IGNORED

2014 R1200RT

AndyS

The new RT sure has a longgg nose compared to the camhead.

Yes a little longer, but my, what a more elegant package than the dumpy frumpy, bitty, non water cooled 1200.

Well, the new model has plenty of strong points.

Does anybody else here feel a little robbed as I do.

I was SO looking forward to adaptive headlights.

The idea of being able to see where I am going at night, seems to make perfect sense to me. Especially on an all weather, all world motorcycle.Yet, no.

The shape is similar to the K1600 but it is not there.

My GT has the adaptive headlight and I'll tell ya it's not a gimmick. Flat out works as advertised but dang, it looks expensive to fix out of warrantee.

Surprised, there seems to be a bit of indifference to this new motorcycle BMW has built for us. I for one F_ _ _ _ _ _ love it! :grin:

Pat

Well, wow what a bike, not too many surprises, a few omissions.

I see from the outset a few have commented how the front fairing looks very big, but it may look different in the skin.

If you are sad enough like me and have put pictures of the previous and new side by side, you can see that actually is is not so much bigger, just trying to incorporate the headlight and radiators, and also duct the heat away from the rider.

And by doing this they may have lost a bit of the flowing lines, by the way these seem to have deminished by every model since the R1100RT-R1150RT-R1200RT, more so through design for the angular R1200RT, probably through function for the new bike.

ikmy.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

z0pi.jpg

A bit miffed we did not get the full works Xenon adaptive headlight like the K1600, man I was looking forward to that. (Maybe we will see when the prices are launched, if the option was just too expensive) We just get the one dipped and two main beams, totally opposed to the current bike??? and we have lost the dash mounted adjuster, it is under the light somewhere. OK we do get the LED angle eyes Factory option.

I do admit the lovely new GS LED running light is quiet eye catching, but I am a biker, I am looking out for bikes, so I notice them, not too sure if I would rely on just the angle eyes to get me noticed, rather have a pair of badly set up headlights like the current bike (LOL)

I do like some of the design detail. The standoff roundel on the side panel and the floating trim on the rear pannier, the ally footrest hangers, I love the cockpit and integrated GPS, yes I know it is a Badged BMW Garmin ££££. I see they do two dashboards, one with and one with out the integrated GPS.

I have always loved the K1600 cockpit, and it looks great on the new RT, it looks like you can do everything from there

The fairings seem a bit lost around the new motor, but I suppose with the inlets at 12 o'clock and the exhaust at 6 o'clock, they have done their best to try and mould around it.

With the lack of protection from a short front mudguard, I bet that chrome on the exhaust balance pipe will soon be shot blasted. Also the screws on that chrome exhaust trim behind the riders right foot, I bet they would be a bitch to get out after a few salty years. I see the Akraprovic exhaust uses a carbon guard

There are lots of nooks and crannies around the swing arm pivot, but that was all under plastic on the current bike, the tube running through the air box is a bit ugly though, maybe another panel to cover this triangle of Urgh?

Anyone else think it does ring of the R1200ST? Faintly?

Front mudguard, as short as normal, front of motor does look easier to clean, I hope the paint is not gonna drop off.

And then we find out it is heavier than the current bike, yes all these advances in Can bus and composites, and it is heavier.

Ok yes I know it has some water and rads, but are they really 20 kilos more than the R1200RT?

I bet once you are up and running you will not notice it, but now we are only 5 kilograms off the R1150RT.

Mind you I can't believe the 1200GSA is 260 kilograms.

Will I buy one? Yes

When? Maybe this time next year, but I am suppose to be riding to Turkey, and around the Black Sea, so do I take a 60K well proven 2005 RT or a fairly new and unproven bike.

Really though, I will not be able to afford to do both, so maybe I will get one in 2015

Well, wow what a bike, not too many surprises, a few omissions.

I see from the outset a few have commented how the front fairing looks very big, but it may look different in the skin.

If you are sad enough like me and have put pictures of the previous and new side by side, you can see that actually is is not so much bigger, just trying to incorporate the headlight and radiators, and also duct the heat away from the rider.

And by doing this they may have lost a bit of the flowing lines, by the way these seem to have deminished by every model since the R1100RT-R1150RT-R1200RT, more so through design for the angular R1200RT, probably through function for the new bike.

ikmy.jpg

z0pi.jpg

A bit miffed we did not get the full works Xenon adaptive headlight like the K1600, man I was looking forward to that. (Maybe we will see when the prices are launched, if the option was just too expensive) We just get the one dipped and two main beams, totally opposed to the current bike??? and we have lost the dash mounted adjuster, it is under the light somewhere. OK we do get the LED angle eyes Factory option.

I do admit the lovely new GS LED running light is quiet eye catching, but I am a biker, I am looking out for bikes, so I notice them, not too sure if I would rely on just the angle eyes to get me noticed, rather have a pair of badly set up headlights like the current bike (LOL)

I do like some of the design detail. The standoff roundel on the side panel and the floating trim on the rear pannier, the ally footrest hangers, I love the cockpit and integrated GPS, yes I know it is a Badged BMW Garmin ££££. I see they do two dashboards, one with and one with out the integrated GPS.

I have always loved the K1600 cockpit, and it looks great on the new RT, it looks like you can do everything from there

The fairings seem a bit lost around the new motor, but I suppose with the inlets at 12 o'clock and the exhaust at 6 o'clock, they have done their best to try and mould around it.

With the lack of protection from a short front mudguard, I bet that chrome on the exhaust balance pipe will soon be shot blasted. Also the screws on that chrome exhaust trim behind the riders right foot, I bet they would be a bitch to get out after a few salty years. I see the Akraprovic exhaust uses a carbon guard

There are lots of nooks and crannies around the swing arm pivot, but that was all under plastic on the current bike, the tube running through the air box is a bit ugly though, maybe another panel to cover this triangle of Urgh?

Anyone else think it does ring of the R1200ST? Faintly?

Front mudguard, as short as normal, front of motor does look easier to clean, I hope the paint is not gonna drop off.

And then we find out it is heavier than the current bike, yes all these advances in Can bus and composites, and it is heavier.

Ok yes I know it has some water and rads, but are they really 20 kilos more than the R1200RT?

I bet once you are up and running you will not notice it, but now we are only 5 kilograms off the R1150RT.

Mind you I can't believe the 1200GSA is 260 kilograms.

Will I buy one? Yes

When? Maybe this time next year, but I am suppose to be riding to Turkey, and around the Black Sea, so do I take a 60K well proven 2005 RT or a fairly new and unproven bike.

Really though, I will not be able to afford to do both, so maybe I will get one in 2015

Go to cycle-ergo.com and you can select both bikes and toggle back and forth to see the differences in ergos. With my bar risers, peg lowering kit and seat in the high position, there's a decent amount of difference between the two. The new one is sportier and has a longer reach to bars even compared to a stock 2009.

I couldn't care a jot about daytime running lights . I'm happy to ride with. Y headlight on. What I do care about is riding safely at night, and so the omission of adaptive headlight is a BIG issue. The angel eyes are just cosmetic fripperies and a smoke screen keeping punters distracted from the key lighting deficiency.

The weight isn't an issue either , because once rolling that disappears.

I'd love to see an aftermarket company make some infill panels to fit in front of the cylinder heads - much like on the 1100/1150 RT's. I am convinced adding more would make the bike less top heavy. I wonder if overheating might become an issue.

It is still a welcome new model though.

The more I look at the new RT profile, the more disjointed and unattractive its design appears.

The pointy nose, the gaping big-slash portholes on the sides, the exposed, GS-like frame joint at the footpeg, and the afterthought bracket for the passenger pegs are just not graceful or finished-looking for a premium faired tourer. Meh. Disappointing.

z0pi.jpg

Gear Shift Assistant Pro for smooth yet quick gear changing

The BMW Gear Shift Assistant Pro, available as a factory option, represents a world first for production motorcycle manufacture. It enables upshifts and downshifts to be made without operation of the clutch or throttle valve in the proper load and rpm speed ranges while riding.

Semi-auto??????

There were a couple of comments about bar backs, and the like, I saw in this thread, and elsewhere. I found the following offering from Heli. It ain't a cheap solution, but, it's a solution. I don't think they look very good, but, It's something. I expect they'll have something for the new RT as well.

https://www.helibars.com/product/bmw-k1600gtl-horizon-st-replacement-handlebars

I placed a deposit on one last Saturday. My dealer told me mine was the first deposit taken, so I got to sit down with him and I picked the color (or lack thereof) and all the options I wanted. When the bike arrives, if I don't want it, I get my $$$ back.

Now the waiting begins.

There were a couple of comments about bar backs, and the like, I saw in this thread, and elsewhere. I found the following offering from Heli. It ain't a cheap solution, but, it's a solution. I don't think they look very good, but, It's something. I expect they'll have something for the new RT as well.

It's hideous, but I guess it's a solution. It's already an expensive machine to have to dump more money into it, just saying. $65 for risers is one thing, $600 is another. I just don't get why BMW would have fixed bars. Is it arrogance or stupidity?

It's hideous, but I guess it's a solution. It's already an expensive machine to have to dump more money into it, just saying. $65 for risers is one thing, $600 is another. I just don't get why BMW would have fixed bars. Is it arrogance or stupidity?

There's an Ebay seller that has bar "risers" for the K1600* that are far more reasonable in the $75 range. Unfortunately, they don't bring the bars back, just up about an inch. Due to the rake they would come back a little but it is negligible. From what I understand.

A friend has the 1600 with adaptive headlight, and I could barely see the low beams in my mirrors when he was behind me during the day. Not sure the effect was the same to cars coming the other way.

Thing looks like something from ALIEN.....where is Sigorney Weaver when you need her....

I been saying that for more than 30 years.

Edit: I been needin' her for more than 30 years.

Badda bing...

Okay, so what're the real U. S. prices?

Mark,

Big question is if I'll be allowed to pass it or not... :wave:

If you can shift to 2nd gear, you can pass Mark. No worries....

Mark,

Gotta work on my wheelies then with the GSA tank... It's a much better presentation

Mark,

Gotta work on my wheelies then with the GSA tank... It's a much better presentation

Dammit, you guys cut it out, I WANNA KNOW THE ACTUAL U. S. PRICING.

:mad::wave:

That would be the "base" model. The "all in" price is just about $25K but that would include virtually every option>

How does that compare to the old RT?

That would be the "base" model. The "all in" price is just about $25K but that would include virtually every option>

How does that compare to the old RT?

$100 more. There are more standard features on the new RT though. The "board computer" and ASC were options before but are standard now. BMW Canada tends to make the options only available in bundles, where in the US they were available in packages or individually.

Canadian option packages:

Comfort Package: $ 935 Chromed exhaust, central locking, Alarm, Tire pressure monitor, Socket

Touring Package: $1,530 Cruise Control, Prep for GPS, heated seats, Dynamic ESA

Dynamic Package: $300 Riding Mode Pro, Hill Start control, Headlight Pro

I see the base price in the link above as $20,850. If I add all the options noted above I get $23615. That seems pretty fair to me. Curious to see what USA prices will come in at.

Just put a deposit today for a January build with a delivery sometime late March / early April.

There "maybe" a chance to actually see / touch one at another dealer in the new year. We'll see.

I’m a real fan of the new RT and have a deposit on one at Southsound BMW, 4th in line behind Kitsap. There is no word on prices, option packages etc. However, typically the first few to come through are fully loaded. The deposit enables me the right of refusal according to my place in line. This bike will replace my 2000 RT with 160K miles. It still runs great but it’s probably time. It could be May, June or beyond before one to my liking becomes available. It will be a long winter to be sure.

I'll just add to the list....ordered mine the day after it was unveiled in Milan. Totaled my 08RT in a bad accident in sept and I definitely like what I see in the 14 RT. If I hadn't totaled mine I probably would have traded in on the new one either way. Insurance company gave a good pay out.

Can't wait to get it in the garage. Oh I ordered it loaded quartz blue. I've been using a Zumo 660 for a while and the new nav V system looks like it has some great features I'm a big fan of integrating it the way they have.

Now if only I can replace my jacket that got trashed....seems its been discontinued...loved that jacket...sacrificed itself for little ole me. Nice thing about a crash is once you start walking again you can go shopping LOL.

Probably too early for anyone to know yet, but will a seat from a 05-13 RT fit the new 14?

A strange question!

If I may be so bold, why do you ask?

Probably too early for anyone to know yet, but will a seat from a 05-13 RT fit the new 14?

A strange question!

If I may be so bold, why do you ask?

I would think not. The 2014 seat looks totally different and ever more torturous.

And the question remains...why do you ask?

If, for example, I had $800 or so invested in a RDL seat for my 2005-2012 RT, I might like to continue using it on a 2014 RT.

I'll wager "not fit".

Like the GS, water cooled

This is a totally new bike.

Not just a new engine with an extra spark plug per cylinder like in 2003 R1150RT or a switch to overhead cam like in 2010 R1200RT ( although 2010 did bring bodywork changes as well.

Probably just about every piece will be different.

Finding a seat that is comfortable/fits you, can be pricey and time consuming.

Look at it this way, you have plenty of time to advertise the seat for sale at the price you'd like, b-4 the new RT arrives.

Stimulate the economy... spend baby spend

I think the BMW Top Cases might fit though, the small and the large.

Just seen the new RT at M/C Live, UK, and certainly it looks very interesting but the dull drab colours don't do it any favours. In the UK the outgoing RT was available with a one piece comfort seat which is significantly better than the stock seat but there is no mention of this in the literature and no one on the stand could tell me anything more.

The other major concern for me is that they have lowered the pegs, will this affect ground clearance? The outgoing RT had good clearance when banked over and it seldom scraped the hero blobs, let's hope they haven't spoilt this aspect.

Prices , in the UK, are similar to the outgoing model for standard and SE model, not sure about the top of the range LE prices. Guess I will wait until the bike press have had a few test rides and I can get a test ride before committing to buy.

Hi Beaky, if they have lowered the pegs, I am pretty sure it will not have lost any ground clearance. In fact I am led to believe it will have greater lean angle as the bike is narrower at the seat/ footpeg area, and the centre stand is tucked well up.

Thanks Andy, I hope you're right and surely even BMW wouldn't make a new model that was a retrograde step! Certainly the seat on the show bikes seemed very low, even the standard seat on the high setting felt low although there is the option of a higher seat which is a nice touch for us taller riders.

The BMW guy at the UK Motorcycle Show said last weekend said that he had tried that and the old top-cases will not fit the new machine.

It gives you the opportunity to purchase one with central locking. :)

The BMW guy at the UK Motorcycle Show said last weekend said that he had tried that and the old top-cases will not fit the new machine.

It gives you the opportunity to purchase one with central locking. :)

Why of course, silly me

What was I thinking...

Why of course, silly me

What was I thinking...

It would indeed be silly to limit the designers to the same frame as the 9-year-old bike just so the same seat could be used.

Why of course, silly me

What was I thinking...

It would indeed be silly to limit the designers to the same frame as the 9-year-old bike just so the same seat could be used.

We were not commenting about seats....

We were referring to top cases.

The ones that fit on '06-'08K 1200GT, '09-10 K1300GT, '05-'13 R1200RT, F800ST and possibly others.

If you've never seen it, this early release spy video of the new RT sure appears to show the same old 29 litre top case on the back.

That's why I thought that maybe t'was a carryover.

d'milan

I believe the top case from previous years will fit the new bike. The old style RT case will fit on the GT rack as does the newer GT case obviously. The newer GT case appears to be the same one shown on the 14 show bikes. (RT)

Pat

• 2 weeks later...

So, I saw the new RT at the NY motorcycle show today. I liked it a lot. The ergonomics for my 5'11" 200lb, 31" inseam frame is quite good. The reach to the bars is neutral and very comfortable. Very little, if any, forward lean. Less forward lean than the stock position of the bars on my '11. The only bike on display had the standard height seat and I was able to flatfoot the bike easily. I'd try the tall seat just to see about adding a little room from the seat to the pegs but if I wasn't able to get near flatfoot I'd probably stick with the standard height seat. The seat is far and above what the stock seat on my '11 was and if the padding holds up this would be the first seat in a long time that I didn't have modified. Narrow in front, wide at the back providing excellent support in the riding position. Gauge display is good and I particularly like the position of the GPS holder. The only negative I picked up is a big bump in the upper half of the left saddlebag where it mounts to the bike. You lose quite a bit of bag space as a result. While they certainly could be, they didn't seem larger than the bags on my '11. In the end, I'm still excited about it and can't wait to ride one. The BMWNA rep I was talking to couldn't tell me much about the riding experience as he hasn't ridden one yet and expects there haven't been many, if any, test rides here in the states. Regarding price, he said prices hadn't been announced yet but would be surprised if it was much more than $500 over the MSRP for the '13 model. I'm taking that comment with a grain of salt.

Thanks for the report.

I'm one of those individuals, with a 34in inseem, that wished BMW had left the seat height alone. I can see the tall seat will be in order and likely require further modifications.

Archived