IGNORED

FART 2014 - OCT 2-5 - Maggie Valley NC

TyTass

Ya think you got that big enough, Glenn? :dopeslap::P

Looks fine to me on my screen......maybe its time to invest in a monitor that was built this decade :grin:

That would only be a 4 year old Monitor. :) I still have my HP 28C and use it on a daily basis. :D

Calculators are a different animal. I use a TI-83 every day. I think I bought it back around 1996-97. I don't ever plan to buy another one.

But computer monitors......eh, I start to get irritated anytime I have to use anything less than a dual 24" setup set to their highest resolution. But I digress......is it time to go yet?! :dopeslap:

Actually, Im the same way ... dual 24s, though functional resolution is determined by my piss-poor graphics card (I says as I types into my tiny smart phone screen).

I swear this day seems like it'll never end! And then when the workday is done, Ive got class tonight. :dopeslap:

Come on Wednesday! :thumbsup:

Actually, Im the same way ... dual 24s, though functional resolution is determined by my piss-poor graphics card (I says as I types into my tiny smart phone screen).

I swear this day seems like it'll never end! And then when the workday is done, Ive got class tonight. :dopeslap:

Come on Wednesday! :thumbsup:

I was feeling inadequate..so ordered the iphone 6+ last night. Better graphics than my computer.

So bummed as I sit here watching the posts about all of you getting ready to hit the road!

I'm sorry you can't make it as well.

Look for an announcement for START 2015 very soon...that should brighten your outlook :clap:

I guess really it's come on THURSDAY for me! Should be leaving Fredericksburg about 9:30 Thursday morning. But I'll like Wednesday too because it should be a shorter day at work and then home to get prepped!

Wow, looks like most of the Jax/NE FL folks will be starting to FART on Wednesday night.

Bike packed, tire pressure checked, shocks adjusted, GPS loaded, alarm clock set, proper travel weather ordered, GoPro recharged, oil topped off and rechecked. Come on Wednesday morning. :dopeslap:

Good luck and safe travels to all heading to FART. See you tomorrow night, or soon after that, An early thanks to Ken and his team for once again putting this together. :clap::clap:

It's really quite easy. First, I make you answer me in French and English... :wave:

But you still don't get

:grin:

Well, I didn't get ebola either so I guess I'm doing ok...

Hey now Matt -- let's do our best to play nice with the cyclists. After all, some of us are them, too! If they're particularly snooty or whiney, you should feel free to thumb your nose at them. Mooning is also acceptable non-verbal commentary, but can be a tough trick when you're ATGATT. I guess just know they're there & be aware -- they do have the right of way... even in North Carolina!

Will, I have had some negative experiences with bicyclists here in FL and up there on 276 ESPECIALLY. I understand the challenge and the fun, but they really need to stay to the fog line and shoulder. I'll tell you a few of my experiences with cyclists up there over the weekend.

Bike packed and ready for 5:30 AM departure to meet up with Mark (Marcopolo) and Rod (L Rider) at 7:00 AM in Front Royal, VA.

I will do my best to get our Canadian friends there in time for Wednesday night parking lot lies and libations! :thumbsup:

I was talking to a GA State Trooper a few weeks ago who works the Dahlonega, Blood Mtn area and he said most of the complaints are for Bicycles and Car Clubs. Motorcyces are less of a worry for them at the moment.

He said they stepped up enforcement a few years ago when they had 3 motorcycle deaths in very short time frame, but otherwise he mostly responds to singe vehicle accidents...Hardley's and Squids (my categories, not his)

Craig,

Officially out

:(

new grandson arrived at 1:11 this morning.

:)

:clap:

y'all have fun.

See ya next time.

Congratulations!!! :clap:

Just saw this event listed over in Brevard on Saturday.

The bicyclists get extra annoying on some of these tight roads so keep an eye open boys and girls...

The course maps only overlap 64 and 276 for a short distance. Ken, are any of those side roads on the routes you sent out?

Shawn

Wow. 2 weeks ago (11-14 SEP) when I was in the area there were multiple cycling events on multiple days on the BRP and associated feeder routes. Of course there was fog too, definitely challenging to visibility and traffic avoidance. Even had these low-riding recumbent things almost like go carts zipping along. Looked like fun, except it was cramping the roadway.

Oh well, the roads belong to everybody. Gotta share, gotta get along. It will be alright. Keep smiling!

Oh well, the roads belong to everybody. Gotta share, gotta get along. It will be alright. Keep smiling!

No one is suggesting to not share the road ... we're advising that folks watch out for packs of very slow moving traffic when you're zipping around a blind corner at a spritely pace because of all the cyclists. Late apex ... really late apex!

There is, of course, some bitching going on from some of us who have come upon rather violent hordes of cyclists not sharing the road at all (not that I would 2-line pass them or anything). ;)

Well, we're almost packed ... we're bringing just about everything. Doesn't look like we're going on a Sport-Touring ride ... looks more like we're going for an extended car camping trip with bike in tow. Sheesh! Whose idea was it to bring all this crap anyway? :dopeslap:

See a bunch of you tomorrow night ... the rest, throughout the weekend. It's FINALLY here! I can FART! :thumbsup:

Will, I have had some negative experiences with bicyclists here in FL and up there on 276 ESPECIALLY. I understand the challenge and the fun, but they really need to stay to the fog line and shoulder. I'll tell you a few of my experiences with cyclists up there over the weekend.

And I'll tell you a couple of very good reasons why riding the fog line and shoulder is not that great an idea as a cyclist.

Craig,

Officially out

:(

new grandson arrived at 1:11 this morning.

:)

:clap:

y'all have fun.

See ya next time.

Congrats all the way around. :clap:

The circle of life continues. :thumbsup:

I am on the road again and I have started my FART(ing).;-) Pulled out at 5:20 am, stopped now at Common Ground in Baxley, GA for a coffee and a muffin.

And I'll tell you a couple of very good reasons why riding the fog line and shoulder is not that great an idea as a cyclist.

While I've been frustrated from time to time by cyclists, I also realize that there most likely have been cagers frustrated by motot cyclists and try to keep that in mind. Besides, with the gear that they wear, they don't stand much of a chance if they are hit.

We need watch out for them. :wave:

Tellico Plains for lunch tomorrow, Yum, Yum.

Wonder if the cameras will be there in case Bernie shows up again????

I don't mean to hijack the fun part of the trip here, I was only offering a warning to keep your eyes open for them. Maybe I won the "psycho cyclist jackass lotto" when I find them up there, or maybe I just secretly hate the idea of seeing that many people in spandex at one time.

Leaving in 5 hours...

Lone_RT_rider
Anyone else starting to get bummed about this?

Not in the least. As a veteran of all events held in Maggie Valley, I am here to tell you that you will know what the weather will be this weekend when you actually wake up on those mornings. Be prepared for any weather, but also be prepared to be happily surprised when it turns out better than you think.

Yeah, twice this year I've woken up to a 100% rain forecast on a riding day, and stayed bone dry all day. Maybe this is my chance to finally try the heated socks that I bought 3 years ago.

Anyone else starting to get bummed about this?

Not in the least. As a veteran of all events held in Maggie Valley, I am here to tell you that you will know what the weather will be this weekend when you actually wake up on those mornings. Be prepared for any weather, but also be prepared to be happily surprised when it turns out better than you think.

I agree. Looks like great riding weather to me!

Semi in. I had ureteroscopic laser lithotripsy (try to say that fast three times) on September 19. The first 6 hours of recovery were no picnic, but over the past 10 days things have improved dramatically, but I'm still trying to take it easy. We're going to use Dahlonega as our base of operations.

If anybody wants to meet for lunch at Caffé REL in Franklin Thursday, we hope to arrive around 12:00-12:15. After lunch, probably a quick jaunt up the BRP, with turn-around at either the high point or at Mt. Pisgah, depending on energy levels.

On Saturday, we're planning to ride to Tellico Plains, have lunch at the Tellico Grains Bakery at about the same time of day, then after lunch take the Cherohala Skyway to its highest point before turning around and heading home for the day.

The older I get, the more life revolves around food...

If anybody coming from south of Atlanta needs a place to stay Thursday or Saturday night, my cell phone number is 404-640-9086. Paved driveway, enclosed garage.

CaffeRel. Now that is a winner. For those that have not been. Plan to do so. Awesome food. Great value. I always try to incorporate stopping to eat there on each trip down Moonshiner 28. Exceptions are when pressed for time or days when they are closed.

I think my Saturday ride is to book on down toward Cullowee to take 107 down to Cashiers, coffee at Bucks (maybe), all the way to where 107 meets 28 just north of Walhalla, SC. Go back up 28, eat in Franklin at you know where now, then continue all the way to Tail of the Dragon. Do that and come back on US129 to Robbinsville, then go over Cherohala Skyway to Tellico, then head toward BAMA. OR....don't go to BAMA and all my chores, blow that off. Go instead from Tellico either back over Skyway or down US411 to US64/74 and return via Ocoee and Nantahala to US74/19 and roll that back to Maggie Valley. All this makes sense if I am able to get to the Valley early enough on Friday for some Oktoberfest. More importantly if I wake up early on Saturday.

That is just a plan or fall back idea. I could easily wake up Saturday and go with the wind. Spontaneity can be great fun.

Main thing for now is getting away from work by lunch on Friday to head to the Valley. Hope to join a few of you or more for evening Happy Hour or Oktoberfest. Cheers!

Keith and I are loaded up. Getting ready to drop my daughter off at Pre-school and we'll be hitting the road! I greatly look forward to FARTing with each of you.

Nice n Easy Rider

Won't be heading out until tomorrow AM. Meeting up with my FART roommate (Mark Bayles) in Asheville and we'll play t by ear from there. Rain tomorrow will be a distraction but I'm getting used to it. Had 3 straight hours of it riding up to the B5Q and had 4 hours of it riding back from the last time we got together at the Jonathan Creek. Isn't that why we carry rain gear?

See you all tomorrow PM.

Blind Squirrel

Made it to the inn. This is a nice place! I took NC 209 down, "The Rattler". IMO it is better than "The Dragon". Longer (the site says about 48 miles) and very light traffic. Have to be careful for gravel in some of the curves though.

Got the RT back from the shop today and will start packing tonight after work. Jennifer comes down tonight and we'll leave in the morning from Fort Monroe, VA - can't wait to start FARTing :)

I suspect we crossed paths this afternoon, as I decided to take 28 from Franklin to Highlands, and we stopped for coffee at Buck's. Saw several BMWs headed the other way; unfortunately we were stuck behind a delivery van the entire distance, so we proceeded at a sedate pace.

Caff%C3%A9%2BREL.JPG

I haven't ridden Warwoman Road in several years, and had forgotten what a hoot it is — especially the recently repaved last 5 miles before it terminates at 28.

I came, I rode, I FARTed and I'm on the way back home. :dopeslap:

My 6 year old grandson is having surgery in St. Louis tomorrow and asked his mom if I was going to be there. Well you know what a grandparent has to do when their presence is requested.

So I turned round and headed back home.

Foot got the big bottle of Makers Mark and is supposed to be sharing it with everyone by giving the a drink and saying "That's from Marty Hill!"

You all let me know if he did or if he kept the whole bottle to himself.

Have fun.

FART a lot.

Ride Well

Archived