IGNORED

2014 R1200RT

AndyS

You can always make them taller.

But the bars can't be raised, so it causes a more forward tilt.

I'll go out on a very stout limb and predict that somebody will provide some method to raise the bars. I'll also predict that the method will be quite expensive.

CoarsegoldKid

The info that I received today while chatting it up with the "greeter" at the local BMW shop may be flawed. Time will tell. I know he wouldn't tell me tales. He plans to order a "short". My understanding is BMW has two chassis' for the RT and GS models. The short chassis is a special order. About an inch delta. And there are low and standard seats available. The back story is one of the design mucky mucks from the BMW car division is now in the MC division and he's 5'8" tall. So perhaps you inseam challenged now have a advocate in your corner. That will make a lot of folks happy.

You can always make them taller.

But the bars can't be raised, so it causes a more forward tilt.

I'll go out on a very stout limb and predict that somebody will provide some method to raise the bars. I'll also predict that the method will be quite expensive.

I'm sure someone will too, eventually and it will be expensive. I think Heli has something for the K1600 and it's $700+ and might require longer brake lines too. Seems BMW tried to make the bike more suitable for those at the shorter end of the spectrum. It could be that's where most of the complaints came from.

Complaints?

When selling the beemers at least 2 per week from inseam challenged, smaller frame, ladies, seniors wanting flat footedness.

10,000 specific complaints, or more, in a decade, that did not end up a sale, at a small dealership.

Yeah, BMW knows and has for a long time...

• 2 weeks later...

I sat on the bike at the NY motorcycle show and my 34in inseam had no trouble with the fit of the bike in this static configuraiton. I found the stock seat much more comfortable than the stock seat on my previous 1150RT. The relationship between bars, foot pegs and seat seemed fine for my size (6'2"). Smaller riders with shorter legs and arms might need more adjustments...or I might need adjustments once riding the bike. Fit and finish seemed very high quality and I can hardly wait for a test ride.

Moto-maineiac

MAX indicated they thought they'd have their first demo bikes in March. Yes, my cold weather gear is laid out and ready for a ride. Now if it would only get above 25 f'n degrees outside.

What's the thought on BMW doing an RT-sport version in the near future similar to the GT-sport released this year?

Pat

Well, based on their history, I personally would put money on it as a certainty!

I just can't wait to read some road tests and get my hands on a demo version or the RT. This has been so long awaited.

Yeah, I think they'd do very well with an S version RT. You know, for the old guy that hasn't quite accepted the fact that he's an old guy. Me! :rofl:

Pat

lowflyer2000

What are the "rumours" as to when the various Bike mags will start testing the RT?

I remember they tested the 1600 series somewhere in South Africa???

I've already placed my order (October 2013) and apparently will take delivery sometime in march?

I don't recall ever seeing, or hearing of an RT "sport" version in the past but there was always a sportier version of the platform until recently. As BMW came out with the K16GT Sport I wouldn't be surprised if they came out with an RT sport instead of another model like the old RS/ST. Just my two cents.

From the early oilhead years up to the ;end of the RS line, sales broke down 2 to 1 RT vs RS so obviously a lot of folks liked the RS/RSL.

BUT, when the RS ended and ST started BMW missed the boat for a lot of previous RS owners (like me) and ratio of sales skewed toward RT.

I think BMW created a self fulfilling prophecy and don't look for them to change back.

Sport version RT?

Take the bags off...

:lurk:

My understanding after speaking with a few salesman, is that the re-designed RT and GS chassis are all lower by about an inch and offer adjustable seats and optional tall or short seats too, so us short people can also be comfortable. I sat on a new GS and my feet were flat on the floor with the low seat. Amazing. I guess BMW finally got the message. Now we can have ESA and a low seat. Smart move. I can't wait to test ride one.

Related: the water cooled version of the R1200R has been spied in the wild.

Apparently it has a traditional fork (as seen on the R90T) to make room for a single large radiator mounted high in the frame instead of the two radiators of the RT and GS. This should allow to keep the bike narrow and perhaps shave off a little weight. It may also signal the bike will be competitively priced (by BMW standards :rofl: ) though I am curious to see if it will have something akin to ESA at the front. Perhaps a system similar to the one used on the HP4 sportsbike?

Wahoooooo

Finally got to sit on one at the bike show this weekend. I have one on order based on the specs, pics, and video. Glad to report feels better than my 08 RT. Seems the seat leather is a bit softer and I liked the seat. Fit me great in the legs like my last one too. It looks better in person than the pics that's for sure. Don't like how the Nav V can be popped off easily so you can't lock it in the mount and have to remove it when you still at a pub. Clutch feels light, and the throttle has no slack and is a light twist. Wish the ole paddles were there for signal lights. The low profile fluid reservoirs look good.

The fairing is definitely a new design...looks great and sportier. Looked at all the direct competitors including the Trophy, which is probably the closest competitor.... And I'm definitely happy with my choice for another RT! Nothing comes close.

Can't wait for it to get here.... Snows melting fast....

It's funny how they use that weird camouflage paint job to try to hide the contours of the bike... while drawing about 10x the attention it might normally receive. :grin:

Disruptive "zebra" painting... let's wait until our military members chime in. ;)

Being a history buff they look very much like a WWI destroyer.

Mercedes seems to have caught on this, however, as two prototype cars I have spotted in recent years were both matte black and with large vinyl strips masking some features.

http://www.lemans-tv.com/

An RS version with fewer gadgets, smaller fairing, lower bars but same luggage package sounds like a winner to me but I won't hold my breath.

Well pulled the trigger today on a loaded 14RT....Stipulation is subject to seeing and test ride. All the information about the first bikes coming out loaded is true. The only thing the dealer and I couldn't find on the bike was Trunk. Negotiated on the trunk and 600 service...Should be here next month. Money down...now just wait...

I saw it today. It looks better in person. They did a nice job on it. Would I buy one? Not now. I can see the values of the hex/camheads dropping a lot though. I bet a lot of people will be trading up.

If you're considering the new RTW you might like this to wet the appetite Link deleted by Admin due to possible virus

Delete if need be but, If this was the link it worked fine for me. Hey, me thinks ya just need to catch the drool before it hits the keyboard is all. :rofl: Exciting times! :thumbsup:

Pat

If you're considering the new RTW you might like this to wet the appetite Link deleted by Admin due to possible virus

Delete if need be but, If this was the link it worked fine for me. Hey, me thinks ya just need to catch the drool before it hits the keyboard is all. :rofl: Exciting times! :thumbsup:

Pat

Do you use a Mac? Worked fine for me too. :grin:

Yeah, should of said worked fine on an IPad. Go over to a neighbors house or something, :/ and click that link. It's so worth it! :thumbsup: Haven't clicked on it using a PC.

Pat

With riding videos already showing up, why haven't there been any ride reports yet? I'd love to see a good comparison between the 2013 and 2014 RT. It seems strange they are sending them to dealers for sale before the press gets to ride them.

Got an email for my friendly BMW dealer telling me they'll have both new LC bikes (RT and GSA) available for demo rides starting this Saturday.

Given the weather we are expected to have in the next week or so I don't know how many will take the invitation up. ;)

For myself I'll attempt to negotiate a longer demo ride at a much later date, at least to take the new RT around the local twisties. ;)

Hi Larry.

I didn't read it that way. I think he was mightily impressed. His criticism was how BMW make the options so complicated.

He did criticize the hill start, but from his description, it seemed more like he had issues...not the bike. He says it prevents the bike rolling backwards, well, yes it should. He also says it needs more 'gas', well, again, yes it should. If the gradient is such that it shouldn't need more throttle, then you probably wouldn't bother engaging the 'assist' feature.

So far, all glowing, from my point of view.

Seems like he felt the bike was too large and imposing. I always thought the RT was very reasonable in size compared with others like the 1600GT etc. I agree that although he complimented it's ride and handling, it seemed like he really didn't like it all that much. I always thought the RT with it's short wheelbase was supposed to be great in the corners but that's not what he seemed to think.

MCN first ride review is out in this weeks edition and its a good read. They give it a glowing review. Pulls away from any of the competitors that were getting close and leaves them in the dust.

Hate when guys say it isn't sporty...I was pulling away from GSXR's on the Isle of man TT mountain run on a 2012 rental....with a top box on it...felt guilty doing it LOL. My 08 had rub marks on both cylinder heads from leaning in the corners....I suspect the extra bark of the new putt putt ...in the right hands... could be impressive. Neat thing is in the mountains can go crazy...then on the way home...cruise in excellant comfort. Dang I wish the bike was here and the snow was gone.....sigh....

My buddy in New Jersey is supposedly picking his up today. My dealer called and mine should be here in California within a few weeks. We were both told that the first shipments to the States all come fully loaded. That is OK with me!

Well, I saw it in person at Touring Sport today... their first two were sold and picked up today...

It is awesome... I liked the bike from the pictures, but in person, words fail me as to how much I love the looks of this bike. One of the new owners let me sit on it and it fits like a glove. Considerably lighter than my GT. If I wasn't so in love with the inline 6, I would be getting one of these.

BMW has a hit on it's hands... they will sell every one they make...

Just got back from the dealer...Mine is due here on Wednesday...

Got a call from my dealer last night and "my" bike is in New Jersey, evidently watching the Super Bowl and should be here by Saturday.

AD

Archived