IGNORED

2014 R1200RT

AndyS

Funny how certain pictures with perfect lighting (IMO) and the right background can sell motorcycles. Already posted it but, the one below did it for me.

http://s1.cdn.autoevolution.com/images/news/gallery/2014-bmw-r1200rt-looks-sharp-photo-gallery_53.jpg?1383664133

Pat

Hooray, a picture of the new bike with a shiny finish!

I personally am no fan of a dull bike (well not when it is new anyway).

.....I think the bike looks great with out the bags on as well. As light as the bike is already, dropping a few more pounds to help with that spirited pace we all enjoy, helps keep the heart healthy.

As much as I really liked the gray one I saw. I think the blue is my favorite of the three. I'm afraid I'll get tired of the "flat look" eventually.

One more joins the ranks today.

The exhaust note on this ride is definitely louder than my 06 version. It’s not intrusive while riding with ear plugs however. It feels much lighter and quicker to turn in. The menu system is quicker to learn than I had anticipated and their was no drama pairing with my SENA bluetooth. The sensation of speed is deceptive, more than once I found myself way north of legal.

wtR12RT-M.jpg

Picked this up last week and got off after 185 miles.

Newbikeemail_zps604f0ac7.jpg

Looks nice out in the wild! :thumbsup: How does the seat (or your butt, I should say) feel after 185?

Pat

Wade, Congratulations on the new bike. They sure are beautiful. I’m enjoying mine too.

Can you please give us more details about your Sena Bluetooth pairing? Are you able to get the radio including XM and Nav? After shutting everything down did it pair without you having to do anything? Which model do you have?

Thanks, Jay

Picked this up last week and got off after 185 miles.

Newbikeemail_zps604f0ac7.jpg

Here's ebony in the sun light.

Ebony_zpsbe10d832.jpg

Great shot to show the color pop in the sun. So on a cloudy day you'll take out the Ebony bike, and when the sun's out you can say your riding the Black Cherry bike. ......nice road to break in the bike on.

As far as the seat comfort goes...

Well to keep it in perspective, I am moving from a 2004 1150RT, which had the saddle shaped seat. When BMW changed the styling with the 2005 RT I didn’t think the new seats looked comfortable and my short test-drives were never enough to judge the comfort. But what I have found is that the new RT seat is more comfortable for the simple reason that I can move around more than on the 1150RT. Also, even though the seat feels firm it really does cushion the bumps quite well. And lastly, I'm a bit short legged and it's easier to reach the ground. So for me this is an improvement over my 2004 RT.

Just watched my paint guy mix some Quartz Blue Metallic (interesting how it's done) to match up the top case from my 16. Should be done early next week!

Pat

Wade, Congratulations on the new bike. They sure are beautiful. I’m enjoying mine too.

Can you please give us more details about your Sena Bluetooth pairing? Are you able to get the radio including XM and Nav? After shutting everything down did it pair without you having to do anything? Which model do you have?

Thanks, Jay

Sorry for the late reply, a nasty thing called work keeps getting in the way.

I have an old 1st generation SENA unit that I've only paired with the bike radio. I have not purchased the Nav V unit yet so no phone hookup possible.

Can anyone confirm that GPS instructions, I have a NaV V Garmin, will come thru the bikes sound system or will you need to pair to the NAV V for turn by turn.

Reason I ask is I just purchased a Scala G9X, paired to my bike and phone no problem but when I tried pair phone to GPS and helmet to GPS neither phone nor GPS stayed paired but would connect and disconnect continuously. Also tried headset to GPS then Phone to GPS with pretty much same result. I will not on faith and trust buy a new helmet and BMW communicator without a test drive. I have read a lot of reviews and almost all spoke of poor BT audio, I know that is all subjective.. But I want a real world test drive before putting out $1200+ for a setup to hear terrible sounding BT audio.

I settled on the Scala G9X because of the rider to rider feature and the new Cardio Community features which make for Greta bike to bike commo. I have also used he G4 for several years and was always happy with it performance.

The G9's Bluetooth works great with all devices, good sound quality. Paired with my iPhone , my IPad and couple of other BT units. But the BT audio from the BMW Alpine unit is just horrible, over driven distorted and just crap.

Already working on a mini jack for my headphones / monitors that I wear weather plugied in or not. The G9X has jack that you can either plug speakers or earplugs but I will have a mini Jack plugin in the right hand storage unit that I can plug my Monitors into directly or run a audio line to the audio input port also located on the G9X so I can listen thru just the speakers should I choose. I have installed a set of Tork X-Pro speakers in place of the speakers included in the G9X set.

Already did a quick connect to check the audio quality off the speaker line and it is clean with no distortion of any kind. I am going to disconnect the speakers as I just don't see the point as I ride with a full face helmet. But since I will be tapped into and using speaker out audio the BT on the bike will not be functioning as I read the manual. So will I hear GPS turn by turn thru my wired connection or will I have to workout the NAVV to headstet issue.

ShooterSteve

It kind of sucks that for that kind of money for a bike, the bluetooth is generations behind what their cars offer. Doesn't really make sense on a bike that is supposed to be state of the art. I was told by my riding buddies, the bluetooth has the same issues on the 1600GT. Maybe a firmware upgrade can resolve it?

But the BT audio from the BMW Alpine unit is just horrible, over driven distorted and just crap.

I thought it was just me and/or my old BT equipment.

Glad to hear that somebody else thinks it's over driven and distorted too.

AD

Just watched my paint guy mix some Quartz Blue Metallic (interesting how it's done) to match up the top case from my 16. Should be done early next week!
It's probably a shade or two darker than i'd like it to be but, shouldn't be all that noticeable as long as I don't point it out. ;) D'oh!! :dopeslap:

image_zpsd9c8c53c.jpg

Pat

Regarding the Bluetooth poor audio quality. I found on my 2011 RT with BT that you have to set the bass and treble to the lowest setting possible -6 on my RT and add back what you can before it starts to distort. I think my final setting is like -3 on bass and -2 on the treble.

nazdravanul
It's probably a shade or two darker than i'd like it to be but, shouldn't be all that noticeable as long as I don't point it out. ;) D'oh!! :dopeslap:

image_zpsd9c8c53c.jpg

Pat

Can you, please, post some pics of it mounted on the bike ?

Can you, please, post some pics of it mounted on the bike ?

I won't have the whole bike for another week or two but, will surely post a pic or twenty when I get her home. :grin:

Quartz Blue Metallic? Why does the picture not look blue to me, what am I missing?

My guess is It has a lot of grey in the paint and under certain lighting it shows more. It's a pretty subdued color for sure but I thought it worked very well on the bike.

Pat

I actually started doubting it (being blue) myself there for a minute. Does show up quite nicely in the sunlight though.

image_zps24746edb.jpg

Pat

Yeah, that's a big hit for sure. I kept the case from my trade-in and the painter charged me $175.00. I did toss him an extra tweny-five just because of the quick turnaround. :thumbsup:

Pat

• 1 month later...

A little more info on the 14 RT Now have about 3000 on the clock. In the 2400 since first service it doesn't appear to burn any oil. Oil dance not required as get the same reading after about 10 minutes with or without the dance. However the seat continues to burn my buns. I thought I might get a little more use to it, but that hasn't been the case. Sometimes in 75 miles I'm ready to get off and sometimes about 125, but that is about it. My prior RT had a Russell that I could just ride as long as I wanted. Five-hundred day miles were common.

So... seat time. I loved my Russell (still have it) but just don't want the tractor look on this bike. I have a gel pad I have had for years and tried it yesterday...No bueno at 100 miles.

Does anyone know if Mayer has finally gotten past the divorce/move and is actually building and shipping? It's time to do something.

Thanks,

I did some research and think I am going to try Seth Laam. He worked for Rick Mayer and went out on his own. His work looks fantastic. His pricing is also much less than either Mayer. My friend should be receiving his next week.

is your friend on an RT? I have a buddy who got is Laam seat on a 2014 FJR. It looks great. He said it made a difference in long ride, but not as much as he thought. Keep us posted on your friend. Tired of riding standing on the pegs... :)

My friend has a 2007 1200RT. Too bad the guy with the FJR isn't completely satisfied with the seat. If it wasn't for the height issue with a Russell I would be going that way. Never heard of anyone complaining about their seat.

• 2 weeks later...

the new RT's Quartz Blue Metallic is the exact same color as my Lexus SUV which is called Ash Blue Mica... in the sun it looks blue in the shade it looks silver/grey...

very similar to the Ebony Metallic... to me ebony means black (or almost black) but the pics i've seen of people's ebony units show a lot of burgundy and brown in the paint... i like it...

Dave_in_TX
I did some research and think I am going to try Seth Laam. He worked for Rick Mayer and went out on his own. His work looks fantastic. His pricing is also much less than either Mayer. My friend should be receiving his next week.

I'm very satisfied with the seat Seth did for my 2011 RT.

Archived