2014 R1200RT

AndyS

Per the 2011 R1200RT Riders Manual:

Driver's Seat Height: 32.3" - 33.1"

Three seat (& their heights) options on the Wethead:

LOW: 29.9" - 30.7"

Middle: 31.9" - 33.5" Comes w/this unless you specify otherwise

High: 32.7 - 33.1"

I rode 40 miles home from the dealer & immediately ordered the high seat. With a 32" inseam & use to after-market saddles (ex. Sargent, Kahedo) the standard seat felt too low for me.

Lastly, I also noticed that with the standard seat in the high position there is a gap between the bottom of the seat and the Tupperware large enough to put your fingers through. I don't remember that on the Hexhead or Camhead bikes.

For what it's worth..

I've sat upon the new Wethead R1200RT.

With the standard seat in the low position, it is appreciably lower, as far as footing goes, than any RT I've ever owned.

I can nearly flat foot...w -30"inseam.

Plenty good for my purposes, if I were to buy one.

I've owned 2 R1200RT '05 and '07 and a 2002 R1150RT.

All required Low seats, BMW or otherwise, for my footing preference.

d'milan

For what it's worth..

I've sat upon the new Wethead R1200RT.

With the standard seat in the low position, it is appreciably lower, as far as footing goes, than any RT I've ever owned.

I can nearly flat foot...w -30"inseam.

Plenty good for my purposes, if I were to buy one.

I've owned 2 R1200RT '05 and '07 and a 2002 R1150RT.

All required Low seats, BMW or otherwise, for my footing preference.

d'milan

I agree. I've got an '06 with a low seat. I sat on the new RT at the bike show a few weeks back and it had the regular seat and felt just fine, easy to flat-foot.

Per the 2011 R1200RT Riders Manual:

Driver's Seat Height: 32.3" - 33.1"

Three seat (& their heights) options on the Wethead:

LOW: 29.9" - 30.7"

Middle: 31.9" - 33.5" Comes w/this unless you specify otherwise

High: 32.7 - 33.1"

I rode 40 miles home from the dealer & immediately ordered the high seat. With a 32" inseam & use to after-market saddles (ex. Sargent, Kahedo) the standard seat felt too low for me.

Lastly, I also noticed that with the standard seat in the high position there is a gap between the bottom of the seat and the Tupperware large enough to put your fingers through. I don't remember that on the Hexhead or Camhead bikes.

Should read: Middle: 31.7 - 32.5, High: 32.7 - 33.5 .

Sorry about that; just noticed the error.

First ride report....I did 350 miles on the new RT Saturday. A couple of observations...I love the bike. Now....the wind protection around the waste down is not nearly as good as it was on my 1150RT. Wind around the waste up was on par. The 350 miles on my prior Russell seat was no big deal...The factory seat on the new RT is not meant for me to do 350 miles on....I will ride it a while longer to see if the seat breaks in a little, but fear a custom seat for longer rides is in order.

Someone earlier posted they had the dealer pull the Conti tires off for PR's...I decided not to fight that battle....Mistake...I was riding gentle as in a group ride and still in break in. The rear tire broke loose on me a couple of times in gentle sweepers. Had to change shorts. I push the PR's waayyyyy harder without issue.

After riding the 1150RT 350 miles my arms and shoulders tended to be tired...not much but a little. I felt great after the ride on the new bike except for butt fatigue on factory seat.

The new Navigator V surprised me when directions started out in German...no sweat will go into the menu and change to English. There are some 15 or so languages, but not English...Went to the Garmin website and cured that when I got home.

So far just little things (except the seat), but overall it is quite a step up in performance, ride, features, and power from my 1150RT...Don't worry, it still feels just like a boxer. If you closed your eyes you would swear you were on an airhead for the purist in you.

The quick shifter is a hoot...can't wait until I can rev it a bit. I thought the hill control would never be used. We stopped for gas on a downhill. I set the Hill control and it worked...really nice feature.

That's all for now...Tomorrow will get to 600miles and ready for it's first service..... See ya..

No but it can from USB. Easy use a jump drive

Jay

can you put play lists on the USB? Sorry to ask extra questions, I use SD cards in my car and would hate to step backwards too much

the nav v has a slot for a micro sd card.. If you are going to use music on the nav 5, the sd card is a must. You would soon fill up the sparse memory of the unit ( I don't know why garmin has cheaped out on every version of gps on core memory/storage, but they do)and would be limited on function/feature upgrades. I load all my map upgrades, music, pictures, etc onto the SD card. My Zumo 550 would only run MP3. I suspect the Nav v is the same.

A nice walk around of a Quartz Blue RT with a throttle blip tossed in for fun. :thumbsup:

Pat

Nice ride. I'm huge fan. That's why there is an identical in my garage. I think I'll go play with. C'mon spring time.

So I went to my dealer here in Atlanta, saw all three colors. While I like the trick with the ebony it doesn't work for me because I want the color to be noticeable from all distances.

The light blue was not out in the open, stuck between other bikes, so I need to reserve final judgement. The gray is definitely an outlier, that lack of gloss makes for an interesting effect. Never thought I would like gray....

I have a frost blue R1200C which I want to drive in one day to do a side by side comparison with the new blue... that or remember to take better pictures

First ride report....I did 350 miles on the new RT Saturday… The factory seat on the new RT is not meant for me to do 350 miles on....I will ride it a while longer to see if the seat breaks in a little, but fear a custom seat for longer rides is in order….

Ditto the seat. I just completed my first out of town ride, 300 miles. I absolutely love this bike, but either the seat or my butt better break-in, or a slightly softer seat will be required.

You guys that are having issues with the new RT seat, where you coming off a prior RT without having issues before? Think its the flatter area in the rear seat? I've got a stock seat 2011 RT and 600 mile days are easy. I'm trying to figure all I'll be out to get the new one, according to dealer the cam head RT values have already taken a hit.

The blue IS classy. I just think the matte grey is sexy. looks tough. I thought the ebony looked good at the show, but would be worried it'll look too purple in direct sun...which I'd hate.

Moto-maineiac
Anybody have a Callisto Grey Matte '14 yet?

I saw a Callisto and a Blue today at the dealership. I was impressed with the Callisto. It's not a frozen matte like you'd see on the BMW cars, more comparable to an eggshell paint finish with just a hint of sheen.

The Blue looks much better in person than the press photos led me to believe it would. More like a light metallic grey with just a touch of blue.

Both colors go well with the shape and lines of the bike.

- unrelated to color, I mentioned to the salesman I was disappointed BMW opted not to include the adaptive headlight. He said one of the master mechanics in the shop was at a training session recently and saw a '14 RT with the adaptive headlight. I'm not sure of the facts, I'm just repeating what I heard.

AdirondackJack

"unrelated to color, I mentioned to the salesman I was disappointed BMW opted not to include the adaptive headlight. He said one of the master mechanics in the shop was at a training session recently and saw a '14 RT with the adaptive headlight. I'm not sure of the facts, I'm just repeating what I heard."

Just out of curiosity: who was the salesman, and which dealer?

Hi there, :wave: let me first say i'm sorry for ahem, borrowing your picture. :) And, welcome to the site! :thumbsup: I love that pic!!

Pat

Thanks Pat and NP!

Here are a couple more, just to try to get a handle on the grey. It is an unsual color honestly, with a hint of frosty green in it. It is also very metallic though and in direct sun shows a lot of straight silver. I will also say it is not really a matte, but a satin. It's probably not for everyone, but I enjoy the unique-ness of it.

NB

DSC_1879-X2.jpg

DSC_1877-X2.jpg

More nice pics for sure! Shows the color very well! :thumbsup: FYI and obviously your choice but, introductions are mostly done in the Motorcycle Talk section. Not sure if you're familiar with the board but along with the online chat, there are several meet and greets all over the country every year.

A lot of fun to come face to face and shake hands with people you've sometimes been chatting with online for years. :thumbsup:

Pat

Moto-maineiac

"unrelated to color, I mentioned to the salesman I was disappointed BMW opted not to include the adaptive headlight. He said one of the master mechanics in the shop was at a training session recently and saw a '14 RT with the adaptive headlight. I'm not sure of the facts, I'm just repeating what I heard."

Just out of curiosity: who was the salesman, and which dealer?

My salesman is Jim Mahoney at Max BMW in NH.

1291160_10201140726857814_1213965932_o_zpsc3dd9cfa.jpg

Does anyone think there would be a market for someone producing fairing infill panels in front of the cylinders - a bit like the picture above and similar to the K16?

I just think that particular aspect if the new bike looks lacking and a tad unfinished.

As illustrated, I'd expect the exhaust header to melt the infill panel. Also, air flow appears to be restricted over the cylinder, which still relies on air for cooling.

What cylinder head guards are available for the '14 RT?

Probably nothing for a while.

If you look at the picture above they're on the heads. (BMW I believe) If you're talking about a crash bar type of protection system then yeah, the aftermarket will need some time to play catch up.

Pat

What cylinder head guards are available for the '14 RT?

I believe Touratech has head guards and crash bars/engine protection bars for the RT available.

Also the motor is the same as the GS-W, so most cylinder head guards should also fit the RT-W.

Has anyone bought a the "blue" version yet? How close is that to the Frost Blue used on R1200C of time gone by? My dealer had one but it was parked between so many others I could not get a good look

This Ice Blue Metallic seems very close if this is your bike.

I have a deposit on a blue RT and to be honest, thought it would be the least desirable color for me. Looks really nice in person and pushed the right buttons I guess. :thumbsup:

Pat

Archived