IGNORED

2014 R1200RT

AndyS

Mine got here Friday. Pick it up Wednesday. Changed tires and added hyperlights to rear.

First one should hit my dealer tomorrow....think I'm slotted for the second one.

What tires came on yours?

Conti Avenger II? or something like that. I opted for p 4's. Only cost is labor.

Well, that was a no-brainer then...I'll make sure my dealer does the same. Look forward to a ride report, I rode the GS-LC and was tremendously impressed my the whole package, just couldn't part with my RT.

I rode a gs and adventure. Cool rides but I like my creature comforts.

If I was younger and thought I might do some exploring I might have switched. But the only exploring I do is the next interesting road. Supposed to rain most of the week. Maybe get some in Thursday afternoon. Rain again Friday not sure about the weekend. This rain will give me some time to add on my extras.

Mine got here Friday. Pick it up Wednesday. Changed tires...

Confused?

Why change tyres?

The tyres may be perfect for the bike. BMW obviously thought so and let the press ride the bikes with stock rubber.

I have had great experience with P 3s. The last RT tires wore out fast and felt completely different than the P3s So I want to try the P4s.The tire that comes stock isn't always the best performing tire. It is adequate and also cost effective for the manufacturer. If the new ones don't work then my bad, however I think it is a good choice.

Mine got here Friday. Pick it up Wednesday. Changed tires...

Confused?

Why change tyres?

The tyres may be perfect for the bike. BMW obviously thought so and let the press ride the bikes with stock rubber.

On this side of the pond at least BMW RT's have arrived in the past with Conti's that frankly aren't worth much. Many like myself have switched to PR's and the difference is amazing, I've got 3000 miles on my PR3's and they look like new, the Conti's were badly worn with that many miles on them.

I understand that the replacement tyres might indeed last longer, but to take the originals off without trying them seems to be the opposite of a no brainer. it is costing you money and you lost the opportunity to make a real comparison. Especially with the first tyre on a bike lasting longer because you are running the bike in and getting used to it.

I thought the bike was expensive enough without adding a few more £'s onto it.

Whatever, the thing is, you seem to have a wonderful motorcycle. Please keep everyone posted on what it is like with honest owner feedback.

What bikes did you have before this one?

Tires are the cheapest thing on the bike for a manufacturer. They buy them in bulk and it's a cost thing. Two of my kawasaki's came with bridgestones and they sucked. I eventually put metzelers on them. My RT came with PR2s. They lasted 9500 miles and were just ok. The PR3s lasted over 12K and were much better. On set 2 now. If a new bike came with tires that were crap, I would replace them.

My new '13 had factory Bridgestones - ugh! I told the dealer that I'm only riding out on PR3s so they were thrown into the deal. I've ridden PR1s, PR2s and PR3s and they're best for me. I've no experience with Contis but they can't be as bad as Battlax.

My 2012 had 021's. I replaced them with the improved 023's. Big difference. I have 10,000 miles on the rear and still rides good and no handling or balance issues. I have a new 023 ready to get mounted when the time comes. The front is also a 023 and looks good. I expect the front tire to last twice as long as the rear.

Sorry. Didn't mean this to turn into a tyre thread.

I just find it strange to change brand new tyres out.

It's like saying drain the oil and put *brand of oil in, or change the battery because BMW battery's only last x, but brand B performs better.

Has anyone picked their new bikes up yet? Very exciting.

Saw mine in the process of getting the tires swapped, rear end plastic off to add hyperlites. Pick up tomorrow. Any one need a large top box painted midnight blue?

Saw mine in the process of getting the tires swapped, rear end plastic off to add hyperlites. Pick up tomorrow. Any one need a large top box painted midnight blue?

By chance did you see where they hooked up the hyperlites to get power? I was going to do mine myself when I get home with the bike and that might save me some head scratching if you know the answer.

I saw my 2014RT at the dealer's being uncrated today. I wasn't expecting it for another couple of weeks. There was a Calista Gray one on the floor that had just been assembled. I gave it a careful look over. One thing that I confirmed is that the bikes in country now do not have adaptive headlights. That was not in any of the "fully loaded" packages. I was expecting adaptive headlights. Oh well.

I had adaptive lights on the GTL that I just sold. They were nice but the adaptive effect was not as dramatic in person as it was in the online animation. You had to really be leaning into a curve for it to kick in. I will do without rather than wait for a bike with it.

Upon perusing the manual I noticed that it recommends 89 octane gas. I expected 91. That is good to know. The K1600 got by fine on 89. That will save 10 cents per gallon in Oregon.

It uses a sight glass for checking oil rather than a dipstick. Of course you need to just about lie down to see it. At least it can be done while the engine is cold. You need an included tool to add oil. It (the tool) stores under the seat and removes a plug in the right valve cover. It seems pretty easy to do.

I heard the engine fire up. It has a nice throaty, manly sound to it. The Nav does not lock in so you have to pop it out when you park the bike if you want to secure it. The "lock it in" with the windscreen down like the 1600 is gone. While I did not ride it, the side mirrors seem to have a wide sweep of adjustability and be high enough to see past you elbows. I wanted a high seat, but the first models all have the "normal" seat. Putting this seat into the "high" position does make a noticeable difference in seating position and may be adequate without the high seat. I have a 34 inch inseam. I figure I have a 50% chance of wanting an after-market seat anyway. I will put on some miles before I decide about that.

I did not expect a two piece seat, but that is what it has. I have not had that before. I do not see any real issues with that. One thing about the two piece is that it is very light and manageable to remove.

When I first ordered the bike I thought that it came with a top box but later found out that it does not. They cost way to much to casually add without knowing that it is a must. My expectation is to go with a BMW 55L soft bag for $220 before I would pop for $1800 for a painted top box.

Putting it on the center stand or leaning it upright from the side stand surprised me at how much lighter it felt than my GTL. More so than I expected. This is good news because lighter weight was one of the draws for me.

The faring lacked the nice vents that can be opened to force air onto the rider. I used that a lot on hot days and it was very welcome. We will see if that matters.

I worried about the color since I ordered the Quartz Blue Metallic. I could never gauge what it would look like in person from the internet pictures. I did not think that I would particularly like the matte finish of Calista Gray. My visit today confirmed that. I also did not want a black bike. Black shows every scratch too easily. I was relieved to see that the blue is not unmanly looking, as it shades towards a light blue-gray. It is important to look manly on your mount. I don't want a Harley rider to get the wrong idea and force me to take him down.

Overall the machine looks very cool in person. I can't wait to get a free clear day to pick mine up.

Just a question? Have you ever looked at an RT before? Many of your observations point out long term features of RTs. I got mine yesterday. I can see more with the mirrors but since they have a "soft connection" there is a pronounced virbration in the mirrors at difffernt speeds and gears.

There isn't any ajustment in the gear shift, The speed shift works great up and down! There isn't much roon for add on under the seats. It is going to take a bit of imagination to add fuse boxes and the like. More later

No, I have never looked at an RT before. My comment are more directed to those that are looking at moving from a K1600 or other model than at current RT owners. Yes there is little room under the seat.

I also like that the tire valve looks easier to access than they did on my GTL and the speedometer is easier to read because the numbers are bigger. It may actually be usable.

Dash is a huge improvement. A lot of menus to scroll through. I liked the buttons for the heated grips and seat on the handle bars on the old RTs. Quicker to get to but no inadvertant hot hands or seat with the new one.

..One thing that I confirmed is that the bikes in country now do not have adaptive headlights. That was not in any of the "fully loaded" packages. I was expecting adaptive headlights. Oh well.

I'm pretty certain that the adaptive headlight is not an available option on the new RTs, so you would have been waiting a long time to find a bike with it. :grin: That's my recollection from having read the full media package when the RT was introduced before Christmas. I'm surprised that your dealer did not tell you that, same for the top box.

I managed to observe the bike this morning at my local dealership at all leisure... not a soul in sight. :)

One thing I missed on the bike I saw at Milan is the steering damper has made a comeback after many years... sure BMW must have their good reasons.

Second thing: ironically enough the RT has better shrouded radiators than the GSA. Those duct in front are not exactly straight so they provide some measure of protection. By contrast the GSA radiators are "out in the open" with not even a mesh in front of them.

Third thing: that small small chromed fin on the pre-production bikes luggage ( this ) is gone, meaning they lost that minimum scraping protection they had.

Fourth thing: with luggage installed, the bike is actually wider than a Camhead (they had one parked alongside) by an inch or so.

Fifth thing: I predict great business for whoever will able to provide some measure of protection to the cylinder heads. The GS and GSA have an engine bar but the RT even lacks some plastic covers to prevent accidental scuffing while attempting to enter a bike parking (don't ask how I know). More business if they can improve the mirrors' survivability and come up with a very thick and durable luggage protection film.

The chrome on the bags is availalbe as an option. Same bag as on the K bikes.

Case Embellisher, Left - Chrome - BMW K1600GT Motorcycle - by BMW

This chrome trim piece fits the side case on your BMW K1600GT or 2014-later R1200RT. Left and right side pieces are sold separately. Should be installed by an Authorized BMW Motorcycle dealer. (This piece is standard on the BMW K16000GTL.)

More Info

$81.00

..One thing that I confirmed is that the bikes in country now do not have adaptive headlights. That was not in any of the "fully loaded" packages. I was expecting adaptive headlights. Oh well.

I'm pretty certain that the adaptive headlight is not an available option on the new RTs, so you would have been waiting a long time to find a bike with it. :grin: That's my recollection from having read the full media package when the RT was introduced before Christmas. I'm surprised that your dealer did not tell you that, same for the top box.

BMW apparently built the new RT fairing with enough room for the the light, but didn't put it in this years model, probably to keep the price down. Maybe it will be added to future models or offered as an upgrade on the 2014. Its not a deal breaker for me and I'd prefer to add the aux LEDs for the money anyway.

The chrome on the bags is availalbe as an option. Same bag as on the K bikes.

Case Embellisher, Left - Chrome - BMW K1600GT Motorcycle - by BMW

This chrome trim piece fits the side case on your BMW K1600GT or 2014-later R1200RT. Left and right side pieces are sold separately. Should be installed by an Authorized BMW Motorcycle dealer. (This piece is standard on the BMW K16000GTL.)

More Info

$81.00

Thanks for the info. :thumbsup:

Just a question? Have you ever looked at an RT before? Many of your observations point out long term features of RTs. I got mine yesterday. I can see more with the mirrors but since they have a "soft connection" there is a pronounced virbration in the mirrors at difffernt speeds and gears.

There isn't any ajustment in the gear shift, The speed shift works great up and down! There isn't much roon for add on under the seats. It is going to take a bit of imagination to add fuse boxes and the like. More later

The speed shifter was a big draw to me. Nothing that I have read so far exlains it well. For example, can you just snick it up a gear while holding the throttle open? When you do so does it clunk into gear or make a quick, smooth shift? When you down shift does it buck or lurch as if it needed but did not get the revs matched up? I have a Honda with Dual Clutch Transmission and it is a marvel. You tap a paddle to shift and boom--it's done. You have to watch the gear indicator to know that it shifted gears it is so fast and seamless. You say that it fantastic but I do not know what that means. Any comments would be appreciated.

I read somewhere today that it’s very smooth and fast under the right conditions. Like when accelerating and under load a shift up is perfect and similarly when slowing (engine breaking) the downshift is smooth as well. And yes the engine speed revs to match the downshift and no need to cut throttle when shifting up. However, at constant engine load a shift in either direction could be clunky.

The speed shifter was a big draw to me. Nothing that I have read so far exlains it well. For example, can you just snick it up a gear while holding the throttle open? When you do so does it clunk into gear or make a quick, smooth shift? When you down shift does it buck or lurch as if it needed but did not get the revs matched up? I have a Honda with Dual Clutch Transmission and it is a marvel. You tap a paddle to shift and boom--it's done. You have to watch the gear indicator to know that it shifted gears it is so fast and seamless. You say that it fantastic but I do not know what that means. Any comments would be appreciated.

BMW apparently built the new RT fairing with enough room for the the light, but didn't put it in this years model, probably to keep the price down. Maybe it will be added to future models or offered as an upgrade on the 2014. Its not a deal breaker for me and I'd prefer to add the aux LEDs for the money anyway.

As a K16GT owner, I can tell you the light at night is simply amazing. Gone are the dark spots as you lean into a corner and it is self leveling. As you add load to the bike the level sensor adjusts the attitude of the light automatically.

I just shift by feel/ I don't over do it on down shifts. Meaning quick high rev down shifts, at least so far. Up shifts, first to second can be a little rough but over wise very smooth. I haven't done it under hard rev situations yet. Getting ready to ride in a bit. Let you know more then. Not surew howq to post pics here.

Just came from my dealer who had one on display today. Beautiful bike in person. Loved the flat gray color too. I was only disappointed by the seat height. It seemed no different from last years RT with only the balls of my feet on the ground. I had expected it to be lower.

I've had the quick shifter on my K1300S and it's super smooth when accelerating under power when shifting. If you shift at a less aggressive throttle setting, it will clunk. You'll get used to it and find the sweet spot and it's great. Looking forward to riding the RT next week. But I would almost buy it just for the looks!

Saw a Ebony at the dealership on Friday, a bit more of a reddish hue than I expected. They are expecting the gray one any day and I look forward to seeing it. Love the new instrument layout and features. Wish the Navigator had a lock feature, seems silly to have central locking and not include a locking pin or something to secure the GPS at the same time.

Hello, I’ve lurked on and off for a long time. I’m riding a 02R1150RT since they first came out, now I’m waiting for delivery of the new 2014 RT. Got to see it in person yesterday, WOW can’t wait for my bike to be delivered.

I have a couple of questions. The bike has no room under the front seat, is there enough room under the rear to install a fuse block? I want to mount my V1, I guess I’ll have to find a Ram mount or shelf that comes off the clutch or brake, any ideas? I understand some like to hide the detector I get some of the advantages but I find it important to know what type of radar and where it’s coming from. If I’m going to have remote display why hide the detector? Do you know the length of free XM service, I understand the K1600GT/GTL has 12 months but I’m not sure what the RT comes with?

From what I learned you must use a Schuberth Bluetooth (BMW) system, that’s not an option for me. I have a long oval shaped head, none of the present Suhuberth helmet fit me. I’ll told my only option is to tap into the wiring of the speakers. This is a shame.

I’ve been enjoying all the comments on the new RT and look forward become active on the forum. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Jay

Welcome to the club Jay! :wave: About the Bluetooth connection, if the system is similar to the K16's set up you'll be able to use a Sena SMH10. Only drawback that I can think of at the moment is no volume control via the bikes scroll wheel.

Pat

Thanks for posting for me....

Jay...as I have only had mine two days, not sure I know it all yet. Under the rear seat is the electronics for Sirius and a couple of other things. I think it would be difficult to put much under there, but maybe could be done. Mine is Ebony. It seems to change color a lot. From a distance it does look a little dark. When you start getting close in has hues of deep red. When you are close and in lighting from say a cloudy day, it looks brown. Makes it hard to decide which shoes to wear :) So far the standard seat feels ok. I have a 30-31 inseam and can flatfoot the bike with ease.

I was really surprised by the vast difference in power vs.s my 2005 R1150RT. The 1150 had 95hp and this has 130...I am driving it easy of course for breakin, but on my it is different.

The brakes are radically different. I was use to my whizzy brakes which were trouble free for me for the life of the bike. I really liked them.

The 1200 brakes work fine, but require much greater pull on the hand or push on the foot. The hill assist is awesome. I tried it out on a friends driveway. For those of you on the west coast you will love this feature.

It is very quite.

Bluetooth....I have the SENA 10 on my Neotec helmet. I can't remember exactly how he synced it, but I have my Iphone, the BMW Navigator, and the BMW audio system all synced up. So it is possible to do it without a Shuberth Helment. In the right hand storage box there is a cable with USB and 3.5MM plug. You can plug anything in there, but it will not be controlled by the BMW electronics unless you buy this special cable they have. That cable is $130, but after fussing a bit, they threw it in.

I love the hydraulic clutch. Much smoother and doesn't require as many rpm's to get moving. Gears are tall.....

So far so good. My 1150RT and this bike are as different as a GS and a moped. Very different, but so far I'm loving it.

I will post more as I learn more. If you are in the Houston area and want to see it, shoot me a note.

Cheers..

My new RT will sit on the dealer's floor until I return from travels next week. The answer to an earlier question on the XM radio is that the free subscription is for one year.

I will wait to have the XM enabled until I decided on what bluetooth system to go with. So far I am undecided between the Sena and the BMW systems. The BMW bluetooth would probably be the most trouble free, but it looks like 2 Sena systems cost less than one BMW system. Also are the BMW and Schuberth helmets the only ones that BMW bluetooth can install in? I will be using this system two up, as well as solo, so the comm functionality is a priority.

One other question for the new owners... I noticed when inspecting my bike that the oil cap is partially covered by the side fairing cover. Can you take this cap off without removing the side fairing? I couldn't see how to make this work.

My new RT will sit on the dealer's floor until I return from travels next week. The answer to an earlier question on the XM radio is that the free subscription is for one year.

I will wait to have the XM enabled until I decided on what bluetooth system to go with. So far I am undecided between the Sena and the BMW systems. The BMW bluetooth would probably be the most trouble free, but it looks like 2 Sena systems cost less than one BMW system. Also are the BMW and Schuberth helmets the only ones that BMW bluetooth can install in? I will be using this system two up, as well as solo, so the comm functionality is a priority.

One other question for the new owners... I noticed when inspecting my bike that the oil cap is partially covered by the side fairing cover. Can you take this cap off without removing the side fairing? I couldn't see how to make this work.

From my experience on the K1600 forum people had just as many problems with the BMW Bluetooth as the Sena. It was a very finicky thing. I just hard wired my audio. I don't know if that Bluetooth ever got squared away.

I bought that "special" cable on eBay for $26. What makes it special is that it has some sort of chip in it. Do not ask me why BMW wants $130. I think theirs has a flux capacitor.

You don't need a schuberth helmet. The BMW communication head set will work on other helemts, at least I was told that. It is expensive. After a full day of riding the blue tooth is better than the old rt but could be better. This bike is louder than the camhead. More wind noise and engine noise. I will try ear plugs next ride. The shift assist is awesome. I really fit this bike. Did a little over 200 miles yesterday. Some straight and some curvy roads. This bike was made to corner. Mirrors vibrate. Cured it somewhat with some small rubber strips. Still present at some rpms but better.

You don't need a schuberth helmet. The BMW communication head set will work on other helemts, at least I was told that. It is expensive. After a full day of riding the blue tooth is better than the old rt but could be better. This bike is louder than the camhead. More wind noise and engine noise. I will try ear plugs next ride. The shift assist is awesome. I really fit this bike. Did a little over 200 miles yesterday. Some straight and some curvy roads. This bike was made to corner. Mirrors vibrate. Cured it somewhat with some small rubber strips. Still present at some rpms but better.

I love seeing the shift assist described as "awesome". Shift assist was a key factor in my deciding to pop for this baby. Problem is I did it sight unseen just hoping that it worked well. I will be picking mine up Friday. It is at the dealer waiting for the weather and my schedule to align. Please explain where you used small rubber strips. Is it between the edge of the mirror and the mirror housing? Is this something that the dealer might be able to tighten up?

The mirrors fold inward so they are what I call a soft mount. Two Al plates meet when the mirror is pushed out to operating position. I got some two sided rubber tape and stuck two together and then stuck one side to the frame. I might try a third tape. The mirror closes without any obstruction with two pieces. Have to experiment with three. Not sure of the idea behind folding mirrors.I really like to ride this bike. The power bands and gearing are to my liking. However everyone has a feel they want. I'm sure it is YMMV type of situation. But so far all is good. In a couple of months and two riding courses I will be in a better position to rate this bike. The shift assist really spoils you!

Question: I really love the new RT but was expecting it to be lower than the 2013 model according to BMW. But sitting on it last saturday, it didn't feel any lower than the 2013 model in the showroom. I know I can order it with a low seat too but what have any of you felt about the seat height? Is it lower than the previous model? I'd love to think it was setup too high and can be adjusted lower. They told me the seat was in the low setting too. Any other shorties out there feel OK on the new RT?

Not exactly what you're asking but you definitely sit lower to the ground than on the GT with a Russell seat. Thinking about it the pegs felt a bit higher which, if you're a long legged fellow that may not benefit you.

Pat

Question: I really love the new RT but was expecting it to be lower than the 2013 model according to BMW. But sitting on it last saturday, it didn't feel any lower than the 2013 model in the showroom. I know I can order it with a low seat too but what have any of you felt about the seat height? Is it lower than the previous model? I'd love to think it was setup too high and can be adjusted lower. They told me the seat was in the low setting too. Any other shorties out there feel OK on the new RT?

My impression is the standard model is exactly the same height as my Hexhead while the lowered version seems to be a tiny bit lower than the Camhead lowered version.

Archived