IGNORED

2014 R1200RT

AndyS

R 1200 RT is available in the new elegant paint finishes Quartz blue metallic, Ebony metallic and Callisto grey metallic matt !!!

R 1200 RT

Essentially three shades of gray. Don't care what it looks like, if the colors suck they can keep it. I don't want a bike whose color matches the pavement.

Guess they don't read the forums because it's no secret that most think their taste in colors is awful. That said, they did enough to this new RT that I will forgive them. :grin:

Pat

Curious nobody mentions this bike will come equipped (option? standard?) with a thing called Hill Start Control which does exactly what is written on the label. Or at least until it breaks down and catches fires. ;)

The engine has a heavier flywheel than the GS-LC to reduce vibrations. Just two riding modes available (Road and Rain): apparently this was done because BMW feels the average RT owner is "very conservative" and don't like fiddling with those controls too much. ;)

Engine is both more powerful and economical than both Camhead and Hexhead... which is always a good thing.

Two things however that make me a bit wary.

First, alternator output has dropped from 720W to 540W.

Second the bike has gained 15kg over the Camhead, going from 259 to 274kg.

Not sure where they put all that weight (considering the GS-LC is just 9kg over its predecessor) since the bike seems pretty bare-boned.

I think they have a designer who is a fan of 80s science fiction movies... :rofl:

The look went from predator a la sage riger's avatar

1774.gif

to aliens

rsz_alien_from_the_movie_5294.jpg

While note a show stopper, I am a little disappointed it gained 24lbs. Was hoping it might stay the same or lose a few. Could be the deciding factor between it and a GS when the time comes. 80lbs is a lot.

Regarding the riding modes, there is an additional "dynamic" mode that's available as an option.

Perused the press kit and I'm pretty happy with what is being offered. There's plenty there to draw interest and enough left out for those not interested in all the bells and whistles.

Just two riding modes available (Road and Rain): apparently this was done because BMW feels the average RT owner is "very conservative" and don't like fiddling with those controls too much. ;)

0ption available is "Dynamic" mode (which guarantees maximum riding fun for sporty, dynamic motorcyclists).

Guess they don't read the forums because it's no secret that most think their taste in colors is awful. That said, they did enough to this new RT that I will forgive them. :grin:

Pat

BMW, like the Japanese marques, is stone cold deaf to what it's customers want or need.

I will be very curious to know how the optional "Pro" mode (with Dynamic setting) differs from my 13's standard Sport mode -- which is where my bike lives unless it is pouring down rain. If there are any serial/annual upgraders out there, please let us know once you take delivery.

Blah German colors, as expected. Big gaping side portholes, praying mantis face over a huge open mouth, mono-handlebar, garish dash, blackened side cases. Its styling is disappointing to me.

Shift Assistant Pro will be a popular feature, but I don't see a need for it. ESA gets more and more gimmicky. Central locking is cool -- if it's reliable. And HOW much will that stuff cost?

That said, it's a cool new motor and should be a great bike to ride, so I'm sure it'll sell well, if anybody can afford it.

I like my camhead.

I'm no expert on electrical systems, but, it seems odd that they went from a 720 watt alternator and a 19Ah battery on the current RT to a 520 watt alternator and a 16 Ah battery on the new bike. Perhaps with all the LED's the new bike is drawing a lot less power?

Just as an aside, I have the K1600GT, with 580 watts… haven't had a problem with anything electrical on the bike (heated gear, iPod, additional lighting).

You know, one of my biggest disappointments with RT's over the years has been the headlight.

Along came the K1600 with adaptive headlight that, for me at least, raised the bar and what's the one Gilmore that any my night rider really needed. So for the most part that is serious tourists and year round commuters.

So, for the NEW 1200RT to be introduced without Adaptive Headlight as at least an option seemed to be a GLARING (pun intended) omission.

However, although the front of the bike looks like that headlight set up on the K1600, it appears not to be even an option as far as I can see.

So, we have a bike that had the chance to be "The Ultimate Touring Machine", but has fallen at several hurdles.

Lighting

Colour choices

Dashboard (I think bright sunlight will be an issue on those unshaded dials like it was on the early 1200's.

Alternator output/battery capacity move to what I would call sufficient for most, but for pillion kitted winter riding with full compliment of heated kit, it will be a close thing.

The clear plastic silhouette around the front section of the bike does reduce the visual footprint, but 2 or three years down the road when it gets scratched, I suspect it is going to look a mess.

Let's Hope I am wrong. However I might be waiting another year to see how this all pans out...

...Looking forward to riding it though!

Andy, omitting the Adaptive headlight option surprised quite a few persons, but maybe they'll offer it further down the road: remember BMW has a long history of introducing updates/new options over the model lifespan.

The same applies to colors: 2015 will surely bring some new ones but remember 70% of the RT out there are either silver or black (mine included), so this color choice will satisfy most customers.

I am not so sure dashboard will be such an issue. The big problem on our bikes is not so much the lack of shade (otherwise the beefy Wunderlich clock surround would completely cure it) but a combination of a very large flat plastic surface, angle and rider position. I struggled a bit with optics at the Uni, so I'll leave somebody with better grades than me to explain that. :grin:

Not so sure about the plastic silhouette. The screen on my RT is the only OE bike screen I've had so far that hasn't scratched. If they stuck with the same material and finish I wouldn't worry too much about it. However if they shifted to the same material/finish as the GS you have an excellent point: my brother already changed his because it had scratched so much as to be an eyesore.

One thing that made me think is how short the front fender is... I predict very good business for Machineart and other "fender extender" manufacturers.

And while I understand the completely revamped electronics and electrics will probably need less juice, the alternator/battery combo seems a bit undersized to me as well, especially if BMW continues in its time honored tradition of fitting dodgy batteries as OE and knowing that many owners like to add a ton of accessories. I suspect in a couple years we'll see an uprated generator on the bike.

All in all the usual point applies: those who will buy now will do us all a great favor by acting as guinea pigs... :grin:

This shaping up to be a winner in my book... loving what I see here (colors, styling, features, etc.). Yamaha, Kawasaki and Honda just fell further back IMO. Can't wait to see it in the flesh.

I like the "Witout" version better. Also like the new clutch/brake reservoirs. Hope the RT's muffler sounds better than the GS's.

Will do a test ride as the best view of the bike is from the saddle.

Bill

Pretty slick cockpit. I wonder what the dents in top of the "tank" are for? Airflow management or mini swimming pools?

Also, are the mirrors an improvement?

Dashboard (I think bright sunlight will be an issue on those unshaded dials like it was on the early 1200's.

Comparing the Studio pictures P90137693 & P90137694 in the press kit, it appears that the instruments (but not the GPS) can be tilted up and down - at least everything else seems to be stationary as the display moves within the fairing and the reflections change. I saw no mention of this in the press release.

I agree the headlight changes are disappointing. The similar "corona" LEDs I've seen on the K1600 are not very eyecatching on the road. If BMW isn't offering the adaptive headlight on the RT they could at least have offered a HID or LED option.

Comparing the Studio pictures P90137693 & P90137694 in the press kit, it appears that the instruments (but not the GPS) can be tilted up and down - at least everything else seems to be stationary as the display moves within the fairing and the reflections change. I saw no mention of this in the press release.

Bad Photoshop work… my guess.

I wonder what the dents in top of the "tank" are for?

Cmon man.

Those dents in the top of the tank are for stunts. That's where your feet go.

MB>

I like how cluttered the L/H switch looks. Do you think I'll be able to find the horn there? :rofl:

I have to say, my '11 RT has the same left handlebar setup and it's very difficult to find the horn. Especially in an emergency situation. I wish BMW would make the button longer and/or larger in some way.

Regarding the "Wit or Witout" pics above. That's a great catch. Perhaps there will be some sort of GPS PREP option that would prompt the difference in the dash design?

I wonder what the dents in top of the "tank" are for?

Cmon man.

Those dents in the top of the tank are for stunts. That's where your feet go.

MB>

That was funny!

This shaping up to be a winner in my book... loving what I see here (colors, styling, features, etc.). Yamaha, Kawasaki and Honda just fell further back IMO. Can't wait to see it in the flesh.

+ :thumbsup:

so wonder what a loaded one will cost?

...a LOAD...of cash.

Some talk of Euro pricing on this thread, thanks to Kakugo. Not really sure you can do a straight conversion for US pricing.

I'm just doing the calendar math...bought my '04 in '09...a couple of model years to shake out the gremlins. I guess I'll be looking for a used one in.....2020 :(. On the bright side plenty of time to squirrel away some coin, AND enjoy the heck out of my Oilhead :grin:.

I've put down a deposit at my local dealer, it affords me first choice on their first shipment. My 2006 R12RT was from them and it was a fair deal.

I only had one minor issue between the last two RTs so I'm either lucky or blessed.

Aesthetically it is challenged in some ways but so was the R12 & R11. Cruise control should be standard on this class of bike, see both the FJR & Trophy SE. One other item I also find myself missing is the integrated tank bag system, likely shelved for cost cutting purposes.

Now comes the long wait.....

Interesting Wade, you liked the integrated tank bag. I tolerated it when it is fitted, but when it's not (most of the time), the whole tank arrangement looks shabby, scrappy and amateur. From the riders point if view, the tank is pretty much the centrepiece of the bike.

Can't argue, it was an eye sore but a very functional one. Slayer was my only transportation, work and play every day. That tank bag was so convenient, kind of like a man purse :P

New tankbag looks pretty small to average in size. The aftermarket tankbag makers should do well from the RT this time around.

A rebirth of the Big Mac design would look to work well on this bike.

Just watched the video. The Tank bag looks like a OEM but I saw it is strapped down. I wonder why they went away from the rail mount to a strap mount. Makes no sense. They have a great setup and now they went backwards.

Wow -- BMW sneaks in an actual, barely-perceptible color. Sort of. Thanks for the link.

I'm struggling with the red. While visible in the link, it's not at all visible in the official press pack photos or on the official bmw website - in the 1200rt product section. Ebony means "very black", it's not a "black ruby metallic" color ... I'm confused.

Wow -- BMW sneaks in an actual, barely-perceptible color. Sort of. Thanks for the link.

I'm struggling with the red. While visible in the link, it's not at all visible in the official press pack photos or on the official bmw website - in the 1200rt product section. Ebony means "very black", it's not a "black ruby metallic" color ... I'm confused.

It could very well be a product of the lighting where that photo was taken. If I was to make a wager, I'd say it will be pure black.

Archived