IGNORED

Less then 8 weeks to Torrey!!!

azkaisr

It is 58 degrees here.........I may need my Widder just to get outs town.

2 days now......

Whip

Wasn't that change beautiful. Yesterday was our first day below 90 since April!!!!!

If anyone needs to get away on the bike, it is me. I have only ridden 3 times since Spring Torrey and I have been looking forward to the last full weekend in September all summer long. Between work, little league baseball, and church duties, I have been swamped.

However... my kids are out of school on Friday, 9/26 and we are talking about a family camping trip. To try to weigh all of my options, I thought I would list them here for input.

Option A - blow off the family and come hang with you all.

Option 2 - haul the RV and family to Torrey and park it in Killers driveway and do day trips in the Suburban to keep the kids entertained.

Option III - haul the RV and family someplace else and skip Torrey altogether.

If I do bring the whole family down, I will have to teach my kids few things first. Lesson #1, never pull anyones finger when asked, especially if the one asking is smoking a stinky cegar and wearing a hi-vis hoodie sweatshirt. Lesson #2, never forget lesson #1.

Debi and I will be making our decision pretty quick so I can cancel my reservations if needed.

Help?

Option 2 - haul the RV and family to Torrey and park it in Killers driveway and do day trips in the Suburban to keep the kids entertained.
That's an easy decision.

I like your kids, and believe me, I don't say that about many kids!

Andy, it will be good to see you and Debbi again.

You may as well come on down it the RV and bring the family as this Torrey is turning out to be a gathering of riders who don't care to ride on the pavement. So a trip in the Suburban with the kids into the Park or Goblin Valley would be fun for them and the roads should be free of "those" road racer wanna-bes. :dopeslap:

Hope to see you there.

Is the Suburban 4wd? Either way if it is dry you can easily go up on top of Boulder Mountain in it and make the Cathedral Valley loop. Wouldn't try either in the wet without 4wd.

skinny_tom (aka boney)
Is the Suburban 4wd? Either way if it is dry you can easily go up on top of Boulder Mountain in it and make the Cathedral Valley loop. Wouldn't try either in the wet without 4wd.

And, if the kids haven't had a walk through Capitol Gorge or seen the Pioneer Register then that would be a nice trip too. There's some good trails in the park that are worth a walk.

That is a NO BRAINER

144167116_xuKHM-M.jpg

Bring the Jedi's!!!

144167812_hhDqH-M.jpg

That would be a total hoot!!!

I will even babysit them (I already have to watch Whip) for nothing!

Tom

I want to do the Capitol Gorge Hike while there. Is there some where I can print out maps online?
I was just looking at the area on Google Maps but it isn't a lot of help. It's not hard to find Capitol Gorge, take the scenic drive through Capitol Reef NP, when the road ends you are at the mouth of the Gorge (that used to be the only road in the area until 1960). If you stop where the pavement ends it's quite a hike to the Mormon Register, it's a good dirt road down to the mouth which plenty of people do on street bikes.
To try to weigh all of my options, I thought I would list them here for input.........

I'm voting option 2. Lots of good dirt roads for the car and you can always tie in a hike in one of the parks or something. If Killers house gets too packed, I also remember Randy letting someone park an RV in the parking lot of the Chuckwagon one of the previous Torreys. Not sure what or if he charged him.

As for the guy with the yellow jacket and smelly cigar. He was awesome with Jack and I'd totally trust him around your kids, just so long as you don't have a smoking hot 18 year old daughter. The only person to ask Jack to pull his finger was Fernando. :grin:

Thanks Bob, that sounds easy enough. I've ridden the RT on lots of dirt roads and have no concerns there. I've ridden the whole Torrey area over the years and I'm looking forward to doing some hiking and the Gorge looks nice. Any other hikes you might recommend?

Thanks Bob, that sounds easy enough. I've ridden the RT on lots of dirt roads and have no concerns there. I've ridden the whole Torrey area over the years and I'm looking forward to doing some hiking and the Gorge looks nice. Any other hikes you might recommend?

The road down to the Gorge is worth the price of admission.

We took it on the way to some dirt fun last year: http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=249464&an=

Any other hikes you might recommend?
My favourite hike is Hickman Bridge, it's only a mile each way with some steepish bits but lots to look at and a great arch at the end of it. It's just south of the visitor centre on UT24, big parking lot is easy to spot. If you want to go a bit further go to Lower Calf Creek Falls off Hwy 12, great 5.5 mile round trip to some lovely falls.
The road down to the Gorge is worth the price of admission.

We took it on the way to some dirt fun last year:

Just to be clear the dirt road that Russell took is not the one that leads to the Gorge - he turned right at the end of the pavement where you will go straight. You can ride the Pleasant Creek road he took until you reach the first water but that's it, there are some views down there, and some sand.

I was just trying some layering combinations. My winter jacket it really heavy and bulky. But my BMW jacket has a liner that can be taken in and out. But it also has lots of vent zippers for hot weather. I'm thinking with my heated vest under it and the liner in I would be OK. My down ski jacket can be really compressed into a stuff bag and if things got really cold I could wear that either alone or under my BMW jacket without the liner. My winter riding pants can also be worn with or without jeans and or the liner.

NP Trail Guide

Hiking page

Park Map

I like Chimney Rock in addition to Hickman Bridge that Bob mentioned.

There are a number of truly world class hikes within an hour and half's drive. I only know one that is paved accessible: Calf Creek down near Escalante on 12. If you want to talk about others with dirt road access let me know. Maybe you can get together with Andy to make one of them.

Any other hikes you might recommend?
My favourite hike is Hickman Bridge, it's only a mile each way with some steepish bits but lots to look at and a great arch at the end of it. It's just south of the visitor centre on UT24, big parking lot is easy to spot.

As someone around here is prone to say, "+1" or "Worthy." Mrs. Bee and I took that hike on our first-ever visit to Torrey, sans bike (and wrong weekend) in 2004, and really enjoyed it.

Great suggestions and thanks for the maps and guides. I'll print them out and be all set. I'm hoping to do an easy hike Friday and then another on Saturday. I'm old and have 40 years of desert racing on my knees so easy is good. Hickman, Chimney Rock, and the Gorge all sound really good. I'm taking my back pack but I'll need to hike in tennis shoes. My hiking boots take up too much room.

Thanks again and anyone who wants to do some hiking is very welcome. I'm staying at the Capitol Reef Inn.

Andy, You and Deb take a ride around the county and I will have those kids whipped into shape by the time you return.

I think Killer's lawn might need mowing and triming.

They know Old Uncle Wurty might make them really appreciate Mom & Dad a bit more..

I think y'all should come on down, however you want to do it.

I think y'all should come on down, however you want to do it.

Just ask Jamie . . . or better yet, ask Jack! Huh, Brian?

I'll call the chuck wagon today and get on the list. It would be nice to squeeze in there on a cancelation.

It's kinda last minute I didn't think I was going to be able to go.

My son wants to come and check it out so where gonna cage it.

See ya there. Getting excited now :clap:

What's the Libation for this round ? :/

I'll call the chuck wagon today and get on the list. It would be nice to squeeze in there on a cancelation.

It's kinda last minute I didn't think I was going to be able to go.

My son wants to come and check it out so where gonna cage it.

See ya there. Getting excited now :clap:

What's the Libation for this round ? :/

It well be good to see ya agean and met the Mad Toilet Bomber. :grin: You mite check with Sue at the Boulder View Inn to see if she has a room open..

What's the Libation for this round ?

Clear Liquor.....Vodka, Gin, etc.......

I'm lookin forward to meetin the young man.

Bags of coal....... :thumbsup:

Whip

Jack made a new friend with Jamie. Although, I couldn't tell if it was Jamie entertaining Jack or the other way around. She didn't even ask him to pull her finger once.

Jack made a new friend with Jamie. Although, I couldn't tell if it was Jamie entertaining Jack or the other way around. She didn't even ask him to pull her finger once.

364469478_UYLLJ-L.jpg

364477821_5fLQR-L.jpg

Time is getting close and poor Richard is fit to be tied.... picked up his bike yesterday at SF BMW, after having a new final drive installed... only to get home and have the cracked handle bar (if you recall from an earlier ride tale) break!!!

Looks like he might be riding b#$*^ this time :grin:.

Time is getting close and poor Richard is fit to be tied.... picked up his bike yesterday at SF BMW, after having a new final drive installed... only to get home and have the cracked handle bar (if you recall from an earlier ride tale) break!!!

Looks like he might be riding b#$*^ this time :grin:.

Cool! Isn't that where he really belongs??? :thumbsup:

We are on our way......

:clap:

Try to get on and send you some good wishes for your departure, but I couldn't get the site to come up at 1:30 this morning. I thought about calling, but I didn't want to disturb

the dogs. :grin:

I'm on the road tomorrow morning, but I'm taking the long way...Texas to Utah via Wisconsin. :eek:

I see that the aspen trees are starting to turn colors, making our ride that much nicer.
Yup, I noticed this morning that are starting to turn up high on Thousand Lakes Mtn too.

I know you have all been wondering... Has Andy made up his mind and who will be coming to Torrey. Well, the winner is...

Actually, I don't know if it is a winner or not, but I will be attending this Fall's Torrey by myself. Debi recognizes that I need some time to ride and recommended that I go by myself. We will take the family camping the following weekend.

So I will see you all there.

I know you have all been wondering... Has Andy made up his mind and who will be coming to Torrey. Well, the winner is...

Actually, I don't know if it is a winner or not, but I will be attending this Fall's Torrey by myself. Debi recognizes that I need some time to ride and recommended that I go by myself. We will take the family camping the following weekend.

So I will see you all there.

I guess she had enough of you?

So she dumps you on us??

:grin:

I'll see Ya All Thursday, I'm bringing the coal sellin, toilet blowin up bass player kid with me :/
:thumbsup: I cant wait to talk to you kid,A lot of the music hes playing I grew up with,,in the 60s and 70s,,I even remember SOME of the concerts I went to,, :thumbsup:

Archived