IGNORED

The Official 2014 College Football Thread

tallman

Tim,

That would be Oregon over Washington State by 7 not Washington. While neither program has had much to crow about this decade they are rivals that don't care much for one another let alone being confused for one another. Having said that....Huck the Fuskies, Go Cougs.

Thanks.

With 10:30 pm start times we don't see much of them live

and I think the perception is they're playing better than ever

so east coast voters just look at 1) did east team X win easily and put subjective quantity penalty if not and 2) did Oregon win

giving them benefit of previous years play when seen live.

Don't know how it will shake out, but Oregon didn't deserve to pick up ground on FSU and 'Bama this week.

Not with the way the entire game was played and final narrow outcome.

Unless some subjective award for prevailing in a close game and if so, we win that argument this year hands down.

Reality is blowback for the QB off field dumbitdity.

No law broken, full game suspension, team wins, lose ground.

Auburn QB breaks law, 1/2 game suspension, doesn't lose ground

in polls.

Really wonder how the gang of 13 will handle all this when they start ranking teams and I wouldn't be surprised to see the actual 2 best teams from the east to have to play in semifinal.

Go Noles!

Bama has what I believe to to be their first test this Sat afternoon in Oxford against 10th ranked Ole Miss.

Let's say that again out loud. Tenth ranked Ole Miss! When's the last time that happened? I'll tell you. They won the SEC West in 2003. And then this;

Rising as high as No. 4 in the national rankings in 2009, Nutt’s Rebels knocked off No. 8 LSU, Tennessee and Arkansas en route to a second straight berth in the AT&T Cotton Bowl Classic, in which Ole Miss prevailed over No. 18 Oklahoma State 21-7.

I expect a win of course, but not without a fight. It'll be worth watching. They aren't a push over.

Sorry Danny. LSU won the west in 03 enroute to the BCS Championship. I pay pretty close attention to the SEC and I don't recall OM ever making an appearance in the SECCG. But I have slept since then so there is a small margin of error possible...

Sorry Danny. LSU won the west in 03 enroute to the BCS Championship. I pay pretty close attention to the SEC and I don't recall OM ever making an appearance in the SECCG. But I have slept since then so there is a small margin of error possible...

Not my fault, blame Ole Miss website. That's where I got it from. Seemed odd to me as well.

I'm thinking that Jeff Driskell wishes his leg was still broken...

My guess is we get to see UF's #2 this weekend against the other UT. It'll be a good game either way, but I am seriously hoping for some offensive output to match the way our defense has been scoring. Had we been able to score on half the punts against Bama, we'd be ranked and Danny would be really, really upset!

Had we been able to score on half the punts against Bama, we'd be ranked and Danny would be really, really upset!

Ain't that the truth!

Don't know what you all see in this sport. Sucks royally if you ask me. Used to be fun to watch, but no more. And today is a particularly sad day to watch college football.

I hear ya. Hard to be a UM fan this season but we've had bad seasons before and come back from them. Don't suspect Hoke is going to be around for any of them, though. I liked him but... :wave:

...exactly. I liked him, too, but...

you gotta win and you gotta exercise good judgement. I don't see him returning next year. Sure hope the tension I hear about in the 49r locker room is real. I'd love to see Harbaugh return to Michigan :thumbsup:

and rumblings the 49ers would love to see him leave...

perfect storm?

Not seasons with three losses before October, this is the worst, so far.

I predict 'Bama will obliterate Ole Missus #1 SEC defense by the end of the half.

With Saban now taking credit for opening things up (saying he always wanted to :grin: what? McCarron wasn't a good enough

QB to do so?? :P ) figure 'Bama will look to pass for 400 yds and run for 250 or so scoring 49 points or more whild holding Missy to 17 or less. They be looking scary...

If ND knocks Stanford off, they might become the darkhorse this year playing us later w/maybe both unbeaten.

We'll see.

Go Noles!

Duck Duck GOOSE

So Spts Illustrated cover gets the

Orasogoners

Usually not schadenfreudeish

But the way weve been hammered

For winning

Maybe this will get some folks back

to looking at results and improvements

Instead of comparing this team to last

Years record setting one.

Took five games last year to get to the level

that team maintained.

This year the team is finding ways to win,

improving, dominating at the end and

five is tomorrow.

Alabama and FSU are both improving week

by week like I said earlier and Bama may be on

track for an all time year, we' see.

I'm ennoying watching us mature and if we reach our potenial,

Woah, I am just now learning that Arizona upset Oregon last night. I saw your post this morning, tallman, and didn't understand it. Now I do.

BIG upset!

As my younger brother, the U of Arizona undergrad and medical school alum used to say before his untimely death in May 2012, "Arizona, Baby"! :thumbsup:

...exactly. I liked him, too, but...

you gotta win and you gotta exercise good judgement. I don't see him returning next year. Sure hope the tension I hear about in the 49r locker room is real. I'd love to see Harbaugh return to Michigan :thumbsup:

Wait a minute now. Harbaugh to Mich? I was just talking to a ku fan today (kansas university, and yes they do have a football team, kind of) and over in the land of oz, they are convinced Harbaugh is packing his bags and heading to lawrence ks. From what they say, Harbaugh's wife is from kansas, went to ku, liked the color combination on their uniform or something silly like that. So you think Harbaugh would go to a football university like Michigan over trying to build a program from the ashheap like kansas? Sorry, Michigan just does not have the reputation that a great coach like Harbaugh demands. He is heading to lawrence to bring that program to the national prominence it richly deserves. Or he will go there so his wife can have front row tickets in phog arena. This is the rumor jayhawks are spreading. I just smile and agree, what else do they have to talk about this time of year anyway.

I wasn't aware Charlie Weiss was at Kansas until they fired him earlier this week. Too bad he didn't work out. I wonder what's up with his coaching non-abilities as he was a great offensive coordinator for the New England Patriots.

We shall see. Michigan needs someone who can get the job done, that's for sure.

Sometimes great players make offensive coordinators successful.

Just saying...

He really has had mixed, at best, results since then, IMO.

A&M and Ms St looks like a good show.

UF and UT look like someone needs to turn the shot clock on.

:grin:

Does anyone know if the color coordinated shirt sections at UT always stay the same (always orange, always white),

or, do they flip game to game or on some basis?

I wasn't aware Charlie Weiss was at Kansas until they fired him earlier this week. Too bad he didn't work out. I wonder what's up with his coaching non-abilities as he was a great offensive coordinator for the New England Patriots.

We shall see. Michigan needs someone who can get the job done, that's for sure.

That’s because ks football is so irrelevant, it’s not typically reported on.

Aggies didn't show up to play today.

This must be one of those "several top teams lose" weekends.

Might be a good day for riding, Danny :wave:

Wait, nevermind Danny, Wake Forest is on deck. I'd be quite nervous if I were you, tallman :smile:

Me? I can just sit back and enjoy the season :Cool:

Well now...

:Cool:

well now,

that certainly was/is interesting.

#2/1

#5 lose?????

Something to be said for winning even if...

of couse winning by 40 and not being happy might seem inappropriate.

Too bad Tennessee coaches don't appreciate the strength of Florida's defense and help their r tackle.

Wonder if we lose first place votes this week?

Go Noles!

What a bloody weekend for top 10 teams.

Happens. Every once in a while the football gods purge the rankings and shake things up. Keeps them entertained, I imagine :Cool:

James,

college football is a blast.

For so many reasons.

They are kids, and no matter how much talent they have, oil leaks happen.

Probably several of the top ten losers shouldn't have lost,

and the Gators who were beaten for a large portion of the game,

still find a way to win.

And find a QB...

:lurk:

The upsets are still rolling in! Wisconsin, and US-freekin-C?! BYU, UCLA is in trouble, Michigan State hold a small lead--Oh my goodness, what a Saturday!

And this bit of shocking news just in...

...Michigan lost to Rutgers :rofl:

My new sport? Michigan ballet, baby! I'm starting a new thread and all, "The Official 2014 College Ballet Thread" :cry:

Watching the 'Utes upset the 8th ranked Bruins at UCLA.

Sorry fellas, my team doesn't matter, but I feel for you all.

Congrat's to the teams that showed up to PLAY today.

Next Saturday reality will return. But how great a day it was!

Seesh, all these upsets, Michigan might be top 10 come Monday :rofl:

Definitely top ten in the state of Michigan.

:wave:

Apologies to Mississippians as your teams are for real this weekend and may actually shape the playoff participants.

All of a sudden the FSU vs ND game in a couple weeks has become huge.

Waiting for the polls to see if on a weekend where #1 wins by forty points, and 4 of the top 6/8 lose, will we drop votes?

Great endings to numerous games, Hail Mary's that work, fg's made and missed, records broken for total yards passing in a game, ugly uniforms, and Arizona and Mississippi are the hot states

for college teams this week.

Auburn has the Mississippis and 'Bama and Georgia and Texas A&M remaining, winning out would be remarkable.

All the single loss girls in the SEC want to dance so every game is a playoff elimination test.

So can the talking heads sell the idea of a 2 loss SEC team ending up in the playoff?

They're already singing that song.

An interesting year indeed.

Go Noles!

Seesh, all these upsets, Michigan might be top 10 come Monday :rofl:

Definitely top ten in the state of Michigan.

:wave:

Are you joking or are you serious?

Top 10 Michigan football team? Wow, that'd be amazing. Of course, to get there they'd have to get past Eastern Michigan University and Wayne State Community College. No easy task. But I BELIEVE!!! :smile:

Danny...you ok???

Lol!

The only people still in this thread are those whose teams are winning big or losing big :tongue:

I don't even have a dog in this hunt and I check here often. The trash talk is great. Right now Tallman has the biggest pile to talk from. If FSU keeps going it will be bigger than Danny's was a couple of years ago.

James,

Like I said ESecPN is posturing for 2 (or more) SEC's in Final Four.

Look at the huge jump the Mississippis got by beating 'Bama

and A&M while Arizona (also unbeaten) beat a higher ranked team, Oregon, yet did not jump that much.

Interesting scenario if trend continues and we beat ND in a couple weeks how will that be viewed?

Clemson is back in the polls and LSU is out so which win is a "quality" win, us beating Clemson or Auburn beating LSU?

Look for Michigan State to try and put up impressive numbers to influence polls and lets see how the Mississipis are treated

a month from now if they have lost, and particulalrly if they haven't.

Go Noles!

Wow, you're right. Look at how far down Arizona is. Not that I disagree with it, by the way. I'm not convinced Arizona is for real, yet. Yes, they're undefeated to this point, let's see them get through this month without a loss and then I'll be riding their band wagon.

You're kidding me, right? This place is abandoned! Desolate! Vacated!

C'mon, there's gotta be something to talk about in spite of last Saturday, no? :smile:

Lol! I hereby grant you all honorary members of the Michigan Football fan club :tongue:

Something?

Your schools quarterback sets the record for yards in a game, hits for 6 TDs and no picks; final drive of the game gets them to the seven to win it only to watch the kicker push the field goal wide right. Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory as it were.

James,

'Bama is 4-3 in last 7 games.

Ole Miss beat Vandy, Presbyterian, Boise, and someone else before

beating Alabama.

Are they the #3 team?

Maybe.

But even the other SEC in league wins like A&M vs LSU.

Are they top ten teams?

Top 25?

I don't know and surely by the end of the season...

After Auburn runs the table, they surely are one of the top teams.

But if the SEC self destructs I think many folks would rather see something other than an SEC rematch in the playoffs.

For sure ESecPN will start hammering that nail daily to bolster the possibility of 2 SEC teams.

Putting that in the rear view...

Is Kentucky for real?

Except for a late no call they might be unbeaten.

Is South Carolina that bad and are the Gators going to find a way to win the East?

We've got Syracuse coming to town and hope they don't wear those ugly uniforms. Hard to look at let alone tackle.

Go Noles!

Right, could be Sam Houston State like LSU.

Or Presbyterian, like Ole Miss.

Or Lamar, like Texas A&M.

Plenty of that stuff all around.

Personally I'd rather see fewer of them like E Michigan or us the Citadel and go back to 10- games with an expanded playoff.

Wake vs VAndy would make a good double header, football followed by a Brain Bowl.

Twenty-some years ago the girl I was dating forced me to go to the home opener with her, Florida vs Citadel, I think it was 53 to 3. Are you kidding, who makes up these schedules? :dopeslap:

Of course last year, who knows? :wave:

:thumbsup:

Way too many, we've had our share.

One problem is the number of years in advance they're put together or when something like we had where W. Va. cancelled a home and home series unilaterally at last moment and you scramble

to fill hole in schedule.

I know its big business and conference matchups rule, but I'd love a city softball style grouping where the schedule is made by creating a bracket and then filled annually based on year before.

We'd be seede opposite Auburn and others filled in regardless of conference ending w/championship games.

Yeh, right, gonna happen.

Go Noles!

Bama lost, UF beat UT, and FSUCKS rolled over a patsy in Wake...

It was a good day to be from MS.

Yawn...

...and that comment is very rarely made.

Quiet week?

Guess some folks have been busy since their teams lost.

Some facts for those who worship at the SEC altar.

6 ACC teams have played one of the 25 toughest schedules

according to the NCAA.

Miami has the 2nd toughest w/opponents win .824%.

FSU's schedule is 23rd, so much for patsy's.

Louisville safety Gerold Holliman has 7 interceptions, more than

all but 15 teams have done.

Louisville leads the nation in total defense, rushing defense, and 3rd down conversion percentage.

If we can handle ND here still face a tough Thursday night trip to Louisville.

As of now, FSU is only ranked team to beat 2 USA today/Amway top 25 ranked teams.

Two of the 10 unbeatens are ACC.

FSU is 38-3 the past three calendar years, best in the nation

(along with a 27.4 point margin of victory, also the best).

Obviously great football in the SEC, but other folks play too.

:/

And on the legal front...

:dopeslap:

Georgia's Heisman candidate Todd Gurley suspended for memorabilia

and money issues.

Florida's star freshman QB accused of sexual assault, suspended, now reinstated, charges not filed but opion to do so "later".

FSU facing a Title IX investigation which now has resulted in

a hearing for Jameis Winston.

In a crazy Catch 22, his accuser's lawyer sent a letter telling FSU to "cease all contact" with her so they could execute their civil litigation plan. Rather than making her available for the Title IX investigation that they now claim is so important.

Her lawyers waited 20 months to file a Title IX complaint after telling ABC news in January "absolutely you're going to see a civil suit, I want heads to roll."

So after preventing FSU from doing anything they now claim that is evidence of a coverup.

:dopeslap:

If not so tragic it woould be funny.

So back on the field, we'll stomp Syracuse today in their dome.

Someone in the SEC West will emerge unbeaten, congratulations and well deserved kudos.

But dadgumit, lets not go overboard inflating rankings for the losers.

Go Noles!

Another great day for college football.

Noles win!

How 'bout them BullDawgs?

UGA stomps w/out Gurley, and Miss. State pummels the

Ah burned outs.

Wow, great job by Coach Mullins and Coach Richt.

Wonder if Florida wishes they had Mullins on the sidelines still.

Miss.State QB is awesome.

:thumbsup:

Go Noles! Big game w/ND next week!

At least it was an exciting game.

I expected us to lose, but we showed some improvement.

However, I'm confused why the LSU players singing all sound collectively like Buckwheat?

I am so glad Mississippi State beat Auburn.

And Alabama held on to beat Arkansas.

All in all, a good day for me in College Football.

Now, if USC could just put away Arizona, I'd be pretty pleased, although my late brother would have a thing or two to say about it!

"Oh black water, keep on rollin'

Mississippi moon won't you keep on shining on me...

Yeah, keep on shining your light,

gonna make everything, everything--gonna make everything alright.

And I ain't got no worries 'cause I ain't in no hurry at all"

And then there were 6

FSU

ND

Ole Miss

Miss St

Baylor

Marshall

Four of them play, we've got ND coming to town for Gameday baby,

and Marshall is not in play so ther will be at leat one 1 loss team in the playoffs.

Glad we've got our kicker, Go Noles!

So congrats to the Miss State jump to #1.

They look really good.

We can control our destiny by winning out, something Alabama, Auburn, the loser of the Egg Bowl, all the PAC 12, Big 10 teams can't do.

Wonder how happy folks over at Baylor are?

They control their fate too.

Same for Notre Dame.

Great first season of the Playoffs, so far.

Go Noles!

Archived