IGNORED

Less then 8 weeks to Torrey!!!

azkaisr

Wow, that part of Utah isn't exactly bashful about showing off her Fall colors at this time of the year! As one of those Torrey noobs, I understand much better now that I'll pack riding gear suitable for cold temps (snow in September?). Looks like mesh jackets are out, solid textiles with liners or heated is in.

Jeff

(snow in September?).
You will certainly want warm clothing but all the pictures of snow are above 9000 feet - Torrey is at 6800 feet. It has snowed in town on fall Torrey weekends but only briefly. Nights and mornings will be cool (that's cold for west coasters, frigid for Californians, arctic for Arizonans) Frost is not unusual although the rabbit brush is only starting to bloom now which is supposed to be 6 weeks before the first frost. Almost no chance of ice as there is almost no chance of water.

arctic for Arizonans

There is a lot of NE Arizona above 9K feet and quite cold. Even in the south (Tucson and south) it is between 3K and 5K and can be nippy with teens and 20s common in the mornings....but not in September thank goodness!!

Last fall proved to have both extremes. I wore all mesh on the way in and all weekend until leaving Sunday in 20 degree temps!

I had also packed my winter gear which was much appreciated until getting to 89 at the 14 where I switched back into mesh (and a cooling vest) for the deserts home.

California and warm climate riders that are new to the region should come prepared for anything.

skinny_tom (aka boney)

There is a lot of NE Arizona above 9K feet and quite cold. Even in the south (Tucson and south) it is between 3K and 5K and can be nippy with teens and 20s common in the mornings....but not in September thank goodness!!

Heck, the last two times I was in Tucson it snowed. :grin:

It doesn't count as two times, they were both on the same trip. And one insident only is too few to be statistically valid so basically it never snowed :grin:

--

Mikko

WOW !!! Only 3 weeks til Torrey.

Over the past few weeks we have talked about many things when we get to Torrey, but in the interest of the newbies that will be there, and who will not be riding off road, I think the “Veterans of Torrey” need to come up with some good ride routes for them. Not only do we need to come up with some of our most memorable routes, we need to have a few veterans to lead the way.

OK, so come up with a few routes that you like and take the NEWBIE's with you. I'll put my VOTE in to have you be the new Fall Torrey Ambassador aka Tour Guide. :)

OK, so come up with a few routes that you like and take the NEWBIE's with you. I'll put my VOTE in to have you be the new Fall Torrey Ambassador aka Tour Guide.

For Rodger's new role, I suggest he dole out the following advice:

Rule #1: Don't park next to Jerry.

russell_bynum

OK, so come up with a few routes that you like and take the NEWBIE's with you. I'll put my VOTE in to have you be the new Fall Torrey Ambassador aka Tour Guide.

Rule #2: Don't park behind Marty.

Rule #2: Don't park in front of Marty.

Stop with the Marty stuff.....

He promised me he wasn't comin to Torrey this time.

:clap:

Hi Marty

Whip

So who is going to buy us dinner then Whip since Marty isn't coming????

skinny_tom (aka boney)
It doesn't count as two times, they were both on the same trip. And one insident only is too few to be statistically valid so basically it never snowed :grin:

--

Mikko

There sure was a lot of white stuff. I wonder what it was?

--

Mikko

There sure was a lot of white stuff. I wonder what it was?

heavymetal13.jpg

Now, let's see who knows this picture.

Did a 12k service on the Adventure yesterday. New fluids from FD to tranny to oil. Adjusted the Baehr comm for better sound. Found out that AZAl installed my ear plugs backwards! Woops. Not that it matters. Played around with B2B to ensure it works properly, it does.

Counting the days!!!!!! T minus 21 and counting . . .

Rule #2: Don't park in front of Marty.

Oops, looks like I missed Russell's post. He beat me too it...

So, now, then, instead,

Rule #3: Irregardless of the Official Torrey Libations thread, bring whatever you like to drink...

Oh and is this a good place to point out, in true BMWST hair splitting tradition, that "Clear" is not necessarily colorless, merely transparent, so in any event, nearly anything goes anyway. :clap:

Jan

Irregardless

Darn it, you must be married to a lawyer! LINKY

:/:/

And for those who might not understand the "drinking" aspect of what is being discussed, allow me to clear something up! Torrey is not about drinking, it is about people. Torrey is not where one goes to get drunk, it is about the people.

Quite a few have found that through the bringing of different libations, we have found a great way to not break our own piggy banks, yet, try a variety of different brands/styles/types of drinks in a very social low key setting. I'd much rather buy one bottle of rum, for example, than to buy the 8 different ones that will be there so I can figure out which one I do or do not like. Oh, and Torrey, it's about the people.

You may even have seen some hilarious photos that one might make the connection with drinking. You would be very wrong. We all get very high on life, the people, and the camaraderie that is Torrey. Most sheep photos were taken while stone cold sober!!!!! Camel photos too.

Oh, and it's about the people in case you missed that one! Hope to see lots of regulars and even more newbies. Afterall, the newbies are responsible to buy the first round!

I'm kidding!!!!!

21 days and counting!

skinny_tom (aka boney)

21 days and counting!

The KTM is mostly prepped. The valves are in spec, oil is good, coolant in check, air filter is clean and oiled, the HID lights are installed and melting paint, and if we're all lucky (mostly me) the new muffler can will be installed this weekend and I won't have to listen to that A-crap-o-vich that's on there now. (with any luck there won't be any re-jetting)

Irregardless

Darn it, you must be married to a lawyer! LINKY

:/:/

Just so we're clear on this, I never use that particular alleged word. I practice in an administrative setting where one syllable words seem to be most effective. :/

Its still 21 days!!!??? It must be true that time slows down when you're waitin' to go to Torrey. :wave:

Its still 21 days!!!??? It must be true that time slows down when you're waitin' to go to Torrey.
Not when you have two business trips in the next 14 days prior to Torrey... :)
Most sheep photos were taken while stone cold sober!!!!! Camel photos too.

Now that's the scariest comment of all. :eek:

Not really......weeellllllllllll......maybe.

100840957_dtpP4-L.jpg

99856217_JuVDF-L.jpg

99910245_DHkc3-L.jpg

I'm sorry but the BRR thread is 10 posts ahead of Torrey and they have an extra 2 weeks. This is a completely gratuitous post for no purpose other than playing catch up. :grin:

To keep things official, only 3 weeks to go to Torrey, but I hit the road in 2. :clap:

AdventurePoser

California and warm climate riders that are new to the region should come prepared for anything.

I'm not even attending unless it can be as cold as DV was a couple of times ago....

Jeez, now THAT was cold!

Steve in So Cal

I'm not even attending unless it can be as cold as DV was a couple of times ago....

Jeez, now THAT was cold!

Steve in So Cal

Departing Torrey after last Fall's event I saw temps down to 12 degrees (Farenheit). Cold enough for you??? :grin::wave:

Anything has to be better than the constant mid to high 90s we have everyday. I'm looking forward to some much cooler temps. :thumbsup:

I'm so ready to hit the road. :cry:

Is it too early to start packing? :)

Anything has to be better than the constant mid to high 90s we have everyday. I'm looking forward to some much cooler temps. :thumbsup:

I'm so ready to hit the road. :cry

eddd,

start packing!!!!! you are more then welcome to come on out and visit Richard and I :grin:.

J-

I'm so ready to hit the road. :cry:

Aren't you just staying packed this year?

I guess that would have been an option, and it will definately make sense with Torrey, Hill Country, and Silver City all within a five week span. :thumbsup:

"Don't pick on Edd he is fragile"

Nothing that a little time with friends won't fix, Amigo! :wave:

And finally, Jacqueline...Thanks for the offer, but as you can tell from the schedule mentioned above, I don't think I could take off anymore than I already have plannned. But...retirement is right around the corner! :clap:

I guess we need to issue a warning for the newbies about parking...

Attention all First Tie Riders to Torrey...

If you come to Torrey, and If you hear there is a storm arriving, and IF you park anywhere near a tree, you may have the opportunity to see amazing feats of physics including demonstrations of gravity, the principle of levers and of the use of power tools.

You have been warned, if not warmed.

I'm down to 11 days (and counting). I'm gonna start packing. :thumbsup:

Thanks for putting a damper on my day!! :(

16 days to launch for me. :cry:

I am looking at 14 and a wake up here. Though part of me is thinking about sneaking up early too and maybe work out of Killers. Cause I know with Larry and Killer, I will get a lot of real work done.

T minus 17 and counting.

12k service complete.

Systems checked and updated.

B2B repaired and functioning.

Off Road pack set up and ready to go - spare tubes, wrenches, etc.

SPOT Messenger mount received. Needs install on Friday.

Damn it! I just realized that the clock has stopped working. It suddenly seems to have slowed significantly! :dopeslap::dopeslap:

T minus 17 and counting.

12k service complete.

Damn it! I just realized that the clock has stopped working. It suddenly seems to have slowed significantly! :dopeslap::dopeslap:

I dont see Jamie on your check list,,,,???? Forget that and yowl pay,,,,Big Time,, :eek:
T minus 17 and counting.

12k service complete.

I dont see Jamie on your check list,,,,???? Forget that and yowl pay,,,,Big Time,, :eek:

I'm on hers!

I'm down to 11 days (and counting). I'm gonna start packing. :thumbsup:

Thanks for putting a damper on my day!! :(

16 days to launch for me. :cry:

I'm thinking you might like to move things up a bit... oh never mind, you've got to stay and help. Man, twice in one season maybe. Ouch!!!!

211731W_sm.gif

Dolly was enough, thank you very much.

The effects of Dolly as still evident everywhere, including huge piles of tree limbs lining almost every rural road. Right now Ike looks like it will be well to the north of Los Fresnos.

Archived