IGNORED

Less then 8 weeks to Torrey!!!

azkaisr

Me thinks I need a dirt bike!
I told Sharon to get a GS a while ago... what's keeping her? :)

I've been (foolishly, and perhaps in vain) waiting for the F650GS twin. :dopeslap:

Albert, you can easily do both the Fish Lake loop and the scenic drive in one day. The order to do them depends the weather, the 'monsoon' season should be over by then so you could do the scenic drive in the morning while it is cool and Fish Lake in the afternoon, if afternoon storms seem likely do it the other way round. Wouldn't be the first time there's been snow up at Fish Lake on a BMWST weekend...

One of the big reasons I decided on a road bike after the years of competition was the areas you can ride off road are getting smaller and smaller. I have raced pretty much everything in the southwest and Baja but there was so much of the USA I had never seen. Still is! I've not yet been to the South or Canada or Alaska. Those are in my plans. I found toward the end of my career racing I just wasn't willing to ride at 110% which is what it takes to win and I'm a very unhappy second place guy! One of the reasons I don't usually go riding with a group like at John Day is I've learned finally to turn off the adrenalin and enjoy the view. When many of us meet in the evening I hear the stories of close calls and think "been there done that". There is absolutely no thrill like riding the last 300 miles of the Baja 1000 at high speed in the dark waiting for a steer to step out of the brush into your path. I thought of that leaving John Day at 3AM heading home watching for deer. But these days I just slow down and think how blessed I am to still be able to enjoy the ride. Dual sport riding is an absolute blast and I think often about getting a GS. For any of you who haven't ridden dirt I would encourage you for many reasons but a big one is the skills I acquired on a loose surface have often saved my bacon on the street. Looking forward to seeing you all in Torrey.

gregg

Firefight911
Who wants to get dirty on Saturday??????????????

11,000 feet or bust!!!!!!

11000 feet means either Boulder Top or Thousand Lakes top. I would like to something a bit more interesting than the spring ride which ws just a stroll along good dirt roads. We could go up to Boulder Top from Bicknell on the dirt roads and ride around up there from end to end, there is a small loop but some backtracking will be necessary. Then those that want to can take the ATV trail down the side of Boulder Mountain, it's not particularly technical but has some loose spots and some narrowish spots with drops off the side, wide enough for an ATV so no problem for us. Much more interesting than just riding on dirt roads. If I have time I'll run the ATV trail before people get to Torrey.

Interested?

What are we looking for range if we do this. Need to decide if I should set up the bike for extra fuel.

I'll have to work out the distance but if the truck comes up on the high top we can take gas or I can stash it like I did last year. Less than 100 miles even if you go all the way to the far end of the high top, which is worthwhile for the view over the edge.

Gregg, well stated. I never raced dirt or pavement but as the old saying... "Old riders, Bold riders but no Old Bold riders"

Most squidly riders are off the road (one way or another) long before age 50+.

lawnchairboy

you will not be disappointed. Wish I could make it for the fall. Next spring for sure with a dual sport.

chris

Hopz and Suz...IN got the Kiva at the Cap Reef... and on the list for Chuck Wagon... arr Friday, depart Sun am.

Now, we just need to keep the weather Gods happy.

I emailed CAPITAL REEF INN regarding internet and this was his reply for others staying there.

We have wireless internet in our cafe ( on premises).

Southey, owner, Capitol Reef Inn & Cafe

skinny_tom (aka boney)
I emailed CAPITAL REEF INN regarding internet and this was his reply for others staying there.

We have wireless internet in our cafe ( on premises).

Southey, owner, Capitol Reef Inn & Cafe

Generally, Bob has wireless on the front porch too. Just so you know.

EDIT:

And no, I am not watching this thread contemplating being the courier of all carried NorCal bikes so we can all have less fuel expense and I can not have to ride the KTM for many many dreaded hours on the highway.

That is also, just so you know.

That is good to know. I will take my laptop. It has been a few years since I've been to Torrey. Last time there was only dial up at the CW. You can tell it has been awhile.

Firefight911
That is good to know. I will take my laptop. It has been a few years since I've been to Torrey. Last time there was only dial up at the CW. You can tell it has been awhile.

Unfortunately, cell phones also work in Torrey now.

Well it seems cell phones are pretty much every where these days. I sat in my chair at the fairgrounds in John Day closing an escrow. The laptop and cell phone can always be turned off but are a big help in allowing me to do these rides and still pay for my tires. I remember in the "old" days carrying a roll of quarters for pay phones. Many young people today don't even know what a pay phone is I suspect.

I was surprised at the coverage in Alaska and the Yukon. Not much between towns but within 10 miles or so I usually got a good signal (Sprint). This included Dawson Creek, Watson Lake, Whitehorse, Dawson City, Tok, Fairbanks and even in Deadhorse (Prudhoe Bay).

I'll bet by the next time you go there will be coverage everywhere. When I went to the Cody Un I went through whole states without coverage. I was so frustrated with my provider (Nextel) I bought a Verizon phone in Cody. Now there is coverage everywhere.

...Many young people today don't even know what a pay phone is I suspect.
It's really not their fault though. Shoot, most prolly don't know what a quarter is. Most young adults can't make change at the register without the machine telling what to give back.

Answer..... You BOTH ride, leave the truck at home :grin:.

I don't think the X Challenge will fit on either bike!

Then leave it behind, there's plenty of paved road to explore and you don't have to share bikes or driving duty.

Answer..... You BOTH ride, leave the truck at home :grin:.

I don't think the X Challenge will fit on either bike!

Now come on.... if the famous "Barb" (from Alaska Leather) can ride her X Challenge from Anchorage to Dawson City (and I saw her do it)... you Sir can ride your from your home to Torrey!!!

I know, I know it has a small tank but where there is a will, there is a way! :grin: You going to let a girl show you up?

Dam,

That's gonna leave a mark!!!!

Just ride the thing. OR, take the GS and ride it in the dirt there. Isn't that the point of having a GSA?

"THE MARK" has been indellibly left. That had to smart.

Has this site been invaded by posers? All this talk about taking the trailer loaded with bikes to what used to be a motorcycle gathering is really giving me the willies. This ain't Sturgis folks, wrong locale. YIKES!

pssssst! Any real riders left out there?

I have no intention of trailering to Torrey.

Dude, are you IN? Would be great to meet you! I think you should be IN.

Jan

The last 4 years have taught me that I should be non-committal; I got really tired of canceling each appearance for the first 2 years when stuff popped up. I finally made it out, only to encounter a bounty of help offered up by members of the DB:

burgy_in_truck.sized.jpg

It is my intention to be there, and I've got things in the works to be there. But saying any more might just jinx me.

The last 4 years have taught me that I should be non-committal; I got really tired of canceling each appearance for the first 2 years when stuff popped up. I finally made it out, only to encounter a bounty of help offered up by members of the DB:

burgy_in_truck.sized.jpg

It is my intention to be there, and I've got things in the works to be there. But saying any more might just jinx me.

Fair enough!

Jan

I have no intention of trailering to Torrey.

No one needs the R & R more than you may man!!!!

I sure hope you can make it.

Whip

skinny_tom (aka boney)
Has this site been invaded by posers? All this talk about taking the trailer loaded with bikes to what used to be a motorcycle gathering is really giving me the willies. This ain't Sturgis folks, wrong locale. YIKES!

You wanna put your money where your mouth is? How about YOU ride my KTM out there. I didn't think so.

BeniciaRT_GT

You wanna put your money where your mouth is? How about YOU ride my KTM out there. I didn't think so.

Last I saw, you still had an RT...

And could ride the #^&$##@ out of it!!!

343485201_WaKAs-M.jpg

343482904_P4mfc-L.jpg

All kidding aside:

Greg,

After several of the same rides many of them have taken in Torrey, (I think all of them have been a bunch of times...) and the incredible sights when off-roading, I can see why so many want to take dirt bikes. Even a dual sport isn't really good for the big distance rides, much less a dedicated dirt bike!

Riding is riding, even off-road!

AdventurePoser

After the Unrally, The Lovely Flame wants to do Torrey this year. She had a blast meeting you all!

We will probably leave Friday afternoon, stay in Mesquite Friday night, and ride in Saturday. We'd leave Sunday morning!

Hope to see you all there...

Cheers,

Steve in So Cal

skinny_tom (aka boney)

While we're at it, you're not gonna see this view from pavement:

Torrey059.jpg

or this one:

Torrey055.jpg

etcetera ad infinitum

After the Unrally, The Lovely Flame wants to do Torrey this year. She had a blast meeting you all!

We will probably leave Friday afternoon, stay in Mesquite Friday night, and ride in Saturday. We'd leave Sunday morning!

Hope to see you all there...

Cheers,

Steve in So Cal

Nice!

LOL! You deliver it to me, I'll ride it! Careful, I may not give it back. hahaha

You folks are so sensitive. Lighten up already. Everybody, ride whatever makes you happy, trailer it, push it, just get to Torrey. Name it if it makes you happy. Just make sure you come to Torrey and have fun and be happy. That's what I'll be doing.

Well it seems cell phones are pretty much every where these days. I sat in my chair at the fairgrounds in John Day closing an escrow. The laptop and cell phone can always be turned off but are a big help in allowing me to do these rides and still pay for my tires. I remember in the "old" days carrying a roll of quarters for pay phones. Many young people today don't even know what a pay phone is I suspect.

Hey, in the "old days" a laptop was someplace you tried to get the girls to sit and a pay phone had a separate ear piece. :grin:

If you ever show up again to a Torrey, I will give you the answer :)

XXoo

Kaisr

Well Steve that is for sure better than your round trip just for dinner!

gregg

russell_bynum

Nobody's forcing you come hang out with all of these posers.

:wave:

russell_bynum

We're a maybe.

Depending on how the little dude is doing and how Lisa's doing (though she'll be ready to throw down some crazy Travis Pastrana air on her DR200 if she keeps at it the way she's going now).

If we make it, it'll likely just be the DRZ in the truck, but we'll see.

"it'll likely just be the DRZ in the truck, but we'll see."

Now were talkin..........

Youngest member to ever attend Torrey??????? (6 weeks)

Coooollll!!!!

:clap:

Whip

russell_bynum
"it'll likely just be the DRZ in the truck, but we'll see."

Now were talkin..........

Youngest member to ever attend Torrey??????? (6 weeks)

Coooollll!!!!

:clap:

Whip

Doctor said OK to travel.

We'll need to keep him away from the stinky ceegar smoke, but otherwise it's pretty much going to be "Do we want to drive 1500 miles with a newborn?"

russell_bynum
"Do we want to drive 1500 miles with a newborn?"

AzAl is your friend! :grin:

He's actually pretty good as far as the crying goes. I'm more thinking about the general PIA of having to stop every couple of hours for feedings, etc.

There's no stopping.

Throw em in the back seat with Lisa and plug him in.

No time wasted.

Now watching her drive the car and do the mom things is the fun part :grin:

lawnchairboy

enjoy this time when you and mom and the munchkin are a highly mobile package, take advantage of it. Before you know it, the munchkin will be inherently highly self mobile, that's when it gets really interesting in terms of doing things like taking long car rides and plane flights. I did 6 international legs with a 17month old in 2002 and then a couple of transpacifics with a 15month old and a 3 year old after that.

THAT is a marraige tester.

Healthy newborn? Piece of cake. Enjoy Torrey.

skinny_tom (aka boney)

In for sure. Tuesday to Monday. Working on lodging (or not)- maybe I'll just go up the hill and look for a place to sleep like Patience did.

Flyingreg, thanks for the offer to ride my KTM there for me, but I'm not willing to wait for it to arrive. I've already got close to 1000 miles of trails mapped.

I know folks are on standby at the Chuckwagon, but on 6-August I was able to book a room at Capitol Reef Inn. CRI might not be the "hotspot" like CW is, but their adjacent restaurant reportedly has good food. I've been near the Torrey but this (hopefully) will be my first time there and obviously same for the bi-annual meet.

Jeff

...Flyingreg, thanks for the offer to ride my KTM there for me, but I'm not willing to wait for it to arrive. I've already got close to 1000 miles of trails mapped.
Actually, it was your challenge, however, I won't be there until Friday. So, you're right, you'd miss a bunch of riding time. Maybe next time...

Enjoy the trail riding.

Archived