes play and make history.

Here's an interesting tidbit. The inaugural NCAA basketball championship tournament was played in 1939. The two teams that met in the finals were, guess who, Oregon and Ohio State. Oregon won that game 46-33. Sounds about right for a football score.

Oregon loses another player.

This time a wide receiver tests poistive for marijuana after the semifinal game.

:dopeslap:

And how is this for inequity?

Ohio State doesn't start their semester until the day of the game so they are exempt from NCAA limits on practice/film/coaching etc.

Meanwhile Oregon is limited to only 20 hours per NCAA rules since their semester already began.

Big time stupid.

Not unique.

Some schools start much later than others giving them a huge benefit at the start of a season.

I remember one year FSU was playing their fourth game, time limited practices etc. and going to classes before Ohio State players had even started classes.

This is a huge benefit and a loophole that the NCAA should address.

:lurk:

Waiting for the talking heads to point out that both these programs have come back from recent sanctions that led to both programs replacing their previous head coaches in '11 (Oregon) and '09 (OSU).

OSU's players from improper benefits, covered up by head coach.

Oregon for fraudulently paying for non-existant scouting reports that they paid to essentially an agent who funneled players to their program.

I guess if one of them had initials JW it would be all they talked about.

So this puts a crimp in the Ducks flight plan.

Maybe a good time to have taken the Buckeyes and the points.

North Dakota plays for their fourth National Championship today.

Very impressive and they wear green too.

Hmmm...

After FSU lost multiple players last season who declared early for the NFL (5 who became starters), we're losing another group this year.

At least we have a slew of top rated recruits enrolled already.

Here's an interesting tidbit. The inaugural NCAA basketball championship tournament was played in 1939. The two teams that met in the finals were, guess who, Oregon and Ohio State. Oregon won that game 46-33. Sounds about right for a football score.

Well if you think like that the Ducks are 0-8 all time against the Buckeyes in FOOTBALL.

GO BUCKS!

Which is why I hoped we had ended up getting an opportunity to play the buckeyes as we're 3-0 all time against them, none of the games at our house.

Don't like Urban, but he has demonstrated big game success and wouldn't count them out in this one.

Oregon has maintained all along that they will prepare for the next game like any other game they have prepared for all season. In that regard, I'd say the 20 hour limit will have no effect at all. This week will indeed have been like any other week this season. I think it might have thrown them off their routine to have practiced more. It might give Ohio a false sense of confidence though.

As for losing the WR, Oregon's bench is deep, I am not concerned too much about his loss.

Ethics?

Hmmm.

At Georgia, one marijuana positive is suspension.

At Oregon, takes a third failed test.

The NCAA tests after bowl games and post season competitions.

The Oregon players knew that.

They made a choice and have consequences, for violating a school policy, an NCAA rule and being guilty .

If tests hadn't shown a positive return for marijuana there would be no suspensions.

If they had been accused of using, and toxicolgy results were negative, no suspensions.

I know of another situation where an accusation is not supported by toxicolgy reports, contradicted by eyewinesses and multiple investigations.

Would you support the suspension of those Ducks based on false accusations and speculation?

Don't think so.

Congrats to North Dakota for pulling of a comeback victory and winning and unprecedented fourth consecutive FCS National Championship.

I would expect their coaches to a) investigate thoroughly and b) sit them if there's a suspicion that it could be a violation until their name is cleared.

It's that part that sends a message that the rules mean things and there are consequences to getting caught that help prevent many of these type things.

And opens the Pandora's box of spurious claims by addled fans.

Just as an example.

Toddo Gurley was suspended becasue there was hard evidence he got thousand's of dollars for signing autographed memorabilia for money.

A valid claim supported by pictures of Gurley, the accuser, and money.

The University of Florida's starting QB is accused of sexual assault after a game.

Within 2 days the accuser chose not to press charges and he plays. Is that really enough times to have his named "cleared?"

Did the univeristy conduct a thorough investigation, did the campus police conduct a thorough investigaton, interview witnesses, take statements, did the State Attorney investigate, did the university manifest a Code of Conduct hearing, or a Title IX hearing as required by law?

Who knows, no, probably, no, no, and no.

Yet this scenario, under your premise would have either required him to be suspended until all the above had been done, OR, you accept that the accusation was false, based on a cursory couple of dasy "investigation.

So, define terms.

What does "name cleared" mean?

When an accuser decides not to press charges, but reserves the right to do so at a future time, as in the University of Florida case?

Or, after months/years of multiple investigations, several hearings , feedback and legal determinations not to charge, Code of Conduct hearing where it was determined no violation had happened?

Tim,

We're not going to agree on this. Pretty much ever.

So, go on and support your team and do your thing. I have lost interest in arguing the esoteric with one so locked into a win at any cost dogma.

Have a great Sunday.

I was rooting for the Nike sponsored semi-pro team, AKA the Oregon Ducks, when they faced FSU but now I'm rooting for Ohio State. That being said, I predict a ten point victory by the Nike Ducks - 31-21. :P

Did the univeristy conduct a thorough investigation, did the campus police conduct a thorough investigaton, interview witnesses, take statements, did the State Attorney investigate, did the university manifest a Code of Conduct hearing, or a Title IX hearing as required by law?

Why do I keep hearing about a Title IX hearing? Title IX entitles students to not be discriminated against based on gender. "Jane Doe" wasn't discriminated against, she was raped (allegedly).

Not trying to start anything, just looking for clarification.

Against my Illinois Michigan heritage, I too am pulling for the Buckeyes.

Similar... but if I had money on the game, I don't think I'd take the points.

Well now, didn't see the end as this 4:30 wake up isn't conducive to late night, but apparently the team that Virginia Tech beat has regrouped and steamrolled the Ducks.

:P

Congrats to the Buckeye fans.

Despite adversity at the QB position they've run the table after the VaTech loss (still wondering 'bout that) showing that they are champions.

Makes you wonder how the guy ended up 3rd string at the start of the year, what's up w.that Urban?

A few notes. How good is that OSU running back? 200 plus yards again in the last three games. Incredible.

Mariotta becomes the first Heisman winner to lose championship game since '04.

And after touting the mighty SEC all year, often despite any reason other than they were SEC teams, one has to wonder just how good all these "experts" are.

And how much undue influence did they have on the polls?

1)Ohio State 2)TCU 3)Oregon 4)Alabama 5)FSU 6)Michigan State 7) Baylor 8)Georgia Tech 9)Wisconsin 10)Boise State

that's my top ten and it is a far cry from the EsecPN crap they shoved down our throats for most of the year.

Big 10/11/12 has 3

Big 12 has 2

ACC has 2

PAC 12 has 1

SEc has 1 same as whatever conference Boise plays in.

The playoff added to the year's enjoyment BUT the idiots on the selection committee need more transparency and less SEC Kewlaid.

So congratulations Ohio State fans, you're team showed a will to win and a well desrved #1.

Suck it Duck lovers. The Buckeyes play football not dress up.

Awesome game, great venue and I predict we'll be back next year.

Sure has gotten quiet in this thread.... :rofl:

Against my Illinois Michigan heritage, I too am pulling for the Buckeyes.

Similar... but if I had money on the game, I don't think I'd take the points.

...and that's why I don't bet on football. :grin:

Archived